Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 152995 times)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #500 on: November 12, 2020, 10:23:54 am »
Small (but potentially annoying) profile bug:

If you have a profile set and decide to make that the boot profile, you drop in there and change the 'no' to a 'yes'. The settings are whatever that profile is set for. Press save and the settings are now whatever the current settings are, which are shown if you open the profile again.

I think that when you hit save, whatever is being shown as the settings values are what get saved. If that's out of step with the current setup, too bad - you save what you see.

I can see the problem: you start of just showing what the profile is, and then change to saving it anew - when do you update the settings display? I would suggest that another button - 'update from system' - is available to set the settings, and the save only saves what is displayed.

An alternative, and what I thought should happen before I found out how to drive it, is to allow the settings to be changed from within the profile. To me it's more natural to go in there and then set this, that, the other, save. Then use it. It's also safer if there is something connected to the outputs as you absent mindedly change things in order to save them in a new profile...

I have to admit that I am confused with this request, i.e. that I do not know how to interpret it. What would certainly not be easy to add is to edit the profile on that page, because the profile contains not only the output values but also all the other parameters of the module.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #501 on: November 12, 2020, 02:12:07 pm »
1) we already have "confirmation mode" option for encoder which guard you against accidental changes

Two problems with that:

1. It doesn't allow for 'twiddling' (although a fast way in and out of confirmation mode would probably be close to ideal).

2. It doesn't work :). If you do move the encoder during normal use then the field does indeed flash and not change the actual value, but there is no way to accept the change. Or, rather, I couldn't find a way - user button (which I prefer to remain on inhibit anyway) doesn't seem to have the option and touching the field exits with the original value.

[1 min later]
Ah! Ah-ha! Reading your other suggestion I've now found the encoder push button. Reason I didn't before is because it is very stiff and if you press it hard enough to engage it sticks on. I guess this isn't normal, but could it be caused by a misalignment of the front panel, or is is another poor build thing?

Anyway, that goes quite a way to fixing the issue, yes. Or will once it's sorted :)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #502 on: November 12, 2020, 02:15:35 pm »
I guess this isn't normal, but could it be caused by a misalignment of the front panel, or is is another poor build thing?

It isn't normal, if front panel is mounted properly encoder switch works fine.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #503 on: November 12, 2020, 02:18:34 pm »
I have to admit that I am confused with this request, i.e. that I do not know how to interpret it.

OK, well let me explain better how I got to it.

I'd set the default profile to 0 because the factory setting is 0V 0A, which is a drag to set up every time. But I didn't want to have my last setting used since I might output, say, 12V temporarily on a quick project, but tomorrow my 3V kit is plugged. Thus I have a profile that's set to 3V and wanted to set that to the boot profile. OK so far?

So, having messed about a bit and got the channel set to 5V, I have this brainwave about setting the default profile, go into the profile thing, open the "3V 3V" profile and there it is all set up as 3V, 3V. Tick the "make this the default" tickbox, save. Lovely jubbly.

So next boot everything is at 5V and the "3V 3V" profile is set to 5V.

The issue is that what was saved is not what was being shown on the display as the profile that would be saved.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #504 on: November 12, 2020, 02:37:47 pm »
Ok, I don't want to convince you that current implementation is optimal and that it should not be improved, but are you aware of option Force disabling of all outputs on power up?
It is right there as an assurance that no accident will happen at the next power up. I now understand what you need: that Profile 0 is displaying current values, not one that are saved. That shouldn't be a problem to change.

Also you can check the following scenario: let say that 3.3 V is saved in profile 0 that is selected as auto-recall. Set voltage to 12 V, turn it off (ungracefully, i.e. without using restart or shutdown option) and check what you'll get on the next power up: 3.3 or 12 V.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #505 on: November 12, 2020, 02:39:21 pm »
It isn't normal, if front panel is mounted properly encoder switch works fine.

A quick dismantle and rebuild paying special attention to the alignment fixed it, thanks :)

I had thought it might also fix the SDcard eject, but it didn't. Win some, lose some. But now the encoder is much less of a thing with confirmation mode enabled.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #506 on: November 12, 2020, 02:52:38 pm »
I don't want to convince you that current implementation is optimal

You could! If the problem is my perception then that could be a simple fix :)

are you aware of option Force disabling of all outputs on power up?

Yep, and that's enabled. But often one assumes things and if the norm is that everything is as it should be then one tends to not look too closely at things before hitting the on button.

let say that 3.3 V is saved in profile 0 that is selected as auto-recall. Set voltage to 12 V, turn it off (ungracefully, i.e. without using restart or shutdown option) and check what you'll get on the next power up: 3.3 or 12 V.

3.3V. Hmmm. So how does one set it to use whatever was set when turned off? Not that I want to do this right now, but at some point I am going to change my mind about things :)

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #507 on: November 12, 2020, 02:56:34 pm »
Had a crash. I went into profile, selected my "3V 3V" and hit recall to ensure the live settings match the displayed settings before saving (I was going to make this the default again). Dropped out to make sure the live settings were as expected, back into profile, hit recall.... pause... boot screen.

Tried it again and same thing happens, so seems like a pukka bug rather than some flaky one-off.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #508 on: November 12, 2020, 03:04:58 pm »
You want to say that something crashed? On what way? Now I realized that you're not talking about Profile 0 but something else since profile 0 does not offer "Recall" button.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #509 on: November 12, 2020, 03:15:17 pm »
It was profile 1, which I named "3V 3V" to remind me what it's set to.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #510 on: November 12, 2020, 03:23:48 pm »
OK, set up to run a video to show what's happening, and of  course it's not happening now! Hmmm. Really annoying.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #511 on: November 12, 2020, 03:39:30 pm »
Huh, I'm now also confused. I thought you were complaining about Profile 0, which is "default" i.e. all changes are saved to it, which may or may not be set at the next restart (depending on whether it is selected for Auto-recall or not).

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #512 on: November 12, 2020, 03:48:13 pm »
Ah! Two different things. I got a crash when going in and out of profile 1, which is currently my default profile and the subject of the stuff about save saving the current setttings rather than what's shown on the profile. (This is why I was using Recall, to make sure the settings were as displayed before saving).

The other thing is what profile 0 does (or doesn't do). I'm not sure I follow how to set profile 0, or rather how it gets set. Your quick experiment indicated that if the PSU is powered off ungravefully, profile 0 doesn't change. So my question there was in how to set things up so that whatever setting is active when the PSU is turned off, that's what it starts back up with.

I imagine you'll be quite relieved when everyone has got over the novelty of a new tool and figured out how it works :)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #513 on: November 12, 2020, 04:00:02 pm »
Ah! Two different things. I got a crash when going in and out of profile 1, which is currently my default profile and the subject of the stuff about save saving the current setttings rather than what's shown on the profile. (This is why I was using Recall, to make sure the settings were as displayed before saving).

Please be careful with words like crash because I immediately think that the firmware is blocked or even worse that you saw white smoke :)

The other thing is what profile 0 does (or doesn't do). I'm not sure I follow how to set profile 0, or rather how it gets set. Your quick experiment indicated that if the PSU is powered off ungracefully, profile 0 doesn't change. So my question there was in how to set things up so that whatever setting is active when the PSU is turned off, that's what it starts back up with.

Think of Profile 0 as of "autosave" feature in any software: it will save everything every 1 minute (60 seconds) or just before "graceful" shutdown or restart is performed.

I imagine you'll be quite relieved when everyone has got over the novelty of a new tool and figured out how it works :)

After that I'll looking for the next phase when new modules arrived :box:

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: November 12, 2020, 04:17:35 pm »
Please be careful with words like crash because...

OK. Not sure how to put it though. It restarted with the normal power-on tests. It may not have crashed but it was on a different road to the one the driver was travelling.

Think of Profile 0 as of "autosave" feature in any software: it will save everything every 1 minute

That's an excellent explanation, thanks!

Have to say this is really excellent kit. I am using it in anger at the moment (probably why these questions are popping up quickly) and the combination of this and EEZ Studio is great. Which reminds me, is there a way of saving the graph screen in EEZ Studio? I've resorted to a screencap just now to capture it. Not a biggie - a save probably wouldn't add anything but is one less util to have running.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #515 on: November 12, 2020, 05:14:11 pm »
Please be careful with words like crash because...

OK. Not sure how to put it though. It restarted with the normal power-on tests. It may not have crashed but it was on a different road to the one the driver was travelling.

There is a chance that something is happened and that watchdog initiate restart. Such event should be recorded in log file, something like this:

Which reminds me, is there a way of saving the graph screen in EEZ Studio? I've resorted to a screencap just now to capture it. Not a biggie - a save probably wouldn't add anything but is one less util to have running.

If you are asking about File save option it's below every image...

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #516 on: November 12, 2020, 05:47:57 pm »
Such event should be recorded in log file

Yep, it is:

Code: [Select]
2020-11-12 14:40:29 INFO Default profile changed to 0
2020-11-12 14:41:01 INFO Power up (v1.5)
2020-11-12 14:41:01 DEBUG POR/PDR reset flag
2020-11-12 14:41:01 DEBUG PIN reset flag
2020-11-12 14:41:01 DEBUG BOR reset flag
2020-11-12 14:41:04 INFO NTP refresh succeeded
2020-11-12 14:41:48 INFO Power up (v1.5)
2020-11-12 14:41:48 DEBUG POR/PDR reset flag
2020-11-12 14:41:48 DEBUG PIN reset flag
2020-11-12 14:41:48 DEBUG BOR reset flag
2020-11-12 14:41:49 INFO NTP refresh succeeded
2020-11-12 14:53:10 INFO Ch1 output on
2020-11-12 14:53:10 INFO Ch2 output off
2020-11-12 14:53:10 INFO Recall from profile 1
2020-11-12 14:53:38 INFO Power up (v1.5)
2020-11-12 14:53:38 DEBUG Independent watchdog reset flag
2020-11-12 14:53:38 DEBUG PIN reset flag
2020-11-12 14:53:38 ERROR Watchdog reset
2020-11-12 14:53:40 INFO NTP refresh succeeded
2020-11-12 14:55:29 INFO Ch1 output on
2020-11-12 14:55:29 INFO Ch2 output off
2020-11-12 14:55:29 INFO Recall from profile 1
2020-11-12 14:55:51 INFO Power up (v1.5)
2020-11-12 14:55:51 DEBUG Independent watchdog reset flag
2020-11-12 14:55:51 DEBUG PIN reset flag
2020-11-12 14:55:51 ERROR Watchdog reset
2020-11-12 14:55:53 INFO NTP refresh succeeded

Rather a lot of NTP refreshes. It is set to 720 minutes so shouldn't be happening every 2 mins or so. Speaking of which, I couldn't get it to sync to either the default server or 0.uk.poo.ntp.org (my usual source). Works fine to my server on the LAN, so I wondered if it were Internet access, but the gateway seems correct, DNS OK. Since it's working to my server I put off thinking about it any more :)

If you are asking about File save option it's below every image...

That doesn't save the chart as zoomed in, just the overview. I'm looking at currents of about 1-100mA so I get just a flat line on the saveable view.

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #517 on: November 12, 2020, 11:24:06 pm »
@dunkemhigh, @Andrew McNamara, the easiest way will be to add "Lock encoder" as new option for user switch. Going further with selection of each parameter currently displayed on the screen could make a whole GUI even more complicated and confusing.

How about a "lock current settings" button under the protections (shield) menu button (although that screen is already pretty busy, it's not as busy as the main one)? My concern is less about accidentally bumping the encoder, and more about accidentally changing the settings (however it is done) on the wrong channel (the settings-lock should be per channel).

Could the encoder button action be made configurable in the same way as the user button? i.e. long press brings up a button configuration menu?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #518 on: November 13, 2020, 04:48:35 am »
And... the acceleration is what's making this a problem for me. I have it set to 1,1 and am still slightly afraid to twist the knob! If I do it real slow the voltage creeps up about 5mV a time, so I speed up a little and suddenly it's jumped 1V or more.

My preference would be for no acceleration (I have mouse acceleration turned off in Windows too) so it's predictable. If it's not going fast enough it's easy to just type in a value and get a big jump that way.

As to step, I like the way my HP does it - you select the digit and that's the one that goes up and down (so that would be mv, 10mv, 100mv, etc). But experimenting a bit, I think it should use whatever the step is set to on the entry field. That is, if you go to change, say, voltage you get the keypad screen which has a step feature for swiping. That step should determine how much the encoder increments or decrements - it does on that screen, but I mean on the main system view screen.

Hmmm. Seems so obvious that maybe it does do this already, but if so I've failed to find how to make it work.

Duh! No sooner posted than I find the setting under the user button. Bit of a long winded way to get to it, though.

BTW. Love the mouse ability. I am using that nearly all the time now. Most mice nowadays have a scroll wheel, so why not have the duplicate the rotary encoder?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 05:14:33 am by dunkemhigh »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #519 on: November 13, 2020, 11:52:03 am »
Quote from: Me
If you have a profile set and decide to make that the boot profile, you drop in there and change the 'no' to a 'yes'. The settings are whatever that profile is set for. Press save and the settings are now whatever the current settings are, which are shown if you open the profile again.

I think that when you hit save, whatever is being shown as the settings values are what get saved. If that's out of step with the current setup, too bad - you save what you see.

Light dawns! It seemed obvious to me that to change the boot profile you go in change the 'this is the default' to yes, hit save to save it. But, in fact, you don't need to press save - it is sticky just by changing it.

That's what led to my issue - save just copies the current settings into the profile, wherease I assumed it saved whatever was on that page to... well, wherever the config is saved. Coming from a desktop GUI that's how they all work, so the expectation was that this does the same too. But the real function of save is essentially in the opposite direction.

Given that, I'm not sure 'save' is the right word to use there, although I can't offhand think of a better one.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #520 on: November 14, 2020, 04:08:14 pm »
Given that, I'm not sure 'save' is the right word to use there, although I can't offhand think of a better one.
Store?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #521 on: November 14, 2020, 10:04:41 pm »
'Get' would describe the action better, but I don't like it :). On a blank profile, the only options are 'Save' and 'Import'. There is nothing to save, but you can get the current settings.

Speaking of which, the 'Recall' should be 'Use', I think. Pressing that does use the setting you can see - you don't recall anything because it's already there.

'Import' and 'Export' are fine, though 'Import' is really 'Copy' and 'Export' is 'Save'. It's complicated by the action of getting a setup  also saving that to the SDcard, no doubt why that function is called save. But that's the implementation viewpoint, and the operators functional view is different.

Offline elekorsi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #522 on: November 15, 2020, 12:01:16 am »
She is having some field action

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #523 on: November 15, 2020, 08:18:03 am »
Great picture! Looking forward to see more field reports from you and others!  :-+

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #524 on: November 15, 2020, 08:19:40 am »
BTW. Love the mouse ability. I am using that nearly all the time now. Most mice nowadays have a scroll wheel, so why not have the duplicate the rotary encoder?

Unfortunately this will require deeper digging as it is not supported in HAL.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf