Author Topic: Aqua 100 IGG project  (Read 8279 times)

Offline rsjsouzaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Aqua 100 IGG project
« on: October 08, 2014, 02:43:35 pm »
Sharing an interesting project at IGG:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aqua-100-your-personal-swimming-coach

Also, for an IGG campaign, it actually has fully working prototypes for a change.

I don't recall seeing this type of gadget before, but it seems very interesting for serious swimmers.

As a full disclosure, I personally know two of three developers and they have been in the "sports gadgets" business for quite some time - a company called Tirante A. They have good hardware and DFM experience.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Aqua 100 IGG project
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:17:11 am »
looks like a nice product. I'm only wondering why there is so little funding for this inventive product.
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:41:19 am »
Looks clever.

I wonder if the pool length can be set to something other than a standard 25 yard length, in case some people don't often swim in a standard Olympic size pool. The design assumes that length in pool mode and one needs to swim in pool mode or the distance measurement will be off.

Description of the Total Distance Measurement,
In open water mode it uses an exclusive algorithm considering individual relation between DPS and Stroke rate of each swimmer

Special algorithm = Distance Per Stroke * Strokes.   ::)

Offline kbssantanna

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 02:05:53 pm »
Looks clever.

I wonder if the pool length can be set to something other than a standard 25 yard length, in case some people don't often swim in a standard Olympic size pool. The design assumes that length in pool mode and one needs to swim in pool mode or the distance measurement will be off.

Description of the Total Distance Measurement,
In open water mode it uses an exclusive algorithm considering individual relation between DPS and Stroke rate of each swimmer

Special algorithm = Distance Per Stroke * Strokes.   ::)
Yes, you can configure the pool length. There are 2 length units: meters and yards. You can choose 25, 50, or a customized lenght, that you can set from 1 to 999 . There is an algorithm that learns the relation between stroke rate and distance per stroke of the swimmer, while in a pool, and then the device can calculate the distance when swimming at open water, based on stroke rate.

Offline kbssantanna

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:44:24 pm »
Do they have a real, working prototype? Some of the pictures are obviously photoshopped. The only one that looks like it might be real is the one of the woman in the pool, but note that the device itself isn't wet or even very visible.

Maybe they have a space model but it doesn't look like they have anything working, let along waterproof. The only shot of actual hardware just shows the LCD with no real data. Getting all the sensors to work reliably, plus battery charging is going to be interesting. Would you trust these guys enough to strap a battery power device they designed to your wrist and submerge it in water?
We have some real working prototypes. There are two olympic swimmers using it to help us to improve the product. Please look the video at the link bellow to see they using the prototypes...
The injection mold of waterproof cabinet is already done and tested.
I cannot understand what you mean with "the only shot of actual hardware just shows the LCD with no real data"... All the features are already working, as you can see on the video. If you want any other amateur video, I can make it and send you.
On this first model, we are using a CR2450 litium battery, that is supplying the device for approximately 600 swimming hours. That is the reason to use MSP430 platform, by Texas Instruments. Recharging connector would affect the waterproof cabinet.

Offline kbssantanna

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 03:05:35 pm »
looks like a nice product. I'm only wondering why there is so little funding for this inventive product.
Yeap! Crowdfunding culture is not common in Brazil. We are having difficulty in visibility with our first campaign overseas... Please help us, sharing...
www.igg.me/at/aqua100/x/7842701

Offline kbssantanna

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:49:41 pm »
kbssantanna, are you associated with this project? Can you confirm if the photos are photoshopped fakes, rather than actual working prototypes?
Yes, I'm the technical guy for this project.

The photos at the campaign are reals, but some photos were photoshopped to remove some unwanted background, like tables, walls, etc...
You can see the photo galery at: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aqua-100-your-personal-swimming-coach#gallery

Also an updated video with the new hardware:

We have 6 parts as real prototypes, 4 of them are in the lab, and 2 are with Fabiola Molina and Diogo Yabe, both olympic swimmers, to help us with the tests and feedbacks.

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 04:07:36 pm »
There is an algorithm that learns the relation between stroke rate and distance per stroke of the swimmer, while in a pool, and then the device can calculate the distance when swimming at open water, based on stroke rate.

Oh okay, I thought that the "exclusive algorithm" term was just some marketing wank, but I see now that the distance calculation is more dynamic than I thought.  :)

Does the Aqua 100 work for a variety of stroke styles other than freestyle?

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:38:57 pm »
I don't recall seeing this type of gadget before, but it seems very interesting for serious swimmers.

http://www.swimovate.com/
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 11:46:33 pm »
On this first model, we are using a CR2450 litium battery, that is supplying the device for approximately 600 swimming hours. That is the reason to use MSP430 platform, by Texas Instruments. Recharging connector would affect the waterproof cabinet.
An obvious candidate for wireless charging - chargers and the receive electronics are readily available and not expensive

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline kbssantanna

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »
There is an algorithm that learns the relation between stroke rate and distance per stroke of the swimmer, while in a pool, and then the device can calculate the distance when swimming at open water, based on stroke rate.

Oh okay, I thought that the "exclusive algorithm" term was just some marketing wank, but I see now that the distance calculation is more dynamic than I thought.  :)

Does the Aqua 100 work for a variety of stroke styles other than freestyle?

Yes, it can recognize all the swimming stylus: freestyle, backstroke, butterfly stroke, breaststroke.

Offline kbssantanna

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 09:48:06 pm »

http://www.swimovate.com/
I know it... there are several differences. The most important is that using AQUA 100 you can see your performance without stop to swim. You don't need to bend your arm to see the informations... The regular watches senses any movement and use it as a stroke. AQUA analyses the curve of the movement, so it can recognize what is a real stroke of other movements...

Offline kbssantanna

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 09:49:47 pm »
An obvious candidate for wireless charging - chargers and the receive electronics are readily available and not expensive

Sure! We are already studying it for the next model, AQUA 200.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf