Author Topic: iPhone killer on Indiegogo  (Read 23412 times)

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Re: iPhone killer on Indiegogo
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 04:11:31 pm »
Well, Oculus had a prototype, these guys have nothing.

If they can show a prototype of the final or near-final product then they have, in my opinion, most of the skills necessary to bring the project forwards.

Otherwise, they're either terribly misinformed about the costs required to bring such a product to market... or they're scammers.

Sure, agreed Tom. No dispute here at all.

I only disagree with the overgeneralization by Corporate666 earlier. I think that is unwarranted.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 11:18:38 pm »
It would be virtually impossible to design a smartphone, especially one that complicated, for less than $2 million.
My opinion.

I think that # might even be conservative. The tooling alone would blow through that amount quickly.  Let alone salaries and overhead for the two to three years it would take to get to market.

And once it's ready to go to market, they have to convince the carriers to allow the phones on their networks.

Yeah, right, like that will ever happen.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 11:27:36 pm »

That's why IGG and KS are complicit in this.
The only KS projects that seem to ever work out are the incredibly simple ones - and even then, they deliver very late and tend to have unhappy backers.

I think you are a bit unfair to KS at least. There have been quite a few even complex projects there that have worked out just fine, with minor delays - Oculus Rift, for example.

I don't want to look like I am defending the scammers, but how would you want to regulate something like KS or Indiegogo without killing the crowd-funding concept (which is genuinely useful)?

How is it different from a pushy guy roping you into buying some dodgy speakers from a white van in a parking lot? Should we regulate parking lots because they facilitate this sort of activity and don't vet everyone coming to park there? Regulation won't protect against human stupidity, unfortunately.

I think Kickstarter is doing quite a bit to combat these scammers already and is pulling projects when it comes to their attention. Indiegogo plays a dead bug, I guess they will change their mind after a first successful class-action lawsuit.

And for those complex projects that worked out, was it KS's vetting process that assured it?  Absolutely not - in fact, their process actually serves to weed out companies more likely to succeed because they specifically reject the idea that it's a pre-ordering system (which is what it really is) and claim it's about funding ideas that would otherwise have trouble being funded.

As for regulating without killing the platform - it should be no different than any other platform of funding.  In other venues, there are specific rules and regulations that apply to companies soliciting funds in terms of what material statements they make or who they solicit funds from.  This is all intended to prevent the problems that arise through KS - in other words, funders who don't realize that it is entirely and purely their job to determine whether the project can actually succeed.  The only notice of this is a small box with a sentence or two saying "we don't check this stuff, that's up to you".  It's clear from the comments of many failed projects that the backers don't realize they have zero recourse through KS - and actually, KS acts as a buffer between the creator and backer, because the backers sole method of contact is through the KS website and KS doesn't enforce anything upon the creators after the projects complete.

If you look at the big money projects, virtually all of them were either horrendously late and/or had major quality problems of promises that went totally unfulfilled (like Lifx), or they were created by big groups that didn't need the $$ and just used KS as an advertising vehicle. 
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 11:43:20 pm »
The guy behind this did come out with a horrible dual display laptop a few years back. But if you read the specs this is clearly way over promising. There's no way they can push this out the door at $800. Apple, maybe, but not a no-name company with no way to get all the molding and mechanics they'll need for this.

Also, fuck anyone who calls a phone/tablet a phablet. Fuck them right in the ear with a bag of duck dicks.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 12:07:33 pm »
Ugh. I just had a look at the specifications. I'd been dismissing it before but this takes the cake.

http://www.idealfuture.com/#!dragonfly-specification---android-versio/c1m9v

One of the displays is detachable and a separate phone altogether. It's way too thin to fit a large battery and electronics in it (FOR A NEW STARTUP - relying on existing technology rather than a unique battery) so I don't see it having a long battery life.

They have not one but TWO 1440p LCDs, 7 inches each, that's probably $80 per display onto the BOM. But they still don't know if they will use Corning or Sapphire glass -- won't this be decided by the display choice and touchscreen technology?

The base has up to 512GB of solid state storage... that's going to be stupidly expensive to add, especially in a space-constrained smartphone platform.

Then they have two 4K@30fps capable 16MP cameras... in a smartphone. I mean I'm sure it's possible but why on earth do you need TWO? And then there are two SECONDARY  5MP cameras... because this thing is basically two phones in 1... Wait, where did the $800 go so quickly?

It's a "Phat Phablet" ... there, I said it.  :P

Offline MiataMuc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 02:47:33 pm »
I think there is another point to this: the smartphone market is higly competetive, with chinese brands trying to get a part in the western markets. This companies do have a lot of money, and a lot of knowledge (Huawei, etc.). If one of them would see the chance for a phone with this specs, and a reasonable price, they would do it.. no KS/IGG needed. But they do not - and this project itself is not a real invention or something really new to the market, but just a combination of known technologie.

Flo

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 09:33:39 pm »
But they do not - and this project itself is not a real invention or something really new to the market, but just a combination of known technologie.

I  would rather say it is a fantasy of the project owner designed to milk money from a few suckers, not a combination of known tech. Those guys have zero track record having successfully built anything of this complexity, the budget is BS, etc. It is scam, nothing more.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 01:45:17 am »
The guy behind this did come out with a horrible dual display laptop a few years back. But if you read the specs this is clearly way over promising. There's no way they can push this out the door at $800. Apple, maybe, but not a no-name company with no way to get all the molding and mechanics they'll need for this.

Also, fuck anyone who calls a phone/tablet a phablet. Fuck them right in the ear with a bag of duck dicks.

Sent from my Smartphone

Somewhere (maybe here, or maybe there?) I read that not only did he merely come up with a concept that never went to production, but the people who funded the project ended up suing the company for fraud due to false representations.  Xentrex or something?

Also there was a picture somewhere of a couple of pieces of wood and a hinge as a "mock up" of an early dual/folding computer thing.

Insanity, really.  I can't believe this project is still active!  It's so obviously a steaming pile of horseshit and a black hole of any funds put in.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 02:14:59 am »
With a thread title of "iphone killer" i was hoping for a device that would kill all iphones within range, maybe with a malformed bt packet or something
 :-DD
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2014, 10:47:14 am »
Went to check back on this, raised just under $650,000. Not sure on 70% rebate bit, does that mean they'll give back $455k (oh how generous) or is that a discount on their product in future?

They have this video:

But pause at 0:54 and you can see the screen images are superimposed. So it doesn't work, of course, as would be expected. So if anything indicates this is a scam, then it's this.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:48:45 am by tom66 »

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 11:09:44 am »
My next step will be a fully functional equivalent of the Lenovo X220T in a phone or 'phablet' form factor. 
i7 equiv with 16GB RAM + accessible uSD and uSATA SSD inboard.

Loaded 'lockable' docking base with support for LAN, 2x displays, optical drive, USB & ports etc.
Plug it in - use it as a workstation. Walk around underclocked as a phone/tablet.

A VGA/DCI/ HDMI out adapter cable woudl be useful for presentations along with generic BT keyboard & mouse support.

OS is a bit harder to choose - but it has to support a desktop OS for application compatibility - and probably Windows/'nix/ and IOS for consistency of the better apps. 
Android (mobile) is getting there, but still a lot of 'kiddie coders' making what could be potentially great apps.

Battery/mobile mode gets phablet lifespan, hard-docked gets AC/bigbattery life.

Perhaps dual OS / switchable when mobile vs. wired-or-wireless docked. 
Some app crossover for stuff like PDFs etc. (most already in IOS and Android)

With the docking WS capabilty - LAN backup / file / server authentication credentials etc as usual.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:14:12 am by SL4P »
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2014, 11:11:42 pm »
the bit between 1:00 and 1:10 in that video pretty much shows that they "green screened" the actual physical screen (maybe even with green paper) and overlayed/chroma-keyed fake video where the screen is in post. her finger moves the screen slightly, but the objects on-screen don't move with it.

for those of us who work in graphics, it's pretty obvious.

normally we can compensate for it by keyframing the corners of the overlay to the corners of the fake screen. kind of like Photoshop's transform->distort, but for video. looks like they didn't bother.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:13:44 pm by cloudscapes »

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 07:17:41 am »
Honestly, the people backing this one are fools in the fullest sense of the word.

It should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about technology that this one is a non-starter.  And for those that don't know anything about technology would uncover tons of information on why it's not a runner in moments with a simple Google search.

All the people getting rooked by this one have nobody to blame but themselves.  I almost want to contribute just to tell them how silly they were once they all start losing their tempers when the project is months behind and the creators have stopped all communication.

Oh, and that chick in the video is pretty hot... pity she's complicit in all this.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »
Honestly, the people backing this one are fools in the fullest sense of the word.

It should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about technology that this one is a non-starter.  And for those that don't know anything about technology would uncover tons of information on why it's not a runner in moments with a simple Google search.

All the people getting rooked by this one have nobody to blame but themselves.  I almost want to contribute just to tell them how silly they were once they all start losing their tempers when the project is months behind and the creators have stopped all communication.

Oh, and that chick in the video is pretty hot... pity she's complicit in all this.
It does feel like she's making up stuff on the fly, and sound as if she's about to cry, imo.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline Monittosan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »
I found it hard to get past the fake hair and those glasses just piss me off for some reason lol   :--

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2014, 05:46:58 pm »
I found it hard to get past the fake hair and those glasses just piss me off for some reason lol   :--
It's been told that EEs are allergic to bullshit.   :D
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 04:58:59 pm »
It would be virtually impossible to design a smartphone, especially one that complicated, for less than $2 million.
My opinion.
Therefore they have $10 000 goal and flexible funding  :palm:

Yeah, to me it looks like just a cash grab or he's going to import something from China that is nothing like what was described and pass it off as his design.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 05:52:20 pm »
Holy shit.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Your smartphone just got smarter, your purchasing behavior just got dumber. Introducing the Dragönflut Knäckebrot by Sendmemoney.

That thing is just too funny on so many levels. Or is that tragic on so many levels? Probably both, which makes it even more funny. ;D

The following users thanked this post: WattSekunde

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2015, 03:18:33 am »
I just looked through their website and cannot see any real physical hardware or prototypes.

No pcbs, no mother boards, nothing wired up etc

It just seems to be a whole lot of concept 3D animations and MBA bullshit marketing wank. And people have forked out 650K for this !!!

This is a train wreck waiting to happen although I could be proved wrong :palm:

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 04:18:39 pm »
I just looked through their website and cannot see any real physical hardware or prototypes.

No pcbs, no mother boards, nothing wired up etc

It just seems to be a whole lot of concept 3D animations and MBA bullshit marketing wank. And people have forked out 650K for this !!!

This is a train wreck waiting to happen although I could be proved wrong :palm:

Oh you are too negative. Always the half-empty vs half-full glass, c'mon. The guy has just retired to Belize and you are calling that a train wreck waiting to happen? I would call it a very smart business move! >:D

Offline NF6X

• Supporter
    • Mark's Green Pages
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »
Well, they have a nice VP of Social Media, but I think they need a VP of Engineering to tell them that the $650k they raised is unlikely to be enough to pay for the tooling for the plastics of their device, even if we assume that their graphic artist who makes all of their flashy renderings knows how to design production-ready plastics. Which I doubt, given that the animations appear to show the device folding at a sharp edge with no signs of any type of hinge assembly.

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2015, 04:14:02 pm »
They appear to have silently changed the android-only version to a chromebook (+ android?) version. Maybe they decided the BOM cost wasn't high enough?

All the specs refer to an android-only version, though. Maybe they just didn't notice the giant header which says CHROMEBOOK. Or that making the base run chrome os does require putting a x64 board in it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:19:32 pm by Nerull »

Offline bigdawg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 12:06:14 pm »
Sure enough; they still dont have a working prototype. Latest comment from the creators:

"Please keep in mind, we are building the most complex and advanced mobile device which requires time.

We have our working prototype update coming in the next few weeks and are going to begin shipping by the end of December 2015."

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 02:27:45 am »
For the ultimate phone, you need one of these... ;D

http://www.pomegranatephone.com

:-+

That site is hilarious! Great for pranking people....

So is that a project by Nova Scotia provincial business development and tourism board? 
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 08:40:17 am »

For the ultimate phone, you need one of these... ;D

http://www.pomegranatephone.com

I want one of these - but how to buy it?  The links did not work for me?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf