Author Topic: AsiaRF - tiny Linux wireless thingy (RT5350 SoC)  (Read 7610 times)

Offline m0n5t3rTopic starter

AsiaRF - tiny Linux wireless thingy (RT5350 SoC)
« on: June 04, 2014, 05:19:29 am »
Internet of things they say... Alarm bells due to indiegogo flexible funding + copious amounts of chinglish, but at least it looks like they have the things developed already.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/asiarf-tiny-linux-computer-with-wifi-and-ethernet/x/3951448

* m0n5t3r not hopping on yet, but a pack of 10 looks interesting...

Offline yramgu

• Contributor
Re: AsiaRF - tiny Linux wireless thingy (RT5350 SoC)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:07:45 am »
Well this one looks honest! No marketing gibberish, a realistic product... Could it be?.. They're asking for a reasonable amount of money to produce these, so I don't think the flexible funding is an issue here.
Personnally I don't like the extension board with the ethernet connector but the main processor board looks nice!

And the product is definitely already developed: They claim they passed FCC and... provide proof! (and CE, which means they already invested quite a lot in this product: FCC alone costs ~10k$)

I was starting to think these kind of projects didn't exist anymore^^

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:09:36 am »
There seems to be almost identical product on indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vocore-a-coin-sized-linux-computer-with-wifi

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:33:33 am »
Showing the photos of the bodgy wires and debugging actually gives me more confidence that it's a real project, not just a bullshit project where all they have is concept artwork where everything is shiny.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:04:15 am »
Have a look at the FCC Exhibits.
https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1952128

It's clear this thing was a USB powered wireless router (or something like that) that they put through FCC. 

Now they're just selling it without the plastics and with OpenWRT on it.

It's OK.  Nothing particularly special, as you can pick up wireless routers for similar prices that take OpenWRT (well probably $5 more but that includes a 5V adapter and enclosure.)

The breakout pins are nice though, you don't normally see that on a typical router.

Offline yramgu

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:14:04 am »
They've already got a similar product based on the same chip:

http://www.asiarf.com/Smallest-Tiny-Ralink-802-11n-AP-Router-Module-Mini-PCIe-Board-AWM006-product-view-379.html

There seems to be almost identical product on indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vocore-a-coin-sized-linux-computer-with-wifi
Indeed it really really close to the other one  ???

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:41:04 am »
actually they already sell SAME product cheaper on their site ($12) :) IGG campaign seems to be for FCC certification of that module, nothing more.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline yramgu

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »
IGG campaign seems to be for FCC certification of that module, nothing more.

Nope, they've already got FCC grant for this module (the link is provided on the IGG page).

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:41:24 am »
sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but here's an update:

they delivered eventually (~1.5 months late), but apparently at least some of them[1] are bumbling idiots: out of 10 modules, only one came with an antenna, and the tiny base board thing got them delayed because... they used the wrong USB connector footprint or they ordered the wrong part or something, and it's got flux all over the place from the hand soldering (hey, they used flux!), and it's got a micro usb connector whose D+ / D- lines go straight to UART RX / TX on the actual board...

I strongly suspect AsiaRF might be a subdivision of Wun Hung Lo Inc.

the actual SOC board looks fine, though; I didn't get to power them up yet to check if they work, "real life" (TM) occupies all of my time for now

* makes a note to go searching for some ipex connectors and that kind of tiny RF cable that goes with them, in "mere human" quantities

[1] it might be all of them and they outsourced the ralink board, or none of them and they outsourced the base boards, who knows?

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:14:35 am »
sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but here's an update:

they delivered eventually (~1.5 months late), but apparently at least some of them[1] are bumbling idiots: out of 10 modules, only one came with an antenna, and the tiny base board thing got them delayed because... they used the wrong USB connector footprint or they ordered the wrong part or something, and it's got flux all over the place from the hand soldering (hey, they used flux!), and it's got a micro usb connector whose D+ / D- lines go straight to UART RX / TX on the actual board...

I strongly suspect AsiaRF might be a subdivision of Wun Hung Lo Inc.

the actual SOC board looks fine, though; I didn't get to power them up yet to check if they work, "real life" (TM) occupies all of my time for now

* makes a note to go searching for some ipex connectors and that kind of tiny RF cable that goes with them, in "mere human" quantities

[1] it might be all of them and they outsourced the ralink board, or none of them and they outsourced the base boards, who knows?

Well IPEX is compatible with u.FL (just saves the Hirose trademark cost ;)) so you can get suitable antennas & leads / adapters easily, cheaply on ebay.

Given the similarity of the two projects it's very likely they are both based around a Ralink (or distributor) reference design (these are quite commonly found on the Chinese electronics forums). Great way for a new company to get a start in the market without having to invest a lot of design work of their own.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 02:33:12 pm »
:-DD

@All,
It was our fault to miss the antennas. We will ship out in these few days.
Kindly wait a while!

such funny, very confused, wow!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf