Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 151319 times)

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2019, 11:17:13 pm »
I am going to order it now.
Looking very good. When are you expecting to have additional modules please?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2019, 09:22:49 am »
I'm planning to work on few modules during next year: a simple low-speed digital/analog I/O module, 2Q DC power module and DC power analyzer. Of course that is not a job for single person. I believe that I found a good candidate to make 2Q DC power module. Low-speed digital/analog I/O module I should be able to make myself. A great deal of assistance will required for DC power analyzer. In parallel I'll open a project of integration FPGA technology into EEZ BB3 with team behind ULX3S project.
That should be enough tasks to keep me busy for 70-80 hr/week :)

The following users thanked this post: Cthulhoid

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
EEZ BB3 data logging
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2019, 09:43:36 am »
An example of why does color touch-screen display on programmable power supply matter. Recording and viewing of the logged data is possible directly on the display. The recorded data is on an SD card and can be transferred with one click to a PC for further processing and analysis thanks to the FOSS multi-platform EEZ Studio application.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2019, 08:49:24 am »
Hi everyone, the campaign has continued to slow down, but we will try to revive it to some extent with new updates. I would ask for the help of backers and anyone else who finds this project interesting and useful to follow us on Twitter (@envox) and spread the word on social networks and other forums where you are active.

I'd like to encourage potential EU backers once again with the following excerpt from the Crowd Supply policy:

VAT and Customs
Crowd Supply pre-pays VAT (GST) and pre-clears customs for all packages shipped to all EU countries, Switzerland, Australia, and Canada. This means the package is delivered directly to the backer's door without the need for the backer to deal with a customs house.

Many thanks in advance!

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2019, 08:54:38 am »
What country are they being shipped from?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2019, 08:55:20 am »
Portland, OR, USA

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2019, 03:30:57 pm »
Would it be possible to buy the device later? I don't need a power supply itself, but I'd like to get an SMU module if/when it's available.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2019, 03:44:58 pm »
Would it be possible to buy the device later? I don't need a power supply itself, but I'd like to get an SMU module if/when it's available.

It's sort of a chicken and egg problem: if we do not succeed with crowdfunding that will lower the chance that we find a way how to finance production of enclosures and basic modules and create a "credit" line with selected manufacturers for production of new units and modules. Therefore, even the small donation could help us to kickstart BB3 production.
Unlike the H24005, which was a one-off production, BB3 was designed modularly to establish continuous production easily and I believe it is feasible.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
DCP405 power module advanced features
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2019, 07:27:33 am »
DCP405 power module delivers 0 to 40 V, 0 - 50 mA or 0 - 5 A. This video shows its four advanced features:
  • remote sense
  • down-programmer
  • remote programming
  • fast over-voltage protection

The following users thanked this post: exe, s8548a, AlanS, Andrew McNamara

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 chassis...
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2019, 10:17:29 pm »
I don't know how to make a poll in existing forum's thread. Therefore I'm copying one that is under way. Your input is highly appreciated:

https://twitter.com/envox/status/1205200299457163264

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2019, 11:01:37 pm »
Done; I selected leave as is, although as stated I would prefer USB on front LAN on rear. USB sticks need to be accessible, LAN cables not so much.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2019, 04:22:47 pm »

Thanks all for participation. It seems that mounting connectors on the front panel wasn't as favorable as on the rear panel. According to comments the "truth" is somewhere in the middle: USB on the front, Ethernet on the back.

It could be a first strech goal if we can talk about such thing this time: if we reach 100 KUSD this should be enough to cover the cost of new prototyping and the addition of two cables in all orders.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Power outputs coupling and tracking
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2019, 10:30:08 pm »
A new short video addressing four different types of power outputs coupling performed under firmware control and without need for extra wiring:

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2019, 04:02:01 pm »
Another question regarding the kit recently occurred to me.

What about calibration? What equipment do I need to properly calibrate it?

Regarding the placement of Ethernet and USB: If moving Ethernet to the back would also cause USB to be moved back, then please keep it as it is. USB on the back would be a bigger hassle than Ethernet on the front :) Also I would imagine that would move the SD-Card slot to the back as well. And that just asks for dropped cards  >:D

Using something like a pigtail adapter should reasonably work for both Ethernet and USB though.

Something like these (first hits on google image search)
https://thepihut.com/products/panel-mount-ethernet-rj45-extension-cable (with a longer cable of course)
And this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-RJ45-Network-Ethernet-8P8C-Socket-Connector-8Pin-Vertical-180-PCB-Mount-/192847609885

Your are only running 100Mbps, so using such an adapter cable will not be an issue.
Bonus points for keeping the ethernet status LEDs on the front  ;D

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »
Another question regarding the kit recently occurred to me.

What about calibration? What equipment do I need to properly calibrate it?

If you are backed kit with assembled modules than you don't need to do anything. All modules will come calibrated to the extend of what my FLUKE287 could provide. Anyway the calibration is a simple process: you have to follow calibration wizard steps as described in User manual (Chapter 13).

Regarding the placement of Ethernet and USB: If moving Ethernet to the back would also cause USB to be moved back, then please keep it as it is. USB on the back would be a bigger hassle than Ethernet on the front :) Also I would imagine that would move the SD-Card slot to the back as well. And that just asks for dropped cards  >:D

Using something like a pigtail adapter should reasonably work for both Ethernet and USB though.

Something like these (first hits on google image search)
https://thepihut.com/products/panel-mount-ethernet-rj45-extension-cable (with a longer cable of course)
And this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-RJ45-Network-Ethernet-8P8C-Socket-Connector-8Pin-Vertical-180-PCB-Mount-/192847609885

Your are only running 100Mbps, so using such an adapter cable will not be an issue.
Bonus points for keeping the ethernet status LEDs on the front  ;D

For now, both connectors remain on the front panel as the additional cost of prototyping and cabling goes out of the campaign budget. This will be set up as the first stretch goal, but I have already made a new variant of the MCU PCB where the connectors have been removed to the rear. Currently both versions are on GitHub: r1B6 and r2B1. Here's what r2B1 looks like:

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2019, 05:17:19 pm »
I am not a part of this (yet!) but perhaps I could make a suggestion...

What I see here is the PSU taking up significant space on the bench, which should be given over to whatever is being worked on rather than the tools. The PSU could be moved to, say, a shelf but then it would be a real drag to drive that touchscreen with one's arm at full stretch and an upward 45 degree angle.

How about a remote front panel? I don't mean remote control feature for, say, a PC or phone. I mean that actual front panel we see there but on its own with none of the rest of the stuff. It would take up no room at all, be highly maneuverable (on the end of a bit of cable, but could be wireless?) yet still give the full features and feel of the real thing. After all, that's the bit you want to mess about with - once your power cables are connected you're not going to be swapping them around every 5 seconds so the hardware side of the PSU can be well out of reach.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2019, 05:40:26 pm »
Huh, that sounds like a real challenge! That could be possible but I'm concerned about the cost of such solution. A remote "terminal" should be housed in something nice but robust, perhaps a custom made plastic enclosure. Maybe not, if something suitable already exists. Otherwise only making a custom casting tool will cost a fortune.
But there is two other possibility: one is completely crazy and that is to rotate enclosure in "portrait" position such as mini tower PC enclosures and rotate all screen contents. Another one you are already discarded, but I'll mention it: use some of MQTT clients for "smart" phone and arrange your own dashboard. That shouldn't be a big task (no real programming is involved).

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2019, 06:00:48 pm »
I guess a tablet would work if it replicated the front panel closely.

Just an idea :)

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, s8548a

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2019, 06:30:58 pm »
I remember in one of the BB3 threads the suggestion about adding a small hardware keyboard to control the BB3. I thought that idea was really neat and hope something like that gets implemented at some point.

I honestly do not know if it makes really sense to talk about stretchgoals though at this point. If the funding keeps going at this rate the BB3 will barely make it...

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2019, 08:20:14 pm »
I'm concerned like Ranaya, the BB3 appears to be stalling. I suspect that people are looking at it as a replacement for their current power supply or even a more competent version of something they already have. It is SO MUCH MORE. It's a test system.

With the ability to slide in and out various programmable modules, much of the hack work that goes into testing can be done by the machine with the results recorded for later analysis.

Prasimix in his first video mentioned what they have in the works - but I know others have suggested a data logger, 2Q, audio test and other options.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2019, 09:34:15 am »
I remember in one of the BB3 threads the suggestion about adding a small hardware keyboard to control the BB3. I thought that idea was really neat and hope something like that gets implemented at some point.

I'm more interesting in adding support for my old USB Sony foot pedal FS-85 (there is few others used in dictation solutions). It has three switches like left-up-right that can be used for e.g. increase-decrease selected voltage or current, turns OE on or off, etc. and leave both hands free for other activities.

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2019, 07:53:52 pm »
But tapping your feet to the music may be a problem.

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2019, 08:05:59 am »
I have not looked at the SCPI protocol at all.
But from what I can glean from the descriptions, it looks as if that would allow remote control of many functions of the BB3.

Since the BB3 has SCPI over Ethernet, even standalone wireless control panels should be possible.

In that regard, as I said not knowing anything about SCPI, or how the BB3 implements it, is there any security in place for remote SCPI access?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2019, 08:14:51 am »
SCPI is "plain stupid" text protocol for communication with various T&M devices. Therefore security has to be managed on some other (lower) layer. It's suitable for closed, non-encrypted lab's LANs. For accessing device outside LXI should be implemented that require HTTP server or HTTPS server for security reasons. Other possibility is to use MQTT on which we are currently working and first demo will follows soon. Perhaps we should "encapsulate" SCPI commands in MQTT messaging.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 web simulator
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2019, 08:28:25 am »
Feel free to explore most of the implemented SCPI commands using Web simulator. SCPI commands are listed in Chapter 4 and Chapter 5.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf