Author Topic: Beautifully Made Electronics Reference Posters  (Read 37577 times)

Offline josephricafortTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Beautifully Made Electronics Reference Posters
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 12:23:33 pm »

Outstanding. I really do like these posters. I look forward to getting one and anything else you do in the future.
By the way, I forgot to add shipping, so I went ahead and added that right now.

Thanks!

Sure, I'll better prepare for it and have it reviewed first by experts to make sure I made them right. Thanks! :-)

Offline ElectricGuy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »
Hi;

On poster 1.5 on the regulatores section you have a symbol for a 78XX and you mentioned also the 79XX.
Please be careful because the 79XX often doesn't have the pinout of the 78XX.

Edit: Error!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:10:54 pm by ElectricGuy »
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 08:04:28 pm »
On poster 1.5 on the regulatores section you have a symbol for a 78XX and you mentioned also the 79XX.
Please be careful because the 78XX often doesn't have the pinout of the 78XX.
I think @ElectricGuy meant that the 79xx regulator has a different pinout than the 78xx series.
It would be immensely helpful to show BOTH of them on the poster.

Offline ElectricGuy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 08:10:11 pm »
Please be careful because the 78XX often doesn't have the pinout of the 78XX.
I think @ElectricGuy meant that the 79xx regulator has a different pinout than the 78xx series.
It would be immensely helpful to show BOTH of them on the poster.

Yes, that is it Richard Crowley,
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 10:59:38 pm »
Also note, most UV LEDs are around 3-4V Vf. I think you're thinking of IR LEDs with that wavelength? UV would be sub 400nm.

This makes sense, because the Vf is basically the band gap the electrons have to drop in the semiconductor material. As the wavelength goes up the required band gap increases (obviously there are some other second-order effects going on that don't make it completely linear, and varying Vf does not significantly change the wavelength... but it's still worth noting.)

And it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to specify a wavelength for white LEDs? Not only are white LEDs one of the most widely defined types (warm, cool, neutral, etc.) the wavelength is most certainly not one value. It's a wide spectrum, with two emission points...

Other than that, the posters look excellent!

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 11:32:42 am »
In the capacitor coding bit, you have explained "103" as "10 x 103", shurely this should read "1 x 10^03", or "one, with 03 zeroes"?. I always find explaining this a bit clumsy!

ps. Excellent work!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:46:49 am by Delta »

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 11:31:12 pm »
    Great posters. Just some suggestions/ideas:

• I think letters should be made more readable for people with vision problems or reading it from long distances, but that can make less space for useful information.
    • What about maths? I have problems remembering those, looking at them daily would help me to remember them. From analog to digital, all spectrum of basic formulas without using more than equations. I attached a quite outdated attempt to make an electronics formula sheet (it's in Spanish, but I think most can be understood).
    • What about putting symbols along with their physical versions? I understand this is more artsy, but I retrieve information better in a very structured and related way.
    • I think logic/digital should have it's own poster.
      • Binary calculations and binary codes
      • 74xx and 40x family
      • Logic gates
      • Combinational circuits
      • Small guide to do Karnaugh maps
      • Secuential circuits (flip flops, adders and substractors, state machines and such).
      • How to read chronograms
      • Multiplexors and a long etc).
      • ***This needs good explaining of each concept in schematic and example way, not easy to make it in small space. The attached poster has some good ideas, but it goes the HIPSTER way with that old school must space wasting and barely legible style (not useful for real reference, just look like a tech hipster).
      As a newbie electronics student with
learning difficulties, I find some concepts extremely difficult to understand.
  • One of them is Transistors in their different variants, including FET ones and Darlington configuration (another resource here. I found there are some sources  somewhat describe it in very simple ways (and this one too), but  I yet messed with ordering the concepts in my mind and the maths on it. I find the Ebers–Moll Model useful to understand, but it's incomplete and I'm stick at many stuff
  • Problems with voltage amplifiers, rectifiers and such
  • Another is about "triangle" configurations known Y-? transform or Kennely, Thevenin and Norton.

Of course those are suggestions from an electronics newbie like me. I don't understand your motivations and conclusions for this great piece of work, but I find them quite nice

Anyway, I can provide help you translating them to Spanish! I don't care about having the English ones and I prefer it to not forget the language, but others would be quite interested[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:00:54 pm by Circuiteromalaguito »

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 12:48:46 am »
My mind is blown.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:32 am »
My mind is blown.

I think that's really a "Maybe" gate :)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 01:07:08 am »
My mind is blown.

Yeah, somebody dropped the ball there.
Shows the importance of multiple proof-readers.
I don't think I have ever heard of an inverter called a "not-gate"
But whatever you call it, there is but a single input node.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 09:25:31 am »
My mind is blown.

Yeah, somebody dropped the ball there.
Shows the importance of multiple proof-readers.
I don't think I have ever heard of an inverter called a "not-gate"
But whatever you call it, there is but a single input node.

Yes, you're right! I did get distracted by the fake dirty and forgot that obvious fail. Mayeb they confused OpAmp and Not/inverter symbol?

Here people call it an inverter or a not gate, but I'm in a mere vocational training school :P

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 10:35:36 am »
I only ever call it an invertor, never a not-gate..

Even speaking "not-gate" sounds like I'm choking on a chicken bone

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:45 pm »
I only ever call it an invertor, never a not-gate..

Even speaking "not-gate" sounds like I'm choking on a chicken bone

NOT is totally fine. Or aren't you saying NOR or NAND? The small cycle at the output makes everying a NOT whatsoever.

PS: Some posters with standard connectors and pinouts would be quite handy.

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 02:22:25 pm »

• I think letters should be made more readable for people with vision problems or reading it from long distances, but that can make less space for useful information.
    • What about maths? I have problems remembering those, looking at them daily would help me to remember them. From analog to digital, all spectrum of basic formulas without using more than equations. I attached a quite outdated attempt to make an electronics formula sheet (it's in Spanish, but I think most can be understood).
    • What about putting symbols along with their physical versions? I understand this is more artsy, but I retrieve information better in a very structured and related way.
      • 74xx and 40x family
      • Logic gates
      • Combinational circuits
      • Secuential circuits (flip flops, adders and substractors, state machines and such).
      • ***This needs good explaining of each concept in schematic and example way, not easy to make it in small space. The attached poster has some good ideas, but it goes the HIPSTER way with that old school must space wasting and barely legible style (not useful for real reference, just look like a tech hipster).
  • One of them is Transistors in their different variants, including FET ones and Darlington configuration (another resource here. I found there are some sources  somewhat describe it in very simple ways, but  I yet messed with ordering the concepts in my mind and the maths on it. I find the Ebers–Moll Model useful to understand, but it's incomplete and I'm stick at many stuff
  • Another is about "triangle" configurations known Y-? transform or Kennely, Thevenin and Norton.

Of course those are suggestions from an electronics newbie like me. I don't understand your motivations and conclusions for this great piece of work, but I find them quite nice

Anyway, I can provide help you translating them to Spanish! I don't care about having the English ones and I prefer it to not forget the language, but others would be quite interested[/list][/list]

These are very useful references, thanks for compiling these. I agree with all of these. I made the posters as personal quick references and I forgot to add a bit of instructions / descriptions. I believe that I have missed a lot of things and it maybe feasible to incorporate all of these things with more effort in the future. But these would be really great additionals to future posters.

I'm planning more on making a handy booklet/app as a future project as I think it would be more appropriate having these graphics. There are already existing ones but I'm thinking of starting it small and further develop it.

Having a Spanish version would be nice! Would be helpful to Spanish learners. Thanks for your interest! :-)

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 02:26:33 pm »
My mind is blown.

This was actually an error with the previous version. Most of the time, when doing the graphics, I often copy paste and modify it to make it much faster. In this case, I copied a two pin gate and forgot to delete a pin. I already corrected this with the new one.

Proofreaders are very crucial indeed. Thanks!

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 07:31:44 pm »

• 74xx and 40x family
      • Logic gates
      • Combinational circuits
  • One of them is Transistors in their different variants, including FET ones and Darlington configuration (another resource here. I found there are some sources  somewhat describe it in very simple ways, but  I yet messed with ordering the concepts in my mind and the maths on it. I find the Ebers–Moll Model useful to understand, but it's incomplete and I'm stick at many stuff

These are very useful references, thanks for compiling these. I agree with all of these. I made the posters as personal quick references and I forgot to add a bit of instructions / descriptions. I believe that I have missed a lot of things and it maybe feasible to incorporate all of these things with more effort in the future. But these would be really great additionals to future posters.

I'm planning more on making a handy booklet/app as a future project as I think it would be more appropriate having these graphics. There are already existing ones but I'm thinking of starting it small and further develop it.

Having a Spanish version would be nice! Would be helpful to Spanish learners. Thanks for your interest! :-)

Thanks for your idea, it seems interesting.

I have no problems translating all your works to Spanish. Just quote me in your works if the result is successful. Send me a PM if you're interested and I can make a try ;)

I'm just a newbie, I'm sure others could provide a better feedback than me. That's just my experience struggling with electronics, despite I like it, it's becoming a very difficult topic for me for many reasons.

There are a bunch of electronics apps for Android, but they are often not so updated and lack some interesting stuff. Some have different kind of calculators, others provide resistor color code helping and others have formulas too.

Forrest Mim books seems like a interesting reference, for example. I'm not sure about other's opinions, but maybe this is too entry level for many people here :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:33:56 pm by Circuiteromalaguito »

Offline inteljoe

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2015, 10:59:07 pm »
Sure, I'll better prepare for it and have it reviewed first by experts to make sure I made them right. Thanks! :-)

Absolutely agree. Any updates should be added and errors corrected before the posters go to print.
It may seem simple, but an incorrect pin out or calculation can blow a circuit or even cause physical injury.

I look forward to eventually getting a copy none-the-less. It will go nicely above my electronics work table and I'm sure to use it often for quick reference. 

Offline YLEKIOT

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »
Great idea on these posters!  I see you did not reach your full goal.  Are you still making them?  Would it be possible to buy them individually?

Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2015, 12:20:16 am »
Hi Jeff, I'm planning to make a temporary site where to get orders. You can also buy them individually. For the mean time, send me a PM to order one with shipping and email address since the campaign is already closed. Thanks!

Offline inteljoe

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2015, 04:44:00 pm »
I'm just curious, do you have a time frame for when the posters will be completed, received back from the printers, and ready to ship out?

Thanks!

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 12:32:47 pm »
I'm just curious, do you have a time frame for when the posters will be completed, received back from the printers, and ready to ship out?

Thanks!

Hi Joe, sorry for the delays. I'm still finishing up the posters and will send them out within this month. They will be printed and shipped from the US btw. Would update you soon. :-)

Offline inteljoe

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2015, 12:49:24 am »
I just wanted to provide an update on this for those interested... The seller come through on his promise and I received my poster today.

I also want to say I'm very happy. It's well printed and on heavy paper. Not that glossy thin crap you see on almost every other poster.
In fact, I'm going to buy a frame before hanging it. It's just too nice.

Also, it was very well packed. Kudos for attention to detail!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:08:44 pm by inteljoe »

Offline inteljoe

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 10:13:50 pm »
I put the poster in a frame (will be replaced later with a better one), and it's now hanging above my electronics table.

Thanks again to Joseph Ricafort. I hope you have more projects in the future.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 07:53:38 am »
You guys might find this book handy.

www.onecircuit.com/sites/default/files/1/Pocket TTL Book.pdf

The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf