Author Topic: Keef goes crowdfunding!!  (Read 20253 times)

Offline Keef WivanefTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Keef goes crowdfunding!!
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:03:36 am »
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keef-s-book-it-s-a-ripper/x/2816118?show_todos=true

Now, don't be negative..... I never am :-DD

I'm booking my flight to the Bahamas...... Palm trees.....Pina Colada....  WHOOO HOOO!!

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
Re: Keef goes crowdfunding!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:24:52 am »
Be curious to see if Greg Watson becomes your first backer  :-DD

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:09:07 am »
I like the idea ....  but a book - boring. You need to turn it into a musical. I am thinking of something like "Jesus Christ Superstar". Or do what everyone else does, Find the most relevant Shakespeare play, and rewrite is as the smash hit "Sunballs!!!".

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:17:41 am »
I'm curious to know what publisher requires to you to "cover some of the up-front costs."?
Are you self publishing/vanity publishing?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 08:35:47 am »
I can't tell you.
It's a secret.
I'm under NDA  ^-^

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:58:30 am »
I can't tell you.
It's a secret.
I'm under NDA  ^-^

In that case, due to your lack of communication, we all have to guess!  :P
Your claim that the book "has been favourably reviewed by publishers." is BS. Because it if was true, they would have offered you a publishing contract and you would not need to raise a cent.
So you don't have a real publisher, you have a vanity publisher who is asking for all the money.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 09:38:18 am »
I can't tell you.
It's a secret.
I'm under NDA  ^-^

In that case, due to your lack of communication, we all have to guess!  :P
Your claim that the book "has been favourably reviewed by publishers." is BS. Because it if was true, they would have offered you a publishing contract and you would not need to raise a cent.
So you don't have a real publisher, you have a vanity publisher who is asking for all the money.
There are plenty of print-on-demand services nowadays that ought to put vanity publishers out of business. Or at least significantly lower the entry cost for people wanting to publish niche books.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 09:49:39 am »
There are plenty of print-on-demand services nowadays that ought to put vanity publishers out of business. Or at least significantly lower the entry cost for people wanting to publish niche books.

But that doesn't get you the money you need to do marketing  ;D

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 11:17:02 am »

I took HIM to court for defamation and won my case.

I was awarded costs of $50K and damages of $30K
Watson's company Green and Gold Energy went into receivership and Watson has fled the country.
I have been unable to recover any of the money that I am owed.
This makes me a sad panda.

So you need $20K and the rest to make you a happy panda ?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 12:43:55 pm »
  :)

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 06:58:40 pm »
Keith,

How are you any different than the "scammers" you have so vehemently gone after?  You don't actually need the money, your answers to many of the questions on the campaign are not very serious, but you do genuinely appear to want people to put money into this thing - and it is really actually live and if people put money in, they will genuinely be charged on their credit card and the money given to you. 

So what is the difference?  Intent?  But good intent is what I've said (and you have agreed with) cannot be the basis for giving those seeking funding a free pass on not delivering or not being serious or respectful of the $$$ people are investing in them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:25:12 pm by Corporate666 »
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:23 pm »
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keef-s-book-it-s-a-ripper/x/2816118?show_todos=true

Now, don't be negative..... I never am :-DD

I'm booking my flight to the Bahamas...... Palm trees.....Pina Colada....  WHOOO HOOO!!

you can go to hell keef, you and your 100K$.

i will go to ride my horse.

look at girls back from above is much nicer than read this bulls***t
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22:29 pm »
Keith,

How are you any different than the "scammers" you have so vehemently gone after?  You don't actually need the money, your answers to many of the questions on the campaign are not very serious, but you do genuinely appear to want people to put money into this thing - and it is really actually live and if people put money in, they will genuinely be charged on their credit card and the money given to you. 

So what is the difference?  Intent?  But good intent is what I've said (and you have agreed with) cannot be the basis for giving those seeking funding a free pass on not delivering or not being serious or respectful of the $$$ people are investing in them.

The difference is that I will deliver what I have promised.
I am serious and I am respectful to my supporters (or should I say supporter?)

However....by going through the Indiegogo application process I have already proven that ANYBODY can put up any kind of a proposal on Indiegogo and start receiving money from day one.
If the promoter is a bit short in the scruple department and is telling a load of porkies then the contributors will be unlikely to get their money back.

Now
:-DD which way to the bank?  :-DD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 03:43:48 am »

Yeah, but where is the evidence this book exists?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 06:13:03 am »
Firstly there is plenty of evidence that the story exists.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/69083-red-flags-at-emcore
http://www.howardsmithlaw.com/Cases/Emcore.html
http://www.lavanlegal.com.au/index.php/publications/publicationdetail/proving_the_width_of_publication_of_online_defamation_how_wide_is_the_audie

Proof that the book exists?  What do you want, a free copy?  :--

If you care to follow the updates section on http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keef-s-book-it-s-a-ripper you will be able to read a few out-takes.
Better still, invest a mere 10 dollars and get a whole chapter plus the right to post quibbles on my page.

BTW I'm glad you've learned to be sceptical about crowd-funding proposals.
That is entirely sensible.

How is that lovely Mu Thermal widget coming along?  ::)

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 07:11:24 am »
Keef,

I think we do believe you. You are extremely passionate about this. Don't let our stirring get to you.

The people damaged in the story may be outraged by the full truth. Your book may be useful to them. For everyone else, it is another story of a heavily promoted bad idea ripping off a lot of money. If the story is told with bitterness, it is not a good read.

If you can put your own personal pain to one side and make the story a good read, you really have much more chance to get a wider readership. Humor would be very good way to highlight the issues. You cannot say that Green and Gold Energy were responsible for the losses of Emcore (unless Greg Watson was the principal of Emcore). It looks like Emcore lost the money very efficiently through their own endeavors and were probably extremely happy to be able to use G&GE in their fund-raising marketing strategy. They needed a good story, and that is what they got from G&GE.

If the SA government is not chasing the grant money, it may be that they have been advised that the cost of retrieving anything will far exceed the money invested. You can attempt to embarrass government officials and politicians, but I cannot see that doing much good. It could attract a few more lawsuits, and we really don't want you to go through that again. The truth is we all know that governments and politicians are pretty incompetent and clueless at technology. It is not news. What to do about it, without adding more useless and ineffective red tape is the question.

If your story can somehow teach people how to avoid loosing money for such investments in the future using your story as a guide, then it might be valuable and useful. There is a bigger picture behind this story and I really hope you can find it. I hope people can come away from your story thinking "I really learned something useful" instead of "I am shocked. I can't believe XXXXX was allowed to get away with this".

Good luck with the book.

How is that lovely Mu Thermal widget coming along?  ::)
I don't think anyone has a single bad word to say about the project. Several perhaps.

Richard

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 07:13:03 am »

Evidence that the story exists, yes.
Evidence that the story has been written into a book, no.
I should be sceptical, right?

Proof that the book exists?  What do you want, a free copy?  :--

Why not?
I have no plans to buy it, so you've lost nothing if you sent me the ebook, or whatever state it's in right now.
I could be an independent third party that can validate your book exists.

If you care to follow the updates section on http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keef-s-book-it-s-a-ripper you will be able to read a few out-takes.

You mean just re-posts of the exact same blog content you posted 5 years ago?  :palm:
http://suncube.blogspot.com.au/2008/04/lets-start-at-beginning.html
http://seekingalpha.com/user/649087/profile

Will your book just be a re-hash of all your blog posts over the years?
I still see no original content that you haven't already posted online.
Lame.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 07:13:42 am »
Keith,

I am serious and I am respectful to my supporters (or should I say supporter?)

However....by going through the Indiegogo application process I have already proven that ANYBODY can put up any kind of a proposal on Indiegogo and start receiving money from day one.
If the promoter is a bit short in the scruple department and is telling a load of porkies then the contributors will be unlikely to get their money back.

Now
:-DD which way to the bank?  :-DD

Two points...

1) I am positive the founders of this Mu Imager or the Pebble (both of which you have lambasted) would also say they are serious and respectful of their supporters, and that they will deliver.

2) You say you are being serious and respectful (of the fact that people are putting their hard earned money in).  Based on the answers you posted to questions on Indiegogo, "serious" and "respectful" are not the words that come to mind.

For example:

Point out your successful track record with projects like this (if you have one).
        I got it together once.
        I forgot where I put it.

Make it real for people and build trust.
    I am real, you can trust me.

Remind them to use the Indiegogo share tools!
    Try to remember........... what was that again?

And that’s all there is to it.

Whooo Hoooo!

It appears that you are making a bit of a joke with the project.  I think my feeling is confirmed by your statement that "I have already proven that ANYBODY can put up any kind of a proposal on Indiegogo and start receiving money from day one.".

I'm not saying you are a scammer.  I am just pointing out that, from my perspective, you have gotten so wrapped up in this Suncube thing from years ago and your resultant internet war against people seeking investments that you might have lost the plot a bit, and may even be emulating aspects of that which you detest so much in your seemingly scorched earth policy towards such folks.

Just an observation - take it for what it's worth. But keep in mind that at least a few other users have raised similar complaints, and the forum owner has mentioned he's gotten numerous reports and complaints as well.  I don't think that helps your cause... and your cause appears to be well intentioned and just - so it's a shame.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 07:36:08 am »
I do agree that the story should be told with a bit of humour.
Without that it would be  :=\

Here you go.... a sneak preview!

Dear Keith

DEFAMATION CLAIM

As you know, this matter was listed for further directions this morning before Justice Nicholas.
I appeared on your behalf and the defendants were represented by Mr. Dawson.

Prior to the hearing, Mr. Dawson informed me that the defendants’ solicitors had not heard from the defendants until the end of last week. Apparently, Mr. Watson is in Thailand and has been
subjected to a number of serious bouts of malaria. Based upon information provided to Mr. Dawson, that is the reason why the defendants have not yet filed a defence, and it is the reason why we have not heard further from the defendants’ solicitors.

Mr. Dawson also informed me that he had been instructed that Mr. Watson would be returning to Australia in 2 weeks time and his instructions were that, upon Mr. Watson’s return, a defence was to be prepared, filed and served.

In the circumstances, and notwithstanding the order made by the Court on 7 March 2011 and indeed, notwithstanding the order made on 5 October 2010 for the defendants to file a defence, Mr. Dawson advised that the defendants wanted a further, and inevitably final, opportunity within which to file a defence.

Whilst the defendants’ failure to comply with previous orders is a matter of significance and importance, I had no doubt that the Judge would agree to grant to the defendants one further, and final, opportunity within which to file a defence. Accordingly, I discussed with Mr. Dawson proposed orders whereby the defendants would be given one further and final opportunity to file a defence and, if they did not do so, then judgment would be entered against the defendants without further consideration.

In my view, but with some reluctance, that was the preferred course to take, rather than your having to incur the cost of a contested application for the defendants to be granted further time, particularly when, as I have indicated, my anticipation is that the Court would, albeit with some reluctance, grant to the defendants one further opportunity.

As a consequence, I agreed the following orders with Mr. Dawson, and these orders were duly made:

1.   The defendants to file any defence on or before 2 May 2011.

2.  If they do not do so, then judgment is to be entered for you, for damages to be assessed.

3. The matter be listed in the May Defamation List, specifically 9 May 2011, including for the     purpose of a date being fixed for the assessment of damages in the event that the defendants fail to comply with order 1.

4. The defendants pay your costs of today.

Obviously, I am keen to progress this matter as quickly as possible, but am not in a position to do so until a defence has been filed and served. I anticipate that this the last opportunity that the defendants will have within which to take that step.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards
Yours sincerely

Sue Yerassoff & Associates

“WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO” said Keef.
He said it very quietly because Rapunzel was not totally enthusiastic about Keef’s unhealthy preoccupation with stirring up hornet’s nests, and had noticed that the cookie jar was looking rather depleted.

Bing Bong Bleep
Hello…..I’ve got mail….

To: Keefwivanef

Keef, Never say I'm not a fair and compassionate man. I did give you a change. I really do suggest you should have a talk with your lawyer and give him a printed copy of my offer. His advise may be different to your knee jerk reaction. Remember you have till COB Thursday  to reconsider and contact my lawyer to work out a settlement.

All the best, Green and Gold Energy Pty Ltd
Greg Watson, MD

To: Keefwivanef

Subject: Court

Keith,

I'm willing to not receive the costs to date (as per the court order) if
 you drop this matter now. We each pay our own court / lawyer costs and it
 is over.
 Discuss this if you wish with your lawyers but it will only increase your
 costs.

Best regards,
 Greg Watson, Mng Dir,
 Green and Gold Energy Pty Ltd

“Are you out of your freaking mind Watson” thought Keef. “ YOU are the one who is ordered to pay MY costs. You know what you can do with your offer Watson!”

To: Greenandgoldenergy

BLOWIT OUT YOUR ARSE!

Regards
Keef Wivanef

Chapter ?
Where did all the money go?

“Excuse me, dearest” said Rapunzel sweetly.
“Er, Wot”  said Keef politely after a brief pause whilst he hammered away on the keyboard.

“What happened to the spending money dear?

“I spent it”

“And the cookie jar money too, dearest?”

“Er…..Yers…… I’m afraid so”, said Keef nervously”

“Anyway, I can explain, It’s all fookin Watson’s fault”

Rapunzel……Rapunzel…….come back dearest…

:palm:

jucole

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:02 am »
Keith although I understand your reasons for doing this but surely your pre-order investment loss was just one of the risks of being in business?  you took a risk of not accessing a new technology properly yourself for potentially the gain of being one of the first to market these new systems, and to realize a nice profit over your competitors.    Why should I pay to read some old ramblings of just another rip-off scheme just because someone who was in the game and fully understood the rules lost out?

Now, if you'd historically researched all the best and most convincing tech swindlers over the years and then written an e-book about how to spot the tell-tale signs; with an introduction about your story etc  surely that would be a better use of your time and my money?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:43:27 am by jucole »

jucole

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 09:20:04 am »
Also why in this article written on the 26th October 2011 by Nick Stagg from Lavan Legal does it states the damages awarded were 30K and 5K
http://www.lavanlegal.com.au/index.php/publications/publicationdetail/proving_the_width_of_publication_of_online_defamation_how_wide_is_the_audie

Her Honour awarded Mr Leech $30,000, which included $5,000 for aggravated damages on the basis that the defendants had published the defamatory matter maliciously.

and yet you state in your crowd funding text...
I took HIM to court for defamation and won my case. I was awarded costs of $50K and damages of $30K

Where does your 50K and 30K come from?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:17 am »
Perhaps I should clarify that
Watson was asking for "intentions to purchase" and, just like 5000 other interested potential customers, I filled out the form and said that I'd like to have one.
Watson never got one cent from me.
(My solicitor did much better)

I was taken in by the fraudulent performance claims that were made by Watson.

Example

330 W / 660 kWh* 4x5 SunCube™ Solar Appliance:
Model GGE330-56 or GGE330-28 or GGE330-14
AU$1,200 inc GST for Australian customers
AU$1,090 ex GST for International customers. Local import duties, taxes, tariffs and other charges may apply
Availability Internationally and Australia
Packing, Shipping and Installation extra
Warranty
Shipping size approx 1,050 x 1,300 x 200 mm, weight approx 15 kg
Shipping size approx 41 x 51 x 8 inches, weight approx 33 lbs
Flat pack available for bulk shipment.
Requires some simple hand tool based reassembly.
Thickness is reduced to approx 50 mm or 2 inches
3 DC output versions available
~56 VDC @ ~6 Amps (Model GGE330-56) Grid Connect unit
~28 VDC @ ~12 amps (Model GGE330-28) RAPS unit
~14 VDC @ ~24 Amps (Model GGE330-14) RAPS unit
Click here to place a no obligation intent to order and to get more detailed information
Learn how to make money from your SunCube investment

The most significant advantage which the SunCube claimed was that its yearly output was about 5x what could be expected from a flat panel of the same value.

It rapidly became clear that the performance claims were total bullshit.
The price and delivery details were invented also.

Watson's  (very successful) plan was to use false advertising to draw in "intentions to purchase" and then use those ITPs  to convince investors to purchase franchises.

The SunCube International Group SCIG went on to lure in licencees and sub-franchisees around the world.
When Watson needed IEC certification for the SunCube so that it could qualify for rebates he simply forged the certification.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/green-india/suncube/green-india/ZQORBuPnR4I/fXYSAkhAd9wJ

You can use Google to check that all of what I am saying is true.
You will probably soon get bored.
Much better to sit back in a comfortable chair and read the book.
I've gone to a lot of trouble to make it an entertaining read.

To those who have suggested I could simply use a vanity publisher, thanks but no thanks.
I don't wish to sell just 20 copies to friends and relations.
I intend to have a marketing and publicity campaign and warn whole world about Green Widget Scams and how ASIC and the other regulators are unwilling to close the stable door.

Time for a head-banger
 |O

Ooooh! That's better.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 09:39:31 am »

Where does your 50K and 30K come from?

DAMAGES $30K (plus interest still accruing)
COST (slightly over) $50K  plus interest

My legal costs should have been much lower but Watson came up with excuses for delays (Malaria, cat ate homework etc.)

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Keef goes crowdfunding!!
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:54 am »
It'a a your problem
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 10:00:59 am »
Il mio hovercraft/aeroscivolante è pieno di anguille

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf