Author Topic: Fonkraft modular smartphone  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Fantasma25Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fonkraft modular smartphone
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:44:10 pm »
Hello! So I found this modular smartphone at Indiegogo. It sounded cool at first, but once I gave it a second thought, soooo many problems started to come into my mind (I should state that there is not a single technical specification in their page). The first problem I see is the pin count of the CPU and the RAM memory modules. The renders they have show 10 pin "slots" and a module can occupy 1 or more slots. They show a CPU and RAM modules occupying a single slot, meaning that they have exactly 10 pins to provide voltage and communication. How the hell are they going to make an ARM multi-core, multi-GHZ CPU communicate with the rest of the phone with only 10 bloody pins?!! The same goes with the RAM! And that's the first of the problems I see. Another one is that (as I stated before) they explain ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the electronics that are inside the phone (they don't even show a prototype). I sincerely have my doubts if they have an actual EE there. What do you think? Here is the link https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fonkraft-modular-smartphone/x/10667681#home

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Fonkraft modular smartphone
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:50:31 pm »
Hello! So I found this modular smartphone at Indiegogo. It sounded cool at first, but once I gave it a second thought, soooo many problems started to come into my mind (I should state that there is not a single technical specification in their page). The first problem I see is the pin count of the CPU and the RAM memory modules. The renders they have show 10 pin "slots" and a module can occupy 1 or more slots. They show a CPU and RAM modules occupying a single slot, meaning that they have exactly 10 pins to provide voltage and communication. How the hell are they going to make an ARM multi-core, multi-GHZ CPU communicate with the rest of the phone with only 10 bloody pins?!! The same goes with the RAM! And that's the first of the problems I see. Another one is that (as I stated before) they explain ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the electronics that are inside the phone (they don't even show a prototype). I sincerely have my doubts if they have an actual EE there. What do you think? Here is the link https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fonkraft-modular-smartphone/x/10667681#home

Already funded. People want to believe ...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:00:09 pm »

Already funded. People want to believe ...

Yeah... I noticed (yesterday they were at like 70%) x_x  |O

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:17:45 pm »
Those guys sure know how to use a 3D editor.
Alex

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:33:44 pm »
Reminds me of Project Ara and Modu.

The problem is that the life time of the technology, including the common carrier is short.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 02:03:01 am »
The page you are looking for is no longer available or has been moved.
Has it been pulled?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 02:17:35 am »
Has it been pulled?

Seems that way, I got the same result and it was working a couple of hours ago.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 03:00:55 am »
Has it been pulled?

Seems that way, I got the same result and it was working a couple of hours ago.

Maybe their indiegogo campaign ended :/ but here is their website http://fonkraft.com/

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 03:11:59 am »
google cache shows they still had 42 days to go and it was fully funded in just 3 days.

So something is up.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 03:20:36 am »
google cache shows they still had 42 days to go and it was fully funded in just 3 days.

So something is up.

Well... there's a smelly smell here... here are my reasons to suspect
1. It's super cheap ($99 USD for a really good phone)
2. Their "team" has only 2 members and none of them is an electronics engineer
3. They are in the "prototype phase", yet they have no prototype
4. They claim that people can develop modules for the phone, yet there are no technical specifications at all
5. They rely on 3rd parties to develop the modules
6. Their indiegogo campaign suddenly disappeared
7. They only show renders and a really crappy 3d printed model with a detachable display

I can go on, but you see my point...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 04:26:48 pm »

So something is up.

Well, well, well... I just looked them up again and apparently Indiegogo shut their campaign down because it was "too risky"... I wonder why? (sarcasm)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf