Author Topic: More solar roadway like nonsense  (Read 30406 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: More solar roadway like nonsense
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 08:30:54 am »
That meter he's 'measuring the road' with, is almost certainly one of these pieces of crap.
I seem to recall that costing me a whole $7, in a shop in Sydney. Good to know those guys are sparing no expense to get an _accurate_ measurement of the road.

Yup! And the leads are in the wrong jacks and it's turned off!  :-DD

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:33:48 am by EEVblog »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 08:35:36 am »
Yup! And the leads are in the wrong jacks!  :-DD

There's another photo?!! Amazing! Hahahah, oh gawd. Is the damn thing switched on? Does it even have batteries installed?
Oh please, Dave, you need to start a new segment on EEVblog: "Epic fails of the Electronics Kind". Name and shame just like they do on ABC's 'The Checkout'.

:-DD
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:37:22 am by Halcyon »

Offline DaveG

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 09:28:32 am »
His Hi-Vis vest is on backwards as well.

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 10:02:30 am »
I was about to comment on the campaign at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solarlayer-every-surface-is-a-solar-panel#/comments, but there was an obstacle that I have no intention of overcoming:

"You must contribute to this campaign to make a public comment"

EDIT: On the other side, this offer seems very good:

$2000 USD + Shipping
SOLAR LAYER PAINT BIGGER ROOF
We will send you 30 Liters of White Paint with the SolarLayer Technology. Enough to Convert your Roof in a SolarPanel with the explanations on how to install it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:14:41 am by nixxon »

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 10:35:22 am »
:-DD
I do have to admit I measured the resistance of my beer once... :scared:

My beer has zero resistance :D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 01:29:53 pm »
And the crystal photo is also ripped off from here:
http://www.gustate.net/tag/como-curar-la-sinusitis/

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 03:06:48 pm »

All the photos are actually grabbed from other web sites if you search on https://images.google.com/

Offline Asmyldof

• Regular Contributor
  • Freelancer - Persnicketist - Do'er of stuff
    • Asmyldof's Home. It's old, not quite impressive, but it's there.
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 03:19:06 pm »

At least that source website is mainly based on bullshit as well, so at least it's stolen within the same theme of phoolery.
If it's a puzzle, I want to solve it.
If it's a problem, I need to solve it.
If it's an equation... mjeh, I've got Matlab
(not really though, Matlab annoys me).

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 03:29:03 pm »
An energy project so pathetic that no one even had to break out a cocktail napkin and dull golf pencil to debunk it.  I'd like to think the "industry" has hit rock-bottom, but I'm sure we'll see worse. 

Offline funfairEE

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 06:57:36 pm »
Am I the only person that thinks this hole project is a parody? It is like they are making fun of themselves it has to be a joke.

Offline Poolkeeper

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:09 pm »
I am mostly reading and learning from the forums but this have made my day.

There is a linked news article from the IndiGogo site under Update 1. Extract from the streetinsider.com article (read all of it if you have time, it is really hilarious):

"Through a special process, each photovoltaic cell is able to use this areas to intelligently allow and stop energy flow from and to the fibre conductor avoiding a shortcut chaos. Most importantly, each cell will re-route energy coming from the fibre to the magnetic north. This is the way by which instead of thousands of possible destinations, the flow of energy always finds its way to the magnetic North where the conductor will end and the electric current will be trapped by a special copper wire."

Cheers,
Tom

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 08:28:18 pm »
I am mostly reading and learning from the forums but this have made my day.

There is a linked news article from the IndiGogo site under Update 1. Extract from the streetinsider.com article (read all of it if you have time, it is really hilarious):

"Through a special process, each photovoltaic cell is able to use this areas to intelligently allow and stop energy flow from and to the fibre conductor avoiding a shortcut chaos. Most importantly, each cell will re-route energy coming from the fibre to the magnetic north. This is the way by which instead of thousands of possible destinations, the flow of energy always finds its way to the magnetic North where the conductor will end and the electric current will be trapped by a special copper wire."

Streetinsider basically publishes PR. The question: do they pay for the PR, or do they charge advertising rates for the PR?

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 08:54:34 pm »
[...] Most importantly, each cell will re-route energy coming from the fibre to the magnetic north. This is the way by which instead of thousands of possible destinations, the flow of energy always finds its way to the magnetic North where the conductor will end and the electric current will be trapped by a special copper wire [...]

These sort of people make me go depressed for spending many hours on an honest job, earning too little money in my opinion  >:(

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 08:55:57 pm »
Hey guys, I have a GREAT IDEA! What we basically need is a DEBUNKING site for crowd-sourced projects, something like:

IndieNoNo

-and-

KickScammer

Basically these 2 sites would DUPLICATE the URL of the legitimate IndieGogo and KickStarter sites and essentially show a screenshot of the REAL campaign page and then allow full unfettered access to post comments below for each project. People would need to login to post, but otherwise the purpose of the debunking sites would be to try and increase the RANKING in Google to present another landing page for the campaign and offer a place for comments by engineers, scientists and any skeptics.

So....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solarlayer-every-surface-is-a-solar-panel

...would be....

https://www.indienono.com/projects/solarlayer-every-surface-is-a-solar-panel

The site would allow people to create a DEBUNK page to essentially MIRROR the actual campaign and hence the almost identical URL. It would be easy and avoid duplications of people submitting or creating "threads" so to speak.

So? Anyone want to start something like this? How would it be funded? Probably ad revenue.

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 09:05:19 pm »
Both URLs are taken by squatters. And also, there is no need to do this. There always be people who believe in this sort of junk. Let them be burned.
Alex

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 09:31:08 pm »
Both URLs are taken by squatters. And also, there is no need to do this. There always be people who believe in this sort of junk. Let them be burned.

Yes, you are right. People will learn... maybe the hard way. A few bucks to get burned and then you never do it again. Still, those domains (if they are cheap to buy) and some simple back-end programming for commenting/blog posting may actually not be a bad business idea for someone.

I do enjoy the EEVBlog forums for this kind of stuff!
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:18 pm »
Now all of the silly photos have been removed from the indiegogo campaign.

The guy responsible calls himself Lucas Cervigni and a portrait photo is included. He is supposed to have 123 facebook friends. When I visit his profile at facebook, I cannot find any friends at all. There are only 2 photos;  the same portrait photo as on indiegogo and a picture of the interior of a big & fancy white room at 30 Park Place in NY.

Even the picture of the big, fancy room is grabbed from the internet: http://www.thepinkwaterreport.com/the-union-of-art-real-estate-in-nyc/ Picture text: "30 Park Place, showing Penthouse Interior"

or http://www.thirtyparkplace.com/

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 10:51:14 pm »
The campaign only raised $215 so far, possibly from acquaintances of the "Creator". I don't see them reaching anywhere close to $100,000. They have FLEXIBLE FUNDING which means they will keep whatever they get, even if they never reach anywhere close to $100,000.

The only perks claimed are a centimeter of road in London and New York, which is just "fluff". Not even any of their gimmicky corporate-branded promo garbage is being requested... like mugs, T-shirts, pens, power chargers, wrist-bands and other crap. They would need a minimum order to buy these items from a promotional items catalog and get their logo printed on them, so if only 2 people order a phone case or slim power bank, there is no way they are going to send you a "branded" one (maybe they will print some stickers on their inkjet and stick it on).

So at best, you may get some branded (or plain) swag, and at worst you will get nothing and they will be off with your money. However, this campaign seems relatively harmless as far as money-skimming so far. Let's hope it stays that way.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 10:59:27 pm »
Better yet, *IF* the nanotechnology to actually build the particles in this solar paint actually existed, it still wouldn't work if implemented as described, because if any significant current was drawn it would distort the local geomagnetic field, rearranging the interconnections.   If you didn't let it adapt by rearranging the interconnections, I believe it wouldn't cope well with micro scale physical damage so its output would rapidly degrade due to weathering and ordinary wear.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:48 pm »
Am I the only person that thinks this hole project is a parody? It is like they are making fun of themselves it has to be a joke.

The thing is though, at least the concept is based on a real thing, Solar paint is not new, it's a branch of nano organic photovoltaics, and a lot of research has been done in this area.
But of course it's obvious this mad haven't clue. You without having worked on it for 4 years and not have any real prototype or demonstration to show.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 11:16:13 pm »
Now all of the silly photos have been removed from the indiegogo campaign.

They are indeed gone!
Lucky I kept the one with the multimeter

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 11:21:06 pm »
Hey guys, I have a GREAT IDEA! What we basically need is a DEBUNKING site for crowd-sourced projects, something like:
IndieNoNo
KickScammer
Basically these 2 sites would DUPLICATE the URL of the legitimate IndieGogo and KickStarter sites and essentially show a screenshot of the REAL campaign page and then allow full unfettered access to post comments below for each project. People would need to login to post, but otherwise the purpose of the debunking sites would be to try and increase the RANKING in Google to present another landing page for the campaign and offer a place for comments by engineers, scientists and any skeptics.
So....
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solarlayer-every-surface-is-a-solar-panel
...would be....
https://www.indienono.com/projects/solarlayer-every-surface-is-a-solar-panel
The site would allow people to create a DEBUNK page to essentially MIRROR the actual campaign and hence the almost identical URL. It would be easy and avoid duplications of people submitting or creating "threads" so to speak.
So? Anyone want to start something like this? How would it be funded? Probably ad revenue.

Brilliant idea!
Not sure how chuffed they will be to have their sites scrapped like that though.
Would probably only need a $5/month shared server, traffic would not be huge.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2015, 01:15:12 am »
Yup! And the leads are in the wrong jacks and it's turned off!  :-DD

Oh my god! Such stupidity in one photo. Expecting anyone to take 'road measurement' seriously, massive meter fail, vest on backwards, the vest and shiny new hardhat both just out of the box...
The only thing they seem to have succeeded at, is someone knows how to tie a bow knot.

I didn't think there was a level of technical illiteracy high enough to plug the leads in the "10A" and "V-ohms-mA" jacks, and neglect to turn it on. Maybe they reasoned that if it was on it would be reading "0.00" and someone might notice.
For those who wisely don't own that model, here's a closeup. Yes, the leads break like that.

I didn't look through the rest of the site. Did anyone notice if the guy holding the meter appears in any other shots? If not, did they actually pay for an actor? Ha ha as if. Or just wheedle someone they knew to play in the photoshoot?
If that guy isn't involved in the scam, it's faintly possible he deliberately set the meter leads wrong to make fun of them. Faiintly... but no, the vest on backwards, and the cameraman noticing nothing wrong surely indicate imbeciles all round.

This is all so disappointing. You'd expect scammers to at least be fairly cunning and spin an interesting yarn. Like that guy with the vortex coils. That was fun. These guys don't even seem to have a pretty girlfriend.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline sysmatt

• my "Personal Text"
    • My crappy outdated blog that i never update.
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2015, 01:49:37 am »
The hokey pokey multimeter in street sooo reminds me of this little chestnut...

"Trite catch phrase!"

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2015, 02:30:43 am »
I didn't look through the rest of the site. Did anyone notice if the guy holding the meter appears in any other shots? If not, did they actually pay for an actor? Ha ha as if. Or just wheedle someone they knew to play in the photoshoot?

I thought it looked like the inventor himself?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf