Author Topic: GestureR - Arduino-compatible Gesture Sensing Module  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Grabo_IdeasTopic starter

GestureR - Arduino-compatible Gesture Sensing Module
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:53:25 pm »
GestureR is an Arduino-compatible gesture sensing module that brings you to your DIY devices, with one of the latest technologies in smartphones!

GestureR will be the first gesture sensing shield you can find in the market. It is also very tiny, inexpensive and user-friendly!

Launch date - 28/2/2014

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grabo/318096116?token=7e35ca6a

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
Re: GestureR - Arduino-compatible Gesture Sensing Module
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:29:59 am »
Is that a soldering iron you are waving over the sensor? Does the soldering iron have to be hot in order to track that good? Just pointing out the obvious. I don't think most people want to warm up their soldering iron but rather use their hands. Maybe you could also demonstrate it with something all people have with them like a hand? I don't mean to be rude or anything, just pointing out how it looks to me.

Also 10cm maximum distance falls into almost same category as capacitive sensing. Maybe you could point out and demonstrate how this is actually much better and more useful than capacitive sensing. Example for some applications where capacitive sensing is just not going to work, like environments with high electromagnetic interference or something
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:35:10 am by Legit-Design »

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:47:24 am »
Thanks for your suggestion.
Yes, the video is showing an off-power soldering iron waving over the sensor. For this sensor, heat is not needed to have good tracking. We use soldering iron in the video because we want to show that even a very thin soldering iron can work with the sensor. Of course, human hand can even have better performance. We would later on have more demonstration by hand.

Although the maximum sensing distance is about 10cm, which may be similar to capacitive sensing, this sensor would not be affected by any electromagnetic interference. One great advantage is that you can perfectly use the sensor even if you are wearing gloves while capacitive sensing cannot. GestureR can track any object that is conductive or non-conductive.

Moreover to 2D tracking of object, GestureR can also track the depth of object smoothly. Finally, GestureR can measure the light intensity.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:57:51 am »
Moreover to 2D tracking of object, GestureR can also track the depth of object smoothly.

If it can track depth AND location of a object isn't that more like a 3D tracking? Or how will it track if object changes in distance and location at the same time. Since it's arduino compatible maybe demonstrate on a video? Show values changing through serial port or even map the values on some fancy data visualization program, I'm sure there are already tons out there for arduino even with examples. 

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:44:34 pm »

If it can track depth AND location of a object isn't that more like a 3D tracking? Or how will it track if object changes in distance and location at the same time. Since it's arduino compatible maybe demonstrate on a video? Show values changing through serial port or even map the values on some fancy data visualization program, I'm sure there are already tons out there for arduino even with examples.

We have now worked on direction tracking. You may try to use the relative location raw data from sensor to work on location tracking later on. We havn't work out this function yet and cannot determine now.

Support us and get a GestureR.  ^-^

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 06:37:57 pm »
We have just created a new section in project page which is talking about the technical specification of the gesture sensor.

Hope this can help you to know more about our project

Thanks for your support

Grabo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grabo/gesturer-arduino-compatible-gesture-sensing-module

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 03:46:34 pm »
We are greatly to announce that we reach the goal at about two weeks. Thanks for every backer’s support.

After reaching the original goal, we are now moving forward to our first stretch goal at USD15,000 which give you opportunity to upgrade Gesture Shield to ULTRA version for free. The ULTRA version would replace the parallel I/O control of LEDs to become LED Driver.

If you feel GertureR is fantastic, don’t hesitate to share with your friends.

Get GestureR and enjoy the interaction of gesture sensing with Arduino.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grabo/gesturer-arduino-compatible-gesture-sensing-module
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:48:36 pm by Grabo_Ideas »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:43:36 pm »
who makes the sensor chip ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf