Author Topic: canX battery charger  (Read 6352 times)

Offline VoidsWarrantiesTopic starter

• Contributor
canX battery charger
« on: July 15, 2016, 04:03:18 am »
i found this charger that has a usb AND a ac outlet on it.  It seems to have some overrated specs.  23,000mAh at 3.7v 85Wh seems to be ok since it weighs 20oz at 128 Wh per Kg.  but it says it can charge in 2.5 hours from a usb. 6.8A from a usb! I didnt go into it very far but it does not sound right.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-lightest-smallest-portable-wall-outlet--2#/

Offline daveatol

• Regular Contributor
Re: canX battery charger
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:32:20 am »
It seems to have some overrated specs.  23,000mAh at 3.7v 85Wh seems to be ok since it weighs 20oz at 128 Wh per Kg.  but it says it can charge in 2.5 hours from a usb. 6.8A from a usb! I didnt go into it very far but it does not sound right.
It can charge via a 19V/1.7A adapter, which should allow charging in two to three hours.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:37:44 am »
And where do you see that? From the specs all it can charge from is the standard microUSB port that would be limited to 10W and thus need about 9h.
If it could charge from the USB-C port and accept a high power supply then yes, but that doesn't seem to be the case neither from the description nor the comments. There's an "adaptor input" mentioned on a graphic but nothing says what it is, and in their video they precisely say you don't need to carry a power brick to charge it, so it makes little sense..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:48:10 am by Kilrah »

Offline daveatol

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:50:05 am »
And where do you see that? From the specs all it can charge from is the standard microUSB port that would be limited to 10W and thus need about 9h.
In the diagram (image below). Strangely I didn't see it mentioned in the text; they just said that they charge through micro USB because it's so convenient/ubiquitous. I guess that's true, albeit the slowest way to charge.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:53:32 am »
Yup noticed that and edited my post - but unless they actually give details about it I won't believe it, it smells way too much like "engineer consultants made something that could charge in 2h, but marketing changed it to microUSB without realizing what that implied and that their 2-hr charge claim would be nuked in the process"...  |O

Offline daveatol

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 08:04:45 am »
Yup noticed that and edited my post - but unless they actually give details about it I won't believe it, it smells way too much like "engineer consultants made something that could charge in 2h, but marketing changed it to microUSB without realizing what that implied and that their 2-hr charge claim would be nuked in the process"...  |O
Netbooks and laptops often use a 19V PSU, so it's not that rare to have access to a suitable PSU for fast charge. There's a big power hole in the top of the battery pack. Sure, I'll agree that it looks like marketing may have missed an important technical point.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 08:08:04 am »
Nope it's a power switch, not a plug.

If they show me the fast charge input I'm OK, but until then it's fishy. Omitting any reference to what enables one of your main selling points makes no sense.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:09:49 am by Kilrah »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 08:24:28 am »
Are you going to build CanX with EU plug 220V-230V/60hz?

YES, EU plug, 220V-230V/60hz

Most SMPSUs don't care about mains' frequency, but 50Hz would be more appropriate for Europe. And how crude is the inverter going to be for 65W in that form factor? Would it pass a proper EMI check?
:popcorn:

Offline daveatol

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:40:55 am »
Nope it's a power switch, not a plug.
Oh, my mistake. I just watched the first video, and yes, they only mention charging through the micro USB port. And the power button is obviously a power button  :-[

Maybe you should send the founders a message to find out how they manage to pump the required current into that connector?

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 09:51:19 am »
Maybe you should send the founders a message to find out how they manage to pump the required current into that connector?

Done already  >:D

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 11:19:16 am »
OK, so if it has 85 watt capacity and can be charged at 30W (via the 19V adapter) then that is almost 3 hrs, if the charging rate can be held all the way up from 0 to 100% at that rate. So the 2hrs is a downright lie. And suggesting you can charge via a micro USB socket at close to 7A  :-DD It would start melting! I suppose when I am out camping with a 10km long (joke) USB cable that just happens to be superconductive, I could charge via USB and use the heat at the connector to fry my eggs and bacon??

:palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf