Author Topic: Moodo- The Smart Home Fragrance Box  (Read 4749 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Re: Moodo- The Smart Home Fragrance Box
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:58:14 am »
Interesting product. The amount they are raising to get funded appears to be too little to actually be necessary for this campaign, so the goal is likely to boost awareness of the product and get social media/blog interest. I'm sure they already have their own funds and investor capital being raised as they are a team within an existing aroma/fragrance producing company.

I can see this taking off, as those plug-in scent gadgets are springing up all over the place. They heat up an element and evaporate some oil with aroma over several weeks. The use of scent-cartridges and doing mixing and matching is a bit of a chore though, as you have to stock up on a bunch of different types (they say 400,000 different smells with it.... how many different cartridges are there in the library that you would want to have)? If you want to switch to a different scent, you would need to possibly swap out some cartridges and put others in. Then you would need a way to know when they are running out (does the device measure or do you rely on your nose to figure out which one of the 4 cartridges is empty)?

Not something I would ever buy, but there is probably a market for this. Price is quite high, and how much would you end up paying to constantly keep a stock of scent cartridges around? Personally I would prefer the smell of nothing, just clean fresh. I find all these fragrances do is look like you are trying to mask some other smell, they are distracting and annoying especially in any office environment. And at home, your nose typically gets accustomed very quickly to the background smell and you no longer notice it anyways. This might be good in spas, restaurants and those kinds of places, but how much will people waste their time experimenting with cartridges and changing their smell ambiance? Don't people just buy a handful of different varieties of those plug-in aromas and use them until each of them run out? Who is going to be nutty enough to play around with this thing?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:00:35 am by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:52:44 am »
::)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/moodo-the-smart-home-fragrance-box--2#/

Unfortunate name, within 5 seconds I'd gone to "cow pats" because moo do which of course lead to bullshit

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:06:17 pm »
Agreed, really stupid name.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 10:51:09 pm »
I can see this taking off, as those plug-in scent gadgets are springing up all over the place. They heat up an element and evaporate some oil with aroma over several weeks.

And if you are lucky they won't catch fire and burn your house down.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:57:54 pm »
I can see this taking off, as those plug-in scent gadgets are springing up all over the place. They heat up an element and evaporate some oil with aroma over several weeks.

They're pretty safe as they've existed in the US for 30+ years (originally under the name Glade Plugins).
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 06:17:54 pm »

They're pretty safe as they've existed in the US for 30+ years (originally under the name Glade Plugins).

The Glade ones seem to be ok, but there are other makes that have caused house fires.

Offline Holmes34

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 10:39:53 pm »

The Glade ones seem to be ok, but there are other makes that have caused house fires.

It's actually not distributed by heating elements, as is obvious if you actually click on the link and glance down the page. It's powered by four individual fans to blow air over scent-impregnated porous beads that are in the "pods". I imagine the pods have literally 0 tech in them considering they're being marketed as "cheap" refills.

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »
Why would anyone want to have their house smelling like some's grandma?
What the F ?  :-DD

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 10:21:13 am »

It's actually not distributed by heating elements, as is obvious if you actually click on the link and glance down the page. It's powered by four individual fans to blow air over scent-impregnated porous beads that are in the "pods". I imagine the pods have literally 0 tech in them considering they're being marketed as "cheap" refills.

Most of the plug-in scent devices use heaters, and they have caused house fires

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf