Author Topic: Kickstarter - Mono SMT-Proto - An SMT Prototyping PCB  (Read 2712 times)

Offline digger72Topic starter

Kickstarter - Mono SMT-Proto - An SMT Prototyping PCB
« on: November 14, 2020, 06:30:25 pm »
I wanted to get some feedback from the informed members of this  board, especially those who are in the business of soldering and creating their prototype
boards.

I created a board called Mono SMT-Proto and have tried to be clever where every pin of an SMT  IC can connect to a VCC, GND or a Test Point ( or can have a Pull Up or a Pull Down). The  board can be powered by USB and and the VCC can be +5V or +3.3V ( using an on board  regulator).

Would like to see your comment and feedback about it from the point of view of of knowing if  it is going to be useful. Thanks in advance

The project is here on Kickstarter -  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monosmtproto/mono-smt-proto-usb-powered-smt-prototyping-board

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Kickstarter - Mono SMT-Proto - An SMT Prototyping PCB
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 04:49:34 am »
That's an interesting idea and useful if the traditional prototyping route is too fragile. But with predefined footprints you can end up running out of footprints with much of the board unused. For instance, if you have two chips of the U5 sort, placing one has basically filled that board.

Perhaps you could have a 'master' PCB where many, if not most, footprints are actually for a daughterboard (are we still allowed to use these terms? I lose track...). Those are a standard pattern and then you just choose the daughterboard that suits your chip - all it would be is a SMT to whatever interface (pin header, castellated edge, etc). A bit more expensive to start but cheaper overall as you're not wasting so much.

One other thing: the pledges suggest I could order two boards for $15, making them $7.5 each, or five boards for $50, making them $10 each. I would have expected them to get cheaper the more I buy, not more expensive!

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 09:21:11 am »
Nice idea but personally I would only use such a board for a "final" prototype and then probably it is too big or missing something.
If you got used to this then you should be able to order more within a small timeframe.

For smd proto I mainly use converter pcbs or make the pcb , you need some iteration rounds anyway and the cost for pcb manufacturing is low.
What I would love to see on ali or such is a bag of 10pcs converter pcbs for all different footprints with 100nF capacitor space.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 05:38:01 pm »
What I would love to see on ali or such is a bag of 10pcs converter pcbs for...

If you have a firm idea of what you'd want to see, why not run it up on Tindie or similar yourself?

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 06:15:04 pm »
Why should I, it is a hobbie for me not a living.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 06:28:30 pm »
My comment wasn't meant as an admonishment, and I apologise if it seemed that way. It was simply a suggestion that you might achieve your desire and make a few pennies along the way. I don't see that being a hobby or whatever prevents that.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 06:46:43 pm »
Oh ok, well to be honest now to come think of it back in the day to be more specific in the 80s/90s almost all ic's had a standardized pinout for Vcc and Gnd, think of the 74LS and HC(T) series and the CMOS 4000 series. For those ics it would be easypeasy to design a capacitor discoupled proto breakout board.
But the last smt ics Inused were a leddriver from Maxim and a motordriver ffom TI, both had weird pinouts for their Vcc and gnd and even worse a thermal plane under the ic package for the heat and datasheets with soecific instructions how to get rid of that heat. So no way you can make a standard universal breakout board gor those, so disregard my previous message.  ;)

Offline digger72Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 04:38:04 pm »
I did not check replies in a while. Thanks to everyone for taking time to give the feedback.

We have updated the kickstarter, so we are now shipping 8 of these boards for anyone who is pledging $50.

We have not spent any dime on promotion, so if any one can spread the word that will be a great help.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline Techno255

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 07:58:36 am »
I have gone through the kickstarter link, this board is out of my expectations and found a different one which is not available anywhere.
it's having soo many IC package which we used mostly, I bought this for my project hobby, very impressed

thankyou team who has designed this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf