Author Topic: Battery with Unlimited Power for your mobile Phone  (Read 20789 times)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Battery with Unlimited Power for your mobile Phone
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 09:16:38 am »
This is what a 5.5kWh battery, approximately the same energy of 1500Ah at 3.7V, looks like:
http://www.cclcomponents.com/product.asp?ID=3879

Offline tigikay

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 09:33:06 am »
Ahahahaha, this is too good - I was offered a place at MEPhI 6 years ago :-DD

It's very far from the top of our STEM unis, but to have that kind of crap come from there is just WOW! And I'm talking about a uni which has a designated Faculty of Theology with a small Orthodox church  :palm:

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 09:56:15 am »
Ahahahaha, this is too good - I was offered a place at MEPhI 6 years ago :-DD

It's very far from the top of our STEM unis, but to have that kind of crap come from there is just WOW! And I'm talking about a uni which has a designated Faculty of Theology with a small Orthodox church  :palm:

That explains a lot...

Offline tigikay

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 10:01:24 am »

That explains a lot...

it was a drama bombshell for all the STEM unis, our own faculty was buzzing for months about this

Offline SaabFAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 09:55:28 pm »
Well, it has nothing nuclear in it and there are no chemical reactions happening (like in a battery), and it will last about 2 years.
Clearly they are using hamsters inside a wheel that is connected to a generator. XD

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 07:11:41 am »
...--- and here's his instagram profile photo...

What does that prove?

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »

...--- and here's his instagram profile photo...

What does that prove?

...that Gene Simmons is really Einstein in disguise!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 07:42:33 pm »
We are the team of the graduates from the Russian National Research Nuclear University MEPhI.
Our battery is absolutely safe! No chemical and nuclear reactions in your pocket!
So if it's not Chemical or Nuclear, what type of battery are they using? Kinetic? Space vacuum? 5th dimension?

Maybe a graphene supercapacitor with superconductive carbon nanotube interconnects.  Or perhaps a zero point energy device, relying on carefully aligned magnets and coils that don't connect to anything. Some kind of "resonance" will probably be involved :bullshit:

Still, at least "extremely hazardous elements are missing", so we must be thankful they stopped at the very hazardous ones.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:49:32 pm by mikerj »

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 08:44:47 pm »
Google "Strontium Nuclear Battery" or "Strontium 90 Lighthouse"  and tell me that you want hackable Thorium powered cars in crashes!

Although I do think the decay powered lighthouses were  a cool technology. Once the USSR fell, and when one in the boonies feared the KGB or Interor Ministry, then it became a un-cool idea..

Steve

"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Kalidor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2015, 10:45:00 am »
No problem to do that, with Li-ion the battery pack will be about 25-30 Kg.  8)

"Extra battery, that will serve your phone up to 2 years without charge!" vs. "Lifetime up 2 years". Why then a rechargeable battery   :palm:
"Output: 1V and 2V (PowerBank)" but USB should be 5V  |O
100% safety no chemical, nuclear, leakage, radiation....   Maybe the try it straight forward E=mc2  :scared:
"Based on the data obtained we decided to make a hybrid battery model"   ..back to chemistry  :phew:
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2015, 02:21:03 pm »
Ah is that the catch:

Extra battery, that will serve your phone up to 2 years without charge!

You don't need a battery at all to have "your phone up to 2 years without charge". Just don't charge it for 2 years and you're there.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »
Nah - I think you're all wrong.

It has to be wind-up.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 03:25:47 pm »
Such as gravity light?
Imagine all the people on the train hanging those things on the suitcase racks  :P

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 03:51:59 pm »
As I posted elsewhere, it has to be alien technology so don your tin foil hat and do a teardown when it's (if) released. :)

Nah, no alien tech involved. They're Russians. Not Hungarians.  ;)

(Extra brownie points if you get the cultural reference)
Yeah, like when the american project manager left at the Manhattan project, and the guys said, OK, now we can switch back to Hungarian Martian.
I think the project is feasible. See, they reserved an entire month for the engineering part.

Offline rt

• Regular Contributor
Until proven otherwise, all TED talk presenters should be considered as charismatic charlatans.

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 05:16:50 am »
Do they actually say at what voltage the 10 0000 Ah is at?   If measured at 1mV then it most definitely would be plausible :-)

I measured my new 16 000 mAh Xiaomi powerbank and got a bit upset when I was only able to pull 10980mAh from it. But at closer inspection the 16 000 was specced at 3.75 volts and not 5 volts... So I actually got more that specced out of this unit... :-+

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 02:42:20 pm »
I measured my new 16 000 mAh Xiaomi powerbank and got a bit upset when I was only able to pull 10980mAh from it. But at closer inspection the 16 000 was specced at 3.75 volts and not 5 volts... So I actually got more that specced out of this unit... :-+

All Li-Ion power banks are spec'd at 3.7-3.8v, so are phone batteries for that matter.

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2015, 02:52:48 am »

All Li-Ion power banks are spec'd at 3.7-3.8v, so are phone batteries for that matter.
This is all true and so, but I still find it a bit confusing since the output of the device is 5.1 volt one would assume that this would be the voltage that the mAh is based upon as well.

Why did the industry choose to describe the batteries with mAh instead of Wh which would be a more suitable unit for energy?  What happens when a phone manufacturer changes the battery chemistry, then the mAh becomes totally irrelevant...

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2015, 03:06:02 am »
This is all true and so, but I still find it a bit confusing since the output of the device is 5.1 volt one would assume that this would be the voltage that the mAh is based upon as well.

It makes reasonable sense that batteries have mAh ratings. And since Li-ion is the standard right now, 3.6-3.7V is just the understood value. For comparability between the battery size in my phone and the battery size of an external battery pack, it makes sense that the battery pack be measured with respect to its internal 3.6-3.7V voltage as well.

In short, they've done it in the consistent and standard way. They deserve bonus marks for writing the 5V value in small writing as well. The end user never measures the current flowing at 5.1V, they care about the literal charge in the batteries (as measured in C = A.s). You, with your integrating ammeter, are not the target market for these numbers!!

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2015, 04:45:12 am »
Yes, Xiaomi is a company that does very cheap high-quality stuff and seems to to generally good.

But that really doesn't solve the problem with the industry using a non-portable measurement unit for the battery capacity. Today it's just a number to the general public, they don't have a clue of what a milliamphour is. They only know that a bigger number=longer life.

So what happens when the safety-nazis wins and some companies introduces "fire-safe" phones using LiFePo4?  1000 LiFePo4 mAh's can't power a phone as long as 1000 LiPo mAh's will do.  But 3 LiFePo4 Wh's will power it as long as 3 LiPo Wh's.

I suppose they can advertise with a fudge-factor included, but they won't do that - saying that our safe 1000mAh battery is equivalent to a 850mAh unsafe battery doesn't sound too good :-)

Offline pauljmccain

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2015, 02:59:47 am »
1000Ah what do they do, ship you a car battery?

I figured the trick is to just use a single cell, that way you get 1000Ah at say 3.2V
but then that doesn't add up
http://www.ev-power.eu/Winston-40Ah-200Ah/WB-LYP1000AHC-LiFeYPO4-3-2V-1000Ah-Special-product.html
Weight (kg)    41
Height (mm)    356
Width (mm)    560
Depth (mm)    130

Yeah 41 kilos, like I said car battery.
That's more like a single cell of a forklift/industrial battery. Charge your phone, then move some pallets!

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2015, 03:38:56 am »
8 days left, still $2... I think they're going to meet their goal!  :-DD

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2016, 08:07:22 am »
perhaps we made a mistake and 1,500,000mAh isn't the storage capacity, it's how much power you can draw in total before the cell pukes it's guts.  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf