Author Topic: KS Scam: "BattBump App" (charge phone through NFC)  (Read 4741 times)

Offline cavacTopic starter

• Contributor
  • The Perl Geek
    • Cavac's Blog
KS Scam: "BattBump App" (charge phone through NFC)
« on: June 26, 2018, 07:37:14 am »
"Give us AU$30000 to develop and App some one phone can charge another via NFC".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1749849235/battbump-an-app-to-share-and-receive-phone-battery/description

Yeah, right. Because if a phone could use NFC to get charged (hint: it can't), 6mW is plenty of power to charge a phone in a few seconds.  |O

And, oh, it's also a social network and uses blockchain.  :horse:

Maybe Dave could do a five minute whiteboard video to show how many decades you'd have to "bump charge" to get the battery to 50% ;-)
"I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus doing something incredibly stupid... then i went ahead anyway." (Crowe, MST3K)

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: KS Scam: "BattBump App" (charge phone through NFC)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 01:39:47 pm »
Haha, I just came here to post about this!
Even if it used Qi charging instead of NFC (and assuming phones had Qi transmitters) the efficiency would make it totally useless.

Obviously no engineers were harmed... I mean consulted... in the making of this Kickstarter  >:D
I'm guessing Cat Clark is another Meredith Perry in the making.

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 01:53:40 pm »
LOL, Sony have patented it ... just in case it ever does actually become practical (it wont)

https://bgr.com/2017/03/16/wireless-charging-sony-patent-nfc/

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 06:38:01 am »
I reported the project. It violates the rule "we require projects to show backers a prototype of what they’re making". Obviously there is no working prototype.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 06:47:33 am »
The update from this morning is hilarious.
To paraphrase: we're just building the software - the hardware is someone else's problem.

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:28:36 am »
The Kickstarter has just been cancelled  :-DD

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:04:13 am »
How about creating an app (with cost of $1) and users can start sending a SMS messages containing some battery charge to each other, like 1mAh per message. Or, better yet, CAS (Charge as service) so that you can buy extra charge from the mobile app in some ridiculous price per mAh. :)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 09:46:43 pm »
The Kickstarter has just been cancelled  :-DD

Oh no!!!

But it was going to use Blockchain technology! And its own "BB token" cryptocurrency!!
What a shame the world will have to keep moving without this super-cool technology...  ::)

Nice teaser video though. If this was really meant as a joke, someone went to some length about it.

Offline Cthulhoid

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 03:43:32 am »
And the scammer deleted her LinkedIn profile, too.  :popcorn:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 03:53:38 am »
I didn't know about this thread!

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 05:48:12 am »
Don't worry Dave - this is not the thread you're looking for...

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 11:50:58 pm »
And the scammer deleted her LinkedIn profile, too.  :popcorn:

Mysterious report on Dave's video...then this idiot runs away and hides in shame...coincidence? I think not... >:D

Successful annihalation by Dave, perfect 100% BS removal score! :clap:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 05:54:44 am »
Samsung Wireless PowerShare on the Galaxy S10

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00082564/

you should all feel very stupid now!!1

... wait no, Samsung should :) First it was phones blowing up, then brilliant idea of $2000 foldable screens phone not exactly panning out https://qz.com/1598094/the-samsung-galaxy-folds-display-seems-to-have-problems/ with review units going blank/tearing apart, and now I learned they actually implemented BattBump! :D
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 03:35:09 am »
It's always great to read the fine print. On the BattBump KS page it clearly states:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1749849235/battbump-an-app-to-share-and-receive-phone-battery/posts/2223691

BattBump are developing an app. The technology aspect regarding the transfer of battery would be purchased from a company/and or persons who already have developed the technology. We will not be developing this technology ourselves nor utilising any technology within the app without permission. The current funding will be used to have the shell of the app developed, ready for the technology to be integrated when and if it is available. The video and creative stills are to give a storyboard of how the app and technology would work together once it is available and once it is integrated alongside BattBump. This is our research and development phase and we thank and appreciate our backers patience and support.

You see what they did there?  :-DD

The funding is being used to create the "shell of the app" that will allow such technology to be integrated "when and if it is available". This should never have been accepted by KickStarter. I can see IndieGogo accepting this, but KS?  :--
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 04:03:29 am »
It's always great to read the fine print. On the BattBump KS page it clearly states:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1749849235/battbump-an-app-to-share-and-receive-phone-battery/posts/2223691

BattBump are developing an app. The technology aspect regarding the transfer of battery would be purchased from a company/and or persons who already have developed the technology. We will not be developing this technology ourselves nor utilising any technology within the app without permission. The current funding will be used to have the shell of the app developed, ready for the technology to be integrated when and if it is available. The video and creative stills are to give a storyboard of how the app and technology would work together once it is available and once it is integrated alongside BattBump. This is our research and development phase and we thank and appreciate our backers patience and support.

You see what they did there?  :-DD

The funding is being used to create the "shell of the app" that will allow such technology to be integrated "when and if it is available". This should never have been accepted by KickStarter. I can see IndieGogo accepting this, but KS?  :--

They only added this after the debunking video.
But this an old thread.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf