Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 151310 times)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 10:12:05 am »
Hi, I still cannot talk about prices. The customized box (i.e. drilled, painted and printed) with mounting frames for TFT display and AC/DC power modules with bare PCBs set will be available during and after the campaign. Anyway, I can say that it will be cheaper then general purpose metal electronic box of the same size that will requires customized front panel, etc.

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 11:23:33 pm »
To answer Prasimix's previous question, I'll go the full Monty too (most capable modules) AND be watching for new module releases too.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Test batch of enclosures
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2019, 05:36:56 pm »
Today arrived test batch of enclosures, a step closer to the start of crowdfunding campaign. Now it is in final color RAL5022 as in previous project (H24005), but with mat instead of glossy finish:

The following users thanked this post: exe, AlanS

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 01:00:56 am »
Look at those feet! I had to put the front of my H24005 on a cigar box - and then I had to learn how to smoke cigars.

Did I say that when I was hit by a lightning strike, the H24005 saved ALL of the other equipment on the bench? Loved it!

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 09:04:50 am »
Did I say that when I was hit by a lightning strike, the H24005 saved ALL of the other equipment on the bench? Loved it!

The AUX-PS module of the BB3 is equipped with the same AC input protection as H24005, so in time of trouble if you're luck it can do the job of saving its neighbor equipment, too ;)

The following users thanked this post: billrule

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 09:15:33 am »
A very short presentation of the latest prototype:

The following users thanked this post: Kean, exe, AlanS

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 11:29:18 pm »
I like the way the AC/DC supplies are installed; while novel it makes sense to me. Likewise reserving the space for the CPU board.

The new front panel colour will be fine - but how do you intend for users to change over the individual modules? It appears to be a more major task than just undoing a front panel thumb screw and sliding in and out various function modules.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 06:14:32 am »
The new front panel colour will be fine - but how do you intend for users to change over the individual modules? It appears to be a more major task than just undoing a front panel thumb screw and sliding in and out various function modules.

The modules are changed in the similar way as in a PC: when top cover is removed (4 screws) to move module one have to remove two screws on the module's front panel (PC modules are fixed with just one screw). Does it make sense?

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 07:50:32 pm »
It does. I'm looking forward to it.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2019, 05:03:03 am »
Well I like the design, I like the form factor and the modularity. I will wait to see how much it will cost me.

Other question (it may be stupid but please listen to me): Is the firmware able to accept commands? Like for example I develop a small numpad/macropad with a dial. Can I connect via USB-C and use it as an input instead of the touch screen, using the keypad as option selection and for insertion of values?

Something like this:

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2019, 06:51:39 am »
Well Black Phoenix, this is an interesting concept. It sure will reduce the leaning over the test bench to get to the equipment - a big plus. Downside - yet another cable on the bench. Bluetooth connection?

I find the number pad and the two knobs of the Keysight E36200 https://www.keysight.com/en/pc-2993486/200-and-400w-autoranging-bench-power-supply-30-to-120v-10-to-40a?cc=US&lc=eng series very useful for getting things done quickly.

An external module, with a number pad and two knobs may be really useful. The same could be said for a lot of other instruments.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2019, 10:46:28 am »
Well, what's about speech recognition then? :)

Touch keypad is a key away from any output value (U, I, P) what can be set:

I suppose that having multiple input devices should simplify and speed up entering desired values. Two encoders on Keysight could serve changing simultaneously two values in case that two hands are used, and if operator have a good bi- or multi-tasking perception. For the rest of the people and situations one hand will be involved anyway, and don't know what is a real advantage.
In our "single hand" case moving from one output value to another is again a single touch operation..., and if encoder is used to set voltage on Ch1, with one touch to e.g. current of Ch2 you can continue to make adjustment with encoder. Additionally, "user sw" can be used to set encoder step (e.g. Auto, 100 mV, 500 mV, 1 V, 2 V or 5 V) that further simplify and speed up settings.

Regarding external keypad: yes, it can be supported in firmware (we have a complete control of it :)): it can be seen as an USB device, or another possibility is to use UART interface that is exposed on the front panel.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2019, 09:02:30 pm »
I'm not sure speech recognition is a good idea - I swear at my projects so much that any decent supply with be both confused and indignant.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, billrule

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2019, 01:55:43 pm »
Any new update prasimix?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 02:17:00 pm »
I'm struggling with finding PCBA service that cost of 2-ch unit is comparable with the previous project (H24005). Hopefully, I'll close a deal with company from Poland in a coming week, but now is completely clear that 450 USD target is not achievable for small production run. OK, BB3 comes with features that goes beyond H24005 and I believe that backers will recognize that.
I still don't have resources (time & money) to pack my baggage and goes to Shenzen what seems is the preferable way if one wants to be sure that everything will run predictably, if not smoothly :).
Perhaps we'll survive with "Made in the EU" manufacturing for a while.

The following users thanked this post: exe, mairo, AlanS, Black Phoenix

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 03:02:26 pm »
I'd like to learn how "very fast" is really fast: do we talk about something in a range of microseconds, tens, hundreds (or more) microseconds?

I asked the very same question. He told me something like:"The two current ranges are always on, you don't switch from one to the other, you just switch what you display"  :-//

Here the Keysight paper for it:

https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-0519EN.pdf
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Campaign start
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2019, 08:16:09 am »
I'd like to present pledge levels that are set for the campaign:

BB3 enclosureMetal enclosure kit with wire harness and nuts & bolts for three modules, incl. 4.3" TFT touchscreen display, encoder knob and 80 mm fan. Set of bare PCBs for building AUX-PS, MCU STM32F7, BP3C, 2 x DCP405(B) and 1 x DCM220 module. Suitable for builders that have skills, time and patience.
BB3 starterStarter kit includes BB3 enclosure kit without bare PCBs but with assembled AUX-PS, MCU STM32F7 modules and BP3C DIB 3-slot backplane. This pledge represents a starting environment to experimenters that are willing to build their own modules or looking for specific BB3 configuration (e.g. six channels).
BB3 2-ch basic2-ch basic kit includes BB3 starter set, and two DCP405B single channel (40 V, 5 A) basic power modules with AC/DC power modules. A great two channel programmable power source suitable for most of everyday tasks. Expandable to three or four channels.
BB3 2-ch full2-ch full kit includes BB3 starter set, and two DCP405 single channel (40 V, 5 A) fully featured power modules with two AC/DC power modules. A two channel programmable power source with advanced features of remote sensing, remote programming, down-programmer and additional OVP (with crowbar).
BB3 4-ch basic4-ch basic kit includes BB3 starter set, and two DCP405B single channel (40 V, 5 A) basic power modules, one dual channel DCM220 power module and three AC/DC power modules. This is expanded 2-ch basic kit when additional two programmable power sources are needed.
2-ch moduleDCM220, a two channels (2 x 20 V, 4 A) power module with AC/DC power module.
1-ch basic moduleDCP405B, a single channel (40 V, 5 A) basic power module with AC/DC power module.
1-ch full moduleDCP405, a fully featured single channel (40 V, 5 A) power module with remote sensing, remote programming, down-programmer and crowbar OVP. The AC/DC power module is also included.

The campaign should start next week (still cannot get an exact time and date from CS crew).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:26:47 am by prasimix »

The following users thanked this post: s8548a

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2019, 09:05:48 am »
For those of you who are familiar with Discord, this is an open invitation to join the discussion group on crowdfunding (#crowdsupply): https://discord.gg/V8gPmws
I will try to answer the questions promptly while I am online, as here.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
EEZ Bench Box 3 campaign video
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2019, 07:29:20 am »
This is the official video of the campaign, I believe you will like it no matter what I tried to show a lot in such a short time :)

The following users thanked this post: exe, AlanS

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2019, 09:42:55 am »
Hi prasimix,

if I have understood your pledge levels correctly, there is no complete kit version available? The first tier is mostly the mechanical parts, while the other tiers are fully assembled, correct?

I saw pictures of your modules with heatsinks. Are those included on the first tier or are those standard of the shelf parts?
Will you include a comprehensive part-list, or maybe offer a full set of parts yourself? Would be nice to have that while the campaign is running to get an idea of the total cost.

The following users thanked this post: Towger

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2019, 10:12:20 am »
No, a fully assembled unit is not offered through any pledge level. For example, the BB3 2-ch basic contains enclosures and accessories, assembled and tested modules so you only need to have a Philips screwdriver and invest about an hour to connect all to the functional unit (just as was the case with H24005).
The Assembly instructions will be available before the end of the campaign (this is how it looked like for the H24005), and User manual will be also available this time :).

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2019, 10:18:42 am »
I saw pictures of your modules with heatsinks. Are those included on the first tier or are those standard of the shelf parts?
Will you include a comprehensive part-list, or maybe offer a full set of parts yourself? Would be nice to have that while the campaign is running to get an idea of the total cost.

This is an fully open source project. Therefore a comprehensive BOMs together with schematics, Gerbers, mechanical parts, etc. are already available on the GitHub. If you're interesting in DCP405 module for instance, you can find everything here (BTW, used heatsink is an "off-the-shelf" part).

But again, all offered modules will come fully assembled and tested. All what you need to do is to insert it into the BB3 enclosure.

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2019, 12:20:45 pm »
Well, I want a kit ;)
Some time ago I was on the lookout for a comprehensive kit that builds something useful. Something that is more than a cheap component tester or a LED cube. I missed your previous campaign and am very glad that the EEZ Bench Box gives me a new opportunity.

That BOM example you linked is impressive. So many BOM items, complete with various order numbers  :-+. Seeing that I can understand why you do not want to deal with offering a full kit.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, billrule

Offline xlfe

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2019, 07:54:00 pm »
@prasimix I missed out on the eez-h24005 so I was super excited to see the BB3 campaign announcement a few months back. I've been reading through your posts about each module and the more I learn the more impressed I am with the BB3 and the modules.

One thing I was wondering about was whether an option for using your CF-DIC design was part of the campaign instead of the meanwell supplies? It seems like it's not?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2019, 09:33:45 pm »
Unfortunately it is not. The cost was way too high and I also didn't manage to find time and money to proceed with certification.
I've either gave up from QR flyback on the AUX PS module and replace it with Mean Well's 10 W modules because they are certified.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf