Author Topic: If you marry the Hovering Delorean with a turntable...  (Read 29207 times)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Re: If you marry the Hovering Delorean with a turntable...
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 05:36:08 pm »

Looks cool though, if I were rich I'd buy three.

You might have to, because if what you are saying is correct, the average user may destroy one fairly quickly as it is too fidgety.  :-DD If you accidentally have the platform lose balance, off it will fly or crash down hard on the magnets, risking both your vinyl and your stylus.

Sure it looks cool until your recordings get destroyed. In that case, just have a sacrificial record on infinite loop and crap stylus and play the recording off an iPod hidden behind it ... your guests will be impressed by the visuals but will never know.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:38:12 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 01:49:54 am »
Sure it looks cool until your recordings get destroyed. In that case, just have a sacrificial record on infinite loop and crap stylus and play the recording off an iPod hidden behind it ... your guests will be impressed by the visuals but will never know.

I wonder if they are reading these posts because if they cannot get it working they could do as you say.  They could offer a refund or include an iPod.  Really good idea.  :-+
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 04:05:09 am »

I wonder if they are reading these posts because if they cannot get it working they could do as you say.  They could offer a refund or include an iPod.  Really good idea.  :-+

This would never work. Audiophools would immediately hear the difference between a record and the obselete iPod and banish you from the audiophool community. :-DD
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2016, 12:28:54 am »
If they record a time-signal in the sacrificial vinyl, it can be used to control the MP3 playback position and speed, and they can add static pops as well, simulating the playback more convincingly.  :-DD
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 04:53:00 pm »
If they record a time-signal in the sacrificial vinyl, it can be used to control the MP3 playback position and speed, and they can add static pops as well, simulating the playback more convincingly.  :-DD

Completely the opposite, high end phonographs have very little hiss. There are even compressed disc formats and stuff that are used for high end records (see techmoan's channel). It's like comparing the shitty little DAC in the stupid iphone lightning port earphones to a Dolby Digital surround system.

Which brings us to the point, that we haven't actually seen what's inside. For all we know it could be full of crap. :-//
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2016, 05:02:41 pm »
Right... so aside from looking "cool", do we know for a fact that this "levitating" design actually improves the sound quality at all? Is it supposed to dampen the vinyl surface/stylus from external vibrations coming from the floor/platform it is sitting on, but what about the platform actually moving now because of air vibrations? What about the magnetic fields surrounding the device? What about any slight wobble? Is the fact that it is levitating really doing *anything better* other than the "wow" factor, or could it be actually making it more susceptible to numerous other artifacts?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2016, 05:10:47 pm »
Right... so aside from looking "cool", do we know for a fact that this "levitating" design actually improves the sound quality at all?

They never said that it did.  It is in fact supposed to look cool.  (It's also supposed to have good sound quality, but they aren't making any particular claims about that.)

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2016, 06:16:15 pm »
New video on how to use it:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/245727224/mag-lev-audio-the-first-levitating-turntable/posts/1723738

looks like the guys behind the project were reading this forum ;) ok. i'm convinced now. i wish them good luck with the project and all the best !

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2016, 07:10:44 pm »
That's what I was thinking... If they made a hovering Delorian toy they would get over 1mio funds for sure. :popcorn:

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2016, 09:18:57 pm »
Impressive video. I am glad to see it in action. Kudos for making this thing work. Not convinced it has any benefit on sound quality but esthetically worth the price for people who like the looks and coolness factor!

Offline Hans Mortensen

• Contributor
I prefer nuts and volts to ones and zeros.

Offline robinb

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2016, 12:38:20 am »
They say "Air is the smoothest medium possible with the least amount of friction" ... oh I dunno, proper audiophiles will be running it in a tank of pure hydrogen ;)

The whole "vibration isolation" idea is bogus too, the tone arm is still coupled to the base and the platter isn't. So any vibration that hits the base will still cause movement of the stylus, or so it seems to me.

Cheers,
         Robin.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2016, 06:48:29 pm »
They say "Air is the smoothest medium possible with the least amount of friction" ... oh I dunno, proper audiophiles will be running it in a tank of pure hydrogen ;)

Helium.  The atoms are round, whereas H2 is lumpy.  It will roll more smoothly this way.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline robinb

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2016, 07:41:59 pm »
Nooo! Helium over extends the upper registers, easily verifiable with a balloon from your local party shop ;)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2016, 12:30:27 am »

The whole "vibration isolation" idea is bogus too, the tone arm is still coupled to the base and the platter isn't. So any vibration that hits the base will still cause movement of the stylus, or so it seems to me.

Cheers,
         Robin.

Yes yes, but it looks cool as shit. That alone would be worth it for me, if I had the cash!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 08:17:17 pm »
Lewis (Unbox therapy) got finished product:

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2018, 08:45:13 pm »
You wouldn't want this for the audio quality. You would want this to make a statement to the people that you have invited to your posh party.

But the technology for this has been available for a while, and often used in levitating stands for exhibition. The hard part is implementing the discrete automated control algorithm that reads magnetic field data from hall sensors and controls a gang of electromagnets. The rest is just industrial design.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:46:44 pm by taydin »
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 09:09:47 pm »
He's a sheeple hipster though and he's not the brightest bulb. In fact, he's really dim when it comes to any sort of scientific thinking or background research. He's the guy that oggled over one of those free water machines, so we should never trust him again. ::)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline a59d1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2018, 01:09:52 am »
You can complain all you want, but they made it work. Physics is on their side.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2018, 01:29:33 am »
You can complain all you want, but they made it work. Physics is on their side.

:palm:

Of course it "works". But that doesn't mean it's any good. Physics has nothing to do with being able to properly engineer something to be worth buying. I question that man's ability to review a product and determine whether to bother with it.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2018, 01:50:24 am »
It's a record player, audio quality is secondary to begin with. They shipped a product only a year late, pretty good for kickstarter.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2018, 03:04:06 am »
It's a record player, audio quality is secondary to begin with.

Uh oh...Defcon 2! :scared: You've angered the hornets now! ;D

But seriously, a good vinyl sounds better than a lot of that compressed digital rubbish (such as MP3) people listen to nowadays.* However, the quality of the sound as well as how fast your discs will degrade is entirely dependent on your machine. For example, what's the stylus weight on this machine? Since it is floating, is this consistent? What type of cartridge does it take? Is the speed consistent? (I'm assuming it is, as that would be a major fail)

*(when discs are not heavily worn)   
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline ivayloTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2018, 06:24:36 am »
The unpacking guy kept talking about impressing people. If you want to impress please play this:
https://youtu.be/GNowLvmIPoo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf