Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 151379 times)

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #475 on: October 27, 2020, 08:46:42 am »
Thanks for you input. What Jim reported is a SPI not an I2C issue. Of course there is still some small chances that something is wrong on the MCU modules. We'll find out that soon.

Ah, yes, sorry. But it looks to me like there is independent SPI for each module... doesn't that make it even more mysterious? I guess some other common elements might be the RESET line. I love a good whodunnit (but only when it isn't mine... I hope he doesn't have a loose USB connector floating around shorting stuff on his MCU board)...  ;)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #476 on: October 27, 2020, 08:54:44 am »
That's correct: we have separate SPI buses for each slot. Jim already sent me that modules so I need to check them once again.

Offline jhenderson0107

• Regular Contributor
    • Elk Engineering
« Reply #477 on: October 27, 2020, 04:11:13 pm »
@Andrew -

I performed most of the testing with the top cover removed (internals exposed).  All wire connections were well-secured and none were left dangling within the chassis during any tests.  Intermittent module errors recur with either or both modules installed into any slot.  Multiple versions of the FW (including the latest 1.4) exhibit the same failure mode.  I also suspect a problem elsewhere in the system (other than the modules), but returning the DCP405s for factory re-check is preferable at the moment. 

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #478 on: October 28, 2020, 12:19:11 am »
I also suspect a problem elsewhere in the system (other than the modules), but returning the DCP405s for factory re-check is preferable at the moment.

Yes - fair enough. Even if they do prove fine, that is progress as it narrows down the potential culprits.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #479 on: November 01, 2020, 12:35:32 pm »
Following the idea discussed on Discord, I opened first Donate account on Liberapay (hosted in France, powered by PayPal). The button is now visible in the footer of all my posts as well.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline knotlogic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #480 on: November 01, 2020, 02:30:42 pm »
I came across an oddity while browsing the documentation.  This page says the wire gauge used in the internal harnesses is 18 AWG, but the Mini-Fit Jr. crimp terminal specified (39-00-0078) is for 16 AWG wire.  Molex has a range of other parts for 18 AWG wire.  (Actually 18 to 24 AWG I think, but their site seems to be down right now.)

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #481 on: November 01, 2020, 02:43:42 pm »
Getting a bit frustrated at the lack of response from Crowd Supply about my kit that UPS returned to sender. They quickly asked me to verify my shipping address after my initial contact almost 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard a thing since. Tried Twitter as Denis recommended, but no luck so far. If UPS really did damage it, then I assume I'll be waiting for the next batch to ship, but worried I may not be accounted for. Thinking I may go ahead and order pcbs as I've been sitting on all the parts for awhile. Before I do, does anyone have any other recommendations for getting in touch with CS?

Offline goran.mahovlic

« Reply #482 on: November 01, 2020, 08:44:47 pm »
does anyone have any other recommendations for getting in touch with CS?

Crowd Supply has discord chat - so maybe there?

https://discord.gg/jhsuWVdUAm

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline danielbriggs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #483 on: November 02, 2020, 12:23:20 pm »
I adapted the DCM220's to accept shrouded connectors and sharing my findings should anyone else find this useful.

I tried two different adapters:

Staubli adapters:
RED: PN: 24.0163-22 RS LINK
BLACK: PN: 24.0163-21 RS LINK

+ve's: low profile.
-ve's: expensive.

PJP adapters:
Red: PN: 3300-IEC-1
Black: PN: 3300-IEC-0
All colours:UK Stockist LINK
+ve's: cheap + chunky
-ve's: slightly obscures front panel text.

Both have a small 1.5mm allen key grub screw that expands to lock them into the socket quite firmly.

I think I'll stick with the PJP ones for now, but I really hope all future DCM modules (even the DCM224?) have the shrouded jack type.  :-/O

All the best,
Dan
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:29:50 pm by danielbriggs »

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2020, 03:35:01 am »
does anyone have any other recommendations for getting in touch with CS?

Crowd Supply has discord chat - so maybe there?

https://discord.gg/jhsuWVdUAm

Thank you! Was able to get in contact with someone this way although I think i may have broken some sort of rules by messaging them. Never used discord before so really had no idea what I was doing  :-DD  They explained that it can take several weeks to hear from them after problems like mine, but that they were willing to try and reach out to someone else on my behalf. I had an email the next day apologizing for the delayed reply and informing me that they had already attempted to set up a replacement shipment. Unfortunately, they encountered a stock discrepancy. They offered me the option of a refund or to wait until the next batch ships hopefully in December. I chose the latter. Going to proceed with ordering pcbs and hope my schedule allows me to get to work as soon as they arrive. Additionally, discord was an excellent recommendation as I've discovered the eez-open discussions there to be quite active and interesting. Hopefully, I'll be catching up to some of you shortly  :)

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #485 on: November 05, 2020, 05:46:16 am »
Yeah it seems that with the various manufacturing problems there was possibly only just enough stock to handle the original CS orders.
Once you factor in potential items lost/damaged in shipment they apparently had a shortage, especially as during warehouse intake the products got listed for sale and I think were purchased by some people.

You can see the BB3 products on Mouser, but they are not currently orderable.  https://mouser.com/Search/Refine?Keyword=cs-bb3
Other Crowd Supply products (with stock levels) are also viewable & orderable from Mouser now - https://mouser.com/manufacturer/crowd-supply/

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #486 on: November 05, 2020, 07:48:43 am »
Thanks @gnavigator1007 for sharing this with us. I can only say that CS explanation is strange, what I also already told them directly, and asked for clarification. Regarding new shipment, I don't know why December was set for next delivery. I informed them on Oct 16h that the next shipment was ready to be sent and to this day I have not received any response.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, gnavigator1007

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: November 05, 2020, 03:31:47 pm »
I had one on order a while back and got bored waiting for a ship notice, so went to look and my order said it was on pre-order - it wasn't when I bought it and at that time it didn't say pre-order on the page. So I emailed to ask if there was a mistake and should I cancel then re-order to get it shipped now. They replied that there was some kind of delay and I could re-order and have it shipped, er, much much later or hang on and they'd ship within five days. Of course, I chose the latter and, sure enough, 6 days later my order says it will be shipped in December.

I think Crowd Supply must be the vending arm of your original assemblers.

Pity you can't bypass them.

Edit 201111: A large, slightly rattly, box from Crowd Supply just arrived. Despite not getting a ship notice, I am happy to take back my comments above.

Edit: Having now built the PSU, I get an email from CS saying it was shipped today. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:30:01 pm by dunkemhigh »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, gnavigator1007, mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
EEZ BB3 firmware v1.5
« Reply #488 on: November 11, 2020, 03:10:17 pm »
New firmware v1.5 is now available for download.

#82 Displaying power in default view
    #91 Build issues with STM32CubeIDE 1.4.x on Windows7
    #98 DCP405: With 'Best' current scaling, allow using 5 uA steps while in low current range
    #99 Hide hidden system folders on µSD card.
    #100 0.0V and 0.0A sometimes shown as -0.0V or -0.0A
    #102 Raw socket (TCP) connection issues
    #103 Implement MAV bit in Status Byte register
    #104 Garbage in SCPI error message?
    #106 lack of precision in low current range
    #110 Poor encoder control for PWM in v1.4
    #111 Add customizable boot logo
    #112 Notification when screenshot is taken

Accompanying module firmware versions: DCM220 v0.6 and DCM224 v0.9

Download procedure is described in Chapter 13.

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, Kean, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: November 11, 2020, 04:43:19 pm »
Assembly instructions: are these downloadable anywhere? I have a natural aversion to critical information being only available on a website. I realise that once built the instructions shouldn't be needed any more. Nevertheless, I try to archive any documents I get with tools.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #490 on: November 11, 2020, 04:54:48 pm »
Assembly instructions: are these downloadable anywhere? I have a natural aversion to critical information being only available on a website. I realise that once built the instructions shouldn't be needed any more. Nevertheless, I try to archive any documents I get with tools.

If you don't have (unnatural) aversion to GitHub you can find it here :)

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: November 11, 2020, 05:27:25 pm »
Ah! Thank you :)

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #492 on: November 11, 2020, 10:35:26 pm »
I'm sure at some point you'll get bored of being told how fab your project is, but until then I'll add to the compliments and note the super attention to detail (although I have 6 screws left over!). Reading about it and seeing videos is nothing like fondling it in the flesh metal, and I am particularly pleased with the touch display which works very well indeed - I had thought that the tiny icons might be tricky to hit, but they Just Work.

Small issue, though: the SDcard doesn't eject. I have to lever it out with a scalpel, and once the leading edge has cleared the front panel it pops out properly. I dont' think the panel is restricting it in any way, though, just that that's  how far it has to be persuaded before it will succumb.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #493 on: November 11, 2020, 10:39:39 pm »
Small issue, though: the SDcard doesn't eject. I have to lever it out with a scalpel, and once the leading edge has cleared the front panel it pops out properly. I dont' think the panel is restricting it in any way, though, just that that's  how far it has to be persuaded before it will succumb.

Argh, your SD card holder is probably ready for replacement. I don't even remember how many I had to replace because Bolek & Lolek Enterprise did not master the basics of soldering. I tested the insertion on each and every MCU module, however it is possible that some deceived me.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #494 on: November 11, 2020, 11:24:24 pm »
No probs. I'll shove on my next RS or Farnell order (unluckily just missed one).

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: November 12, 2020, 12:48:18 am »
Small (but potentially annoying) profile bug:

If you have a profile set and decide to make that the boot profile, you drop in there and change the 'no' to a 'yes'. The settings are whatever that profile is set for. Press save and the settings are now whatever the current settings are, which are shown if you open the profile again.

I think that when you hit save, whatever is being shown as the settings values are what get saved. If that's out of step with the current setup, too bad - you save what you see.

I can see the problem: you start of just showing what the profile is, and then change to saving it anew - when do you update the settings display? I would suggest that another button - 'update from system' - is available to set the settings, and the save only saves what is displayed.

An alternative, and what I thought should happen before I found out how to drive it, is to allow the settings to be changed from within the profile. To me it's more natural to go in there and then set this, that, the other, save. Then use it. It's also safer if there is something connected to the outputs as you absent mindedly change things in order to save them in a new profile...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #496 on: November 12, 2020, 05:52:16 am »
And... is there any way to disable the rotary encoder temporarily? Currently, when a channel is selected, the encoder is tied to the voltage, current or power values and if it's rotated one of those is going to change. What I'd like is to not have to worry about accidentally changing something. I know there is a front panel lock, but that locks everything - I would still like to turn things on and off, and explicitly change things.

Perhaps a way to achieve this is to deselect a field that's already selected if touched. Or some otherwise dead area that the focus can change to  (and not do anything).

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #497 on: November 12, 2020, 08:36:35 am »
And... is there any way to disable the rotary encoder temporarily? Currently, when a channel is selected, the encoder is tied to the voltage, current or power values and if it's rotated one of those is going to change. What I'd like is to not have to worry about accidentally changing something. I know there is a front panel lock, but that locks everything - I would still like to turn things on and off, and explicitly change things.

This occurred to me too. Maybe there could be a GUI button that locks a particular setting - lock voltage, lock current?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #498 on: November 12, 2020, 08:40:31 am »
@dunkemhigh, @Andrew McNamara, the easiest way will be to add "Lock encoder" as new option for user switch. Going further with selection of each parameter currently displayed on the screen could make a whole GUI even more complicated and confusing.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #499 on: November 12, 2020, 10:21:18 am »
Two more things:

1) we already have "confirmation mode" option for encoder which guard you against accidental changes,
2) instead of adding a new function on User SW as suggested before we can lock encoder with long push on its switch. When locked if you try to use it, you'll get error "Encoder is locked" similar to "Front panel is locked" message if Lock option is used.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf