Author Topic: Bleen  (Read 15650 times)

Offline araughTopic starter

Bleen
« on: November 12, 2014, 06:25:59 pm »
This one might be the worst I've come across.  I guess a fool and his money etc. etc.

Volumetric 3D projections with a small portable projector. Yeah, sure...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bleen-3d-without-glasses

"Delivery of perks listed on this page is subject to the best efforts of the team and similar to other crowdfunding campaigns not guaranteed. This disclaimer has been added to set reasonable expectations for our funders.

Please note that any crowdfunding contributions are considered final, we do not offer refunds or product returns."

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
Re: Bleen
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:27:30 am »
Under their disclaimers:

"Delivery of perks listed on this page is subject to the best efforts of the team and similar to other crowdfunding campaigns not guaranteed. This disclaimer has been added to set reasonable expectations for our funders.

Please note that any crowdfunding contributions are considered final, we do not offer refunds or product returns."

Not that I needed any evidence that this was a scam.
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 02:20:36 am »
Anyone backing this is so ridiculously stupid that they deserve to lose their money, sorry.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 02:35:00 am »
And with flexible funding they get every cent even if goal not met  |O

Offline JohnSL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:40:38 am »
They kept mentioning the pioneering work of Vladimir Titar, so I did a search for him. There is a Wikipedia page....but it was created this year. And there were some photos that showed up, but also from this year. A scientist of that level of prestige would definitely show up in a search. So my scam meter is pegged.

Offline CaptCrash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 04:13:12 am »
How can you guys be skeptical.
Its all perfectly clear, it uses a "space-time light modulator" as its projection system.   :palm:

Offline gxti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 04:35:21 am »
Come on, they're wearing suits AND lab coats. I think they can be trusted.

And their artistic director doesn't even look at the camera. She must be good.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 06:03:18 am »

After reading the short bio of the guy on the left...

"He is on the first-name basis with project management and while coordinating efforts directs them to the only right way"

I'm convinced.  I just wanted to be sure he was on a first name basis and directs them to the only right way.

Offline aon

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 06:53:23 am »
This is hilarious, it looks to me like even the logos on the shirts are photoshopped :D

Fwiw, here's Vladimir Titar's patent SU 1813298 on "holographic television device": http://www.findpatent.ru/patent/181/1813298.html, so at least that part of it is true, and Googling the titles of the articles on his Wikipedia page does bring up results. Maybe someone with a better understanding of Russian and optical physics can comment more on these, but there probably is something of a gap between theory and consumer-grade implementation, like there often is with these sort of things.

There also seem to be some Wikipedia authors that are really enthusiastic about these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/LaoTzuRS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Terry_Benedict. The talk page on Vladimir Titar brings up some more controversies, like prizes awarded to him that don't apparently exist at all.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:04:24 am by aon »

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »

Dark projection.  |O |O |O |O  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

Dear marketing artists and PR: STOP THIS. IT'S INSULTING TO CONSUMERS. YOU'RE INSULTING CONSUMERS. LITERALLY. YOU'RE SQUATTING OVER THE FACES OF THE CONSUMERS, AND FORCING YOUR BOWELS. WITH A BIG GRIN ON YOUR FACE. STOP.

I'm so sick of marketing
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:21:08 pm by cloudscapes »

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 04:00:40 pm »
This scam is so obvious that 3-y old could write simple machine learning algorithm detecting this scam with 100% probability.

Real 3D projection screen is somewhat possible and somewhat usable for niche applications. These guys put years of R&D into it:

Offline corrado33

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:07 pm »
This scam is so obvious that 3-y old could write simple machine learning algorithm detecting this scam with 100% probability.

Real 3D projection screen is somewhat possible and somewhat usable for niche applications. These guys put years of R&D into it:

That's super cool! Would NOT want to get hit with that laser though.

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 01:12:27 am »
They kept mentioning the pioneering work of Vladimir Titar, so I did a search for him. There is a Wikipedia page....but it was created this year. And there were some photos that showed up, but also from this year. A scientist of that level of prestige would definitely show up in a search. So my scam meter is pegged.

I noticed teh Wikipedia page is also being considered for deletion.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 01:28:31 am »
Q: I accidentally ordered the wrong color/ put in the wrong address/ want to upgrade my perk. What do I do?

Please e-mail our customer service at support@bleen.com with your full name, address, Indiegogo account name, and the details of your issue. We will put you in a special list to make sure you get what you intended to order.

Yea, I'm sure those emails go straight to the trash bin!    :-DD

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 12:17:01 pm »
How can you guys be skeptical.
Its all perfectly clear, it uses a "space-time light modulator" as its projection system.   :palm:

already did that  :)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 10:56:19 am »
No way I'm buying this, doesnt has an iphone support.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 04:26:27 pm »
I love the linked paper from CMU supposedly proving that their stuff works - it is a paper about a particular computer vision technique for 3D reconstruction, i.e. nothing at all to do with any of their claims (or anything with image generation whatsoever).  :bullshit: meter goes offscale here ...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 01:51:32 am »
Come on, they're wearing suits AND lab coats. I think they can be trusted.

To me they look more as two Iranian engineers at an underground nuclear facility
 ;D
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 02:40:18 am »
Please rest assured that your Bleen is going to be built using the (t)rusted technology, including the Soviet era RF voltmeter that is sitting on the bench behind the ostrich egg.

The photo does look as a typical high-tech Lab in San Francisco, California, United States

Ehmm, did I forget to say *tube* voltmeter ?

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 02:56:12 am »
I wish i had an ostrich egg in my lab.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 05:14:27 pm »

The egg is very rich, and not to every person's taste. The meat however is delicious, had it for dinner last night. Noe must go get some more.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 05:59:54 pm »

The egg is very rich, and not to every person's taste. The meat however is delicious, had it for dinner last night. Noe must go get some more.

I remember the episode of Survivorman where he was in the outback and had been given an Ostrich egg to eat. He waited until he hadn't eaten for a couple of days to cook and eat it... Boy did he get the shits bad! Ended up eating charcoal from the fire debris and laying around all day. 

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 07:52:20 pm »

I remember the episode of Survivorman where he was in the outback and had been given an Ostrich egg to eat. He waited until he hadn't eaten for a couple of days to cook and eat it... Boy did he get the shits bad! Ended up eating charcoal from the fire debris and laying around all day. 

Sent from my Smartphone

I haven't tried the ostrich eggs, but I have to concur with pickle9000 about the meat - I ate it once as an ostrich steak and wow, that was really delicious! It isn't easy to get, though :(

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 08:17:55 pm »
Can't someone report projects that violate laws of physics to IGG? If a report is made will IGG take the blame?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 03:13:36 am »
Can't someone report projects that violate laws of physics to IGG? If a report is made will IGG take the blame?

Alexander.

They don't seem to care... their attitude is "buyer beware"  ::)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »
I don't believe that the "buyer beware" protects IGG against the law. People should go against IGG.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Noise Floor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:55 pm »
So how many of the folks are actors (vs in on the scam), that is what I'm curious about.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf