Author Topic: Environmental logger, PLC for the rest of us  (Read 7000 times)

Offline jkestnerTopic starter

Environmental logger, PLC for the rest of us
« on: October 17, 2023, 07:54:30 pm »
My company built Twine — a square green WiFi sensor block that was one of the first big tech Kickstarters back in 2011. We shipped Twine 12 years ago and are still supporting it.

Twine was the seed of a good idea that still doesn't exist. Arduino is like building your own car. Smart home devices are like leasing a compact sedan. A PLC is like a Mack truck. So we built Pickup, an environmental monitor/controller that works out of the box but has a modular architecture to fit your task.

It's a flexible little outdoor computer for growing, monitoring air quality, DIY science, etc. Plug in sensor cartridges or build your own; output analog signals, HTTP and MQTT to integrate with your software; and ready to drop anywhere. Yes, we like to tinker, but not to solve the same rote connectivity, power and deployment issues every time. This takes care of those, so you can focus on solving the interesting problems of your particular task.

Pickup has hit its goal on Kickstarter (our fourth!):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/supermechanical/pickup-is-a-sensor-power-tool

I know it's not for most EEs, but there's a lot of people who need something specific to their business without the industrial-strength controller's price. Feedback welcome.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: Environmental logger, PLC for the rest of us
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 03:52:33 pm »
Intriguing, as i'm looking for something exactly like this. I understand what you wrote on the kickstarter, but a rough estimate of shipping to italy/europe?

Offline jkestnerTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 06:30:10 pm »
Rough estimate right now would be €16-26, plus €18 in duties. Dang, sorry about that!

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 10:23:35 pm »
"$78,005 pledged of $10,000 goal" as of right now. 

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 09:05:44 am »
Rough estimate right now would be €16-26, plus €18 in duties. Dang, sorry about that!

I would estimate about 50€ in duties (circa 25% in actual duties + brokerage extortion fee + vat on shipping AND estortion fee  ::) ) but yeah, pretty sensible! i was fearing that shipping would be more in the 80-100 region.
Will consider making a pledge

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf