Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 151318 times)

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2020, 07:44:53 pm »
28hrs left, $99,719 raised....

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2020, 10:21:06 pm »
I supported the H24005, which has been a hoot to use experimenting, testing & doing repairs. Wasn't hard to support this latest project therefore and quite possibly the last time i will ever need to buy a bench powersupply (that can do so much more)!

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2020, 10:36:28 pm »
Thanks everyone for support! A new voting is opened on twitter: https://twitter.com/envox/status/1214314436359532544

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2020, 11:43:11 am »
The crowdfunding part of the campaign is now finished. We have backers from 32 countries. Thanks to all!

Now I have to decide what to do with Ethernet and USB sockets. Twitter voting is closed with two votes more for moving both sockets to the rear. If we add votes from another thread then 4 more votes goes against moving USB to the rear.

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2020, 11:59:58 am »
Since you seem to plan using those pigtails you linked, the difference regarding the locations of the ports seems to be just the place where to mount the cable, right?
Ok, keeping the existing locations as-is would likely not be possible since the PCB will be in the way, but would it not be possible to have some holes, covered with removable blanking plates, on the front and back so that it would be easily possible to move the cable? I do not know though how to do that without ruining the looks of the box and how much cost this would add.

Anyway, if this has to be a decision that has to be made now, I will agree with danielbriggs:

I don't have Twitter so can't vote.

My vote is:
If it's USB Host / mass storage [USB on front, Ethernet on rear]
If it's USB Device to plug into a PC [Both USB and Ethernet on rear]

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2020, 12:30:03 pm »
Thanks for your input. I'm also more in favor of leaving USB on the front panel, since It is planned to be host also. Perhaps we can add "blind" hole on the rear for people who is willing to move USB to the rear, but for that I have to include place for pin header (since there is available ready made USB patch cable with 0.1" receptacle on one end). More importantly I have to check if RJ45 socket is allowed to be placed on the opposite edge of the PCB since it may now interfere with AC/DC modules that are hanging down from the top cover!

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #1 update
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2020, 03:55:33 pm »
Since I don't have my own blog, I decided to post campaign fulfillment weekly updates here (important info will be post on the Crowd Supply, too). I'll try to do that every Tuesday until everything is finished. In week #1 we did the following:

1. Sent latest BOM's to PCBA manufacturer to get delivery estimation
2. Made change on MCU module, where only Ethernet is moved to the rear
3. Contacted enclosure manufacturer regarding new prototype. They'll try to make a new front and rear panels and AC/DC converters mounting frame and send them to me ASAP
4. Still discussing with Crowd Supply campaign balance sheet that will be used as basis for funds transfer

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, exe, s8548a, AlanS, knapik, mcdanlj, Sabrosa

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2020, 08:39:20 pm »
I'd be curious to know your feelings on dealing with Crowd Supply - but wait until you get your money! :-+

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Hook-on probes
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2020, 05:16:37 pm »
I need your feedback here. Pledge level "cable set" include red-black pair of hook-on probe. The price is the same, but dimensions and design differs. Link to online poll (with pictures):

https://www.surveylegend.com/s/1z4k

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hook-on probes
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2020, 11:17:10 pm »
I need your feedback here. Pledge level "cable set" include red-black pair of hook-on probe. The price is the same, but dimensions and design differs. Link to online poll (with pictures):

I found I couldn't choose - on the one hand, right-angle is cute, but clip is also quite a bit bigger, which might negate the right angle somewhat. I think I will be happy with either.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: Hook-on probes
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2020, 08:10:21 am »

https://www.surveylegend.com/s/1z4k

Survey is closed, thanks for your participation. You confirmed what I initially wanted to deliver: ELECTRO-PJP 404-890 (overall size: 76 mm)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #2 update
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2020, 05:38:22 pm »
Progress from last week:
  • Discussion about campaign balance sheet is completed
  • Money transfer is initiated, and we're waiting for funds to become available on our bank account
  • Chinese New Year celebration started and we missed the chance to get info about lead times for few important items (e.g. TFT display)
  • We're in contact with PCB/PCBA manufacturer, lead time is not settled yet, neither we started with test batch since we have to pay for it 100% in advance
  • A small correction is added on the DCP405 module to equalize response in CC mode between 50 mA and 5 A ranges, i.e. 5 A range response is now improved:
Step response for 5 A range before:

Step response (Vset=5 V, Iset=0-49 mA step, load=16R4) for 5 A range after correction:

It is now pretty much in line with 50 mA range response:

The following users thanked this post: exe, AlanS, Andrew McNamara

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2020, 06:47:45 am »
Ah, Chinese New Year. For once it’s not biting me in the backside. Yet.

I previously asked about changes to the MCU board. Given the Ethernet is moving, did you find room to move the BOOT switch from the aux board to the main board?

(I was a little worried about how close the tracks got to the 240 V AC lines and spied an opportunity to move it all away.)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2020, 07:11:03 am »
Given the Ethernet is moving, did you find room to move the BOOT switch from the aux board to the main board?

Yes, both BOOT switch and battery holder to accept CR2032 instead of CR2025. PCB layout pictures: https://github.com/eez-open/modular-psu/tree/master/mcu/Images

The following users thanked this post: jbb, Jacon, mcdanlj

Offline Icchan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2020, 12:21:20 am »
Hmmm it's just too expensive for my current budget... and If i'll miss this crowd funding window this time, do I need to wait for a few years for the next possibility to buy one? Main issue is, that there's so many completely custom components (case for example) that one has to buy it as a kit or assembled unit or one can't really make one with nearly the same price...
I mean, this isn't going to be a off the shelf unit but one of a kind... right?

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2020, 03:18:17 am »
... If i'll miss this crowd funding window this time, do I need to wait for a few years for the next possibility to buy one?

@prasimix has said that unlike the H24005 he intends to keep the BB3 in production. I think somewhere here, but also elsewhere:

https://forum.makerforums.info/t/eez-bench-box-3-pre-announced/78025/7

Here's what he has said about post-campaign pricing (a few modest increases, and streamlining to not offer options most are not buying):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/eez-bench-box-3-sequel-to-eez-h24005/msg2857948/#msg2857948

https://www.crowdsupply.com/envox/eez-bb3/updates/more-fun-with-micropython-and-post-campaign-availability

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2020, 06:20:47 am »
Yes, both BOOT switch and battery holder to accept CR2032 instead of CR2025.

Great.

Looks like "LED1" is still in there (I guess you want it in a specific place on the front panel) - do I see a Protective Earth trace to guard it?  If so; I don't know if you should remove a little line of solder mask down the middle PE trace...  and I also note that the trace could go straight up from J4 on the top layer (surely removing a via is good for reliability...)

Does anyone have experience on certifying mains safety?  I've only done prototypes and just used giant clearances (e.g. 7mm+) for safety.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2020, 07:53:52 am »
Yes, both BOOT switch and battery holder to accept CR2032 instead of CR2025.

Great.

Looks like "LED1" is still in there (I guess you want it in a specific place on the front panel) - do I see a Protective Earth trace to guard it?  If so; I don't know if you should remove a little line of solder mask down the middle PE trace...  and I also note that the trace could go straight up from J4 on the top layer (surely removing a via is good for reliability...)

Does anyone have experience on certifying mains safety?  I've only done prototypes and just used giant clearances (e.g. 7mm+) for safety.

Yes, PE trace is added for extra guarding, and I can remove via and make direct connection to J4 as you suggested.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2020, 08:03:48 am »
Hmmm it's just too expensive for my current budget... and If i'll miss this crowd funding window this time, do I need to wait for a few years for the next possibility to buy one? Main issue is, that there's so many completely custom components (case for example) that one has to buy it as a kit or assembled unit or one can't really make one with nearly the same price...
I mean, this isn't going to be a off the shelf unit but one of a kind... right?

Except custom enclosure which you already mentioned there is no other custom components. All other components can be sourced from major distributors and five of them are listed in all BOMs. Even TFT LCD is not custom, and in practice you can use any 4.3" 480x272 display with standard 40-pin 0.5 mm connector.

As @mcdanlj said we'll try to keep BB3 in production. The first step in that direction is already happen: we received the first purchase order from Crowd Supply who is willing to have enough units available on stock after campaign fulfillment.

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #3 update
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2020, 10:56:39 pm »
Progress from last week:
  • Negotiation with PCB/PCBA manufacturer is completed, I expect that test run will start this week.
  • Adjustable feet are ordered and comes from Turkey probably next week.
  • Cardboard boxes are paid and scheduled for delivery in 2-3 weeks time.
  • Ethernet cable order is pending, we're waiting for CNY holidays to finish.
  • Availability of TFT displays are still unknown, again we have to wait for CNY holidays to finish.
  • Push-in 5-pin terminals are ordered from WE.
  • Nuts and bolts, fans, cabling, batteries, knobs, etc. are ordered from TME.
  • Now it is clear that delivery date has to be postponed. The reason is that I didn't manage to find enough AC/DC converters on market, and I had the following possibilities: to choose between 14 weeks, 10 weeks and 35 days delivery. The fastest and most expensive is selected, but that now moves delivery date to middle of March instead of initially planned beginning of March. Few distributors offered me a mix of auto-switched (F-type) and cheaper manually switched mains voltage models but I find that unacceptable.
  • Finally, I got a prototype of modified front and rear panels where Ethernet socket is moved on the rear, and Boot0 switch is moved from AUX-PS to MCU module (thanks @jbb):

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, gnavigator1007, AlanS, mcdanlj

Offline danielbriggs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2020, 12:12:32 am »
A really great idea of the weekly updates; and really enjoy following the development of this. (I don't know of a single crowd sourced project I have backed in the past who has this level of detail + care)
Keep up the good work  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2020, 12:59:01 am »
Thanks for the update, prasimix. We understand there will be delays outside your control, particularly with the wildcard of a corona virus outbreak.  :scared:

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2020, 02:27:39 am »
The curse of the modern age - TLAs and FLAs; apologies - Three Letter Acronyms and Four Letter Acronyms.

Like a number of others I'm enjoying and learning from watching the process but sometimes confused by the abbreviations/acronyms.
  * WE - Wurth Electronics?
  * CNY - Chinese New Year
  * TME - ?

Like the others, I agree that anything worth having is worth waiting for. Your level of detail is worth the wait.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2020, 08:22:54 am »
The curse of the modern age - TLAs and FLAs; apologies - Three Letter Acronyms and Four Letter Acronyms.

Like a number of others I'm enjoying and learning from watching the process but sometimes confused by the abbreviations/acronyms.
  * WE - Wurth Electronics?
  * CNY - Chinese New Year
  * TME - ?

Sorry Alan and everyone for abbreviations. You already recognized two of them, and TME is TME.eu, a distributor from Poland.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS, mcdanlj

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2020, 01:12:40 pm »
  * TME - ?

transfer multisort elektronik :)

The following users thanked this post: AlanS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf