Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: 121GW Multimeter on Kickstarter  (Read 72580 times)

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: 121GW Multimeter on Kickstarter
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2017, 11:44:07 am »
Will I get a tracking number and information when my order is on it's way? Dave you said the first 40 will be sent on 5th Dec when I remember correct. Last info I got was from 25th Nov with confirmation of order #11039 but up to now no shipping confirmation. Sorry, but I am so curious.  :palm:

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2017, 04:11:33 pm »
Also, it is only true for business to customer sales. Then, the importer is also liable for handling guarantee issues and so on and so forth.
The only way I think it might work would be a private person from Luxembourg importing the meters and doing private sales to the community without telling anyone officially because by law it would no longer be a private sale with the amount of meters that person would be selling all over Europe.
The whole VAT issue is also just relevant for private persons.

Given that it's a Kickstarter, technically the meters are "gifts"  ;D
"Gift" only raises the duty-free threshold from (in the UK) about £18 to £36  , so not relevant to this item  other than maybe the plausibility of paying £20 to ship something worth less than the postage)
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »
The customs fee is not a big deal I think. It's normal that europeans (and others too) have to pay a VAT. In Germany it is 19% plus about 12,50 EUR that DHL takes for pre-paying the VAT. You can make a contract with DHL in Germany to allow them to charge the VAT directly from your bank account. Then you don't have to pay the extra DHL fee of about 12,50 EUR but sometimes DHL does not accept privat people for this contract.

Marking a package as gift is not a good idea for german customers because customs will open the parcel and when they "think" it is not a gift you will be charged not only the 19%. Being honest with the markings of a parcel is the best for German customers.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:40:30 pm by Candid »

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2017, 12:48:19 pm »
FWIW, my prediction is Dave sells 1842 DMMs in the Kickstarter campaign.
He already sold 1268 in 22 hours. IMO it will be at least 5k.

Nope, not a chance. I'll be surprised if it even gets to 2k.
I have blown my wad on marketing, unless I want to keep hammering it, but that will only pick up the stragglers.
I place my bet it will get 2k. Although I have more multimetrs than I need, if it does not reach 2k in 5 days (I think it will happen much faster), I'll buy one myself.
Well wraper, looks like you need to invent a new excuse to buy yourself one. :-DD

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
i never understood the concept of VAT. Value Added Tax.

- it is produced outside EU
- it is sold by a non EU company
- it is shipped from outside EU.

please, enlighten me : what value is added by the EU ? if the answer is none : how can it be taxed ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: WattSekunde

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2017, 01:38:19 pm »

please, enlighten me : what value is added by the EU ? if the answer is none : how can it be taxed ?

The tax is on the value that is added at each stage of the manufacturing/distribution process. For an imported item, the added value is 100% of the value. It's like an incremental sales tax.

If I sell a widget, and my BOM costs £10 and I sell for £20.
I pay 20% VAT on £10 to the parts supplier=£2,  and charge the customer 20% of the sales price = £4. I send the difference of £2 to HMRC, as the VAT on the value I have added.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:08:46 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2017, 02:32:23 pm »

It's just another word for sales tax. And in Europe it is raised on everything you buy as a consumer. It doesn't matter were it comes from.* Only the tariff differs from country to country, and is higher for luxury goods.

*Only exception is when we buy something outside the EU with a low value. In that case the government (at least in NL) doesn't bother and just let it pass.

Offline eeviking

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2017, 06:53:38 pm »
The customs fee is not a big deal I think. It's normal that europeans (and others too) have to pay a VAT. In Germany it is 19% plus about 12,50 EUR that DHL takes for pre-paying the VAT. You can make a contract with DHL in Germany to allow them to charge the VAT directly from your bank account. Then you don't have to pay the extra DHL fee of about 12,50 EUR but sometimes DHL does not accept privat people for this contract.

Marking a package as gift is not a good idea for german customers because customs will open the parcel and when they "think" it is not a gift you will be charged not only the 19%. Being honest with the markings of a parcel is the best for German customers.

Well. In Denmark the VAT is 25% (import below 11 EUR is exempt) and the fee for Postnord to handle the import is 21.50 EUR  :palm:
Only way for a private person to avoid the fee is to use a big door to door courier like UPS/FEDEX who have their own fee's, or prepay like with ebay's global shipping program.
Even DHL sometimes hands over to Postnord for local delivery.

I have seen Keysight ship to Denmark but only charge 21% VAT (pre paid) be course they import to EU via NL. Don't know if they are bending the rules.

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2017, 07:23:17 pm »

It's just another word for sales tax. And in Europe it is raised on everything you buy as a consumer. It doesn't matter were it comes from.* Only the tariff differs from country to country, and is higher for luxury goods.

*Only exception is when we buy something outside the EU with a low value. In that case the government (at least in NL) doesn't bother and just let it pass.

Officially it is not taxed if it is below €21 including shipping but in practice I never paid tax for anything below €100.

Offline VinzC

• Regular Contributor
  • See you later, oscillator.
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »

Like states needed to justify collecting taxes... :-DD In my country, VAT is paid by us, customers, regardless of where a product comes from and how many (including zero) times it has been transformed. It doesn't have to make sense, it's mandatory. And if you try to avoid it, you risk being fined for fraud.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2017, 08:56:03 pm »

I don't think that's what VAT is, but I also don't think you think that's what VAT is.

It's never about the value added by the EU or nation state. It's about the value added by the person handling the materials or goods. You pay tax over the bit you've increased in value. If you buy 10 monetary units worth of wood and turn it into an item worth 30 monetary units, you pay VAT over 20 monetary units. The other bits are paid by their respective value adders. Obviously, this VAT is transferred by the manufacturers to the customer. The customer sees a singular compounded figure, but it's typically a stack of smaller amounts.

Whether it's reasonable to tax added value is another story, but it's a common general tax to pay for a nation's general services. You can't always tax everything 1 to 1.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:59:16 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline eeviking

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2017, 08:58:08 pm »

Officially it is not taxed if it is below €21 including shipping but in practice I never paid tax for anything below €100.

Here we should pay tax for items above 11€ but a lot of small items slip through the customs unnoticed.
I have been charged 25€ (tax and fee) on 20$ item's for china |O
Then it is cheaper to refuse acceptance and reorder the item from another seller who only declare 10$  >:D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2017, 09:01:17 pm »
Here we should pay tax for items above 11€ but a lot of small items slip through the customs unnoticed.
Then it is cheaper to refuse acceptance and reorder the item from another seller who only declare 10$  >:D
Really, you'd do that? I'm all for bending the system to your favour, but that sounds like causing a lot of trouble for various people who had nothing to do with your decision to buy something for what's effectively chump change.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2017, 10:01:06 pm »
if the answer is none : how can it be taxed ?
Anything mike said and it might also serve the purpose of a simple import tax. As everyone who produces locally has to pay it, the local market would have a disadvantage. Rest of the formalities is described here.

The (imho) unfair part is: if you carry a newly bought item with you to Germany while crossing the border, there is a 300 Euro (430 Euro for Flight- and Sea-Travel) duty free limit for goods except alcohol, tobacco, fuel and such. So having it sent by mail to you counts as imported, bringing it by travel is free of duties.

Support your local planet.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2017, 10:51:50 pm »
Anything mike said and it might also serve the purpose of a simple import tax. As everyone who produces locally has to pay it, the local market would have a disadvantage. Rest of the formalities is described here.

The (imho) unfair part is: if you carry a newly bought item with you to Germany while crossing the border, there is a 300 Euro (430 Euro for Flight- and Sea-Travel) duty free limit for goods except alcohol, tobacco, fuel and such. So having it sent by mail to you counts as imported, bringing it by travel is free of duties.
Import tax is a separate thing, though it doesn't apply to many categories. EU residents should consider themselves lucky for intra EU taxing being a thing of the past.

Offline KNSSoftware

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2017, 11:24:59 pm »
if the answer is none : how can it be taxed ?

But it is a 'limit"/allowance, and it will only applicable to you outside the EU, as you can't hide from it here, they are all much the same.  They allow this basic policing, as it would not make economical sense for you to bypass local tax, by buying relatively expensive international crossings.  Not to mention, they don't want the headach of having to force you to declare everything little thing you may have picked up on your travel, vs proving what you had taken with you outbound that had your local tax already paid.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2017, 12:29:37 am »

That's interesting.
One of my options is to use a Chinese re-shipper who uses DHL Express.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2017, 12:36:23 am »

A big German test gear seller has offer to the re-shipping for me inside the EU.
They offer good internal postage rates, but there is no way to avoid the 19% German VAT, regardless of whether the meter is ultimately shipped within Germany outside of it.
I obviously cannot absorb a 19% VAT fee, so this would have to be an additional fee I charge backers in the EU
The advantage is that there should be zero customs hassles to the backer because it would be shipped internal in the EU via DHL.

I am contemplating giving people the option in the Kickstarter survey whether they want to pay the extra 19% VAT and get it quickly no hassles, or pay nothing extra up-front and "take their chances" via direct shipment into the EU. Opinions on this please...

The following users thanked this post: WattSekunde, raiden, PeterL, newbrain, BU508A

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2017, 01:13:43 am »
19% VAT and no additional import fees would be a bargain for EU residents where the local VAT rate is higher, in some countries 25% or more.

The following users thanked this post: Iwanushka, newbrain

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2017, 03:36:35 am »
19% VAT and no additional import fees would be a bargain for EU residents where the local VAT rate is higher, in some countries 25% or more.
Hungary takes the cake with 27%. Rates that high seem to be rare though. Luxembourg has the most advantageous rate at 17%, though in some countries reduced rates might apply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_value_added_tax

Offline Moragor

« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:26 am »
@EEVblog: I'm from Switzerland and I wanted to make sure that the shipments from Swiss backers get separated from pre-VATed EU ones since we're not members of the European union and have to pay fees for German imports.

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2017, 06:54:27 am »
Dave I can not back up your project as I'm in Iran, but I wish I could do that. Big thumbs up :-+ :-+ :-+
Also you mentioned in kickstarter that the meter would be open in schematics, where can we find it?
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2017, 09:22:59 am »
Re VAT / German Importer.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eevblog/eevblog-121gw-multimeter/posts/2070011

As I expected, this is very messy and not really worth the hassle.

Dave, the simple solution is just give a option of shipping method:

Simple:
DHL Express Courier: Which I believe is DHL Courier all the way. DHL handling everything and the 'Companies' who supported the Kickstarter and claim the VAT portion back
DHL eCommerce: Which I believe is final delivery by local post.  Supporters know how their local post offices handle taxes and can choose if advantageous to DHL delivery.

Messy:
3rd Party: If going ahead this needs to be a clean single option.  They will not want to be issuing zero rated invoices to companies etc, and you collecting the VAT is on dodgy legal grounds.
DHL China: If this is DHL all the way from China it is no different to option 1 above, except they do not take the invoice on face value and will inspect the parcel, and may revise upwards.  I have had this happen several times now.  In one case I kicked up a fuss and ended up getting all the VAT back, even though they said they were refunding just the over charge.

In all cases, a proper clearly itemised (Item and P&P shown separately) invoice should be available on the outside of the package.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:25:27 am by Towger »

Offline crispus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2017, 09:28:21 am »
How can one buy two or more meters?
I know I'm numskull, but I look around me and I feel better.

Online Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2017, 11:01:12 am »

I am contemplating giving people the option in the Kickstarter survey whether they want to pay the extra 19% VAT and get it quickly no hassles, or pay nothing extra up-front and "take their chances" via direct shipment into the EU. Opinions on this please...

Dave, will my KS pledge be updated automatically (+19% for VAT in EU) by the survey you've sent, or will I have to do that manually?

Frank

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf