Author Topic: µCurrent GOLD on Kickstarter  (Read 223866 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: µCurrent GOLD on Kickstarter
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2013, 09:33:13 am »
Dave, you hearing this? I suggested this June 2012.

My original uSupply was done in 2009. I could have pushed it out then, but I didn't, because it's a pet project of mine (as all my projects are).
It's not all just about money and success in crowd funding. It will come out when it comes out.

Offline jav

• Contributor
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:28 am »
In Spain they want to collect taxes also for the shipping. They even try to justify why this makes perfect sense. If the shipper fills the custom declaration with just the product price, you may get away with it, but if you show the full bill, even if the shipping is a separate item, they'll calculate taxes over the total amount.

With China it isn't usually an issue, as the shippers usually fill custom declarations with whatever concept and value they like that particular day.

Offline KaZjjW

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2013, 10:50:22 am »
Hi!
I wanted one of the first production run, unfortunately Kickstarter didn't want me to pay with Paypal. I ordered a credit card just because of you, Dave. I'll be living under a bridge, but at least, I'll be able to order a uCurrent soon!

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2013, 11:18:20 am »
In Spain they want to collect taxes also for the shipping. They even try to justify why this makes perfect sense. If the shipper fills the custom declaration with just the product price, you may get away with it, but if you show the full bill, even if the shipping is a separate item, they'll calculate taxes over the total amount.

With China it isn't usually an issue, as the shippers usually fill custom declarations with whatever concept and value they like that particular day.
In the UK, and I  think all the EU, the threshold of whether it gets charged is on the declared goods value (I think around GBP18 for goods, GBP36 for gifts
If it exceeds that they charge import duty (usually minimal for electronics) and VAT on the declared goods value PLUS the value of postage PLUS the handling fee (GBP8 for Royal Mail in UK)

The argument is that if you buy something in a local shop, the price includes the cost of getting it to that shop.

Unfortunately a lot of sellers (especially in countries with high tax-free thresholds like US and Australia) don't understand this, and include shipping cost on the customs label, so it gets charged double.

For low value goods, it is especially annoying if the seller's  inclusion of shipping cost takes it over the duty free threshold. as this can nearly double the total.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2013, 11:27:18 am »
Here the customs ask receipt of what you actually paid. The customs form  is secondary information, ss it is unreliable anyway. The chinese try to make me a favor and mark stuff as gift (trying to make me commit fraud), the shipping may or may not be included there etc.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2013, 11:29:43 am »
In the UK, and I  think all the EU, the threshold of whether it gets charged is on the declared goods value (I think around GBP18 for goods, GBP36 for gifts

I wish these "rules" were easy to find.

I sell an item for $15, and often get asked to mark it on the customs form as $2-$3.  I'm not sure if that's the level, or if it's just a knee-jerk reaction on behalf of the buyer.

In the US, we don't pay import duties(yea, we're awesome like that!) - so I don't even know how it works????  I assume you get a notice in the mail that you have a package, but you need to come pick it up.  Then when you arrive, they calculate what you owe?

I'm sure that doesn't leave a pleasant experience for the buyer.  1.) they have to go pick it up 2.) they have to *pay* to pick it up.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:01:07 pm by george graves »

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2013, 11:34:53 am »
Oh, a question for Dave.  I know you've mentioned that you didn't design fuse protection into the uCurrent so as to keep the burden voltage low.  What kind of effect would a fuse have on the burden voltage?  And if say, you were to add a fuse, what would you spec it out as?  I assume about 2 amps, and a fast blow type? 

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2013, 12:02:14 pm »
Unfortunately a lot of sellers (especially in countries with high tax-free thresholds like US and Australia) don't understand this, and include shipping cost on the customs label, so it gets charged double.

I've never put the shipping cost. The CN22 customs form just says "value", it makes no indication to put the shipping value too, so I don't why anyone would think to include that?

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2013, 12:19:08 pm »

I sell an item for $15, and often get asked to mark it on the customs form as $2-$3.  I'm not sure if that's the level, or if it's just a knee-jerk reaction on behalf of the buyer.

In the US, we don't pay import duties(yea, we're awesome like that!) - so I don't even know how it works????  I assume you get a notice in the mail that you have a package, but you need to come pick it up.  Then when you arrive, they calculate what you owe?

I'm sure that doesn't leave a pleasant experience for the buyer.  1.) they have to go pick it up 2.) they have to *pay* to pick it up.

taxes + brokerage fee + possibly another fee for them to front the money for you.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2013, 12:19:54 pm »
Oh, a question for Dave.  I know you've mentioned that you didn't design fuse protection into the uCurrent so as to keep the burden voltage low.  What kind of effect would a fuse have on the burden voltage?  And if say, you were to add a fuse, what would you spec it out as?  I assume about 2 amps, and a fast blow type?

You could include one on the Amps range if you wanted, 5A would do.  But if it's an SMD type, then it's as much a PITA to change as the resistor is.
I've included a fusible track just in case.
It would need to be around 5A say in SMD to get the same order as the switch and shunt value. But now you have 3 elements instead of 2 contributing.
For the uA range you'd need say a 250mA fuse tops, and that would be ok too. But same problem with SMD.
To solve the PITA factor, you'd have to use a polyswitch and they are just too high in value.
Through hole sockets are out of the question, so you'd need an SMD socket, then add in the socket contact resistance too. It just gets a bit ugly.

Offline jav

• Contributor
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2013, 12:26:44 pm »
If it comes by mail, they send you a notice saying that you have a package so you can either authorize the post office to do the dispatching for you and bill you for both taxes and the handling fee, or you can go to the airport and do it by yourself, which it'll allow you to get your package quicker but can take you a whole morning.

Usually couriers (UPS, DHL, FedEx) are much more convenient for handling this issues. Packages from DigiKey and Mouser may arrive 36 hours after placing the order with customs cleared.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2013, 12:45:45 pm »

I've never put the shipping cost. The CN22 customs form just says "value", it makes no indication to put the shipping value too, so I don't why anyone would think to include that?
Because, especially in countries with high exempt limits, they often won't have direct experience of paying charges, and don't understand why it matters if they declare $20 or $30 on the form - I've frequently had stuff with the total on the CN22, or an arbitary (higher) value, especially from the US.

Offline brian_stine

« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2013, 12:51:12 pm »
Maybe I've missed a previous post, but what are the specs on the "Gold" version compared to the previous uCurrent?

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2013, 01:32:32 pm »
Maybe I've missed a previous post, but what are the specs on the "Gold" version compared to the previous uCurrent?

You can have a gander here at the specs:  http://www.eevblog.com/projects/ucurrent/

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »

In Finland, there is no import duty for most stuff, but imported stuff is subject for sales tax. If the threshold is exceeded or customs takes it anyway (they don't believe the Chinese statement "gift, value $1"), I get a notice in the mail. I go to the customs web site, fill a form and attach some proof about how much I paid (e-mail or paypal receipt or something like that). I submit the form for processing. Sometimes the processing takes a second, sometimes an hour; I guess there is some kind of an algorithm deciding if it is processed automatically or manually. When it is processed, I get e-mail. behind the link there is the customs decision and a link to pay the taxes (If I can show that the threshold was not exceeded, I don't need to pay). If I don't dispute the decision, I pay electronically, and customs computer release the package. The next day the postman brings the package (if it is small) or a notice that I can collect it from the local post office.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2013, 02:21:25 pm »
Would be it possible to do like for the Smoothieboard?
Shipping:
We will be shipping the Smoothieboards from two places:
  • Oregon, in the United States
  • France, in Europe
If you are in Europe or the US shipping is free.
If you are somewhere else in the world please add $15 to your pledge to cover the extra shipping cost.
After getting a good response to their offer, they changed the shipping rules for EU backers:
instead of shipping Smoothieboards from the US, they decided to ship them also from inside Europe.
In a such way importing duties/taxes/... are zero because some pious souls have already imported to Europe the boards.
Surely the good response to Smoothieboard gave ample space to directly cover for the following bulk expenses:
- USA to EU shipping
- paperwork needs
- export/import duties
- shipping from EU to the customers

I hope Dave will get such good results with his kickstart to be able to offer a similar deal.

Anyone in this forum who have expertise/competence/proved seriousness to give such type of service?

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2013, 05:03:45 pm »
A little bit free advertising for Dave's µCurrent from a well known German IT news site: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/uCurrent-Gold-Multimeter-Praezisionsadapter-2068640.html :-)

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2013, 05:31:31 pm »
I saw you added 10 more hand-built editions—I was interested not so much in you as a pick-and-place machine, but the add-on of a µRuler which I gather comes with the hand-built editions. Kind of itching to get one of those: my big engineering flaw is the complete inability to grok scale, so when I'm designing, I can't get my head around what's a 0.1mm hole versus a 0.3mm hole and what would fit in each; hence, the ruler would come in oh so handy.

Ah well, c'est la vie—I put in a "donation" for a µCurrent standard with a couple extra bucks in case the shipping cost changes ... looking forward to the device and I guess I'll just have to spin my own ruler somehow (I never did figure out if it's indeed OSHW ...)
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2013, 06:12:03 pm »
A little bit free advertising for Dave's µCurrent from a well known German IT news site: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/uCurrent-Gold-Multimeter-Praezisionsadapter-2068640.html :-)

"A Bit"... it's just the single most important German IT mag :)
Congrats Dave :)

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2013, 09:46:03 pm »
Just a  thought on stretch goal - at some qty the case manufacturer would be prepared to do a custom colour moulding - maybe have a stretch goal for the case to be red (gold?) instead of black?

Offline Scutarius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2013, 11:01:17 pm »
I really like the black case, maybe a matching red but if you want stretch goal I'll love to have an adapter for the scope

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »
..or maybe just a less deep case - looks like there's quite a bit of empty space.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2013, 11:08:57 pm »

You could include one on the Amps range if you wanted, 5A would do.  But if it's an SMD type, then it's as much a PITA to change as the resistor is.

Not if it was one of these

Alternatively, if the aim is to protect an expensive/hard to get precision shunt resistor, maybe add a small sacrificial low-value 1206/0805  resistor to protect it - cheaper than a fuse, and easy enough to replace.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:14:42 pm by mikeselectricstuff »

Offline Mr Smiley

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2013, 11:23:50 pm »
Hi, keep looking at Dave's mounting income, and then i saw this  :wtf:

$146,000 for a blue shoelace.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jakehimself/the-bluelace-project-a-revolution-built-one-foot-a?ref=discover_pop

Dave, you could beat this hands down with a shoe lace with ' Made in Australia' on it  :-+  Only one though, you could double that selling a pair  :-DD

It doesn't quite seem right, considering all the work going into the  µCurrent  :clap:

:)
There is enough on this planet to sustain mans needs. There will never be enough on this planet to sustain mans greed.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2013, 11:39:54 pm »
Here is what the article says (I kept the "Germanisms" for fun):

Quote from: heise-online
"The ?Current Gold is a precision adapter to extend the measurement range of conventional multimeters. For example, with help of the adapter one can measure the standby and rest current of micro controllers or energy harvesting projects in the nano-ampere range with great accuracy.

The device was designed by the Australian David Jones. Who has made a name for himself in the maker community by means of his own website and youtube channel (called EEVBlog). Since his original ?Current has been sold out for quite some time, he took the opportunity to improve upon the design and founded a Kickstarter campaign to fund production and sales. The price, shipping included, is just shy of 60 Euros. First deliveries are planned for March 2014.

The ?Current adapter is open source hardware. However most makes will not have the necessary, very expensive, equipment necessary to test there copy. Dave Jones mentions that the whole manufacturing process will take place in Australia in order to support local business. Jones explains the method of operation in his own article.

The result displayed on you meter translates to one mV per mA, ?A or nA. Meant here is that an exemplified display reading of 10 mV on your multi meter corresponds to 10 mA, 10 ?A or 10 nA depending on the ?Current's setting. The quality of the multi meter in use, of course, still plays a role in the measurement, but Jones claims a resolution of 100 pA even for a 3-1/2 digit multimeter. Accuracy is between +/- 0.1% for the mA range. Below that +/- 0.05 (?A and nA) are listed.

Additionally the ?Current requires a CR2032 lithium cell. The cell is not included due to restrictions on their export. The design does not have any protection against over current, because the resulting voltage drop caused by the instrument is meant to be as low as possible. The multimeter itself though is still protected by its own built in fuse, only the adapter might sustain damage (overload) if not handled correctly."

-Translated by con-f-use

Nothing interesting in it except for the whole "Average Joe can't test that crazy Aussie bloke's claims of accuracy"-part.

$146,000 for a blue shoelace.
Yay for partiotism, I guess? :-//
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:45:40 pm by con-f-use »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf