Products > Crowd Funded Projects

Crowd-sourced PCBs

<< < (5/5)

marshallh:

--- Quote from: edavid on May 13, 2013, 03:50:32 pm ---I agree that the original idea wouldn't work unless the OP could reject unmarketable designs.  How about this, though: subsidize multiproject panels by filling in the wasted space between boards with arduinos

--- End quote ---

Fixed

Corporate666:

--- Quote from: edavid on May 13, 2013, 03:50:32 pm ---I agree that the original idea wouldn't work unless the OP could reject unmarketable designs.  How about this, though: subsidize multiproject panels by filling in the wasted space between boards with small standard board designs.  I'm thinking in particular of SMD to DIP/breadboard adapters, which seem to be in demand, but are overpriced even from China.  Are there other small boards that could be made?

--- End quote ---

If the business idea is to use the designs from customers as a loss leader so that the free space could be used for items that would turn a profit - like standard board designs (whatever that means), then as a business guy, my first question to someone proposing this idea would be "why not just make the whole panel these profit generating standard board designs, and stop killing profitability of the panels with loss-creating boards".

pickle9000:

--- Quote from: Corporate666 on May 14, 2013, 03:56:32 am ---
If the business idea is to use the designs from customers as a loss leader so that the free space could be used for items that would turn a profit - like standard board designs (whatever that means), then as a business guy, my first question to someone proposing this idea would be "why not just make the whole panel these profit generating standard board designs, and stop killing profitability of the panels with loss-creating boards".

--- End quote ---

What? Make useful stuff that's in demand? Does that work? Will it sell?

johnboxall:

--- Quote from: firebug24k on May 12, 2013, 02:02:20 am ---Anyway, the site isn't live quite yet, but wanted to get feedback from the community on whether or not this has any chance of success.  Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

The success of your business (i.e. ability to make a profit) will be dependent on whether the boards you have will be wanted by others. If your first fifty orders are for obscure personal projects that nobody else is interested in - you'll be bleeding money for a long time. To be honest I think you'd be better off keeping your money and directing people to OSHPark or similar.

westfw:
So the idea is basically to allow an "open source HW designer" to avoid the $25 cost of having ten PCBs made at Seeed/Itead/etc by selling, say, six of those boards for $8 each to other people who might be interested.
$48 - $25 = $23 profit for the service, and the original developer gets four boards free in return for their design efforts.  Is that approximately correct?

I have to agree with other people that it won't work.

1) the cost of having PCBs made isn't high enough to be a barrier to the original developer.
2) The original developer could do this pretty easily themselves.  With much less effort expended on the shipping/etc than needs to be expended to make the difference between a "PCB for my own use" and a "PCB usable by the general public."
3) In essence, you'd be a shipping service, and I don't think there is enough "value add" to splitting up PCB shipments for it to actually work as a business.

Several of the PCB services seem to offer mechanisms for allowing your board to be bought by random strangers, if you want.  I'm not acquainted with the details, but a first step would be to check on how those work, and how well they work...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version