Author Topic: Help Start a Small Electronics Business  (Read 3371 times)

Offline vegemonsterTopic starter

Help Start a Small Electronics Business
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:03:21 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm starting a small campaign, so I can purchase test and measurement equipment for an electronics lab.

Since March and to no avail, I've been looking for work as an Electronics Engineer in Canada while living with my in-laws. To combat what appears to be perpetual unemployment in the face of a global economic catastrophe, and to help my local community grow from a technical standpoint. I've decided to start a small out of the basement sort of business.

However, there's no way my immediate family can front the cost required to begin an electronics business, and investors do not give money to people with nothing but good ideas. Banks will lend money with sufficient collateral, but we don't have enough to take that risk at the moment.

Without getting into all the details, I'm going to need $5,000 dollars to purchase the basic equipment required to start working. Here's the link to my gofundme gf.me/u/ymr545.

I deeply appreciate any help that you can offer and given the success of this campaign, I will ensure much of my income will go back into supporting other campaigns in the future.

Thank you and stay safe during these hard times!

-Adam

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Help Start a Small Electronics Business
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:48:11 pm »
What do you need ? a soldering iron , a multimeter, a scope and a power supply. That doesn't look like 5K ... Get on ebay , prod around and you may get the basics for less than 1k$ ..
Even then . what will you design ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline vegemonsterTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 12:07:26 am »
I'm interested in designing a better static discharge monitoring system.

You are right that I may be able to get the absolute basics for a hobbyist lab under $1K, but the design I'm working must be sensitive somewhere in the 1-15 GHz range.

Admittedly, I'm only speculating that $5000 is required based on the fact that oscilloscope cost goes way up as you try to capture higher frequencies. I'll need to design a custom antenna and analog front-end circuit for the detector.

Here's a list of what is required at a minimum:
- Personal computer with enough horsepower to run simulations.
- Simulation and design software.
- Digital oscilloscope with at least 1GHz BW
- DC voltage power supply
- Digital Multimeter with microamps range
- Numerous Prototyping materials/components
- Soldering station and soldering materials
- Work bench and storage

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 01:04:34 am »
There's very little to go on and that may turn people off. It may help to work on something and show the results. Showcase some skill and passion. If you can show something being worked on things become a lot more tangible and a $5 JLPCB order, $30 Farnell order and some basic supplies should be more than doable. That puts it more in the helping someone out territory and makes it less of a matter of blind faith.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 06:31:32 am »
Good luck with working around the problems with recession/depression.

Mr. Scram gives good advice.

I don't see why you need 15GHz, and it is unlikely that a beginner will have the skills to work at those frequencies.

Try using the equipment at http://protospace.ca/the-space/#facilities

See the aphorism in my .sig
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 06:34:52 am »
@op what were you doing before now ? Are you just fresh from a Uni ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 10:59:08 pm »
It sounds like you are designing something like this? https://www.globalindustrial.ca/g/tools/reel-hose/static-discharge-cable-reels/portable-static-monitoring-system-reel-124458
Thats great but, if its a regulatory/safety thing, I can't see a large company purchasing from a non-established brand. But maybe you want to sell to an investor, etc. no idea.

Anyway, personally I would just apply to whatever job you can find with some sort of relation to electronics, then go from there. Once you have a job its a lot easier to find more.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 02:37:54 pm »
I'm interested in designing a better static discharge monitoring system.

You are right that I may be able to get the absolute basics for a hobbyist lab under $1K, but the design I'm working must be sensitive somewhere in the 1-15 GHz range.

Admittedly, I'm only speculating that $5000 is required based on the fact that oscilloscope cost goes way up as you try to capture higher frequencies. I'll need to design a custom antenna and analog front-end circuit for the detector.

Here's a list of what is required at a minimum:
- Personal computer with enough horsepower to run simulations. ' used zbook 17 : 500$
- Simulation and design software.
- Digital oscilloscope with at least 1GHz BW
- DC voltage power supply  ' 100$
- Digital Multimeter with microamps range ' they all have that eevblog meter and ucurrent interface.
- Numerous Prototyping materials/components
- Soldering station and soldering materials  ' used weller : 150$
- Work bench and storage ' Ikea Jerker on craigslist : 50..100$

your big ticket is the scope. but, if you are going to work in 15GHz band a scope is useless. you need a spectrum analyser.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 03:00:15 pm »
- Soldering station and soldering materials  ' used weller : 150$
- Work bench and storage ' Ikea Jerker on craigslist : 50..100$
my favourite soldering station is $10 always even until now.. my bench is still my home made < $50 pure wood. that made me looks much poorer. if we have to go back to stone age, i'll sell burger and half of the profit i'll keep to buy T&M equipments, ymmv...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 03:01:31 pm »
I don't find it encouraging OP hasn't checked back since making his post. I'll refer back to my previous post. Making a good impression and enthusiasm seem an important part of getting people on board.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 03:08:32 pm »
my favourite soldering station is $10 always even until now.. my bench is still my home made < $50 pure wood. that made me looks much poorer. if we have to go back to stone age, i'll sell burger and half of the profit i'll keep to buy T&M equipments, ymmv...
I don't know what wood costs over there but here even the cheap stuff will set you back considerably more than that. If you look for deals desks can usually be had for cheap. People regularly need to get rid of them quickly as transport and storage can be cumbersome. I see them go for next to nothing.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 03:17:33 pm »
I don't know what wood costs over there but here even the cheap stuff will set you back considerably more than that.
here 2" x 2" x 10' is about $6, maybe i'll need 2-4pcs. 9mm 4' x 8' plywood here is also about that price maybe $10 at most i havent check lately. if fully planned and polished and super straight wood that will be more expensive, buying a wood planner may save the cost in the long run, and getting from factory who processed the wood right out of the jungle may help with the price too (if nearby your place) not 2nd 3rd 4th party who will accumulate profit ie much higher price. ymmv.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:35:36 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 03:19:07 pm »
Interesting, started the campaign, come on here first post is asking for donations on the same day.
No surprise it's had no takers, if I got funded for every business idea I had i'd probably have a lot of failed startups!
No plan, no target audience, no real business, just a wish and wanting funding for their hobby by the looks of things.

Well, good luck but I think you will be disappointed (if they ever come back to read it that is).

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 03:27:16 pm »
here 2" x 2" x 10' is about $6, maybe i'll need 2-4pcs. 9mm 4' x 8' plywood here is also about that price maybe $10 at most i havent check lately. if fully planned and polished and super straight wood that will be more expensive, buying a wood planner may save the cost in the long run, and getting from factory who processed the wood right out of the jungle may help with the price too (if nearby your place) not 2nd 3rd 4th party who will accumulate profit ie much higher price. ymmv.
Companies which get wood right out of the jungle are rather scarce in large parts of the world. I'll let you figure out why.  :P
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:50:00 pm by Mr. Scram »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 03:36:56 pm »
not sure your location is so i only can assume... https://www.sawmilldatabase.com/country_companies.php?id=11 but getting from them directly can be harder as their intended customers are resellers (hardware stores) but usually hardware stores will get the supply directly from them, so its not so bad 2nd level party. i got my supply from these stores or resellers.

btw i like how the wood over there looks like, much polished and straighter and much easier to work with, the wood over here mostly is as hard as a rock when i nail them they split into 2 :palm:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 03:53:35 pm »
not sure your location is so i only can assume... https://www.sawmilldatabase.com/country_companies.php?id=11 but getting from them directly can be harder as their intended customers are resellers (hardware stores) but usually hardware stores will get the supply directly from them, so its not so bad 2nd level party. i got my supply from these stores or resellers.

btw i like how the wood over there looks like, much polished and straighter and much easier to work with, the wood over here mostly is as hard as a rock when i nail them they split into 2 :palm:
The wood pictured is cheap stuff. It's from fast growing trees and consequently very soft. It's less durable than harder wood types and often quite coarsely sawn. Because it's hardly worth the effort it's often dried badly, causing it to warp later on. It's serviceable for a cheap desk but nothing you want to put a lot of effort into. It'll also likely set you back considerably more than $50 no matter where you buy it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:56:44 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 04:06:24 pm »
The gofundme says that he's here in Calgary.

If the OP ever comes back and would like to PM me, perhaps we could chat more on the phone or in person about his skill-set, I could quite likely put him to work on some projects if he's really looking for some work and has reasonable abilities...

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 04:07:02 pm »
Why would one need a GHz scope and go to 15GHz  to deal with static? Some magic Wo-wo involved? And how exactly the *local community* would benefit from someone monitoring static discharge.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 04:08:28 pm »
Why would one need a GHz scope and go to 15GHz  to deal with static? Some magic Wo-wo involved? And how exactly the *local community* would benefit from someone monitoring static discharge.

Yeah, exactly...  Not sure on any of that.  :)

Adam, if you do read this, feel free to PM me here so we can chat.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 12:24:40 am »
i have worked for myself for 3 years now in electronics/software.
the trick is to design something unusual where there is little competition.
my only output is to ebay where you have to compete with chinese offerings for peanuts.
i stick to sub assemblies which dont need separate approvals which is very costly.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 01:00:24 am »
I also think that 5k is a bit much, with a bit of creativity, you can even get very decent/good equipment for a total of $1000-$1500
That amount WILL give you a lot more than "just" basics.
Recently I build a desk myself, 3.3 meter/11 foot long made out of pine and MDF, mounted to the wall.
The top is a simple layer of laminate flooring. Total was less than $100.
Rock solid, I can easily stand and jump on it.

Only for the oscilloscope you have to be very creative and patience.
I also don't really understand why you need such an high bandwidth, but for most purposes a 100Mhz is quite enough (free up-gradable for more) is around $250-300

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 01:05:55 am »
Only for the oscilloscope you have to be very creative and patience.
yes. 1GHz used lecroy can be had for like $1K, less if you patience. the 6GHz version is $4K currently in ebay, $2K if you can beg really hard, $1K if you are super lucky. but then there's GHz probes ::) maybe you'll have to be patience to wait for me for that ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf