Products > Crowd Funded Projects

openvizsla......... still......

(1/18) > >>

Smokey:
I don't think any hardware forum section dedicated to crowd funding would really be complete without talking about openvizsla at least a little bit. 
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bushing/openvizsla-open-source-usb-protocol-analyzer?ref=card

Asked for $17500..... Raised $81025.... 463%..... on Dec 22, 2010.... People are still waiting....

What happened?  From what I can tell they got in way over their head technically and instead of getting help they just kept floundering.... for years.....  Then they mostly stopped communicating with the backers or anyone.  No updated for long periods of time.  Their twitter feed which they linked has... 0.... posts.  The updates they did release showed the silly amateur PCB mistakes that would have never gotten past a real design review.  I guess when they said "we certainly have enough peer review within our team (of highly experienced embedded and EE experts)"  they must have been printing their own business cards.  It appears like they are still working on something, but all the updates are private.

What can we learn from this?  If you are not just running a scam and you take people's money you better be sure you can deliver what you say you are going to deliver.  Plus it's stupid to call something open source if you aren't going to... well... open the source from the beginning.  Just look at this forum.  Someone posts a schematic and within hours has the feedback of a handful of professional engineers.  For free.  It's one thing if you are going to make a product and sell it closed, but if you are going to advertize as open then why not take full advantage of the community that comes along with an open project.

I love this last comment (May-9-2013):
"According to the U.S. BLS my $250 in 2010 dollars is now worth $266.87. If I had invested that in Google on Dec 22, 2010 I would have $362. If I had flushed that money down the toilet I'd have the same thing I have right now."

EEVblog:
I believe that "bushing" who ran the campaign is the same person as on this fourm. i.e. the one who originally did the Rigol hack.

Rasz:
The sad thing is this project was attractive in 2010, it was still attractive in 2011, in 2012 it became redundant (3.0 became ubiquitous), and today it would be an outdated toy.

swSteve:

Hi

Wouldn't a USB2.0 analyzer unit still be useful since
even USB3 devices of interest
could be tested while connected to a USB2 host?

Steve

Rasz:

--- Quote from: swSteve on May 28, 2013, 09:20:13 am ---
Hi

Wouldn't a USB2.0 analyzer unit still be useful since
even USB3 devices of interest
could be tested while connected to a USB2 host?

Steve

--- End quote ---

Give me an example of 3 devices you would need to debug USB 2.0 communications today (and its impossible to do in virtual machine or using Wireshark/USBlyzer).
I can come up with only one (new kinect at the end of the year) and it will be USB 3.0 only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version