Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 154044 times)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #325 on: August 27, 2020, 09:53:00 am »
Personally I'm very interested in the MIO168 module. The hardware looks capable to support a lot of different use cases: My primary use would be for it to simulate MCU outputs during the 'tweaking phase' of the hardware parts of my builds/experiments. Currently I find myself using my (fancy) signal generator way too often for generating DC voltages or PWM signals (simulating pins of the MCU of the project). The MIO168 has a powerful MCU of its own. That got me wondering: What will be the sample rates for setting/reading the outputs/inputs? And how to avoid skew or frequency differences with other modules/chassis: Most modules have there own clocks and I didn't see a synchronisation/clock/heartbeat pin in the current DIB specs?

It's still premature to talk about sample rates. Your idea about using MIO168 to simulate MCU outputs sounds good, but that is calling for opening a discussion and "peer-review" (possibly in main topic here) of what is added at least on the hardware side so far. For example, does existing digital outputs with low-side switches serve the purpose?

I'm aware about lack of synchronization (triggering) and clock in DIB v1.0. Currently only one signal is available for such purpose: SYNC output. It is used for syncing OE between more power modules. In chassis without power modules it can be used for something else. Other "auxiliary" outputs could be second module chip select (CSB), but something that is missing are bidirectional triggering lines, that "slave" MCU could trigger other "slave" or even "master" MCU.

Other module ideas I've been dreaming about in anticipation of receiving the EEZ BB3:
- A USB-PD module: More and more USB-PD is being used to deliver serious power to devices and I think it would be nice to be capable of setting PD limits/options and measuring power usages and read error messages easily. This might not need to be a separate DIB module: Maybe it's also possible to use a DCP405 module (power, sense and analog control) and use the UART of the chassis to talk to a external PCB with the USB-PD hardware incl. a small MCU. Software on the BB3 will rerad/set the USB-PD parameters. Or add this to existing module as an extra port and/or piggyboard.       
- A development module: I think there are several people interested in building specific modules. Having a module that has just the optocouplers, EEPROM and breaks out the (isolated) SPI,I2C pins to the front. This would allow for fast and safe tweaking up a prototype module or adapting existing hardware designs to the BB3 without the need for a BB3 specific module fist or the risk of blowing up other parts of the precious BB3...  :scared:
- A straight forward DC load module.

I look forward to and welcome any initiative to create new modules.
In the beginning, the bigger challenge will be to simplify support of new modules in the "master" firmware, but we have some ideas on how to organize everything together so that the functions of the master MCU and what will happen on the modules are separated, i.e. that the module carries in the firmware everything needed for presentation on the display.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #326 on: August 28, 2020, 08:31:04 am »
Ok, here are a couple of pictures. I hope the quality is ok.

These are the holes in the groundplane, all on the same board.

EDIT: Image upload is still wonky, i cannot attach more than three files, then it complains it is above 5000KB, which it isn't...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:41:50 am by Ranayna »

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2020, 08:38:57 am »
More pictures. The two througholes i noticed on the same board as above.
And the strike damage. That is not visible on the other side so I don't think this would matter electrically. Also this could have happend during shipping to me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:41:16 am by Ranayna »

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #328 on: August 28, 2020, 08:39:58 am »
And once more, these two pictures are from the other board, showing holes similar to the first board.

EDIT:  |O It helps to select the proper downscaled images :p
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:42:45 am by Ranayna »

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #329 on: August 28, 2020, 10:13:00 am »
Thanks, it's really interesting, for example that "artifact" on Board2_PlaneHole1.jpg looks like some dirt fell on the board during manufacturing. Such a lack of copper is not a problem here, but it could also appear in some vital place and cut a trace.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: August 28, 2020, 10:24:24 am »
Seems a bit too much of a perfect circle for dirt. Perhaps a contaminant?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #331 on: August 28, 2020, 12:24:03 pm »
Looks to me like a board house to avoid in future, as the hole placement is perfectly round, and randomised, it almost seems like there conversion software having issues.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #332 on: August 28, 2020, 12:37:42 pm »
Looks to me like a board house to avoid in future, as the hole placement is perfectly round, and randomised, it almost seems like there conversion software having issues.

Definitely, boards manufacturing was also arranged by AssemTec Europe. The new bare PCBs like anything else will certainly not be ordered from AssemTec Europe.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: August 29, 2020, 12:32:26 am »
almost seems like there conversion software having issues

That's a good suspect. But if that were the case wouldn't it imply that this hole is result of something else being misplaced? That is, somewhere there's some matching thing (not necessarily a hole) that isn't where it should be?

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #334 on: August 29, 2020, 04:51:35 am »
Back in the '90s, some PCB manufacturers used to have a lot of trouble with incomplete plate-through holes. I haven't heard of that being a problem these days, but it might be something else to check if trying to repair a defective board. Be suspicious of any places where the solder hasn't flowed all the way through the hole.

Also, those board defects look a lot like air bubbles during the manufacturing process.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #34 update
« Reply #335 on: September 01, 2020, 07:00:28 pm »
I guess I’m slowly getting boring with updates that say nothing. The absurdity continues and another week has passed without anything happening. The last thing I got was information that the pick-up would go through a UPS that engage their “Ocean team”! Whether that means they plan to use the ship instead of air transport I don’t know yet. I am waiting for an answer to that question.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:03:08 pm by prasimix »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: September 01, 2020, 07:52:03 pm »
On the contrary, this is quite fascinating and instructive. Must be a really big downer for you, and you have my sympathies, but it's not often one gets this level of detail without actually doing it (or not doing it, when it comes to your suppliers).

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #337 on: September 02, 2020, 03:58:23 am »
On the contrary, this is quite fascinating and instructive. Must be a really big downer for you, and you have my sympathies, but it's not often one gets this level of detail without actually doing it (or not doing it, when it comes to your suppliers).

Getting ripped off and let down by suppliers is "normal" in my experience... it's hard enough doing this stuff without a global pandemic messing everything else up. I wish I could offer prasimix more support than some sympathetic words, patience and some modest financial support.

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #35 update
« Reply #338 on: September 08, 2020, 06:51:44 pm »
Nothing new under the sun ... this is the fourth update in a row and I have no clue from Crowd Supply when Mouser will do anything about pick up. In the meantime, some other campaigns, for example those of my friends from radiona.org about ULX3S, are going well, the packages are probably already with Mouser, although we had shipments ready for pick up at the same time.

Maybe the next update will be better.

The following users thanked this post: fuzzoli, Kean, exe, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: BB3 fulfillment, week #35 update
« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2020, 09:46:00 am »
Ok, you’re sure to like this: so today I got information from CS that it’s actually best for me to initiate the shipment! In short, after a month I was back on square one! I contacted DHL right away and am waiting for them to answer me what the next steps are.

:horse:  :horse:  :horse:

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2020, 10:10:23 am »
The sweet and soothing sounds of bureaucracy in action, its enough to make your eys glaze over :)

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2020, 12:02:23 pm »
Well that is a bit crap.  CS and Mouser are in the distribution business.  I would think they should be the ones handling it.

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2020, 09:44:08 pm »
And just wait for the price gouging from DHL. As a logistics company they couldn't organise a decent headache :palm:.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: BB3 fulfillment, week #35 update
« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2020, 10:29:33 am »
Pick up is agreed with DHL for Monday, Sep, 14th. Depart to the US is scheduled for Sep, 17th.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: fuzzoli, danielbriggs, Kean, gnavigator1007, Andrew McNamara, knapik, mcdanlj, MaxZ, No.15

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #344 on: September 12, 2020, 04:03:11 am »
Yay! Hope it gets shipped off OK

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #36 update
« Reply #345 on: September 15, 2020, 03:17:25 pm »
it seems that we had to come to update number 36 (some numerologist would surely have something to say about that number :)) in which I will write that the shipment has finally departed. Yesterday, five pallets were loaded on the truck and today it went through the export customs procedure. The goods are expected to arrive at the destination on September, 22.

The following users thanked this post: fuzzoli, danielbriggs, Kean, gnavigator1007, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, knapik, mcdanlj

Offline danielbriggs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #346 on: September 15, 2020, 03:18:52 pm »
Excellent! I can't wait  :-+ :-/O

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #347 on: September 15, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »
Great news! I finally received the junkyard modules as well. Package took a hell of a beating, but they're not working anyway  :-DD

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #348 on: September 15, 2020, 03:26:08 pm »
Great news! I finally received the junkyard modules as well. Package took a hell of a beating, but they're not working anyway  :-DD

Hm, I'm curious to see that, any pictures perhaps?

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #349 on: September 15, 2020, 03:29:47 pm »
No sorry, I already tossed the box. Looked like something else heavy must have landed on it, but contents were fine aside from some scratches to the solder mask. Kinda surprised the heat sinks didn't do damage from the impact

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf