Author Topic: PCBGRIP: Making it easier to assemble electronics.  (Read 30939 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: PCBGRIP: Making it easier to assemble electronics.
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 01:02:06 am »
I know you are marketing it towards PCB/electronics, but as I do a little modelling on the side, a version of that thing might be of interest to modellers to hold projects. You might think about another version for that market.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 02:38:23 am »
I think it looks neat.  I am tempted to back it, but I have such a bitter taste in my mouth with every Kickstarter project going way over time by at least months, and usually a year or so.  I just don't want to ride that train this time around.  However, I hope you will keep the site posted when you get these made and I will happily buy one at that time :)
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 06:40:30 am »
With the rotating head that locks every 90 degrees, how well does it hold if it isn't at one of the "indexed" positions? if it isn't very well, how much harder would it be to test at every 45 degrees?

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 07:37:43 am »
PCDGRIP,

Can you extend the EARLY SPECIAL KIT 700 option?
I'm late, all of them are gone.

Offline PCBGRIPTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 01:15:00 pm »
With the rotating head that locks every 90 degrees, how well does it hold if it isn't at one of the "indexed" positions? if it isn't very well, how much harder would it be to test at every 45 degrees?

On the side of the hinge assembly there is a M8 brass thumb screw that can be tightened to lock the head in at any position.  It's quite a beefy  'thumb' screw with a large knurled head.  When the thumb screw is tightened, the head is lock quite nicely, at any angle. 

The outer part of the hinge assembly actually has 4(four) M8 female threads, one hole on each face.  I did it this way so that the index pin (the spring loaded one in the pictures/videos with a black knob, which has M8 male threads) can be located in any one of the four positions.  Also the M8 thumb screw could be moved to any side (perhaps left v. right handed for example).  Who knows, maybe someone well come up with a part that they can bolt into one of the empty M8 holes to help them do what they want. 

I'm a bit of a hand tool junkie and have a very low tolerance for poorly made tools.

Sorry, no.  It would not be fair to the people who have backed the regular KIT 700 so far.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 01:47:38 pm »

Sorry, no.  It would not be fair to the people who have backed the regular KIT 700 so far.

Of course. There wasn't any KIT 700 backed when I looked at it.

Thank you.

Offline bronson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 06:24:55 pm »
That's funny that the expensive kits went first.  The only early deal left is the cheapest one.

I had to back it even though I already have the Panavise.  I must say, pcbgrip looks even more fiddly to use (thumbscrews galore!).  But, dammit, pcbgrip uses openbeam.  That's just rad.  Even if I don't use it for soldering PCBs (who knows) there's no doubt I'll have lots of uses for it.

It's like buying a lego kit for the parts.  Open the box and throw away the instructions.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 10:12:27 pm »
This does look like a really handy kit. I'm particularly challenged when it comes to TH soldering - unlike Mike it's not very easy for me at all, even with a panavise and some clamps. So much so that I actively avoid through-hole designs when I can.

I've backed a lot of projects this past 12 months and need to slow down a bit for a while :) but I'll keep an eye on this one and maybe pick up a post-campaign kit later.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 12:44:16 am »
And I really have no self-control :(

I'm in for the Kit 100.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 01:40:37 am »

I'm in for the Kit 100.

You haven't had the greatest track record have you?
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline RJSC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:33 am »
Very handy product.
Would buy one for sure if it wasn't so expensive.

But for people around here who buy Fluke multimeters and Tek DSO's, shouldn't be a problem.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 07:23:29 am »

I'm in for the Kit 100.

You haven't had the greatest track record have you?

Hmm, this one makes project #49 on Kickstarter (plus 4 on IGG). There is only one that I doubt will never deliver (well I don't count muOptics or Rustic Puff because I was able to get refunds / chargebacks on them), and that one was only an $8 pledge.

So the track record isn't too horrible.

This one is something that I will legitimately use on a regular basis I think.

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 02:19:03 pm »
I've actually been pretty lucky [on Kickstarter (73 projects)], I managed to pull out of a number of projects before the close, and those projects have all failed to deliver. Meanwhile the ones I've stuck with have pretty much all delivered [though usually late]. At this stage I have no reason to believe PCBGRIP won't deliver, even close to being on time.

In IGG it has been a different story, I've backed 3 projects, and only one delivered. [That one was my local hackerspace fundraiser, so I knew it would deliver, and it didn't matter as it was not about the perk] Mu and CryptX2 were the others. Got a refund on Mu, and CryptX2 is dead. I may take the CryptX2 schematics, fix them up, and do the PCB myself, as it's not all that complex of a design.

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 03:30:24 pm »
Once you launch a Kickstarter campaign, the owner of the project is provided with basic dashboard to see where traffic to the site is coming from.  I wanted to let you know that I really appreciate the support received from this forum, it is much appreciated!

If any one has concerns about the project, my offer in reply #23 above still stands.

I also just loaded new files to GrabCad, this time Rigol probe clamps for the lower end of the probe.  Just gives another option when holding scope probes.  The files can be found here:

https://grabcad.com/library/pcbgrip-oscilloscope-probe-clamp-rigol-lower-1

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 12:42:35 am »
If any one has concerns about the project, my offer in reply #23 above still stands.

I was tempted to back this, but I can't see me needing it at this point, so I will buy after the product gets released afterwards ;)  However I was tempted to take a road trip to TO (I'm in Montreal), but I was waiting to see if there was anyone in TO that was going to take you up on your offer instead.

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 03:48:40 pm »
Someone from this forum stepped up to meet with me next week and take a look.  I'll let them identify themselves if the want to.

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 04:06:46 pm »
hehe,  I was just about to post.

So PCBGRIP and I are planning on meeting up at a local hacker space on Tuesday evening so that I can get a eyes/hands on with the product. I'll in turn post my impressions here after.  If anyone has any specific thing they want me to look for/at please let me know.

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 05:27:55 pm »
If anyone has any specific thing they want me to look for/at please let me know.
Please check how rigid this thing really is. PCB in the front and then touch it slightly, like a soldering iron would, or maybe a bit stronger. Does it wiggle around? The lever is quite long, so the hinge assembly must be really sturdy to keep it steady.

Is the stencil holder idea realistic for fine pitch soldering applications (0,5mm pitch, µBGA,...)? You need to be able to align the stencil really precise and it must stay this way to be of any use.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 05:42:10 pm »
Use the probe holder and with "real" scope probe that has cable with it, not just using replacement stiff object like pen or pencil. Cause the probe's cable does put some stress on the grip too.

Point and touch the probe tip at one of the IC's or component's pin as you going to measure it, how easy it is to put the tip to touch "and secure" at the measurement contact point, while not easily moved once its in place.

A short video would be handy.

Offline bronson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 04:21:09 am »
If anyone has any specific thing they want me to look for/at please let me know.
Please check how rigid this thing really is. PCB in the front and then touch it slightly, like a soldering iron would, or maybe a bit stronger. Does it wiggle around? The lever is quite long, so the hinge assembly must be really sturdy to keep it steady.

Is the stencil holder idea realistic for fine pitch soldering applications (0,5mm pitch, µBGA,...)? You need to be able to align the stencil really precise and it must stay this way to be of any use.

Great questions.  Me, I'm interested in the thumbscrews.  Threads tapped into Al are always so soft and lame.  So, are the screws nice and positive and provide a solid bite into the rails?  Or are they a little squidgy and leave things slightly loose?

How hard is it to swap PCBs?  The video didn't make it look very easy (which would be a showstopper for stenciling).

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 04:02:13 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly try to cover them.  The eyes/hands on has been delayed due to a personal emergency on my part. I'm going to try and set up another time later in the week once the dust settles over here.

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 01:44:41 pm »
Hopefully CanadianAvenger and I will meet up soon, but in the mean time, I wanted to try and answer some of the questions raised.

I just posted an update video on the Kickstarter page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2065435222/pcbgrip-electronics-assembly-system/posts

In the second video we show how a probe could be set up on an IC pin.  While it is 'only' a Rigol probe it gives a sense of the process.  Also, should it be required, which it definatly is not for the Rigol probe, just add your own cord strain relief as seen in the video.

Also in the second video, we place a soldering station on the end of the extrusion to give you a sense of PCBGRIP's rigidity.  The station weights about 1.1Kg.

When doing stenciling, the PCB needs to be held above the surface of the extrusion.  There is a part we call a 'Standoff which securely holds the PCB in place and it is quite easy to remove the PCB and put in a new one.  We will work on a quick video to demo this too.

Me, I'm interested in the thumbscrews.  Threads tapped into Al are always so soft and lame.

Where the proper material hasn't been selected, I agree.  We choose to use 6061-T651 AL which holds a thread quite nicely.  Also, the threads are fine pitch which maximizes the contact surface area.  The combination of the two eliminates the 'lameness'
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:03:21 pm by PCBGRIP »

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 02:04:54 pm »
As a side note, in shooting these videos, I've gained a new found appreciation for Dave's ability to keep body parts from obstructing what you want to show.  Dave makes it look easier than it is. :-+

Offline taemun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 02:56:26 pm »
@PCBGRIP just a couple notes on the videos:
1. Your opening title card is 4:3 aspect (the black bars at the sides look weird), and you're putting text under Kickstarter's video bar:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35484802/PCBGRIP.PNG
2. The (?royalty free) music gets a bit wearing when I go through and watch all of the videos in succession.

You've suggested using the PCBGRIP to hold off PCBs in a reflow oven, what will the thermal expansion of the various pieces have to say about this? There's at least stainless steel, aluminium and FR4 in the mix here.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, how much componentless edge keepout do I need to hold a PCB in the OpenBeam?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:00:05 pm by taemun »

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 03:57:20 pm »
Also in the second video, we place a soldering station on the end of the extrusion to give you a sense of PCBGRIP's rigidity.  The station weights about 1.1Kg.
Thanks for showing that. I'm convinced. Just pleged for the 700 kit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf