Author Topic: Is this planet saving "Engineer" for real?  (Read 20682 times)

Offline Keef WivanefTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Is this planet saving "Engineer" for real?
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:31:12 am »
http://www.forbes.com/profile/george-taylor/
Chairman of the Board/Director/Founder, Ocean Power Technologies

Dr. George W. Taylor has served as our executive chairman since January 2009. Prior to January 2009, Dr. Taylor had served as our chief executive officer since 1993 and as a director since 1984, when he co-founded our company. From 1990 to 2004, Dr. Taylor was our president, and from 1984 to 1990, he was our vice president. In 1979, he co-founded and served as president of Princeton Research Associates, Inc., a consulting engineering, technical marketing and product development company. In 1970, Dr. Taylor co-founded Princeton Materials Science, Inc., a manufacturer of liquid crystal displays and digital watches. Dr. Taylor received a Bachelor of Engineering degree with First Class Honours in Electrical Engineering and a Doctor of Engineering degree from the University of Western Australia and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering degree from the University of London. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Engineers, Australia and the Institute of Electrical Engineers, London.

I'll tell you more about the "world leading developer" of Ocean Wave Energy later but I wonder what you think about old Georgie's academic claims.

It appears to be true that George did gain his BSc at Uni of Western Australia but it does seem remarkable that he followed it up with a doctorate at the same uni and then popped over to London University to obtain a further Doctorate in the same discipline.

I also find it a bit hard to believe that he is a fellow of the Institute of Engineers in both UK and Australia since he does not have any major accomplishments in either country.

Moving forward to 1984
George W Taylor (former "leading developer of Hong Kong watches) moves on to co-found Ocean Power Technology which  claims that  its planet saving Power Buoy Wave Widget will  be ready real soon.
$100M raised in the IPO and many more millions chipped in by governments around the world.

This is so impressive that the University of Western Australia awards him an Honorary Doctorate for services to renewable energy (right!)

Now, call me a suspicious old bastard BUT why would UNI of WA give him an Honorary Doctorate when he has already got a real genuine proper doktorate?
Unusual to say the least.

Still, at least old Georgie is not in it for the munny.

George W Taylor
Compensation for 2011
Salary    $492,879
Bonus    $120,000
Restricted stock awards    $15,870
All other compensation    $11,000
Option awards    $119,637
Total Compensation    $759,386

:wtf:
Oh, by the way.
Wave energy is in my humble opinion a load of old bollocks

Wave Power hubs have been built in UK and other places at taxpayer expense and have been sitting idle for years waiting for any of the "world leading providers" of wave widgets to deliver the goods.

http://www.oceanpowertechnologies.com/  :brainfart:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:34:34 am by Keef Wivanef »

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Is this planet saving "Engineer" for real?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:45:23 am »
So, in other words, he makes too much money, you have unfounded opinions that his academic claims are fraudulent, and his technology is a load of bollocks but you can't explain why? God, it sure takes a lot of text to not explain why someone's full of shit.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:48:46 am »
Oh, by the way.
Wave energy is in my humble opinion a load of old bollocks

You'd be wrong. There is a massive mount of energy in ocean currents and waves.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:58:19 am »
Now, call me a suspicious old bastard BUT why would UNI of WA give him an Honorary Doctorate when he has already got a real genuine proper doktorate?

No, it's not, not uncommon at all.
And it's for real:
http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/200909181657/media-statements/distinguished-uwa-engineer-rides-crest-a-green-wave

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:05:18 am »
Yes indeed there is a massive amount of energy in the waves.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/628552/5m-port-kembla-wave-generator-wrecked/

Wave energy companies like to claim that waves can deliver reliable consistent power 24/7/365.
bollocks

Wave widget companies know that it is hard to speak ill of anything so green.
They will always enjoy the benefit of the doubt

So many Wave Widget companies
So few of them in the water.
NONE of them in the water and delivering power.

Not that I'm a fan of Andrew Bolt ....but.... http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/10_billion_more_where_that_came_from/

Shrewd comment here
These contracts are outrageous. What’s stopping me and a few entrepreneurial types, say an engineer, an ecologist and a creative accountant from clubbing together under a likely sounding name, concocting a business plan and going for a big grant to keep us all in comfort for a few year? My integrity, that’s what.

Stumpjumper of Adelaide (Reply)
Sun 22 Apr 12 (06:52am)

Carbon fund trough...
OINK OINK....move over...I was here first....OINK
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:13:19 am by Keef Wivanef »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 01:07:06 am »

No, it's not, not uncommon at all.
And it's for real:
http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/200909181657/media-statements/distinguished-uwa-engineer-rides-crest-a-green-wave

Yes...he really did get an HONORARY Doctorate.
Now, what about his other doctorates?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:16:13 am »
http://www.wavehub.co.uk/

Wave Hub “plugged in” and open for business

November 4, 2010
The pioneering Wave Hub marine energy project has been ‘plugged in’ for the first time since its installation over the summer and is officially open for business.Wave Hub has created the world’s largest test site for wave energy technology by building a grid-connected socket on the seabed 16 kilometres off the coast of Cornwall in South West England, to which wave power devices can be connected and their performance evaluated.

Wave Hub’s first customer will be Ocean Power Technologies, using its PowerBuoy wave energy converter.

So where the bloody hell are you?  :-DD
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:21:01 am by Keef Wivanef »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 01:19:13 am »
Yes...he really did get an HONORARY Doctorate.
Now, what about his other doctorates?

Why do you have to think everyone is a scammer?
Oh, that's right, you got scammed, and now you are pissed at everyone  ::)
Pathetic, really.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:26:56 am »
The most annoying thing about you isn't the ranting. It's not the pasting of stupid walls of text from websites anyone can find (and for which a simple link would do). It's not the constant, childish insistence that everything is bollocks and everyone is a scammer.

bollocks
.OINK

It's this shit. Holy mother of god, my eyes attempt suicide when I read your posts. Dude, lay off the formatting. It makes you look like you escaped from the loony bin, and it makes us want to seek refuge in one.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:27:50 am »
I never got scammed.
I got defamed by a scammer because I exposed him.
Along the way I discovered that there are a whole lot more Green Widget scams operating.
I also discovered that scammers shelter behind the green smokescreen and that most forum owners quickly submit to threats from the scammers.

Pathetic?
Whatever!

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 01:29:50 am »
Wave power works, no doubt about it......why is this thing not up and running?

probably for the same reason these things aren't on canals all over the world:

http://www.ecogeek.org/weird-stuff/2488

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 01:30:32 am »
I also discovered that scammers shelter behind the green smokescreen and that most forum owners quickly submit to threats from the scammers.

If that's what I can expect based on your "contribution" here, perhaps I'd be wise to simply ban you now so I won't have to deal with that?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 01:31:42 am »
that most forum owners quickly submit to threats from the scammers.

And so I will draw attention from them by commandeering an entire section of a forum to endlessly bitch about them! That'll show 'em!

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 01:42:13 am »
The most annoying thing about you isn't the ranting. It's not the pasting of stupid walls of text from websites anyone can find (and for which a simple link would do). It's not the constant, childish insistence that everything is bollocks and everyone is a scammer.

bollocks
.OINK

It's this shit. Holy mother of god, my eyes attempt suicide when I read your posts. Dude, lay off the formatting. It makes you look like you escaped from the loony bin, and it makes us want to seek refuge in one.

Golly, it's not even midday and I've pissed someone off already.
Must be doing SOMETHING right!

Can I now suggest that you consider the possibility that OPTT is not as focussed on saving our small blue planet as it is on filling the pockets of its directors.
Just consider that MIGHT be true and use your Google to find out the AWFUL TRUTH.

I don't have a Doctorate.
I have ONC in Mechanical and in Electrical Engineering and HNC in Electronic engineering
(I might be an idiot, but I are a well trained idiot)

Now, can anyone with a more academic background answer those questions about the triple Doctorates of Georgie?

For he's a jolly good fellow?
http://www.theiet.org/membership/types/fiet/
http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/membership/apply-fellow-membership

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 01:47:03 am »

If that's what I can expect based on your "contribution" here, perhaps I'd be wise to simply ban you now so I won't have to deal with that?

Shoot the messenger?  :anyone:

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 01:53:33 am »
I also discovered that scammers shelter behind the green smokescreen

Anyone whose bullshit detector doesn't kick into high sensitivity mode around "green" stuff is an idiot. Anyone whose bullshit detector sounds full alarms when it sees a green leaf is also an idiot.

Golly, it's not even midday and I've pissed someone off already.
Must be doing SOMETHING right!

The hilarious part is that you think this statement is facetious. Troll.

Can I now suggest that you consider the possibility that OPTT is not as focussed on saving our small blue planet as it is on filling the pockets of its directors.
Just consider that MIGHT be true and use your Google to find out the AWFUL TRUTH.

Can I now suggest that we consider the possibility that Keef Wivanef is actually Hitler's secret great-grandson who is trying to take over the world, one forum at a time? Just consider that MIGHT be true and use your Google to find out the AWFUL TRUTH.

See? Bollocks, isn't it?

Shoot the messenger?  :anyone:

If the messenger insists on spending an hour singing and dancing in my face instead of just delivering the message and getting the hell out, I reserve the right to shoot him.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 01:57:41 am »
Friday, 18 September 2009
A world-leader in green, large-scale conversion of wave energy to electricity, Dr George W. Taylor, was last night awarded an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Letters at The University of Western Australia.
Dr Taylor, who graduated from UWA with a B.E degree with First Class Honours in Electrical Engineering in 1957, was founder and editor-in-chief of the international journal Ferroelectrics, now in its 40th year and 380th volume.

http://www.oceanpowertechnologies.com/company.htm
 Dr. Taylor received a Bachelor of Engineering degree with First Class Honours in Electrical Engineering and a Doctor of Engineering degree from the University of Western Australia and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering degree from the University of London. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Engineers, Australia and the Institute of Electrical Engineers, London.

Please explain?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 01:58:35 am »
Shoot the messenger?

You aren't simply a messenger, it is clear your only purpose here is to spew vindictive vitriol toward any crowd funded projects and people involved in any sort of renewable energy project.
I've been around forums for decades and know your contribution here will end with nothing but trouble and only get worse the more rope you are given. The sensible side of me should have banned you a while back, but I'm my own worst enemy trying to be tolerant of all types.
Unfortunately this is not my forum, it's a community forum, so if I receive one more complaint about your contributions here, you will be banned.

Offline lgbeno

• Frequent Contributor
Is this planet saving "Engineer" for real?
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 01:59:21 am »
Seems like your just trying to pick a fight.  And apparently it's working.

Scam or no scam, 100M does not fall from the sky, it takes real work and convincing to get money like that. 

Go spend your that on something that makes the world a better place.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 02:01:21 am »
Please explain?

Sorry? I don't see what you want explained. One says "he has A", and the other says "he has A and B". I have a coffee mug. That is not a false statement just because I also have a car.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 02:04:28 am »
Unfortunately this is not my forum, it's a community forum, so if I receive one more complaint about your contributions here, you will be banned.

After you ban him, you should rename this section the "Keef Wivanef Memorial Wrestling Ring", where members go make stupid arguments and bitch at each other to blow off steam.  :box:

Am I the only one who'd love that?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 02:17:58 am »
How strange.
Mu Thermal appears on the face of it to be a scam and the perpetrators have trousered the loot.
It looks very likely that OPTT and other wave energy companies fall into the same category.
For stating these simple truths I am being treated like a goat molester!
 :(

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 02:19:21 am »
Do you read people's reasons for bitching at you, or does your brain shut down when you see that people are unhappy?

:brainfart:

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 02:21:10 am »
Please explain?

Sorry? I don't see what you want explained. One says "he has A", and the other says "he has A and B". I have a coffee mug. That is not a false statement just because I also have a car.

If Georgie really had a Doctorate in Electrical Engineering from UNI of WA then why would they award him an HONORARY Doctorate?

The purpose of the thread was to query the good doctor's academic credentials and then perhaps to consider whether the massive funding received by OPTT has been worthwhile.
After 25 years and a whole lot of money there is no evidence of one single watt hour being delivered to shore.
Much like the Mu Thermal, all we have is some videos and simulations.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:27:34 am by Keef Wivanef »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf