Author Topic: Balanduino - an Arduino based miniature Segway  (Read 9096 times)

Offline mindThomasTopic starter

• Contributor
Balanduino - an Arduino based miniature Segway
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:51:57 pm »
Hi Dave and all other electronics enthusiasts in here.

I am one of your many subscribers and have been for a long time, watching your videos with the same excitement everytime.
I envy your passion, way of explaining and especially teaching the community about electronics.

Though I am not actually contacting you just to tell you passionated a blogger you are, but I am rather contacting you as the electronics designer and CEO of TKJ Electronics.
TKJ Electronics is a embedded design and consultancy company in Denmark started by me years back when I was just barely turned 18.
If you have the time for a quick glance some more details about me and the past year can be found here: http://blog.tkjelectronics.dk/2014/01/year-2013-thomas/

From the time when I started the company and till now, I have been developing embedded projects for smaller and larger customers, both hobbyists and companies, but we have especially also worked hard on getting our blog going with different projects and product reviews.
Our blog can be found at: http://blog.tkjelectronics.dk/
And our Youtube channel is: https://www.youtube.com/user/mindthomas  and  https://www.youtube.com/user/tkjelectronics

A bit more than a year ago I teamed up with a good friend of mine and we started developing a balancing robot platform.
Due to the many requests from people on how to build one themselves and the lack of inexpensive quality kits to do so, we decided to start the development and planning of a balancing robot platform kit, called the Balanduino.
The platform should consist of a customized Arduino board including all the necesarry features for a balancing robot to function, such as sensor, motor controllers, USB Host for Bluetooth connectivity etc.
After several board/prototype spins we had a well working version though we had no idea on how to get it to the public.

As we were two poor students who really haven’t got the sufficient funds to just invest in a large manufacturing of kits, we decided to launch the Balanduino on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tkjelectronics/balanduino-balancing-robot-kit/
Here we received a great support and managed to reach the project goal of $10.000USD and even more.

We have just finished shipping the products to all of our backers and have started shipping further pre-orders as the project seems to be going well.
Much more information about the Balanduino can be found on it’s dedicated homepage: http://www.balanduino.net/
Or if you are just interested in a video of the robot in action you can find such here:

To summarize this long post, I am asking if you would like to receive a Full Balanduino kit for testing and reviewing, either as a part of the mailbag segment or as a seperate video?
We would like to ship the kit to you from our Shenzhen based manufacturing partner, SeeedStudio, with DHL, so we would need to know a proper address for the courrier delivery.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards
Thomas Jespersen
CEO, TKJ Electronics
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:54:25 pm by mindThomas »

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
Re: Balanduino - an Arduino based miniature Segway
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:04:29 am »
Neat.  Well done on the KS. Wish I had time to play more with robotics.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:21:26 pm »
I know someone locally who's planning building their own Segway and was looking for software/ideas for the controller.
This would be ideal and would (probably) only need bigger motor drivers.

Are they available for purchase yet?

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:45:56 pm »
Looks very interesting and I went to your web site to order one but the $350 price seems to be on the high side.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:52:34 pm »
Looks very interesting and I went to your web site to order one but the $350 price seems to be on the high side.

I thought the same. The kit without the mechanicals - which would be easy to make - is more affordable at $240.
Plus of course the battery, not sure what they cost.
I'm waiting to hear back from them on availability and shipping to Oz.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 02:54:45 pm »
Presumably that $350 includes substantial royalties to the company that owns the Segway patents...?

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:43:10 am »
Presumably that $350 includes substantial royalties to the company that owns the Segway patents...?

Absolutely not! Segway was far from the first to make balancing robots.

Dave would probably love it.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:48:35 am »

Absolutely not! Segway was far from the first to make balancing robots.

Dave would probably love it.

Part of Segway's failed business model was to patent everything they could before announcing the availability of the product.
The few Segway patents I looked up, were to do with transportation. The only one registered in Australia has since lapsed.

Offline mindThomasTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 04:57:16 pm »
There is no roalties being paid to the Segway company, as exactly what "scientist" said, they don't have patent on just the balancing robot part.
Though we are for sure not allowed to use the Segway brandname which is also the reason for not using this term on our website nor in the name of the product

I'm waiting to hear back from them on availability and shipping to Oz.
We have received your mail Geoff, but when we tried to reply to you it was bounced back to us saying that your mail-address didn't exist.
A couple of weeks ago we opened up to our online ordering system that will guide you thru the ordering process including the selection of shipping option.

For a full Balanduino kit we recommend the fast and tracked courrier shipping with DHL which is only around $50.
Please visit the Buy Now page on the Balanduino website to find the price and order: www.balanduino.com/buy-now

We are currently planning to build a large-scale model (proper Segway like) by using the Balanduino mainboard as the controller. As we mention on our website as well, all the motor controller pins are brought out, which makes it possible to add some external heavy-duty motor controllers.

We would love to get a response from Dave with his shipping address so we can get him a kit ASAP :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf