Author Topic: LimeSDR mini  (Read 8495 times)

Offline hamster_nzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
LimeSDR mini
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:55:26 am »
https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr-mini

USB 3, TX+RX, 10MHz - 3.5GHz reference, 30.72MHz RF bandwidth, 12-bit ADC/DAC

I just pledged for one + case + antennas.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:57:09 am by hamster_nz »
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: LimeSDR mini
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:20:53 am »
I shouldn't have, but one is hopefully on the way to me too. The early bird deals are going fast.

Offline hagster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 02:56:22 pm »
The design still has the impedence matching network for Rx2 and Tx2 onboard. Hopefully they will add some U.FL connectors for these.

Offline pointAndy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:48:33 pm »
These have started arriving now. Has anyone received theirs? I missed out on the first batch, mine is supposed to be shipped today.

I'm printing my case today in anticipation. This guy has tested his and made refinements so it should fit well if you want a prebuilt one:
LimeSDRmini Case by Hagster https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2817913

Anyone have plans for theirs already?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:59:11 am »
I've had mine for a while (with the acrylic case), but it has lived on the shelf for a while because it wouldn't work.

A couple of days ago I purchased a USB 3.0 PCIe card, and after a bit of hacking got it to work on GQRX SDR on my Ubuntu desktop, and from there on my Windows 10 desktop. Haven't started to work with TX at all.

Secret for me was the driver string - rather than the suggested one, I have to use "driver=Lime,soapy=0" plus a lower sample rate (15360000 for desktop, 7680000 for laptop), as my older hardware did not like running as USB 3.0 speeds for extended time.

With Cubic SDR, using 200000 S/s was enough to start listening to some local AM stuff -Air Traffic control and so on.

Now I have to buy a lot of SMA to something-else cables and adapters.

Here is about a third of the local FM broadcast spectrum, with an antenna that is a 200mm wire jumper:

Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 01:06:00 am »
Still waiting for mine to arrive. hopefully soon.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:25:12 am »
Got mine working with SDR Console on Windows 10, but broadcast FM reception is no good with the built in amplifier (compared to RTL-SDR with the same shitty antenna). Seems like you need to put in a lot of work to get good <UHF reception.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:40:26 am »
Mine arrived today.. No idea how to use it.  there was no documenation in the box.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 02:54:44 am »
Mine arrived today.. No idea how to use it.  there was no documenation in the box.

P.M. me if you get stuck.. .

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 05:23:06 am »

Got mine last Friday. It is a heck of a lot more difficult to get started than what I expected - soooo many knobs and buttons to press. It's been far too long since I was playing with amateur radio stuff so my memory of how to operate radios properly is somewhat shady. But by searching for a few topics online, I quickly found tutorials that got me started at least. I've been playing with HDSDR which I found to be the easiest to use.

Now, the next step is to go buy a better RX antenna for listening to VHF transmissions. :)

Offline pointAndy

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:48:56 am »
soooo many knobs and buttons to press.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I've had mine a few weeks now, been trying out a couple things with it. Got FM reception on a few different apps under linux and windows 10. Under linux I had some iridium packets getting picked up with gr-iridium, I think that would work much better if I could give the antenna a better view of the sky, our balcony has another floor on top of it.

I've also had issues actually getting it to work at 30Msps as mentioned above. Best I've managed has been about half that so far. Overall, has seemed worth the extra money for the extra capability over an RTL-SDR. Though you might as well have both for the cost of the RTL-SDR.

The ANT500 antenna works well and screws straight in. Also found a Vivaldi antenna which should work for the upper frequencies on Tindie which just arrived and is waiting for testing.

Now I'm starting to look at filters so I can block out the FM bands which seem to cause ghosting everywhere.

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:34:02 pm »
HDSDR is easy enough to work with. GnuRadio not so much, at least the learning curve is a lot steeper...

I'll get the hang of things soon enough, I just need to have some time to play with it.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 02:54:25 am »
Could someone advise me on how to run a complete functional test of this device? I noticed a variety of strange issues when running on Windows with SDR Console, but can't be sure whether they're hardware, software, or setup related problems.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 05:23:18 am »
I ordered a limeSDR.

I paid for it and eventually they shipped it.
The tracking updated for a few days then just stopped updating before it even arrived in NZ.
I wasted a long time contacting everyone I could think of.

Eventually CrowdSupply/LimeSDR guys agreed it was lost. I asked for my money back and they said they have to see what happens with their insurance claim.

That was 2 months ago now.

(In the mean time I ended up getting a HackRF which arrived in 4 days or something and works great for what I needed it for)

Offline hagster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 07:40:40 pm »
Could someone advise me on how to run a complete functional test of this device? I noticed a variety of strange issues when running on Windows with SDR Console, but can't be sure whether they're hardware, software, or setup related problems.

The myriadRf discourse is the best place to get suplort for the LimeMini. There is a windows test program that runs a set of factory tests.

https://discourse.myriadrf.org

I have had best luck with HDSDR using the Lime plugin https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr-mini/updates/hdsdr-support-for-limesdr-hardware

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 08:14:16 am »
My limeSDR finally arrived after 2.5 months transit time. Seems to work fine.

It is monstrously more complicated to use than the hackRF

I got it working in HDSDR without trouble, but still can’t seem to get it to work in GNURadio yet.

The HackRF I had no trouble with, it worked fine.

Lastly the LimeSDR gets scorching hot. In free air it runs at 55 degrees C

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf