Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 151332 times)

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: NLnet donation
« Reply #575 on: February 17, 2021, 03:04:54 pm »
Breaking news! We have signed a MoU with NLnet on funding our project from the NGI0 PET fund. This is a great recognition for our efforts in developing the open source software and hardware T&M solution. I believe this will help us a lot on our path to self-sustainability.

https://nlnet.nl/project/EEZ-DIB/

Awesome!

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #576 on: February 17, 2021, 04:41:55 pm »
Seem to have a bit of trouble: upgraded to 1.6 and now there is no Ethernet. Needless to say, I didn't unplug the cable or change anything. Configuration looks OK, just says it's not connected. Tried to get EEZ Studio to connect but, of course, it couldn't see the PSU.

FWIW, I am not using DHCP but using a fixed address.

Edit: Strange! Just after that I did a power cycle and now it works. Hmmm
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:44:21 pm by dunkemhigh »

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #577 on: February 17, 2021, 05:31:36 pm »
OK, keep us informed since we made some changes on Ethernet (issue #134).

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #578 on: February 17, 2021, 06:52:39 pm »
I'll keep an eye on that, but I don't think this is the same issue.

BTW, EEZ studio said the firmware (before the update) was 1.5 (correct) and the latest version (incorrect). After the upgrade it correctly reports 1.6 and it is still the latest version.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #579 on: February 18, 2021, 01:11:31 pm »
I'll keep an eye on that, but I don't think this is the same issue.

BTW, EEZ studio said the firmware (before the update) was 1.5 (correct) and the latest version (incorrect). After the upgrade it correctly reports 1.6 and it is still the latest version.

It's a bug, reported now as #99.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #580 on: February 18, 2021, 04:11:19 pm »
 :-+

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #581 on: February 19, 2021, 03:07:26 pm »
Directly from the developer's desk: the two BB3's communicate with each other via UART by exchanging SCPI commands ... next step ... add MicroPython to the story

The following users thanked this post: AlanS

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #582 on: February 19, 2021, 04:36:06 pm »
Ah, that's how Skynet is originated.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #583 on: March 07, 2021, 06:05:49 pm »
We finally took the time to redesign and migrate the web site. The old site is now retired and everything has been redirected to the new www.envox.eu. We apologize in advance if any of the old links end up on a 404 page.

For the archive I leave a picture of the old home page:

... and the first version of the new home page:

The following users thanked this post: danielbriggs, AlanS

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #584 on: March 19, 2021, 07:01:39 am »
Are you remember Bolek&Lolek Enterprise ultimate PCBA quality? @IanJ took a video about it:

The following users thanked this post: Kean, exe, iainwhite

Offline Gridstop

• Contributor
« Reply #585 on: March 20, 2021, 05:38:16 pm »
So does anybody know what particular revisions would be in the kits mouser US has in stock? This is the model w/ just the two channels. Do these have the solder problems, do they have the newer psu or mcu boards, etc..etc..
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Crowd-Supply/CS-BB3-04?qs=hWgE7mdIu5Rw7pt95idVrA%3D%3D

Or would I be better off waiting for them to get the full 4 channel kits in stock? Would these be newer production w/o the mfg issues?
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Crowd-Supply/CS-BB3-01?qs=hWgE7mdIu5RzNZfzLT2B3g%3D%3D

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #586 on: March 20, 2021, 05:53:13 pm »
On Mouser stock is currently Bolek&Lolek production that is shown in Ian's video but also include first DCP405s from new batch made by another PCBA contractor (blue PCB). I've checked and repair all modules sent to Mouser, but some of them still had issues probably due to questionable soldering. New batch is delayed for almost two months due to shortage of components: Mean Well IRM AC/DC converters in first place. DCM module is particularly sensitive since it seems that LT3763 doesn't tolerate questionable thermal pad joint.

Offline Gridstop

• Contributor
« Reply #587 on: March 20, 2021, 09:48:09 pm »
Thanks. I might wait for the new full ones to get the dcm224. Looks like mouser claims at least to have ordered over 500 full kits, which is impressive.

v Well that sucks, I guess I shouldn't make assumptions about how mouser's stock system works.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:03:48 pm by Gridstop »

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #588 on: March 20, 2021, 09:55:25 pm »
Thanks. I might wait for the new full ones to get the dcm224. Looks like mouser claims at least to have ordered over 500 full kits, which is impressive.

Right, but unfortunately it's more like a glitch in the system, then anything even close to reality ... or such an inspiring purchase order has not yet reached me.

Offline Mike G

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #589 on: March 24, 2021, 01:37:08 pm »
Hi Prasimix
I really like your work and what you have achieved plus look forward to other modules in the future.
I was just about to hit the button to buy the two module unit from Mouser Europe, as they had them in stock, but then read your latest posts regarding possible soldering issues.
Although I am impatient to have one of these on my bench I have now ordered the three module, full, version from Mouser Europe and hope it will arrive eventually, they are showing 21 week lead time.
Please could you comment on which dual output board will be fitted in the next batch and any idea of when I may see one in Europe?
Thanks for all your effort on this fascinating project.
Mike

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #590 on: March 24, 2021, 01:53:42 pm »
Hi Mike, and thanks for kind words. New batch of DCM modules is already produced and packaged, but we cannot compete the order due to shortage of Mean Well IRM modules needed for AUX PS modules since order also includes BB3 kits. Today our PCBA contractor received fourth notice about delay. Crazy stuff! I do believe that everything will settle in a coming 2 or 3 weeks. Ok, last time Mouser/CS needed for some reason about a month for Custom clearance and I do believe that this time everything would happen faster.

Offline Mike G

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #591 on: March 26, 2021, 09:25:00 am »
Hi all
Newbie questions time
In EEZ Studio how do I connect to the BB3 simulator, I have been able to connect to DMM6500, MDO3000, Tabor WW1281 with no problem by ethernet but would like to try running scripts on the simulator, cannot see what I am doing wrong |O
Secondly, probably more tricky, when running lists in multiple time cannels on the browser simulator the timimgs drift out between channels, about 250mS drift per minute so the timing between channel changes.  Is this a function of the simulator or does this happen on the real physical machine?
Can't wait to receive my unit :-+

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #592 on: March 26, 2021, 09:34:45 am »
Ok, please note that is just simulator and that it doesn't cover all functionalities. MicroPython scripting is unfortunately one of them.

Regarding multiple lists, I can say that on the real BB3 it's very accurate (probably in microseconds range when talking about jitter) what is not the case with simulator.

EEZ Studio cannot establish connection with web simulator, you need executable version.

Offline Mike G

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #593 on: March 26, 2021, 11:03:44 am »
Thanks for the reassurance re the timing question.
Please forgive my ignorance, I am a hardware engineer so struggle with software issues :-//
In EEZ studio I have added BB3 simulator on the Workbench page and tried to connect,if I connect through ethernet it says "unit actively refused it", if I try through serial it responds with "timeout no response to IDN",
I am sure it is something silly but I am not sure what the next step is, sorry to take your time :-/O

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #594 on: March 26, 2021, 01:09:12 pm »
As I said you cannot use web simulator, but you need .exe version for installing locally to test connectivity with EEZ Studio. Such version is currently not available on EEZ website for download, and don't know if it is allowed to post .exe files here on forum, but feel free to join discord server when I can post it more freely.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #596 on: April 15, 2021, 07:49:54 am »
How often do you accidentally select the Lock display option on BB3? Do you think maybe we should add some hold delay to it?

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #597 on: April 15, 2021, 11:38:54 am »
How often do you accidentally select the Lock display option on BB3? Do you think maybe we should add some hold delay to it?

Quite often because this button is close to gauge button and settings button. Oh, and I don't have use-case for locksreen. So, I'd permanently disable it, if there was a setting for it :).

(Yes, it's me who asked on discord about recovering the password)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #598 on: April 15, 2021, 02:05:40 pm »
Don't worry, we'll do something, a new issue #180 added in GitHub.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #599 on: April 27, 2021, 07:16:43 pm »
This comment was published in the topic of the LISN, but I think it should be had here instead (deleted the old one).

Heck I've been out of the loop for a while. Glad to see another problem that were "squashed".

And that LISN design... Heck I want it so bad. I don't have any use for it, my electronics knowledge is basic enough that a product like this would just catch dust on my desk but the way as you design your equipment really vibes with my tastes.

The LISN that is your own custom design based in the @Jay_Diddy_B design, and the EEZ Bench Box 3, that unfortunately I can't get a reason to justify buying one (specially the financial reason - even more with the kid now), really are a beautiful industrial design.

They are tools yes and design of tools is not that important other than enough to be fully functional and intuitive to use, but still I can't stop oozing on them...

As I said before, the way as this crowdfunding was conducted should be a how to to most of the ones that don't go well. Problems everyone have, specially with suppliers and the extra issue of CoVID19 and all the limitations in production/shipping and personal limitations too. Although what this one differs from most of the ones who had problems was communication. Even if nothing were suppose to be added because there weren't any valuable updates, they were still communicated.

That means a lot for the buyer and makes him feel more comfortable while seeing the days go by without their "new toy". Congrats and I will be following your endeavours from now on. Let's see if until the end of the year I can spent some money and also support this product.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf