Author Topic: Another miracle battery.  (Read 5095 times)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Another miracle battery.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:33:19 am »
For most of us, I suspect Eneloop is the gold standard when it comes to rechargeable AA cells.  These cells meet their rated mAh and are low self discharge.  They have been extensively tested and proven over 8 years by many independent tests.

For me, I see some problems with the Boost FP currently.

1) I don't need to see or understand their secret sauce.  I just need to see independent videos/reviews where Boost FP vs Eneloop 2400mAh cells are shown in a variety of devices.

2) Assuming the Boost FP works as claimed, the inventor says "Each battery would retail for between $10 to $15, he said." Currently Eneloops can be purchased between $2 and $3 depending on the sale, quantity, etc.  Ikea rebrands decent low self discharge 2000mAh ni-mh AA cells as their Ladda brand and they only cost $1.50 CDN each.

I have a Fluke 187 that requires 4 AA cells and only lasts 72 hours.  I presently use Eneloops in them.  For me to put Boost FP cells in them, it would cost between $40 and $60.  The cost alone will not make me buy them.  What happens if one cell leaks or I lose one or malfunctions?

If the Boost FP cells were in the same $2 to $3 range and proven to last longer, then it would be a no brainer.

For some applications, if the Boost FP cells last significantly longer, I can see some niche applications where the extra run time would be beneficial.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:40:52 am by retiredcaps »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 07:40:59 am »
BTW, I forgot to mention that many years ago I tried rechargeable alkaline companies from a Canadian company called Pure Energy.

I bought 4 AA and 4 AAA and their charger at Canadian Tire when it was on sale.  I think after the 5 or 10th recharge, the cells degraded significantly to the point where they wouldn't hold a charge and was basically garbage.  Their big claimed selling point was that their technology provided 1.5V vs the 1.2V ni-mh.

Maybe that technology is better today, but I have pretty much standardized on Eneloops.

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:46:11 am »
2) Assuming the Boost FP works as claimed, the inventor says "Each battery would retail for between $10 to $15, he said."

Thst is probably NZD (nz inventor, nz article, nz website)

makes it like 7-10 usd, somewhere around there

It's still probably bullshit, the "boost" in the name makes me think they are probably doing a slightly less dodgy take on the monkey butt guys.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 11:02:27 am »
The new technology which went into making Boost FP batteries was confidential, he said
:palm: "I built a spaceship in my shed, with secret technology. I'm also smarter than all the big manufacturer."

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:23:58 pm »
Yeah, I find it dubious that some random dude invented a new battery chemistry in his kitchen... It just doesn't track for me.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:59:11 am »
From the article:
Wigney said he wanted to develop a longer lasting battery because he was frustrated with existing battery technology and felt there had to be a better way to get more power out of rechargeables.
Every time I read this (is a real common phrase when an unknown inventor presents a new, revolutionary product) I ask myself:
Why aren't they honest and say: "there is a lot of money in this market and I want a piece of the pie, so I invented this"..

Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:19:04 am »
The name makes me suspect that these batteries are simply lithium ion cells with a bidirectional dcdc converter allowing them to output 1.5V and charge from 1.5V.

I'm pretty sure you can buy these already from Chinese suppliers.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »
Actually USBCell (UK company I believe) has this already available at your local store.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eco-cell-usb-cell-rechargeable-aa-batteries-4-pack-white-green/4471800.p?id=1219751164157&skuId=4471800

500 charge cycles, but it's a pretty anemic battery sitting in the low range of rechargeable AA batteries @1040mAh, just for the USB charging convenience.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:51:05 pm by miguelvp »

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 07:22:45 pm »
For most of us, I suspect Eneloop is the gold standard when it comes to rechargeable AA cells.

As a part-time photographer, I must say that Eneloops (specially the black ones) are the Gold, Platinum, Rhodium, Palladium, Rhenium and Diamond standard.

I usually work with 3 Nikon SB-910 speedlights, all of them fired off camera. With Eneloops I can easily get 600+ shots from them, at full power, a lot more on lower power levels and over 1500 if shooting from the camera using TTL measurement for power level. The only other AA cell that comes close (but not as quite) are the Energizer Ultimate Lithium, but they aren't recharchable and end up being a lot more expensive.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf