Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 151457 times)

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2020, 08:54:28 pm »
There seems to be some interesting behaviour going on with shippers. I just got hit with an extra $40 charge from DHL for delivering to a 'remote location'. For 10 blank PCBs from China and bearing in mind that I have other stuff coming in from other suppliers via DHL, this has me scratching my head. |O

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2020, 09:06:33 pm »
Dang. That sucks.

Sorry if you’ve explained before, but why are you shipping to Mouser?

There may be alternative shippers (or even shipping methods; you’ve probably got a good size consignment for sea freight).

While it would be nice to get my goodies, I certainly can wait a bit. So don’t eat up all your margin on special shipping on my behalf.

NB: if using a different shipper, check out their pickup / drop off offers and insurance. You don’t want them sitting in a USA port waiting for a domestic transfer to Mouser...

CS instructed me to send everything to Mouser when it was ready for delivery. Mouser took over CS a couple of years ago, and now is Mouser in charge of logistics. I've talked with DHL Air Cargo. I do not know what to expect from sea freight, that could take quite a while. I'm in touch with CS and we need to discuss possible alternatives.

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2020, 11:33:41 pm »
CS instructed me to send everything to Mouser when it was ready for delivery. Mouser took over CS a couple of years ago, and now is Mouser in charge of logistics. I've talked with DHL Air Cargo. I do not know what to expect from sea freight, that could take quite a while. I'm in touch with CS and we need to discuss possible alternatives.

If COVID-19 breaks out on a ship it won't be allowed to make port. Even cruise ships with sick unaffiliated passengers can't make port, and the US Navy can't even escape this with the USS Theodore Roosevelt quarantined in port with COVID-19 on board. A cargo ship I expect will anchor at a distance indefinitely until it is long-enough disease-free (or, I guess, becomes a ghost ship :( )

They can't quarantine airplanes in the sky, so with air cargo the risks should be lower and more options available. Some airlines are trying to move from passengers to air freight to keep their slots occupied. I'd expect Mouser to be able to help with cargo brokerage; they move a lot of stuff.

I agree with jbb, don't eat your margin to beat COVID-19. We're all in this one together, around the world. Hang tight and don't stress about this. There's enough worry going around.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, Sabrosa

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #13 update
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2020, 04:20:20 pm »
Update from last week:
  • Meanwell finally arrived in my place.
  • The remaining TFT displays have also arrived.
  • DCP405 and DCM220 test batches have finally arrived. I found few minor issues: TVS protections on inputs and outputs were inverted, causing a short circuit, one IC was missing on the DCM220 and DCP405's the power transistors were not properly mounted (ordered package variant requires additional isolation).
  • The BP3C backplanes have been delivered in full, MCU and AUX PS modules are currently being finalized.
  • Two dear guys help me with the user manual: Felix is doing the second round of English proofreading, while today Jochen delivered me the first version of the German translation!
  • The Web simulator has been updated to see changes to the trigger system and a newly added section for defining turn-on voltage and current ramps and delays. More details coming soon.

The following users thanked this post: fuzzoli, danielbriggs, AlanS, Ranayna, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj, Sabrosa, jan28

Online jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2020, 07:51:42 pm »
That's great!

I hope the testing and final assembly goes well.

Even if the shipping continues to be a problem, it's been my happy experience that assembling modules / units does free up space (because then you're only packing one item for storage/shipping where previously all the subassemblies had their own packaging).

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #14 update
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2020, 01:24:54 pm »
Update from last week: Production of MCUs and AUX-PSs is nearing completion. I expect delivery soon. Power module production will follow. When the remaining modules arrive, we can start testing and finalizing the packaging. We do not know at the moment how to send it all to the US. Air cargo prices have skyrocketed.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2020, 10:42:07 pm »
Maybe the correct freight option is a slow boat. At least you can probably rely on the information you are getting. I'm currently being gouged by DHL paying $87 to airfreight an $8 item that I need urgently. Worse, they have a disclaimer about the delivery times and are taking nearly as long as normal postage.

My view, go the cheapest secure traceable freight mode possible so as to discourage the robber barons. I'll be happy to wait and you won't be hurt by the pricing. :box:

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #15 update
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2020, 05:50:23 pm »
Update from last week:
  • AUX-PS and MCU modules were sent to me last Friday. I'm expecting them soon.
  • To be perfectly clear, the status of the power modules is still unknown: I'm still waiting for any estimate from PCBA contractor.
  • 2-channel kit version assembly instructions are more or less done and now available online. Feel free to send me comments, suggestions about its form and content. If anyone is willing to do proofreading, the source document is available on GitHub.

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj, jan28

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
Re: BB3 fulfillment, week #15 update
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2020, 12:33:42 am »
  • 2-channel kit version assembly instructions are more or less done and now available online. Feel free to send me comments, suggestions about its form and content. If anyone is willing to do proofreading, the source document is available on GitHub.

Only had time for a quick scan through, but I didn't see any obvious issues and it looks excellent.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2020, 01:14:07 am »
I didn't see any obvious issues

The only tool required for kit mechanical assembly is a medium Phillips head screwdriver. Of course, a multimeter for checking the wiring and voltage onat a few points during the assembly is recommended.

Tut-tut :)

I am not part of this project but happy to give the proof reading a bash if no-one else fancies it. Only reason I haven't already offered is because I didn't want to get stuck in and then find it already done.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, AlanS, Andrew McNamara

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2020, 02:15:56 am »
@dunkemhigh - What a wonderful man.  :phew:

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2020, 07:04:48 am »
I didn't see any obvious issues

The only tool required for kit mechanical assembly is a medium Phillips head screwdriver. Of course, a multimeter for checking the wiring and voltage onat a few points during the assembly is recommended.

Tut-tut :)

I am not part of this project but happy to give the proof reading a bash if no-one else fancies it. Only reason I haven't already offered is because I didn't want to get stuck in and then find it already done.

Thanks a lot. Suggested corrections are already included online. I'll do the same with the final .odt and .pdf docs.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2020, 07:53:45 am »
That manual looks very good.  :-+
I gave the PDF a short read and noticed only a couple of minor things.

Page 2
Please note that AC power cord is not included into with this kit.

Page 6
This is a recommended method because it is less likely to cause the bottom plate to deform in the process
of leveling. Or shorter: deform during leveling

Remove the MCU module from the package and take care not to place them it on the conductive surface
to avoid short circuits as it comes with a battery installed.

Page 7
In order to mount the front panel to the bottom panel, it will be necessary to connect the TFT display to
the MCU module first. No , before first (I think ;))

Page 8
First, identify the connector position on the MCU module and carefully place the black plastic lever in
the up position (Fig. 9) to allow the display flat flexible cable to enter smoothly.
Do not activate power on the MCU module without the display connected or with a loosely connected flexible display
cable. Doing so may damage the power supply of the display backlight located on the MCU module.

Page 11?
Last picture cut off, page number missing

Page 14
Continue installing the AUX-PS module by carefully inserting it from the back, making sure that the
Standby LED and power switch enter its holes in the front panel.

Page 17
Improper page break?
First activation power up and installation of power modules

Page 21
When the converters are attached to the mounting frame, a the top cover should be placed over them as
shown in Fig. 30. Secure it with four screws (item M).

Page 22
Place the top cover with the monitored mounted converters behind the rear panel and plug the AC power connector
into the AUX-PS module as shown in Fig. 31.

Page 28
Carefully fold the cables coming from the Mean Well converter and place the top cover on the enclosure.

Mind you, I am not a native english speaker, so take my suggestions with a pinch of salt.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, exe

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2020, 10:42:50 am »
Suggested corrections are already included online. I'll do the same with the final .odt and .pdf docs.

I have a lot on so this would be a background task and I don't have OpenOffice installed, never mind know how to drive it. Would you be able to accept Word 2010 documents with 'track changes' enabled?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2020, 11:57:41 am »
Suggested corrections are already included online. I'll do the same with the final .odt and .pdf docs.

I have a lot on so this would be a background task and I don't have OpenOffice installed, never mind know how to drive it. Would you be able to accept Word 2010 documents with 'track changes' enabled?

Yes, if I can open it with Open/LibreOffice. I'm not using MS now for ages.

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2020, 01:42:01 am »
I've been looking through it. I see that at least several of the typos I'm noticing have already been found but not yet applied.

Post here and tweet again when first batch of changes applied and ready for a second pass?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2020, 07:09:24 am »
I've been looking through it. I see that at least several of the typos I'm noticing have already been found but not yet applied.

Post here and tweet again when first batch of changes applied and ready for a second pass?

@Ranayna changes are implemented and new version is on Github.

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2020, 01:08:27 am »
OK, you have a PR with my suggestions.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2020, 06:23:21 am »
OK, you have a PR with my suggestions.

Excellent job, many thanks! PR accepted, I'll also add items quantities as suggested.

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #16 update
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2020, 05:04:58 pm »
Update from last week:
  • I have information when power modules should be ready. Estimate is May 8th or 9th (this year :phew:). A couple of days for shipping should be added and of course another week or two to test and pack everything.
  • Firmware 1.0 should be completed by the end of the week. This should have happened before, but we decided to change the calibration procedure to have more flexibility (instead of 2-point calibration now we can have up to 20 points). This is especially important for the DCM220, which has limited possibilities for setting and reading currents below 1 A. The new calibration will require updating the User manual, which I will try to do as soon as possible.
  • BB3 Enclosure & Bare Boards kit assembly instructions were also written and posted on the web. The document source is also available on GitHub in case anyone wants to do proofreading.

The following users thanked this post: fuzzoli, gnavigator1007, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj, jan28

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2020, 08:48:49 am »
 :-+

Since I backed the bare board kit, I will give those instructions a read this evening.
Will the bare board kit be delivered earlier than the other ones? If so, I need to finally put in my component order  :P

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2020, 08:55:06 am »
Will the bare board kit be delivered earlier than the other ones? If so, I need to finally put in my component order  :P

They are ready but is not going to be shipped earlier (partially due to current situation with shipping to the US).

Online jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2020, 01:02:26 am »
I just had a look at the 2 channel assembly instructions, and I'd like to be the boring Safety Guy.  You suggest a power-up test partway through.  I suggest you add a little note in red, along the lines of "CAUTION: there are exposed mains voltages on the AUX PS board. Check for any foreign objects before power up and don't touch it while power is on."

You later say "Turn off the unit and unplug the power cord before continuing".  I suggest it should be red, and extended to say "Turn off the unit, unplug the power cord and wait 1 minute before continuing."

(NB, you should check how long it takes the DC rail in the AUX PSU to fall down under 50V when someone has forgotten to plug in the IDC cable.)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2020, 07:10:50 am »
I just had a look at the 2 channel assembly instructions, and I'd like to be the boring Safety Guy.  You suggest a power-up test partway through.  I suggest you add a little note in red, along the lines of "CAUTION: there are exposed mains voltages on the AUX PS board. Check for any foreign objects before power up and don't touch it while power is on."

You later say "Turn off the unit and unplug the power cord before continuing".  I suggest it should be red, and extended to say "Turn off the unit, unplug the power cord and wait 1 minute before continuing."

(NB, you should check how long it takes the DC rail in the AUX PSU to fall down under 50V when someone has forgotten to plug in the IDC cable.)

Thanks, new caution added.

The following users thanked this post: jbb

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #17 update
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2020, 05:44:21 pm »
I don't have much to say today: MCUs and DCM220 modules are on the way and I expect them on Friday.

The following users thanked this post: exe, mcdanlj, jan28, CygnusX1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf