Author Topic: I2C Encoder V2 ALIVE on Kickstarter!  (Read 13625 times)

Offline AtikaTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: I2C Encoder V2 ALIVE on Kickstarter!
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 09:08:52 pm »
Check the datasheet: https://github.com/Fattoresaimon/I2CEncoderV2/blob/master/EncoderI2CV2_v1.0.pdf

i still want the ability to generate an interrupt on every click ( even if no wraparound occurs. )

Yes there is!
There are the bits IRINC and IRDEC from the register 0x04. They are setted at every time the CVAL register change value, that means at every click.
You have also the information about direction.

can you give me an example on how to read the 4th i2c register ?

For example, if you check the chapter 2.4.1 of the datasheet, there is the Counter Value register map.
The 4th byte has the address 0x07, the 3th has the address 0x08, and so on.
And of course you can read or write those registers.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 03:23:12 pm »
Check the datasheet: https://github.com/Fattoresaimon/I2CEncoderV2/blob/master/EncoderI2CV2_v1.0.pdf

i still want the ability to generate an interrupt on every click ( even if no wraparound occurs. )

Yes there is!
There are the bits IRINC and IRDEC from the register 0x04. They are setted at every time the CVAL register change value, that means at every click.
You have also the information about direction.

That only happens on CHANGE. I also want interrupt capability if the rotary encoder is turned WITHOUT change.

Let's say the encoder is set up to travel between CMAX and CMIN.
The interrupt only happens as long as there is change. What if i am at CMAX and i turn to increment ? CVAL does not change.
so i would use bit 6 of 0x04 to do an interrupt_on_turn. doesn't matter if we hit the limit or not.

I looked at the read code in your arduino driver. it is very heavy on bus transactions i want to slimline that. i have many many devices on the i2c bus and want to limit the amount of data streaming.

Will the sourcecode be published for this thing ? then i can add the functions myself.

Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 07:18:40 pm »

Let's say the encoder is set up to travel between CMAX and CMIN.
The interrupt only happens as long as there is change. What if i am at CMAX and i turn to increment ? CVAL does not change.
so i would use bit 6 of 0x04 to do an interrupt_on_turn. doesn't matter if we hit the limit or not.

It'is not correct, in this case even if CVAL does not change the interrupt is still generated. Thanks, i will make more clear in the datasheet.

I looked at the read code in your arduino driver. it is very heavy on bus transactions i want to slimline that. i have many many devices on the i2c bus and want to limit the amount of data streaming.

For reading the CVAL i have made 3 functions where it is possible to read 8 bit, 16bit or 32 bit of data. You don't need to read all of the 4 byte.

Will the sourcecode be published for this thing ? then i can add the functions myself.

Yes i will release the FW at the end of the campaign. If you want you can have a look on the FW of the first version, they are similar

Offline larsdenmark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 10:54:45 am »
How about knobs? Will I need transparent knobs for the RGB encoders in order to see the light?

If so, are there any you can recommend?

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 01:04:33 pm »
How about knobs? Will I need transparent knobs for the RGB encoders in order to see the light?

If so, are there any you can recommend?

We are working to find a nice knob to add ;D. We will add a stretch goal to reach in order to give free knobs to the backers who got the RGB Encoder from our kickstarter campaign.

Anyway you don't need the knob to see the light, it is the shaft that became illuminate and this is part of the RGB encoder.

The following users thanked this post: larsdenmark

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 04:35:19 pm »
Perhaps worse case is one drills a nice 1/4" hole through the middle of a normal knob and push on until the shaft is flush with the top. Acually, done well that could look quite nice :)

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 04:43:49 pm »
Perhaps worse case is one drills a nice 1/4" hole through the middle of a normal knob and push on until the shaft is flush with the top. Acually, done well that could look quite nice :)

Nice idea  :-+ i will think about it  ::)

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 09:17:19 am »
We have made a small improvement on the HW part.
By connecting the address jumpers in a matrix way, i got an extra GPIO and i have used as GP3 instead of using the RED color of the RGB Encoder.
In this way, even with the RGB encoder and the normal rotary encoder it is possible to use all of the 3 GP pins.

We are also working to find a suitable transparent knob for the RGB Encoder.
Most probably we will add a stretch goal to give to the baker a free knob.  :-+

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 11:40:46 am »
By connecting the address jumpers in a matrix way, i got an extra GPIO and i have used as GP3 instead of using the RED color of the RGB Encoder.
Isn't this arrangement going to cause problems? You need diodes to stop it all interfering with each other. If you join A0, A4 and A1 then the PIC will also think A5 is shorted.

The following users thanked this post: Atika

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 12:06:47 pm »
Isn't this arrangement going to cause problems? You need diodes to stop it all interfering with each other. If you join A0, A4 and A1 then the PIC will also think A5 is shorted.

Uh you are right! what a stupid mistake :palm:
Seems it is not possible to do without adding external components.
Thanks a lot

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 07:17:18 pm »
TRY THIS
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:19 pm »
Nice idea!
But like this i'm using 8 GPIO for reading 7 jumpers, and i don't have to much space on the board for extra components.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 07:50:53 pm »
the two diodes are size of an 0402.

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2018, 07:17:14 am »
Ohh.. Dave received our package to his mailbag! :scared: Hoping a review from him  :-+
https://twitter.com/eevblog/status/1017949724882583552

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19:47 am »
We have added a stretch goal to our campaign.

If we reach 10000€, we will add for FREE transparent knobs to the RGB Encoders to everyone.

Check out the update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1351830006/i2c-encoder-v2/posts/2234400

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
Hmm, how have I missed this thread previously?? This is just what I need in my parts bin for various projects...

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 12:10:31 pm »
Will the transparent knob still have the white index mark? I have found it difficult to find nice knobs without useless indexing marks for use on rotary encoders.

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 12:17:42 pm »
Here we are with another Update!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1351830006/i2c-encoder-v2/posts/2241124

Will the transparent knob still have the white index mark? I have found it difficult to find nice knobs without useless indexing marks for use on rotary encoders.
I have asked about that, and i'm waiting for the answer. Most probably they can't remove without extra tooling cost.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 07:08:20 pm by Atika »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2018, 01:06:43 pm »
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10597
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/clear-knob

Also these knobs have the indicator line. It's made by the company TOP-UP.
About the knob that i have choosen, they will make with the indicator line sinked in the plastic but not painted.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2018, 07:35:53 am »
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10597
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/clear-knob
Yes, those knobs are OK, and I've been using them.  But I don't think they are ideal especially if you want to have several encoders close together on a panel.  And I don't like the way the light appears.
I suggested this other skirted style to Simone as they are popular in audio panels, and I think it was also the style he prefered.  You can obviously still get various alternatives if you want something bigger.

The other thing I don't like abouth the transparent knobs is that they don't diffuse the light source.  For a single encoder, I like a larger diameter.  I just got some of these, and they work pretty well although they are not that bright.  I they look great in lower lighting conditions.  The pointer is a notch unfortunately, so can't be painted over - but it is pretty tiny.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-Translucent-knob-Middle-transparent-25-15MM-encoder-potentiometer-cap-with-half-axis-with-flower-core/32874421565.html

You can also use any knob with a white insert, but again they will be reasonably dim.  Photo attached showing some examples of the three.  All are running off 5V through 120 ohm resistors, so not identical currents for each colour (red is brightest).

Simone has sent me a few samples of the new boards, and the latest firmware, for testing/review. The PCBs look great - quite a bit smaller than his earlier design.  I am hoping that MickMake or I can get a short review video up before the campaign ends, but we are both swamped with work this week.  Dave also has some... but he may also be a bit short on time to get another mailbag video out before the campaign ends.

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2018, 06:21:03 pm »
Thanks Kean for your tests with knobs. With the knobs RGB Encoder looks cool!  :-+

Deadline is approaching. First of all, thanks to everyone who has been helping us to make this project alive successfully!
Today we bought the components for this project!

We found that the PIC16F18344 is not available on Microchip until October.
But we bought the PIC16F18345, it has more RAM and flash memory.

Hopefully we will reach the stretch goal in time for giving the free knob :)

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 07:28:40 pm »
Looks like the target has now been reached :-)

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 07:34:02 pm »
Looks like the target has now been reached :-)

Mmmm.... not yet, 50€ is missing  :-DD

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2018, 02:10:26 pm »
We didn't have time to do a proper review, but Mick and I were able to include a quick snippet of the I2C encoder in a video this week

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf