Author Topic: GSM enabled door lock  (Read 8258 times)

Offline KRISHNA274Topic starter

GSM enabled door lock
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:37:32 am »
 Hello everyone

I am planning to launch gsm enabled door lock with cool features on kickstarter...
I would like to have all your feedback..

thanks

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: GSM enabled door lock
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:41:33 am »
.... with cool features on kickstarter...

I would like to have all your feedback..

Here your 1st feedback ... not enough info and details on the cool features.  :palm:

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 04:48:31 am »
Come back when you can provide a link to your Kickstarter project.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:02:01 am »
Hi,

I have already successfully tested GSM module and I wanted to come up with something really useful. So thought of having USB key (Normal USB) to unlock your door instead of keys.

I thought of sharing this idea with other electronic enthusiasts so that I would get better a better feed back and work towards proper model.
I am planning to go for Crowdfunding through KICKSTARTER

FEATURES:

Remotely open the door from anywhere using your mobile phone (SMS/CALL)

USB Key - USB device to unlcok your door/provide access too your guests,relatives or friends

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:04:02 am »
So you don't actually have a design yet? Sounds like you have a lot more work to do.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:34:20 am »
Hi,

Here is the preview link to our Kickstarter,
We are working on some changes

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonix/641521086?token=2fbb40f6

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:44 am »
"NORMALLY" people post their kickstarter page that already built and have a "working" prototype in hand, not just an idea, since they're cheap.

Show us something real, not just idea, promise or words. A real pictures of working prototype, then if its interesting enough, hopefully you will get the "MONEY".

Waiting for people to give you suggestions, more ideas and then expecting you will get the fund that way is too .... <don't know what to say without being sarcasm> ...  :palm:

Offline sachleen

• Contributor
    • My Site
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:51:44 am »
Just watched your video. First slide "Do u want to let your guest..." was it too much effort to spell out "you"? That aside, I didn't like having the video make me just read text. If I wanted to read, I could read the description below the video. :-//

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 06:01:48 am »
Hi Sachleen,

since this my first project, my video making skills where not great.
But thanks a lot for taking your time and effort in viewing the projects so keenly.

I am making changes to the video and using text to speech convertor so you can have description as well as voice to read the description. i will post the final video and post it here.

Apart from that, I would be happy to get another feedback regarding the project and idea

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 06:03:59 am »
Hi Bravo

Well, The page shows working prototype.
But i decided to go for USB feature for which the campaign is for.
So i don't get the point to show complete working model since the cost in designing the casing to host USB and other components in high.
So only i designed the GSM module using relay ( as shown in picture) which could open the door through your mobile phone.

I guess through kickstarter, you can tell your idea and a detailed plan on how you are going to take the project .
With initial prototype being ready, i think it is just USB feature to be included.

As you said i am  waiting for other people response.

And my request would be you should always try not be so sarcastic . With the amount of experience you have got try to guide persons and say your feedback and treat them positively rather being like this. It is just my opinion. It would motivate if you are being source of inspiration rather than this. Anyways I will take this positively and work on what you have said

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:19 am »
And what is new compared to http://www.getdoorbot.com/ ?
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 06:25:44 am »
The added feature are :

- USB Unlocking instead of keys
- Access can be added or revoked any time through USB
- You can also provide time controlled access to your friends and relatives
- Added to this, you can register your family members mobile so that they can have access
- Can be used as Intercom to speak to person inside house
- Even if you lose your mobile, you can revoke the access instantly from another phone through Master PIN

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 06:41:21 am »
Forgot to mention

This is a door lock itself unlike doorbot you don't want another device to unlock your door.
this is one complete package to control you door and we have tried our best to make it fairly cheap ..

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 06:47:29 am »
So people will have to keep their door topped up with credit?  :-DD
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 06:56:25 am »
I guess it explains you clearly. I don't understand you are asking it as a doubt or something else  :-//
Topping up the sim card will not take all your income i guess :)

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 07:14:33 am »
I guess it explains you clearly. I don't understand you are asking it as a doubt or something else  :-//
Topping up the sim card will not take all your income i guess :)
na, I just find it funny having to top-up a door with credit
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 07:25:30 am »
I think your problem is that you think by just throwing some technology together you have struck gold. I think you haven't. And you attitude is a problem. No, the word doesn't owe you anything for this "bright" idea. Because it isn't that bright. At best it it a technology study. When GSM was new it was very popular among students here to do projects remote controlling something via GSM. It has worn off in recent years. I see nothing more than yet another technology study.

Some things you apparently haven't thought through:

The lifetime of a USB stick connector and matching socket at your lock is horrible, compared to the lifetime of a conventional key.

Door locks, door peepholes etc. are build to electrical and mechanical standards. Different standards, depending where you are and what the door is for. Which standards do you adhere to? Did it even occur to you that door locks around the world are different?

How is your PCB with antenna supposed to fit into a door (yes, most modern doors have their electronics inside the door) or at the door? In fact I don't see that you have thought through the whole mechanical side of things.

And what happens when the power or the network fails?

And I don't think you have thought through the whole electrical interoperation, e.g. with existing intercom systems, existing electrical bolts, existing electronic peepholes and cameras, existing electrical doorbells. Just a PCB and some three letter buzzwords like GSM and USB aren't enough.

I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 07:41:05 am »
..... In fact I don't see that you have thought through the whole mechanical side of things.
This, is what I've been waiting for, apparently the OP only interested in the green part GSM Enabled Door Lock, while ignoring the red part:palm:

That board is not a prototype, only a mcu + gsm module + some relays, any "kid-duino" can build that with just some gsm shield + relays shield maybe in days or even hours for the same functionalities you've mentioned, or even more.  >:D

So ... what is the real value for the customer ? Are you seriously expecting your customers to install and have this at their door and be happy with it ?  :-DD

Again, idea is cheap, sometimes it worth just a few inhalations of an air, nothing more.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:52:34 am by BravoV »

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 10:07:50 am »
user itdontgo on here already has this product...

http://www.adventcontrols.co.uk/gsm-door-entry.html

Offline itdontgo

• Regular Contributor
    • IoT Manufacturer
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 10:55:01 am »
I'd like to see that on Kickstarter.  There is a lot of criticism mainly because the OP is not targeting the right people.  When people ask me what I do I hesitate as I always know they're not going to get it unless they have managed a communal area like a car park where that project makes sense.  He's asking the wrong people on the EEVblog so he's going to get a negative reaction to something that to a different group of people makes sense.  Unfortunately for him (the OP) this isn't a new idea and has been done by many people (including me) which means there is no premium price to be charged anymore plus customers now expect all the features as standard.  He'll be playing catch-up with features, reliability and cost for years. 

You might get a head start using kickstarter though (which is what interests me) as the people on there will not be the regular buyers of these and will have lower expectations.  Obviously my regular customers wouldn't buy them but you're not targetting them on Kickstarter.

Offline itdontgo

• Regular Contributor
    • IoT Manufacturer
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 11:05:20 am »
Of course the other issue is I haven't got a clue what this U-lock stuff and USB key is all about.  You might be able to figure it out if you study it but I could not be bothered trying to get my head around it.  Marketing is all about quickly getting you point across in simple language.  If you make something complicated no one's going to buy it.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 12:43:23 pm »
i think a lot of the comments here can be addressed, most electromechanical door locks are just a lock keep that releases so work with standard door locks and are used in countless door entry systems throughout the world so these issues have already been addressed. Under power/system fail you just use your normal key.

i dont see the point of the usb 'key' though it has no additional benefit over using the normal mechanical key

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 01:54:33 pm »
i think a lot of the comments here can be addressed, most electromechanical door locks are just a lock keep that releases so work with standard door locks and are used in countless door entry systems throughout the world so these issues have already been addressed. Under power/system fail you just use your normal key.

i dont see the point of the usb 'key' though it has no additional benefit over using the normal mechanical key

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Almost every building I've worked in used those fail closed electromechanical door locks with proxy cards readers connected to a central alarm system, and well, they work perfectly with hundreds of entry/exits per day for years on end.  There's little point re-inventing the lock part of it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf