Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 152710 times)

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2020, 03:33:05 pm »
Great work, and great community management. To keep us in the loop like that is very nice. Especially doing this out in the open for anyone, not just backers. That shows me that you are very confident in your product  :-+

Do you already have a "cutoff" date when the design and the BOM will be finalized? I do not want to order parts before that, but on the other hand I also do not want to wait until the kit ships  ;D

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2020, 03:38:55 pm »
Thanks Ranayna, I'm suggesting that you're wait for 1.0 release on the GitHub (current version is 0.99).
Of course, I'll announce that also here. Technically the BOM are finalized as the latest modification was added today, but it's still a small chance that something pop-up during test run. Therefore I'm not going to release v1.0 until samples from test run arrive and pass testing.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, s8548a, mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #4 update
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2020, 02:12:04 pm »
Progress from last week:
  • Test run of first 10 sets of PCB modules started last Friday
  • TFT displays are paid today and no unexpected delay is announced
  • Varisom, enclosure manufacturer sent us few pictures from production
  • "Nuts&bolts" arrived from TME.eu, and enclosure feet are waiting for Custom clearance
  • Firmware is developing continuously, a lot of small fixes and improvements were added
  • Wire harness assembly is planned to start in coming days.

The following users thanked this post: fuzzoli, danielbriggs, exe, gnavigator1007, s8548a, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, knapik, mcdanlj, Sabrosa

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #5 update
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2020, 05:10:22 pm »
Progress from last week:
  • The PCBA manufacturer told me that 80% of all parts needed for modules assembly now arrived. However it is not confirmed when the rest will come, and some delays are possible
  • PCB production should be finished to the end of this week, and stencils are ready for production
  • I'm waiting for update regarding manufacturing and delivery of AC/DC converters and TFT displays due to coronavirus. New delays are possible. They are still working from home and new update can be expected next week
  • Enclosure parts arrived from painting shop

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, gnavigator1007, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj, Sabrosa

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #6 update
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2020, 01:31:53 pm »
The main news for this update is that TFT display supplier from China announced new 3-4 weeks delay due to situation with coronavirus. What starts to be annoying is that they cannot give any estimate when production will be stabilized and what is expected date of delivery. I've spent limited time looking for alternative but I didn't find anything is required quantity. We still don't receive any feedback regarding AC/DC converters since supplier office is closed until Feb, 20th. Status of Ethernet patch cables is unknown, too.
Going back to Europe, the situation is as follows:
  • PCBA manufacturer is still waiting for PCBs, but they send me pictures of stencils (see below). About 5% of components are still missing.
  • Work on wire harness is progressing well.
  • Enclosures are in final phase, only silkscreens are missing on the front and rear panels.

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, Andrew McNamara

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Re: BB3 fulfillment, week #6 update
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2020, 01:43:53 pm »
China announced new 3-4 weeks delay due to situation with coronavirus. What starts to be annoying is that they cannot give any estimate when production will be stabilized and what is expected date of delivery.

I think they don't know themselves when it's going to be resolved, so can't blame them. I got delays with my orders from China too, and I think all we can do is to patiently wait. I think they have financial losses and it's not in their interest to delay for more than necessary.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew McNamara

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2020, 08:01:35 pm »
Speaking only for myself as merely one of 211 backers... I'd hate for you to spend extra to try to make up for COVID-19, and as a result put ongoing support and continued production of DIB modules at risk. Even the biggest vendors worldwide are announcing unknown impact from the epidemic, and of course we your backers are similarly impacted. Do what you can, and not what you can't, and just keep updating us on status as you have. Even if you get to a week where it is "everything is complete that isn't blocked by COVID-19" just let us know that and I at least will be grateful to know whta's up.

Other crowd-funded projects haven't provided anywhere near the level of transparency you have.

Probably worth a crowd supply update regarding the COVID-19 status at some point though.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew McNamara, Sabrosa

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2020, 07:32:12 am »
@exe, @mcdanlj, and all others, thanks for understanding and support. I'll keep you informed about progress.

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj, Sabrosa

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #7 update
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2020, 10:24:55 pm »
A slow week is behind us, and the main news it that supplier of AC/DC converter announced that goods should be ready for shipment about March, 20th. Therefore I cannot expect it here until end of March. TFT displays manufacturer sent us first 100 pcs and we should have them here in day or two.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj, Sabrosa

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2020, 08:03:01 am »
I think everyone here can understand that the current situation in China, and an increasingly number of other countries, will inevitably cause delays in the supply chain.
And I suspect that even without the Coronavirus, delays should always be expected. Anyone who has ever managed a project (or took part in one) should know that ;)

For stuff like that, I my opinion, it is one of the most important things to keep your "stakeholders" (I think I am exposed to too many buzzwords lately  :P) in the loop.
And as I have said earlier, you are doing a great job at that  :-+

The following users thanked this post: AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #8 update
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2020, 04:17:24 pm »
Progress from last week:
  • PCB panels arrived to the PCBA manufacturer and test batch should finally start tomorrow (because tomorrow never dies :phew:)
  • Wire harness is finished
  • Cardboard boxes that will be used for shipping are delivered
  • First 100 pcs of TFT displays arrived as announced
  • We are working toward closing the feature list of firmware v1.0 to have enough time for testing. We have some tough time recently to get reliable read and write operation of SDcard that become a vital part of the system as it is use as storage of user profiles, lists, data logs, etc. I seems that it now works as expected.
New estimated shipping date is moved to the May, 1st that will be announced shortly on the campaign official page.

The following users thanked this post: exe, gnavigator1007, s8548a, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj, Sabrosa, jan28

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2020, 08:47:42 pm »
Leave it until May the fourth - so the forth is with you. :-DD

With all the delays you're going to have to face - just keep us updated. Even so, I don't know how you are able to do all of this work with just the two of you.

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2020, 10:34:28 pm »
Huh, we are doing the best we can, but that is obviously not enough and everything still takes longer than we've had anticipated.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2020, 12:06:02 am »
Huh, we are doing the best we can, but that is obviously not enough and everything still takes longer than we've had anticipated.

Everything always does. You're still doing way better than any other crowd-funded project I've subscribed to, and they didn't have COVID-19 to deal with, so don't worry.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS, mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #9 update
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2020, 10:11:51 pm »
Progress from last week:
  • Enclosures are finished and on the way from Portugal to us
  • Ethernet patch cables arrived from China, and waiting for Customs clearance
  • Bare PCBs arrived today for BB3 Enclosure & Bare Boards pledge level
  • I received first pictures from assembly line (BP3C backplane), more pictures are announced for tomorrow, and test batch should be delivered next week

The following users thanked this post: AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #10 update
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2020, 05:27:48 pm »
Another week, another update (and I'm start to be more and more nervous):
  • Enclosures safely arrived from Portugal
  • Ethernet patch cable are also here
  • We started to expand possibility of MicroPython scripting, i.e. a first integration with EEZ Studio has been done and first results are presented here
  • Test batch of modules is delayed for unknown "difficulties", but I got promise that today basic modules (AUX-PS, MCU and BP3C) will depart (I believe that new measures due to virus crisis will not affect delivery)
Thanks for your understanding and support, keep safe!

The following users thanked this post: Rerouter, danielbriggs, exe, s8548a, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj, jan28

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2020, 08:29:26 am »
We have a strange situation currently in Zagreb, where half of EEZ team is currently reside (i.e. Martin and he is fine, I'm reporting from Zadar). This morning people were thrown out into the streets by powerful earthquake. Recommendations about social distancing were quickly forgotten, and it remains to be seen what the consequences of this contradictory situation will be.

Offline danielbriggs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2020, 08:38:53 am »
I have just seen it on the news; really terrible.
I hope Martin and everyone else in that area is ok and no one is hurt.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2020, 08:47:13 am »
Yes, Martin in fine, and project is not affected with this event. All the parts that have arrived so far and are needed to complete BB3 kits are with me in Zadar. Meanwell AC/DC modules are on the way but didn't land in Zagreb yet, and the same goes for the first part of the modules test batch.

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, AlanS, Andrew McNamara

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #11 update
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2020, 01:55:03 pm »
Progress from last week:
  • Yesterday arrived test batch of basic modules (AUX-PS, MCU and BP3C). Everything looks fine, and I gave manufacturer a green light to proceed with production
  • Test batch of power modules should be finalized today and send soon
  • Meanwell AC/DC converters arrived and after Customs clearance they'll be forwarded to me
  • Modifications of front and rear panel (moving Ethernet connector and Boot0 switch) looks fine.

The following users thanked this post: ddrl46, Rerouter, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2020, 07:59:26 am »
You know, seeing Dave's teardown of the new R&S supply, more specifically the network cable running through the box, made me think of the BB3. Seems they were facing similar issues  ;D

Looks great  :-+

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
BB3 fulfillment, week #12 update
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2020, 03:22:53 pm »
Progress from last week:
  • The rest of the TFT displays arrived, Customs clearance is finished and I'm expecting them in day or two.
  • DHL has been transferring Meanwell AC/DC modules from China for over a week now, but no package has reached me yet (23 boxes in total). Customs duties were paid in advance. I suppose that should happen in the coming days.
  • Although promised a week ago, the power modules from the test batch have not reached me yet. They were reportedly sent yesterday.
In summary, we lack "only" assembled modules that need to be individually tested, initially calibrated, packaged, and sent to Mouser for distribution to begin.

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, s8548a, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, mcdanlj

Online jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2020, 02:45:15 am »
Good luck!

I’m really impressed with how close to expected dates this is given the scale of disruption.

I hope the module testing goes well. Pro tip: sometimes it’s worn out pins on your test adapters.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2020, 07:24:05 am »
The situation seems to change from bad to worse: I just talked to DHL about updating the shipping offer to Mouser in the US. They told me they couldn't offer me anything because there were no flights to the US.  :-//

Online jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2020, 07:54:37 pm »
Dang. That sucks.

Sorry if you’ve explained before, but why are you shipping to Mouser?

There may be alternative shippers (or even shipping methods; you’ve probably got a good size consignment for sea freight).

While it would be nice to get my goodies, I certainly can wait a bit. So don’t eat up all your margin on special shipping on my behalf.

NB: if using a different shipper, check out their pickup / drop off offers and insurance. You don’t want them sitting in a USA port waiting for a domestic transfer to Mouser...

The following users thanked this post: AlanS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf