Author Topic: Cloud Connected Keyboard  (Read 6858 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Cloud Connected Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 11:26:58 am »
As if razer synapse wasn't bad enough.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 11:27:30 am »
not one mention of security that I can find....

Offline wraper

• Supporter

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 12:05:30 pm »
not one mention of security that I can find....

Exactly what I was going to say, stop stealing the words out of my mouth / keyboard.   :-X

Upgrade enhancement unlocked : A Big Axe.   :horse:

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 12:12:46 pm »
As if razer synapse wasn't bad enough.
That's not the worst part about Razer's products.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 01:50:20 pm »
W-w-what the?!

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:51:32 pm »
Have not looked yet a sale's pitch for this.

Been trying to think of one way that it is not a problem due security or hacking.

Is there just one way this is not trouble?

Think this has it all, exposing every way that a device can be hacked or be a security problem

Ok, I did quick look.

Looks like it's included every possible way to have problems.
Think all all who want to cause problems will just love it.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 02:34:52 pm »
A keyboard that displays stuff to you by way of coloured LEDs?  That's pretty useless.   :-//

A keyboard that's connected to the "Cloud"?  That's utterly stupid.   |O

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 06:28:24 pm »
I am surprised that Das Keyboard is in on this. That is a fairly reputable manufacturer of mechanical keyboards where I would expect someone to actually know better ...

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 06:52:23 pm »
I think it is a clever, good and useful invention.

I'm almost tempted to buy one myself. I may even end up getting one.

Example of usage (if I understand it correctly).
One might have 10 different electronic/computer/test/mechanical/etc setups, at a factory which you are responsible for (in various labs/rooms/offices/server racks etc). So you can give each one a key switch (light) on your keyboard.

If it goes partly faulty, it can light up in amber, and if badly faulty, it can light up in red. Green for on but ok. Off for off.

But it could be used for all sorts of things.

The problem with using PC/computer screen(s), is that these days, they can be running all sorts of operating systems, and be doing all sorts of things. So interfacing to them, under all conditions, is not that straight forward.

EDIT:
On the other hand. I doubt there would be a big market for it (maybe even tiny). If the items are dangerous and/or you are not usually at your desk, you would need to use another method. There are probably other drawbacks as well.

EDIT2:
Maybe a better solution, would be to get the devices (across the factory, in my example), to send automated emails (if faulty). Then keep an eye on your emails (which people tend to do anyway).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:03:59 pm by MK14 »

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 07:16:16 pm »
EDIT2:
Maybe a better solution, would be to get the devices (across the factory, in my example), to send automated emails (if faulty). Then keep an eye on your emails (which people tend to do anyway).
That's the solution quite a few systems use. Not a fool-proof way is to keep pinging a system and if the pings fail an email alert is sent out.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 07:19:25 pm »
I think it is a clever, good and useful invention.

I'm almost tempted to buy one myself. I may even end up getting one.

Example of usage (if I understand it correctly).
One might have 10 different electronic/computer/test/mechanical/etc setups, at a factory which you are responsible for (in various labs/rooms/offices/server racks etc). So you can give each one a key switch (light) on your keyboard.

If it goes partly faulty, it can light up in amber, and if badly faulty, it can light up in red. Green for on but ok. Off for off.

But it could be used for all sorts of things.

The problem with using PC/computer screen(s), is that these days, they can be running all sorts of operating systems, and be doing all sorts of things. So interfacing to them, under all conditions, is not that straight forward.

EDIT:
On the other hand. I doubt there would be a big market for it (maybe even tiny). If the items are dangerous and/or you are not usually at your desk, you would need to use another method. There are probably other drawbacks as well.

EDIT2:

That's a great idea!  We could call them "Warning lights" or "Status lights"!  Maybe even group them all together, we could call that an "Annunciator" or something!  Then we could put them underneath a bloody keyboard...  :palm:

It reminds me of Homer Simpson's advice to his inventor half-brother, Herb:  "Can't you just take something that already exists and put a clock on it or something?"

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 07:31:42 pm »
Half a million bucks raised  :palm:

I hope you got yours for a review.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 07:37:11 pm »
It would drive me nuts. After a minute or two I'd unconnect the blinkenlight keyboard, open the window and toss it out.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 07:39:26 pm »
That's a great idea!  We could call them "Warning lights" or "Status lights"!  Maybe even group them all together, we could call that an "Annunciator" or something!  Then we could put them underneath a bloody keyboard...  :palm:

It reminds me of Homer Simpson's advice to his inventor half-brother, Herb:  "Can't you just take something that already exists and put a clock on it or something?"

I think it could also be used for all sorts of other things.
E.g. Speeding up data entry. As the user types in data, when the user should only press two or more keys, but NOT all/most. Only the keys they should press, light up. Such as M=Male, F=Female.
Y=Yes, N=No etc.

Yes we already have status Lights invented. But those usually do NOT respond to internet signals. These can work over Ethernet/Wi-Fi/internet.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 07:41:54 pm »
It would drive me nuts. After a minute or two I'd unconnect the blinkenlight keyboard, open the window and toss it out.

The 'S' key on my boss's master keyboard console light, would then flash in bright Red light.
Where 'S' = sack employee for wanton destruction of company property.  :-DD

EDIT:
On a more serious note. I agree that it would really annoy some people, who would hate it and/or find it very distracting.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:44:47 pm by MK14 »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 08:09:49 pm »
OK, I'll meet you half way.  Status lights on a keyboard; OK.  Internet communication to control systems / machines etc; OK (but dodgy),  CLOUD connected?  Nah, sorry!

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 08:20:21 pm »
OK, I'll meet you half way.  Status lights on a keyboard; OK.  Internet communication to control systems / machines etc; OK (but dodgy),  CLOUD connected?  Nah, sorry!

I agree!

Actually, I'll meet you 100% of the way, there. CLOUD connected, from the (very small number), of things like that I'v seen. Seems to be purely for the suppliers benefit.
I.e. NOT for the consumers benefit.

Either because they want to keep their design secure against copying and/or charge extra money, via monthly subscriptions.

But my conclusions, may be based on too few examples, to be valid.

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 04:58:52 pm »
Without news  on the front , these kind of device was invented by IBM  on the 70s decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_3270

The next time , that they invent the pacifier's mechanism  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 07:06:32 am »
Introducing the Keyblogger! The intelligent keyboard with built in keylogger! Tracks all your passwords, information, and searches and uploads them to hackable data servers to be made available to everyone! Now including auto-predict, automatically typing out the most likely result so you don't have to!

*at desk at work*
*I'm gonna need a portable solar panel when I go on vacation this weekend"
*Google*
*P-O-R-...*
*Let me finish that for you*
*GASP!!!!*
"NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
*Updating search preference database*
*publishing*
*cries*

"This just in! A man was fired today because of an auto-completed search entry..."
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Ontaelio

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 10:22:36 am »
The idea of a keyboard with individually RGB-lit buttons is pretty much ok. But the cloud?...

I can easily imagine how that happened.

DESIGNER: Look, I invented a keyboard that is illuminated by individual RGB LEDs! Is it cool or not?
OPTIMISTIC COLLEAGUE: Oooh, this is sooo cooool...
PESSIMISTIC COLLEAGUE: Hey guys, I googled it up a bit, seems like every gaming hardware manufacturer worth their name has already done this. Years ago. With tons of useful additions.
EVERYONE: Oops.
MARKETING: Lets add some cloud support there! Cloud support is sexy! Everyone will fall for it!
EVERYONE: Cloud support for a keyboard? What the heck for?
MARKETING: Sexy sexy sexy, you're designers, think of something.

Really, the idea is ok. I like LEDs, and I like the idea of keyboard-notifications (in fact I even used the Scroll Lock LED for this back in DOS times). But cloud? CLOUD? If you want a crowd-driven API, write a Processing library, if you're too lazy to make your own IDE!

But no. Innovation! Revolutionization! Something-or-other-progressivization! Future lies with the Cloud!   :palm:

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 11:14:00 pm »
As long as they make the thing without a full blown Linux install on it, then I don't see much of a problem for hackability.
looks like all cloud connectivity for the keyboard goes through the host PC anyway?

The main use case seems reasonable for some full on devops/sysadmin kind of person who needs to have live info about systems they are responsible for, but as mentioned above, a simple display box under the monitor would do fine - or if it's that important, have a part of the screen taken up with a window that gives you whatever info you need (or hell, just a single icon in the notification area of the taskbar that turns red when anything it's looking after goes bad..) Also if you are responsible for a bunch of computer systems you probably DO want to be actively interrupted the second something isn't right, rather than just have an ambient notification.

And the marketing copy makes me hope the keyboards will all catch fire once shipped to everyone who is moved to purchase by garbage like this:

"Do you often find yourself with millions of browser tabs open, constantly switching context to keep up with project status, weather info, software build statuses, customer quality metrics, stock quotes, websites alarms and even your boss’s urgent emails? Tracking so much information involves a lot of mental context switching. That’s your productivity going down the drain. You’ve known this all along but can’t help it because you just have to be in the know. You are an overachiever and there is absolutely no way even a single piece of information will escape you. Your peers frequently pick your brain because you are the keeper of knowledge. Put simply, you are the one who knows. Period.

So, are you ready to take your productivity and status to the next level?"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf