Author Topic: ASAP Connect: The future of USB cables (fraudulent?)  (Read 27614 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: ASAP Connect: The future of USB cables (fraudulent?)
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 09:21:41 am »
He says he has a patent. If he has a patent why didn't he link to it. Then again he says his device is the world's first cross-platform magnetic USB cable. Which is clearly false because they've been out for over a year.

Oh and it looks remarkably like the one from Wsken which you can see in Techmoan's video done in his review of several products.

I think you're giving him too much benefit of the doubt Cerebus.

If I'm arguing for anything it's for facts over name-calling. The vendor did us the courtesy of popping in to explain himself and the response was along the lines of "Bullshit! Liar!" etc. If he's withdrawn, which I suspect he has, it's because of that. How would you respond if you were walking past a room and heard strangers discussing your project, you stuck your head in and said, "That's mine. What it is is this." and were met by a shouted tirade? My response would be either to walk off muttering "worthless tossers" to myself or, if the abuse was too vituperative, to lose my temper. Informed civility costs little, being ignorant and foul mouthed is also cheap but the former is valuable, the latter worthless.

As to the product, I have my doubts and am somewhat sceptical, but that is, at this point, not really the issue.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:19 am »
Not really valid to come in and say it's mine and I have a patent without specifying what. If he did have a patent, why hasn't he shown the number(s) on his IGG campaign site and website to validate *ahem* his product. You'd think that would make the whole investment seem more trustworthy.

The onus is on him to explain himself when he has made claims, not the other way round.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 12:15:43 pm »
If the project doesn't follow our rules, we may remove the campaign
So wait... Indiegogo are saying they will permit things that break their own rules on their website?

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 01:01:22 pm »
Bad wording on their part, I'm sure.

Anyway, got another email.

Aileen, Sep 20, 23:22 PDT:
Hi ...,

Thank you for checking in about this campaign. At this time, the campaign, ‘ASAP Connect: The future of USB cables’, is under review to ensure that it adheres to our Terms of Use (http://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms).

So what happens now? We will include the information you have provided along with all other information at our disposal in our review of the campaign. In some cases, we will contact the campaign owner for more information or have them edit their campaign and it will remain on our platform. If we find the project or campaign owner doesn't follow our rules, we may remove the campaign. We may also restrict the campaign owner's future activities on Indiegogo.

Hopefully they spend more than 5 minutes researching this.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline philaburns

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 01:03:07 am »
I know this thread is old, but I just want to clear up a point of contention in this thread in case future viewers come across it and get confused.

US Design patents (known as registered designs in most other countries) ARE examined against prior art designs and must be NOVEL and NON-OBVIOUS (or inventive) over those prior art designs before they can be granted.  That is not to say that design examiners occasionally get it wrong by either not doing a thorough search to find existing art (designs) or making an incorrect determination - if this is the case, the courts are the next step for revoking a (potentially) invalid design.

Quote from USPTO.gov Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP):
"In design patent applications, ornamentality, novelty, nonobviousness enablement and definiteness are necessary prerequisites to the grant of a patent. The inventive novelty or unobviousness resides in the ornamental shape or configuration of the article in which the design is embodied or the surface ornamentation which is applied to or embodied in the design."
 - https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/s1504.html

Similar, if not largely identical rules apply effectively worldwide.

Phil
(An Actual Patent/Designs Attorney)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:16:49 am by philaburns »

Offline PyroUnleashed

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »
this may be an old post, but I just read the hilarious posts on the 1st page... Wksen is designed differently than ASAP, the 5 connecting rods are placed differently, ASAP is 1 row straight across and wksen is stacked like > .'.'. < that, in case some of you might be blind to minute changes... that's minute as in my newt, not men it... there are many duplicates and they all have various differences... I have a set of ASAP adapters, the adapters are just as they sound, you plug your existing phone cable into it and the magnetic tip into your desired device, it fast charges, has a blue light and the original ASAP lightnig bolt symbol on it... They have their own website now as do most of those IGG and kickstarters "companies" do... It did take forever to receive them, as the founder claims to be Australian and outsourced to China, and I pledged to the campaign halfway thru it, so I don't know if that matters... You can buy similar products like this at some stores that sale electronics now, and if you are looking for something not super over priced, amazon might be your best bet, or various colors, or the led light in the adapter/cable, as the ASAP led light is blue, and bright af in a dark room... but I've seen others complain about another adapter/cable having a bright green light, so it's all subjective I guess... The entire post that started this thread for it being fraudulent, maybe post a bit more evidence to this theory as you kind of seem like a crazy person that is just a bit salty and wanted to be toxic about something you stumbled upon. I would like to see a better comparison, other than that dhgate or whatever it was... znaps and wksen are not good comparisons as their connecting rods are different from ASAP's, and that it just the 1st visible difference...

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 03:46:22 pm »
this may be an old post, but I just read the hilarious posts on the 1st page... Wksen is designed differently than ASAP, the 5 connecting rods are placed differently, ASAP is 1 row straight across and wksen is stacked like > .'.'. < that, in case some of you might be blind to minute changes...
:palm:
Please look on the first post, nobody said asap is Wsken, they sold off the shelf Entalent cable pretending they are some sort of inventors.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 04:47:14 pm »
Someone seriously claims this as an invention? I think Apple with their MagSafe would have something to say about that. Oh and I have 3 cables just like that on my two tablets and a phone already.   :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf