Products > Crowd Funded Projects

Is this planet saving "Engineer" for real?

(1/13) > >>

Keef Wivanef:
http://www.forbes.com/profile/george-taylor/
Chairman of the Board/Director/Founder, Ocean Power Technologies

Dr. George W. Taylor has served as our executive chairman since January 2009. Prior to January 2009, Dr. Taylor had served as our chief executive officer since 1993 and as a director since 1984, when he co-founded our company. From 1990 to 2004, Dr. Taylor was our president, and from 1984 to 1990, he was our vice president. In 1979, he co-founded and served as president of Princeton Research Associates, Inc., a consulting engineering, technical marketing and product development company. In 1970, Dr. Taylor co-founded Princeton Materials Science, Inc., a manufacturer of liquid crystal displays and digital watches. Dr. Taylor received a Bachelor of Engineering degree with First Class Honours in Electrical Engineering and a Doctor of Engineering degree from the University of Western Australia and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering degree from the University of London. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Engineers, Australia and the Institute of Electrical Engineers, London.

I'll tell you more about the "world leading developer" of Ocean Wave Energy later but I wonder what you think about old Georgie's academic claims.

It appears to be true that George did gain his BSc at Uni of Western Australia but it does seem remarkable that he followed it up with a doctorate at the same uni and then popped over to London University to obtain a further Doctorate in the same discipline.

I also find it a bit hard to believe that he is a fellow of the Institute of Engineers in both UK and Australia since he does not have any major accomplishments in either country.

Moving forward to 1984
George W Taylor (former "leading developer of Hong Kong watches) moves on to co-found Ocean Power Technology which  claims that  its planet saving Power Buoy Wave Widget will  be ready real soon.
$100M raised in the IPO and many more millions chipped in by governments around the world.

This is so impressive that the University of Western Australia awards him an Honorary Doctorate for services to renewable energy (right!)

Now, call me a suspicious old bastard BUT why would UNI of WA give him an Honorary Doctorate when he has already got a real genuine proper doktorate?
Unusual to say the least.

Still, at least old Georgie is not in it for the munny.

George W Taylor
Compensation for 2011
Salary    $492,879
Bonus    $120,000
Restricted stock awards    $15,870
All other compensation    $11,000
Option awards    $119,637
Total Compensation    $759,386

:wtf:
Oh, by the way.
Wave energy is in my humble opinion a load of old bollocks

Wave Power hubs have been built in UK and other places at taxpayer expense and have been sitting idle for years waiting for any of the "world leading providers" of wave widgets to deliver the goods.

http://www.oceanpowertechnologies.com/  :brainfart:

c4757p:
So, in other words, he makes too much money, you have unfounded opinions that his academic claims are fraudulent, and his technology is a load of bollocks but you can't explain why? God, it sure takes a lot of text to not explain why someone's full of shit.

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: Keef Wivanef on May 16, 2013, 12:31:12 am ---Oh, by the way.
Wave energy is in my humble opinion a load of old bollocks

--- End quote ---

You'd be wrong. There is a massive mount of energy in ocean currents and waves.

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: Keef Wivanef on May 16, 2013, 12:31:12 am ---Now, call me a suspicious old bastard BUT why would UNI of WA give him an Honorary Doctorate when he has already got a real genuine proper doktorate?
Unusual to say the least.

--- End quote ---

No, it's not, not uncommon at all.
And it's for real:
http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/200909181657/media-statements/distinguished-uwa-engineer-rides-crest-a-green-wave

Keef Wivanef:
Yes indeed there is a massive amount of energy in the waves.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/628552/5m-port-kembla-wave-generator-wrecked/

Wave energy companies like to claim that waves can deliver reliable consistent power 24/7/365.
bollocks

Wave widget companies know that it is hard to speak ill of anything so green.
They will always enjoy the benefit of the doubt

So many Wave Widget companies
So few of them in the water.
NONE of them in the water and delivering power.

Not that I'm a fan of Andrew Bolt ....but.... http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/10_billion_more_where_that_came_from/

Shrewd comment here
These contracts are outrageous. What’s stopping me and a few entrepreneurial types, say an engineer, an ecologist and a creative accountant from clubbing together under a likely sounding name, concocting a business plan and going for a big grant to keep us all in comfort for a few year? My integrity, that’s what.

Stumpjumper of Adelaide (Reply)
Sun 22 Apr 12 (06:52am)

Carbon fund trough...
OINK OINK....move over...I was here first....OINK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version