Author Topic: Meet the VisiPort2 - Worlds Smallest Arduino Programmer  (Read 4034 times)

Offline USB_GuruTopic starter

Meet the VisiPort2 - Worlds Smallest Arduino Programmer
« on: July 02, 2014, 06:18:42 am »
The VisiPort2 is a compact Arduino Programmer designed for the Mini and Mini Pro. It is jumper selectable between 5V and 3.3V. It also has output power for your circuit, 5V @ 480mA and 3.3V @ 280mA. Check it out here.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/201461162/the-visiport2-compact-arduino-programmer

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Meet the VisiPort2 - Worlds Smallest Arduino Programmer
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:11:47 am »
Any advantage over FTDI Basic http://r.ebay.com/xqOI1Q ?

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:33 am »
Any advantage over FTDI Basic http://r.ebay.com/xqOI1Q ?
They pretty clearly list the advantages - but in summary:
- micro USB, easy jumper selection of voltage and RTS/DTR "reset" signal
- a disconnect switch
- a separate regulator allowing higher current at 3.3V than you can get from the FTDI chip itself.

For a single unit pricing is comparable with Sparkfun, but even better in quantity.
I've used those cheap ebay/DX/AliExpress ones in the past, but there is a very good chance they will have fake FTDI chips on them these days.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »
They pretty clearly list the advantages - but in summary:
- micro USB, easy jumper selection of voltage and RTS/DTR "reset" signal
- a disconnect switch
- a separate regulator allowing higher current at 3.3V than you can get from the FTDI chip itself.

For a single unit pricing is comparable with Sparkfun, but even better in quantity.
I've used those cheap ebay/DX/AliExpress ones in the past, but there is a very good chance they will have fake FTDI chips on them these days.

Thanks for the clarification. 

I have a few of these http://r.ebay.com/69R7tQ  and they work just fine out of the box with Arduino Pro Mini.

BTW, calling this a 'programmer' is misleading IMO.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:44:54 am »
wow, they want 8k to make a board with a FTDI chip on it.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 02:42:28 am »
I would question the calling this product an "Arduino programmer" as being improper and possibly misleading.

In the Arduino world the name 'programmer' means a device that programs the flash memory of the target device using the AVR ICSP pins and not requiring that the target AVR have a bootloader installed. If you look at the arduino IDE tools/programmer menu all the supported programmers are ICSP devices.

The standard method of uploading 'sketches' to an attached arduino board is by using a USB serial link with an attached arduino board that had prior had a bootloader program burned into the flash. Most arduino boards have the USB serial converter chip on the board, the Pro-mini board is an exception that requires the user to use an external USB serial convert module or cable. Your write up talks of a mini pro board but I think that is just a mistake/typo? There is also a arduino mini board, but not a mini-pro

So to reiterate there are two ways to program a arduino board using the Arduino IDE:

1. Using a USB TTL serial converter chip or module, if the target device has a bootloader.

2. using a hardware programmer (the IDE supports 6 different kinds) which doesn't require the target AVR
    to have a bootloader installed.

In the Arduino world a hardware programmer (one of six supported by the IDE) is required if you need to
install/burn a bootloader to a AVR target. Your 'programmer' cannot burn bootloaders to devices, so therefore your design/device is not a Arduino programmer.

Calling your product a 'Arduino programmer' is a mistake as defined in the Arduino world. It's simply a USB serial converter module.

Also what is the value is having the DTR/RTS jumper choice? The Arduino IDE/AVRDUDE pulses both DTR and RTS to allow both present (use DTR) boards and older legacy boards (used RTS). As both are pulsed to trigger the auto reset on the target board to start the bootloader, I don't see the value of having a jumper selection choice?

Otherwise it's a functional design, the 5vdc/3.3vdc selector is useful.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:59:04 am by retrolefty »

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:20:09 pm »
to me, this is the kind of thing you put up on tindie for sale. If people want them they will buy them or just stick to sparkfun/adafruit and buy theirs.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline brucemellen

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 01:40:10 pm »
If I’m not mistaken, the same maker has a not so Arduino-friendly looking VisiPort on tindie.  I like to see sparkfun and ada… have some more competition.
Regardless of what they mislabel it as: programmer or USB to serial converter…, looking at the datasheet/schematic… linked, a few things I see/note:
The DTR/RTS could be helpful with boards other than Arduino/IDE
It’s a µUSB rather than a mini – which is the industry direction
As has been said, there is the 5v/3.3v selector for your board
Has 280mA 3.3v power (what they say) or USB power for your board/project, if you want to use it, even when the FTDI has been turned off
Hmmm….If your board/project is already powered, the FTDI can use your board/project’s voltage as reference (removing the voltage selector jumper)
The datasheet says it includes a 1x6 M/M header (if you don’t happen to have one and want to put it on your breadboard)
It has most of the LEDs I'd like to see.
…looks like a bit more friendly/flexible product than others on the market, regardless of what they call it.  I’ll sign up for/try one.  We’ll see if it gets funded & they can deliver.

Offline N TYPE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 05:20:49 am »
brucemellen shill :=\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf