Author Topic: µCurrent GOLD on Kickstarter  (Read 223882 times)

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
Re: µCurrent GOLD on Kickstarter
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2013, 11:24:19 pm »
I can't change the text after someone has chosen that option. Not a bad idea, so you can't swindle the backers I guess.
I drove from home to the lab and all extra 10 were sold out  :-//
They were gone within 10 minutes of the Kickstarter notification email.
Well.... we gotta survive with a normal one 8)
Where is that smoke coming from?

Offline Phobos

« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2013, 11:32:07 pm »
I went through a LOT of connectors to find the right one for this, there are lot of crap ones out there, they might all look the same, but some are just plain hopeless.
Franky from the forum sourced this one for me, I don't have a part number for it.

*chuckles* Many thanks either way! I have only recently started out in electronics so you can probably imagine how daunting of a prospect this can be when it comes to finding connectors of /any/ kind...

Offline u271D

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:31 pm »
Any stretch goals ?

Oh boy, haven't even thought of that...
Maybe a BNC adapter or something?

That would be cool, I just got a Tektronix 2225.

P.S. I hope you like the postcards I sent; California 3D redwoods and Ukrainian Carpathian

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:42 pm »
Looks like Dave is going to end up making 1000 or more of the µCurrent GOLD.
I wonder if that $4200 reel of parts he was talking about on twitter (07.Dec.2013) is going to last that long   ;D
Where is that smoke coming from?

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2013, 11:44:24 pm »
Backed!

I've been hanging out for the new version, figured this would have huge support so went with the $85 backing to get one early

Cheers Dave :-)

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2013, 11:47:55 pm »
Looks like Dave is going to end up making 1000 or more of the µCurrent GOLD.
I wonder if that $4200 reel of parts he was talking about on twitter (07.Dec.2013) is going to last that long   ;D

I believe I remember him saying somewhere that he had about 1000 in stock, but I am probably wrong... all those flux fumes are screwing with my reality   :o

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2013, 01:23:26 am »
I believe I remember him saying somewhere that he had about 1000 in stock, but I am probably wrong... all those flux fumes are screwing with my reality   :o

Yes, I bought a 1000 reel of that part (no choice). Don't have all the other parts yet to make 1000 though.

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2013, 01:34:10 am »

Yes, I bought a 1000 reel of that part (no choice). Don't have all the other parts yet to make 1000 though.

It would suck if you sold 1001 uCurrents, and had to buy another reel.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2013, 01:39:30 am »
One part is easy to get from maxim as a sample. Try to give them money for 100 and they won't take it!
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2013, 01:48:15 am »
Dave won't need any more than 1000, his BOM will change for

(wait for it)

µCurrent PLATINUM Edition

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2013, 02:08:49 am »
Bought one even through I already have 2 of the original uCurrents.  Wish I could have gotten in on the signature editions though!

Kicktraq now shows the total trending to nearly $600k, but it is way too early to believe that.

Oh, and those complaining about no Paypal - check out the Paypal debit card (might not be available in your country...)

Offline warp_foo

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2013, 02:10:31 am »
I think we need another KS or Pozible project for Dave to make more 'first run' units...  :)

m
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2013, 02:35:49 am »
Dave won't need any more than 1000, his BOM will change for

(wait for it)

µCurrent PLATINUM Edition

µCurrent BERYLLIUMCOPPER Edition
would be even better because of minimum contact resistance, it would finally make µcurrent a true metrology instrument. Would include beryllium copper binding posts and switches with beryllium copper contacts.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2013, 03:02:53 am »
It would suck if you sold 1001 uCurrents, and had to buy another reel.

Murphy will ensure that happens...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2013, 03:05:11 am »
Kicktraq now shows the total trending to nearly $600k, but it is way too early to believe that.

Those trackers are worthless.
I'll be shocked if it reaches $100K. Watch it taper off completely in the next day.

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2013, 03:08:04 am »
Just pledged. I've been wanting one of your uCurrent devices for a while. :-+
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2013, 03:40:48 am »
As a question for Dave, would you mind sharing the part number for the connector used in the uCurrent? Just something of interest... plus I always have difficulty in finding good connectors, in general, for decent value anyhow.

I went through a LOT of connectors to find the right one for this, there are lot of crap ones out there, they might all look the same, but some are just plain hopeless.
Franky from the forum sourced this one for me, I don't have a part number for it.

Shameless plug (no pun intended) for myself here... I am ordering some more of these gold plated binding posts from the supplier and will be making them available through my eBay store soon. I only ordered a few extra pairs when Dave asked, should have ordered more...  :palm:

BTW, to the best of my knowledge the part number for these is "306-H". No idea how universally used this number is though.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2013, 04:16:00 am »
I don't mean to sound disparaging, but aren't those just pretty standard gold speaker binding posts like these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-SPEAKER-BINDING-POSTS-/360806311835

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2013, 04:28:08 am »
I don't mean to sound disparaging, but aren't those just pretty standard gold speaker binding posts like these?

Sure. But the trick is in finding the right one that has a suitable keying part that locks on the PCB, a wire hole, colour ID rings that don't fall off, the right depth for banana plugs, and with quality material (copper is more expensive), and all that at a suitable price. It was not easy I can assure you.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2013, 04:43:11 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-SPEAKER-BINDING-POSTS-/360806311835

The proper term is "Speaker Jewelry" Dave, what are the impedances on the scales again? I already have an application where I wish I had one!
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline the-wal

« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2013, 04:43:46 am »
First time poster, just backed the little red box on kickstarter.

I am developing some low power controllers and it will come in very handy

Cheers

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2013, 05:02:11 am »
I'm holding off for the µCurrent µNOBTANIµM PLµS PLµS EDITION!!  :-+

But seriously, I hope Dave at some stage does a Kickstarter project for the µSupply power supply project, as that would be very useful item...

Offline Slobodan

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2013, 07:56:48 am »
12 AUD (international shipping) + 79 AUD (uCurrent) x 1.2 (customs fee) x1.2 (taxes) + 3.5 AUD (delivery from customs office to me) = 129 AUD. That is to much money. Plus, I am self-unemployed and without a creditcard...

In most countries, the state won't bother to collect tax and customs on that amount.

Let me explain something to you. For every item over 77 - 77.5 AUD you have to pay customs fee and tax, in my country. Everything under that, can be imported without customs fee and tax. The problem is that customs officers are bunch of bastards. They do not give a f... about how much something costs or how much you actualy paid for it. They will estimate the value of the item themselves. It does not meter that you bought something on Ebay for 30 euros, they will tell you that the same item costs 65 euros in Serbia and that you have to pay the customs fee and taxes for it. Or give them bribe...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:00:11 am by Slobodan »

Offline dcel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2013, 08:06:39 am »

But seriously, I hope Dave at some stage does a Kickstarter project for the µSupply power supply project, as that would be very useful item...

Dave, you hearing this? I suggested this June 2012. Hopefully, with the recent success of your last two crowd-sourcing projects, you will now have the confidence to finish the µSupplies. I hope you do.

Chris

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:39 am »
Or give them bribe...

The fuge? Really? Thought that was a lame stereotype, but okay. I was very lucky with customs in Austria. When I ordered my bench meter for 500,- € from the US, it came straight to me, no fees. Same for the whole of my china orders. There must have been at lest 20 of 80€+ and never had a problem. In Germany however, I had to drive though the whole fudging city of fudging Munich to get to the customs office for fudging $12.50 and less. I showed them the bill, a copy of which was also on the outside of my package, but never mind, and they said: "okay, you can take it." Great! what did you need me for, again?! Happened at least 4 times. (Only he didn't say fudge).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf