Author Topic: Aquarius Fountain Lamp - "Bend Water With Light"  (Read 5738 times)

Offline NorthernCircuitsTopic starter

Aquarius Fountain Lamp - "Bend Water With Light"
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:17:58 am »
Hi folks,

Long time lurker here and just happened to muster up the balls to post my project here (as I know you folks are serious engineers!):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northerncircuitsinc/aquarius-a-water-manipulating-fountain-lamp

It has been 99% successfully delivered (the remaining users either haven't answered their surveys, or have payment/addon discrepancies).  The project is a modernized take on the classic Time Fountains we've seen in the past.  By using individually addressable RGB LEDs, some creative Arduino coding, and an unconventional mechanical setup, this "time fountain" can generate waves of water that seemingly change colors, split into multiple streams, change directions, and much more.  Recently, it was also rewarded with a Best In Show award at MakerFestival Toronto 2018 and has also been featured on Discovery Channel as well as El Hormiguero (Spain's most watched TV program) and most importantly, a shout out from ElectroBOOM himself :)

Though I'm not soliciting for any orders, you can certainly check out the main site at https://www.northern-circuits.ca.  Note that the campaign videos/pics are not indicative of the version I actually shipped out, which is much more aesthetically streamlined and easier to manufacture.  These are also all hand-soldered and hand-built by me (in Canada!) as I've specifically designed the supply chain in a way that makes it prohibitively expensive to manufacture in China.  You can see videos of the actual version shipped out by #aquariuslamp on Instagram here: or the featurette on El Hormiguero here: https://player.vimeo.com/video/274617404.

Let me know what you think!

Stephen

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:36:14 am by NorthernCircuits »

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Re: Aquarius Fountain Lamp - "Bend Water With Light"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 01:11:52 am »
Very cool! I'm also in Canada (Greater Toronto area) and saw your Vimeo video. I am assuming it works by shooting out water in an oscillating stream and having the LEDs strobe effect making it look like the water is waving in slow motion? Great looking display! Good luck with it, I'll check it out on the links you provided!
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

The following users thanked this post: NorthernCircuits

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:29:31 am »
Hi folks,

Long time lurker here and just happened to muster up the balls to post my project here (as I know you folks are serious engineers!):

There are all types. Some members are highly experienced engineers, some are complete noob hobbyists and everything in between, don't be afraid to share whatever you have to contribute.

That thing does look pretty cool.

The following users thanked this post: NorthernCircuits

Offline NorthernCircuitsTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 04:03:04 am »
Very cool! I'm also in Canada (Greater Toronto area) and saw your Vimeo video. I am assuming it works by shooting out water in an oscillating stream and having the LEDs strobe effect making it look like the water is waving in slow motion? Great looking display! Good luck with it, I'll check it out on the links you provided!

Yep!  You're absolutely correct!  I actually use an electromagnet to vibrate the water spout and LEDs on the sides will strobe at various frequencies to create these effects.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 12:32:22 am »
Looks really cool, but the water isn't being bend?
Light is just being projected on to it.
A technique which is being used for many ages almost.

But as a piece of art in the living room it looks nice.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 05:41:18 pm »
Your project may be cool and all that, i have no doubt, that is great.  But i do not give crap for any of buzz/references in the media.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf