Author Topic: Attention All Cat Owners  (Read 7752 times)

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
Attention All Cat Owners
« on: February 21, 2016, 11:14:47 am »
I just found this one after a friend sent us the link. They are already past their Kickstarter goal but the project is still of interest to all cat owners who need to face the litter tray a couple of times a day.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/luuup/luuup-litter-box-the-best-cat-litter-box-ever-made

The one thing I can't figure is how the box deals with large amounts of urine, a leak would be messy.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Attention All Cat Owners
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 01:15:21 pm »
Hmmmm, we have three house cats and would love a clever cat litter tray. Our cat litter is excellent and works well. I want an automatic cat litter tray though. They are available but still very expensive. They usually work by detecting the presence of the cat entering and exiting the tray using IR beams. A conveyor system moves the poop into a storage pod and the owner empties it once a day rather than whenever a cat uses its tray. My only concern with any system is that it does not smell or encourage bacteria. The tray swap system can be an issue on the smell or bacteria front if the used tray is soiled, not cleaned and placed in the stack.

I use a siev scoop for clearing trays. It is no more effort than the tray stacking idea.

Just my thoughts on the design.

As this is all about cats I wonder if the post will get deleted by the mods? I hope not as it would be good to explore the more electronics related automatic systems that exist, or should exist.

A superloo for cats is what we need. It would auto detect, auto empty, macerate and pump to soil pipe.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 01:25:04 pm »
I have kids who need an allowance and a WiFi password. More expensive but the tray gets emptied regularly :)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:16:10 pm »
@ Mrslack

Brilliant :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:20:25 pm by Fraser »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:24:46 pm »
Not sure the tapered side is a good idea - think what would happen if kitty stepped or sat on the edge suddenly....

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 03:50:09 pm »
Yes, that can be a problem, my cat for some reason often sits with her rear as close to the edge as she can push it .
Overall, imho this box would make it not easier but harder to clean - you need more space to manipulate the trays, more physical efforts to shake it, and still requires cleaning if you do not maintain enough litter , in which case wettened litter will get stuck and stick to the slots edges and that may be difficult to clean.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »
I don't think the tapered side is an issue. Our present litter trays are of similar construction and in the interests of science I've just tried pressing on the edge in an effort to tip it up. Considerable force was needed, much more than the weight of a cat.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 04:23:54 pm »
My wife just said I should train our cats to use the conventional human loo !
I have seen it done on YouTube but suspect our three cats would end up very wet and miserable :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 04:33:28 pm »
I have seen it done on YouTube but suspect our three cats would end up very wet and miserable :)

This kit will help you. You go gradually from no hole to standard size hole.

http://www.citikitty.com/pages/how-citikitty-works

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »
How does that kit stop all the litter simply ending up in the toilet, blocking the drain?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 05:21:44 pm »
How does that kit stop all the litter simply ending up in the toilet, blocking the drain?

It has a lip around the hole to hold the litter.

It can also be used in reversed order to train human to use a litter box.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 05:56:49 pm »
😆
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:58:21 pm by Fraser »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 09:40:14 pm »
😆

My wife is a cat person and this rubbed on this dog person. We had two cats, not at the same time, one from a person that relocated and the other a neighbor cat that used to come to our house and we adopted with their permission. Both were great. We treated them well and in response they were very reasonable and friendly to us, e.g. not giving us a problem when we call them back home from the back yard or when washing them in the tub. I think it's a matter of trust.

We used a simple litter box. My wife took care of it but when she was traveling it's was my job picking all those 'clamps'.

My wife does watch the TV show My Cat From Hell. The cats there are something else. ;-)

Offline Keridos

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 11:52:19 am »
This actually is so simple its mindblowing, just need to see if it actually works well enough to produce no leaks. I wouldnt worry about liquids that much, the litter usually is pretty effective at sucking it up.
Best regards

Offline tenthirds

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 12:55:19 pm »
Certainly a novel idea...don't know how useful I'd find it. Seems like a messier process than using a scoop -> plastic shopping bag.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 06:52:09 pm »
I have kids who need an allowance and a WiFi password. More expensive but the tray gets emptied regularly :)
Must be nice to have Minions to do the dirty work.  >:D  :-DD

Tried it once...

So long as the small training pan was placed on the bowl (held a small bit of litter), he'd use it. After it was taken away, the spoiled little snot refused and it was back to normal litter pans.   ::)

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 12:54:28 am »
The video looks great. And if you did this 2-3 times a day, with fresh litter, it would work fine... for a few days. Then change out the litter for fresh, and enjoy another few days of hassle-free cleaning of your litter box 2-3 times per day. Then do a thorough cleaning every week or two to keep up this hassle-free cleaning.

...Else the whole thing turns into a %$$ sandwich. Top and bottom, which you are supposedly setting on your floor. Maybe the whole thing should just go in a real litter box, and you just toss each disposable tray as you go?

This Kickstarter will go nowhere. This lady and son should blow the money and the people who donated should get what they deserve. Maybe someone could go around and slap them on the face. And then offer them the Brooklyn Bridge for $20.00 cash. The first clue is the idea didn't work the first time, and the investor got screwed. The only thing they (hopefully) learned is how to personally make money the second time around, by screwing lots and lots of investors.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:15:38 am by KL27x »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf