Author Topic: ATtiny Flasher (crowdsupply)  (Read 4103 times)

Offline larsdenmarkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
ATtiny Flasher (crowdsupply)
« on: March 11, 2021, 12:27:58 pm »
I find this interesting:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/sonocotta/attiny-flasher

"ATtiny Flasher is a handy device that allows you to use your favorite IDEs and debugging tools when developing for the ATtiny microcontroller. Enjoy the classic Arduino development experience while working with bare metal. Whether you’re a design engineer, a hobbyist, or someone who’s just getting started programming MCUs, ATtiny Flasher can help you get from a great idea to a great implementation—without having to port your code to its intended platform when you’re done"

Accoding to the description it will be able to programme these Attinys: Flash ATtiny85, ATtiny45, ATtiny25, and ATtiny13 via breadboard or onboard header.

Can anyone tell if it'll work with any other atttinys?

Offline tyguy2

• Supporter
Re: ATtiny Flasher (crowdsupply)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:19:06 pm »
I'd assume as long as the pins line up, the Attiny in question uses the ICSP interface, and the firmware has been compiled for the correct chip, it should be able to flash the chip. Although this product could easily made with a Arduino Uno flashed with ArduinoISP and some wire, probably for cheaper too
[Sarcastic comment] clever joke [/sarcastic comment]
Bitcoin:
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 02:11:57 pm »
I'd assume as long as the pins line up, the Attiny in question uses the ICSP interface, and the firmware has been compiled for the correct chip, it should be able to flash the chip. Although this product could easily made with a Arduino Uno flashed with ArduinoISP and some wire, probably for cheaper too

I just program a cheap chinese made Arduino Nano, programmed with ArduiniISP and get the job done with few dollars only.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:32:42 pm »
Doesn't give a price. Could be handy, but I always just plug the ATTiny into a breadboard or use a clip (if it's already on a board) and use the standard ArduinoISP sketch on some Uno or Mega that is lying around.

There are Uno clones around for under $10 and they work just fine, so everyone should have one.

Offline larsdenmarkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 06:55:00 am »
Thanks everyone.

Does the ArduiniISP  method also allow you to debug the MCU?

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 08:41:39 am »
No.  The ArduinoISP sketch emulates an AVRISP programmer which isn't debug capable. To debug on the cheap under Atmel Studio or MPLAB X without a massive software effort you need to emulate an Atmel debugger.  e.g. the mEDBG debugger found on Atmel/Microchip's Xplained Mini and Nano boards.  All that's needed is an ATmega32U4 based Arduino (a Leonardo or Micro), a few passives and if you need low voltage debug capability, 2x 4 channel BSS138 level shifter breakouts e.g https://www.adafruit.com/product/757

See https://hackaday.io/project/162372-xplained-yourself

The following users thanked this post: larsdenmark

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf