ESP-WROOM-02 (Wi-Fi)
1 (50%)
HM-BT4502(A) (BLE)
0 (0%)
Show me the results
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: May 19, 2022, 07:24:53 pm

Author Topic: PlainDAQ - open source DAQ module for Raspberry Pi Pico  (Read 25217 times)

Offline palpurulTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
PlainDAQ - open source DAQ module for Raspberry Pi Pico
« on: February 14, 2022, 07:31:10 am »
Hello,

I've pre-launched another project on crowdsupply. It's a simple open-source DAQ module for the Raspberry Pico.

Subscibe to PlainDAQ, if you want to get notified when we go live: https://www.crowdsupply.com/kuncu-teknoloji/plaindaq

It's a simple board with 4 analog inputs and a single analog output, hence the PlainDAQ  :D, I still doubt if it's a good name for a product.  :-\. It can also output +/- supply voltage for powering circuits that need symmetrical power supply. Optionally it comes with ESP-WROOM-02 (wi-fi) module.

Here are the updated pictures! 👇👇👇

Brief:

Components:

Now Let's talk about the precision stuff  :D :D
Note: I will update this section as I verify any specifications that is specified right now.

The PCB is on its way, right now it's stuck in the customs for some reason  :-//

Analog Inputs:
  • 12-bit resolution
  • Max. 500 ksps samling rate
  • SNR, ENOB, noise: To be determined
  • Differential Input ADC (Increase noise immunity)[/i]
  • 4 high-impedance buffered channels (low bias current)
  • 4 bipolar ranges. ±0.5 V, ±1 V, ±2 V, ±4 V
  • Auto-offset calibration
  • Bandwidth: To be determined

Voltage Reference:
  • 2.5 V, 20 ppm/°C (Typical) Drift
  • Calibrate to 0.05 %, Stored in as ROM as calibration data

Analog Output:
  • Single channel
  • Buffered low-impedance output
  • 10-bit resolution
  • SNR, ENOB, noise: To be determined
  • Max. 50 ksps samling rate
  • Bandwidth: To be determined

Bipolar Voltage Supply:
  • +/-5V supply voltage
  • +/-100mA current rating

I am trying to make it as cheap as possible while trying to provide a semi-precision DAQ unit that can be used with Raspberry Pi Pico, so I need to make some compromises between cost and accuracy, it's not very easy  ;D

PlainDAQ will communicate through USB to graph captured waveforms, I will prepare a simple GUI for that purpose. There are lots of things to make in the software side of things (both GUI and embedded). I’d like to list the thing that are not implemented, but will implemented in the future, I share progress log I there is a progress 😊

Things to implement/test:
  • USB speed test, gotta reach to at least 6Mbit/s (USB full speed runs 12Mhz ☹) Edit: 22.02.2022 7Mbit/s transder speed is achieved
  • Rising/Falling edge trigger
  • Graphing software
  • Simple Python scripting for controlling PlainDAQ
  • Measuring analog inputs’ SNR
  • Measuring analog output’s SNR
  • Measuring analog inputs’ bandwidth
  • Measuring analog output’s bandwidth
  • Measure the effect of ESP32's operation on SNR (Added on 14.02.2022, kudos to @Kean)
I will add to the list when I need to add a new feature based on feedback.

Tell me what you think. This is the first Crowdsupply project that I am running, wish me luck 😊.

PlainDAQ also comes with its GUI, here is a sneak-peek of the GUI:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 07:47:22 pm by palpurul »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, nhzx0110wxd

Online mikerj

• Super Contributor
Re: PlainDAQ - open source DAQ module for Raspberry Pi Pico
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:21:51 am »
Is there any kind of protection on the ADC and DAC pins to prevent damage from ESD and overvoltage?  This seems to be a common failing with basic DAQ designs, but is pretty essential for any real world use.

The following users thanked this post: palpurul

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 11:03:05 am »
Is there any kind of protection on the ADC and DAC pins to prevent damage from ESD and overvoltage?  This seems to be a common failing with basic DAQ designs, but is pretty essential for any real world use.

This is the first prototype, honestly at this stage I was rushing to have my hands on something working, so omitted input protection on the board shown in the pictures.

I will keep your suggestion in mind and next revision will include input protections.

Thank you for your suggestion. These kind of feedbacks really help.  :-+

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 12:38:47 pm »
This looks interesting.  Will you be publishing the schematic?  That will help some users like me to understand suitability for an application.

I'd be interested in whether you see any increased noise (lower ENOB) when used with the optional ESP32 & WiFi, assuming the ESP32 is meant to mount on the back of the PCB.  Especially with the 14-bit ADC option.

Just a suggestion - You may want to spend a little extra time on assembly for the next sample PCB.  The soldering is a bit rough on the above pictures, and some of the terminal pins aren't even soldered.

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 01:13:26 pm »
This looks interesting.  Will you be publishing the schematic?  That will help some users like me to understand suitability for an application.
It's all open-source. I will release the whole KiCAD project. I will also release all of the firmware that I wrote for it.

I'd be interested in whether you see any increased noise (lower ENOB) when used with the optional ESP32 & WiFi, assuming the ESP32 is meant to mount on the back of the PCB.  Especially with the 14-bit ADC option.
That's an interesting point. I've never thought about it actually, it would probably increase the noise. Obviously this increase is going to be more pronounced at higher resolution as you pointed out. ESP32 module is something that I added just before the pre-launch page is released, actually the boards that you see in my post does not include the ESP32 module yet, It's for another update. The board is a 4-layer board and the ESP32 module will be on the bottom side, so maybe ground plane would help to combat this issue.
Anyways, it's going to be fun to test it and I will definitely post the results here  ;D (added to Things to implement/test list)

Just a suggestion - You may want to spend a little extra time on assembly for the next sample PCB.  The soldering is a bit rough on the above pictures, and some of the terminal pins aren't even soldered.
I know a person with a keen eye would someday notice the flaws in my hand assembly, you are first, so congrats  :D
I didn't solder all of the pins because I had a single sample at the time I was taking the pictures and I needed it take its pictures of it with and without the raspberry pi pico on top, and therefore I left most of the pins unsoldered.
Excuses excuses I know.  :-//

Consider subscribing to mailing. I will post any updates here, but if you want to get notified you can sub here :-+

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 02:00:01 pm »
It's all open-source. I will release the whole KiCAD project. I will also release all of the firmware that I wrote for it.

Great!

That's an interesting point. I've never thought about it actually, it would probably increase the noise. Obviously this increase is going to be more pronounced at higher resolution as you pointed out. ESP32 module is something that I added just before the pre-launch page is released, actually the boards that you see in my post does not include the ESP32 module yet, It's for another update. The board is a 4-layer board and the ESP32 module will be on the bottom side, so maybe ground plane would help to combat this issue.

Yes, it looked to me that the current footprint on the back looks like one for a BLE module not ESP32-MINI.  My main concern with the ESP32 would be current paths as the ESP32 chip can draw quite a bit when transmitting.  Depending on the application it may be possible to avoid ADC conversions during application based transmission, but not all due to the nature of TCP/IP & WiFi.

I didn't solder all of the pins because I had a single sample at the time I was taking the pictures and I needed it take its pictures of it with and without the raspberry pi pico on top, and therefore I left most of the pins unsoldered.
Excuses excuses I know.  :-//

Reasonable excuses.  No point making too many prototypes when you are planning another revision soon.

Consider subscribing to mailing. I will post any updates here, but if you want to get notified you can sub here :-+

Haha, already done on both projects - but this one is of more interest to me right now.  Always plenty of applications for DAQ here.

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 06:51:27 pm »
Yes, it looked to me that the current footprint on the back looks like one for a BLE module not ESP32-MINI
Good catch! It was BLE module from RAYTAC. It is almost unobtanium right now, so switched to ESP32s.
Reasonable excuses.  No point making too many prototypes when you are planning another revision soon.
Thanks!
My main concern with the ESP32 would be current paths as the ESP32 chip can draw quite a bit when transmitting.  Depending on the application it may be possible to avoid ADC conversions during application based transmission, but not all due to the nature of TCP/IP & WiFi.
Yes they are quite power hungry, can go up to 320mA as datasheet specifies. It's probably not constant current draw, most certainly large spikes of currents which makes it even more important in terms of conserving SNR.
Haha, already done on both projects - but this one is of more interest to me right now.  Always plenty of applications for DAQ here.
Means a lot to me, thanks! I keep posting update once I made some interesting progress!  :-+

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 03:36:15 pm »
Progress!
PlainDAQ needs transfer lots of data and it's gotta do it fast.

I wanted to test how fast I can tranfer data via USB. I used two raspberry pi pico's one of them doing the debugging and the other is doing the actual work.

Ultimately I am going to need to transfer 6MBit/s of data from pico to computer (12-bit 500ksps ADC = 6Mbits/s)

The Test Setup

Pico on the lower side of the picture is debugging and the other is the DUT (device under test)

USB Speed Test

The USB is in bulk transfer mode. I don't really know much about inner workings of the USB protocol, but it allows me to send 64 bytes at a time, and therefore I needed be clever about transferring 1000s of 64 bytes packages.

I imported the the example code provided in raspberry pi's github page and modified it in a way that I can receive multiple packages easily. To do that I erased every print statement (they are SLOW!) and implemented a counter to keep track of number of packages sent.

You can check my code here. I also included the python file to work with it as well.

And finally, here are the results:

I can reach up to more than 7Mbits/s. The speed depends on your setup as well. For example, if you use a hub it's slower.

I can't really complain about this. I don't think I can go faster than this because at the end of the day USB full-speed works at 12 MHz.

Did anyone managed get more than 7Mbits/s? I am curious.

That's it for this update!

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 01:02:13 pm »
To get higher throughput you could potentially use some simple compression.  A lot of ADC data at high data rates may just be varying by small amounts due to noise, unless of course you are actually measuring a signal that is some decent fraction the bandwidth limit.

If you are packing 12-bit data already, you could use some other scheme to pack small changes in smaller number of bits.  I'm sure there is a variation on RLE or similar which can compress the noise in a lossless way.  It is a trade off between processing speed vs communications speed vs use case.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 11:07:37 pm »
I can reach up to more than 7Mbits/s. The speed depends on your setup as well. For example, if you use a hub it's slower.

I can't really complain about this. I don't think I can go faster than this because at the end of the day USB full-speed works at 12 MHz.

Did anyone managed get more than 7Mbits/s? I am curious.

I'm curious as well. What kind of driver are you using on the PC side?

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 07:04:23 am »
To get higher throughput you could potentially use some simple compression.  A lot of ADC data at high data rates may just be varying by small amounts due to noise, unless of course you are actually measuring a signal that is some decent fraction the bandwidth limit.
I've never thought about using compression because I know nothing about it. If you could tell me where I should start, I would be more than happy  :)

If you are packing 12-bit data already, you could use some other scheme to pack small changes in smaller number of bits.  I'm sure there is a variation on RLE or similar which can compress the noise in a lossless way.  It is a trade off between processing speed vs communications speed vs use case.
I'm not sure what RLE is  :-//

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 07:10:24 am »
I'm curious as well. What kind of driver are you using on the PC side?
I'm not really sure, I used python USB module maybe that means that I am using whatever the default driver is... I don't have the board with mw right now once I got my hands on it, I am going to look into it.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2022, 07:43:35 am »
Yeah, I'm not an expert on compression.  It can get into heavy mathematics beyond my pay grade quite quickly.

RLE is a simple compression scheme which can work well with data that has a lot of repeated values in a series, such that it stores the values and repeat counts.  It is /was commonly used in simple image formats where a lot of a single background color may be present.  Fax machines used something similar.  It is easy to implement and pretty fast, but when used with certain data it could increase the overall size in which case you just send the original uncompressed data.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_encoding

Maybe Deflate compression as used in the original PKZIP (a bit more complex).  A lossless audio codec may be quite suitable as they are also waveforms.

There are plenty of options without re-inventing the wheel, but I don't know enough to make a recommendation.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_compression

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2022, 08:50:02 am »
Yeah, I'm not an expert on compression.  It can get into heavy mathematics beyond my pay grade quite quickly.

RLE is a simple compression scheme which can work well with data that has a lot of repeated values in a series, such that it stores the values and repeat counts.  It is /was commonly used in simple image formats where a lot of a single background color may be present.  Fax machines used something similar.  It is easy to implement and pretty fast, but when used with certain data it could increase the overall size in which case you just send the original uncompressed data.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_encoding

Maybe Deflate compression as used in the original PKZIP (a bit more complex).  A lossless audio codec may be quite suitable as they are also waveforms.

There are plenty of options without re-inventing the wheel, but I don't know enough to make a recommendation.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_compression

I will look into into, that going to be really usefull for me becuase I am plaining to transder 14-bit 500 ksps (7Mbits) data through USB full-speed for another project.
The most important thing here is how easy they are to implement in a microcontroller. I'll definitely look into it. As you mentioned I'm sure that there are many implementations I can find on github :)

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 06:37:53 am »
UPDATE, FIRST STEP IN DEVELOPING GUI.

I decided to start developing the GUI because it made sense to develop the GUI to some extend to start measuring SNR, Bandwdith, accuracy etc, but before that I needed to know how matplotlib is going to perform under stress and I wrote a simple script to run stress test.

Let me know if you have any suggestions about developing the GUI, do you think 20 FPS is enough for such application? What other easy-to-use options to use for developing GUI?

The script generates a 2000 sample long sinewave + noise and tries to update the screen every millisecond. It can achieve 60 FPS, although is not very consistent, but I think this is enough for developing a GUI for plainDAQ.

If you need performance using matplotlib use animation and blitting, they make things considerably faster

I know that matplotlib is not meant to be used for such applications (real-time graphing), but it's easy to use and it runs quite smoothly at 20 FPS which I think is enough.

Here is the code. I am an hardware guy mostly, python is very new to me. I used examples provided by matplotlib mostly. If you're going to criticize my code, go easy on me  :D
Code: stress test code

Subscibe to PlainDAQ, if you want to get notified when we go live.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 07:04:28 am »
DAQ boards are usually used as part of some automated test setup. So being able to display the waveform like an oscilloscope is not that useful in most cases. Tho it is still an excellent demo program to show it working and quickly test it out.

What tends to be more important is being able to easily interface to it in the programing language of choice. So you want to use a driver library that has some multiplatform support, so that people using say C++ or C# can use it.

When it comes to matplotlib it is pretty performant since a lot of these chart libraries do the actual piloting in machine code DLLs rather than python. When it comes to hitches in performance this might actually the the fault of pythons garbage collector. Once you throw away enough allocated memory the garbage collector kicks in to reclaim it as free memory. If you built up a lot of garbage it can take a significant amount of time to clean up and during this time the program is paused. If that is a problem there are ways to manually run garbage collection before it gets too bad, or even better to write code in a way that generates less garbage.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, palpurul

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 07:30:36 am »
DAQ boards are usually used as part of some automated test setup. So being able to display the waveform like an oscilloscope is not that useful in most cases. Tho it is still an excellent demo program to show it working and quickly test it out.
Thanks for your feedback! I understand your point, but hear me out  :) I am also trying to build something really affordable for people to use as a basic oscilloscope/waveform gen/voltmeter maybe I can add some digital I/O for triggering etc. What I am trying to say is I am not trying build only a daq to be used in automated testing, I also want to offer a semi-precision, basic, all around tool and to support this I think a GUI can help to demonstrate these features. GUI can also help people to play with it as soon as they get their hands on PlainDAQ  :)

What tends to be more important is being able to easily interface to it in the programing language of choice. So you want to use a driver library that has some multiplatform support, so that people using say C++ or C# can use it.
I'll keep that in mind, that's an important suggestion for me. Building something multi platform would be quite difficult for me, I am writing almost everything in python at the software side and seems to be the most popular language in the maker community. Do you have a favorite DAQ module that comes with a good driver/API? It can be really helpful for me to get an idea about what people are used to in the industry.

When it comes to matplotlib it is pretty performant since a lot of these chart libraries do the actual piloting in machine code DLLs rather than python. When it comes to hitches in performance this might actually the the fault of pythons garbage collector. Once you throw away enough allocated memory the garbage collector kicks in to reclaim it as free memory. If you built up a lot of garbage it can take a significant amount of time to clean up and during this time the program is paused. If that is a problem there are ways to manually run garbage collection before it gets too bad, or even better to write code in a way that generates less garbage.
I am learning a lot from you! As I said before I am not too much of a software guy, but I am kind of eager to learn new territories. I have had no experience with garbage collection. I'll definitely look into learning basics of garbage collection in python or in general. At the end of the day there is a possibility for it to run faster after all?

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2022, 08:27:32 am »
The industry standard for test equipment automation is mostly VISA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_instrument_software_architecture
Even more compatibility can be achieved with using SCPI on top of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Commands_for_Programmable_Instruments

Thanks to these the same piece of PC test automation software can use a Keysight DMM, Fluke DMM or Keithley DMM without being specifically designed for any of them. The communication can even happen over GPIB, LAN, USB, RS232 ..etc and the automation software doesn't even know about it. The software simply asks to open connection to a device named for example "GPIB0::5::INSTR" and the VISA API will figure out where that piece of test equipment is and how to communicate with it. Once connected the connection looks pretty much like a serial port that can send and receive any data you want.

The neat thing is that since RS232 is one of the commonly supported VISA communication methods, means that any serial port can be set up to be a VISA device. This includes USB to UART chips that use the generic USB CDC driver. So if you also speak the SCPI protocol over that serial port your DAQ can be used with existing software that already uses DAQs from the big vendors like Keysight,Tek...etc

The way to use VISA is to just install your favorite implementation of VISA from a vendor like NI, Keysight, Rigol etc.. My personal favorite is the Keysight VISA implementation since it has a nice UI and some useful debugging tools to spy on the communication happening between devices. This does not lock you into only using Keysight gear, it talks to a Rigol DMM just fine (It just makes setting up some of the more complex GPIB or PXI stuff easier on Keysight branded equipment)

This compatibility goes both ways, so if your Python GUI uses VISA to talk to the instrument means that it can talk to other DAQ boards too, not just yours.

As for pythons garbage collection, very few people give it much attention since among the popular languages python is the slowest of them. It is a language that focuses on being easy and powerful rather than being performant. Java is faster, C# is even faster while both being garbage collected. Lower level languages like C and C++ are even faster and don't need garbage collection, but they are harder to use. My personal preference is C# because it comes with lots of modern language creature comforts, is still rather performant and comes with VisualStudio (Excellent free official IDE that makes GUI development super easy and has some of the best code autocomplete)

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 12:18:13 pm »
The industry standard for test equipment automation is mostly VISA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_instrument_software_architecture
Even more compatibility can be achieved with using SCPI on top of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Commands_for_Programmable_Instruments

Thanks to these the same piece of PC test automation software can use a Keysight DMM, Fluke DMM or Keithley DMM without being specifically designed for any of them. The communication can even happen over GPIB, LAN, USB, RS232 ..etc and the automation software doesn't even know about it. The software simply asks to open connection to a device named for example "GPIB0::5::INSTR" and the VISA API will figure out where that piece of test equipment is and how to communicate with it. Once connected the connection looks pretty much like a serial port that can send and receive any data you want.

The neat thing is that since RS232 is one of the commonly supported VISA communication methods, means that any serial port can be set up to be a VISA device. This includes USB to UART chips that use the generic USB CDC driver. So if you also speak the SCPI protocol over that serial port your DAQ can be used with existing software that already uses DAQs from the big vendors like Keysight,Tek...etc
The thing that I am wondering is that how they manage to transfer large measurement data to computer over serial terminal emulation (USB UART chips are not very fast). I also have a spectrum analyzer with USB 3.0 connection (RSA503A) I think it supports visa and SCPI and obviously it can manage very fast data transfer to PC. I thought all SCPI protocols are implement in serial terminal emulation.  :-//

The way to use VISA is to just install your favorite implementation of VISA from a vendor like NI, Keysight, Rigol etc.. My personal favorite is the Keysight VISA implementation since it has a nice UI and some useful debugging tools to spy on the communication happening between devices. This does not lock you into only using Keysight gear, it talks to a Rigol DMM just fine (It just makes setting up some of the more complex GPIB or PXI stuff easier on Keysight branded equipment)

This compatibility goes both ways, so if your Python GUI uses VISA to talk to the instrument means that it can talk to other DAQ boards too, not just yours.
I think I've used SCPI or visa with my DMM7510 in the past also in python. I used it in digitizer mode and acquired large data set for harmonic distortion evaluation. Maybe I can work on getting plainDAQ to work with it. It could be interesting, but again I am kind of aiming the hobby market as PlainDAQ seems more suitable for that spesific audience and I am not sure if I should prioritize getting PlainDAQ to be compatible with VISA or SCPI. Still it would be a serious addition!

As for pythons garbage collection, very few people give it much attention since among the popular languages python is the slowest of them. It is a language that focuses on being easy and powerful rather than being performant. Java is faster, C# is even faster while both being garbage collected. Lower level languages like C and C++ are even faster and don't need garbage collection, but they are harder to use. My personal preference is C# because it comes with lots of modern language creature comforts, is still rather performant and comes with VisualStudio (Excellent free official IDE that makes GUI development super easy and has some of the best code autocomplete)
Yes! I watched lots basic python tutorials, but none of them mentioned garbage collection. Even the term is very foreign to me right now.  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 12:23:18 pm by palpurul »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2022, 01:30:29 pm »
Well using SCPI is more about using an existing well supported protocol as opposed to creating a new proprietary protocol (that nobody is familiar with and requires specific software). Someone who is familiar with VISA will be right at home (quite a few people are since modern SCPI capable test gear is a lot more accessible cheep from ebay these days), if not they have to figure it out. With a proprietary protocol they always have to figure out how to use it.

Just because something is serial does not mean it is slow. For example TCP/IP connections look much like two machines connected by a serial port. Yet network file sharing will happily transfer at a speed of 1000 GB/s from your NAS server (provided you have a pretty beastly NAS and a 10Gbit network card). When using VISA over LAN it is also just a TCP/IP connection that will also transfer >1000 GB/s if the instrument you are connecting to is fast enough (Tho i never seen a 10Gbit network card on test equipment so far).

The thing that makes physical serial ports slow is the low baudrate they run at. However USB 2.0 HS always runs at 480Mbit. This includes USB to Serial dongles. The data gets sent to the dongle in 480Mbit bursts that get FIFO buffered by the dongle and sent out as UART at the desired baud rate. If the UART can't keep up then the FIFO fills up and the dongle tells the PC to wait. So this means there is no actual speed limit for a USB CDC virtual serial port. Even if the serial port is configured for 9600 baud this just means the PC driver sends a "Please configure your self for 9600 baud 1 stop bit, no parity" packet, but the PC will feed the device as much data as it will accept. So if the FIFO is being consumed by something faster than a 9600 baud UART the PC will keep sending, even if this is 200Mbit/s. Introducing yourself as a "USB Serial device" simply tells Windows that it should assign a COM port to you so that windows applications can use the serial port API to talk to it.

The actual speed limit is the driver latency, since USB 2.0 controllers are annoying for operating systems to deal with. They don't have very large buffers and need a fair bit of babysitting from the CPU, making it annoying for multitasking OSes like Windows to service fast enough to prevent pauses in the data transfer. This is one of the things that USB 3.0 fixes, allowing for most of those 5/10Gbit of bandwidth to be efficiently used.

Tho in your case the Pi Pico only has USB 1.1 so you are limited to the 12Mbit FullSpeed USB, but you should be able to get pretty close to the theoretical 12Mbit if you use it in an efficient way (large data blocks, minimized latency etc..)

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 06:30:19 pm »
Tho in your case the Pi Pico only has USB 1.1 so you are limited to the 12Mbit FullSpeed USB, but you should be able to get pretty close to the theoretical 12Mbit if you use it in an efficient way (large data blocks, minimized latency etc..)
I'm getting 7Mbits/s with this code at most (you can check the earlier replies to see the results). What do you think I should do to make it faster? I am using the largest package size allowable (64 bytes) in bulk transfer.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 06:41:05 am »
Here are some benchmarks for USB speed https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/usb_serial.html

Turns out there is a rule on USB that should only utilize 90% or 80% of the bus bandwidth (depending on what spec you read since USB 2.0 updates FullSpeed operation a bit) and there is a bit of overhead on top of that. So about 10Mbit is the theoretical maximum and about 9.2Mbit is what he could actually get. So there is room for improvement. It is possible that the driver for the USB device peripheral on your pico is not the most optimized (squeezing the most out of hardware can sometimes take some trickery).

Interestingly OSes are still finding it hard to service USB controllers, so this drops the usable bandwidth some too. Likely because USB FS does not support the bigger 512byte long packets that USB HS has. So the CPU has to do too much babysitting to get full bandwidth.

Oh and as usual USB hubs are always to be weary of. They are known to cause problems in high bandwidth situations. Some motherboards even have on board USB hub chips in order to offer more USB ports.

EDIT:
Also it might not be a good idea to push USB to the limits in a product. I have used the Saleae USB logic analyzers quite a bit. Those stream data live to the PC and use the PCs RAM as the sample memory. When using the max sample rate these, they get unreliable. In favorable conditions (low CPU load, good USB controller, no hubs etc...) it works well, but otherwise it keeps clogging the FIFO, making that sample rate unusable.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 06:47:17 am by Berni »

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2022, 10:23:12 am »
Here are some benchmarks for USB speed https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/usb_serial.html

Turns out there is a rule on USB that should only utilize 90% or 80% of the bus bandwidth (depending on what spec you read since USB 2.0 updates FullSpeed operation a bit) and there is a bit of overhead on top of that. So about 10Mbit is the theoretical maximum and about 9.2Mbit is what he could actually get. So there is room for improvement. It is possible that the driver for the USB device peripheral on your pico is not the most optimized (squeezing the most out of hardware can sometimes take some trickery).

Interestingly OSes are still finding it hard to service USB controllers, so this drops the usable bandwidth some too. Likely because USB FS does not support the bigger 512byte long packets that USB HS has. So the CPU has to do too much babysitting to get full bandwidth.
I think at that point I am in the limits of the spesific implementation of the USB hardware in the MCU, PC side and the USB driver itself. In the example code that I posted I send the largest package with almost doing nothing between each package. Maybe I am missing something, but I assume this is the limit with my configuration.
Oh and as usual USB hubs are always to be weary of. They are known to cause problems in high bandwidth situations. Some motherboards even have on board USB hub chips in order to offer more USB ports.
Thanks for letting me know this. I observed that when I connected PlainDAQ to hub, it gets slower. I can only achieve 7Mbit/s when I connect right at my laptops USB port.

EDIT:
Also it might not be a good idea to push USB to the limits in a product. I have used the Saleae USB logic analyzers quite a bit. Those stream data live to the PC and use the PCs RAM as the sample memory. When using the max sample rate these, they get unreliable. In favorable conditions (low CPU load, good USB controller, no hubs etc...) it works well, but otherwise it keeps clogging the FIFO, making that sample rate unusable.
I'll keep that in mind. Unfourtanetly I need close to the max bit rate I'm getting, I need 6MBit/s and I can at most get 7MBit/s. Earlier @Kean suggested me to use compression. Maybe I can get away with 5Mbit/s with compression, but I'm too sure which one to use or more importantly how to implement them.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 11:22:18 am »
Yeah having USB HS 480Mbit here would be very useful, but MCUs with a built in USB HS PHY are quite rare.

Compression for noisy waveforms is a bit tricky since it works terribly with the simple and easy RLE compression. From my experience wavelet transforms work well for compressing continuous signals. This in itself doesn't make the result smaller, but it does make a lot of values near 0. Allowing you to round them to 0 and then have RLE work very well on it(This is mostly how JPEG works). This is obviously lossy so to make it lossless you also need to include the error signal (that is much smaller so needs fewer bits).

Tho more of a problem is that lossless compression by definition can't grantee a given compression ratio. If you feed it a messy enough uncompressible signal then you simply get no compression or even negative compression. In your case this would make the FIFO overflow and everything to break down.

But if you use lossy compression you can give it a target bitrate, so the data is squeezed down however much is needed to fit. If you give it a particularly uncompressible signal then the result is a particularly distorted signal that still fits in the bitrate. For a wavelet transform this is easily done by adjusting at what threshold data points are rounded to 0 in order to make RLE more efficient. You can often squeeze down the amount of data to only 10% its original size with this.

More of a problem is that lossy compression is generally not desired for a DAQ. In 99% of use cases the lossy compression would not be noticeable at all, especially since it would be very good at compressing the kind of signals it usually gets fed. If anything the data might look better in most cases since the tiny high frequency noise is the first thing the compression is tempted to throw away. But i would imagine quite a few people would hate knowing in the back of there mind that there precious data might have been mucked up in compression along the way.

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 04:40:04 pm »
Yeah having USB HS 480Mbit here would be very useful, but MCUs with a built in USB HS PHY are quite rare.
I know how rare a MCU with USB HS. Controller chips are also not that common and expensive...
Compression for noisy waveforms is a bit tricky since it works terribly with the simple and easy RLE compression. From my experience wavelet transforms work well for compressing continuous signals. This in itself doesn't make the result smaller, but it does make a lot of values near 0. Allowing you to round them to 0 and then have RLE work very well on it(This is mostly how JPEG works). This is obviously lossy so to make it lossless you also need to include the error signal (that is much smaller so needs fewer bits).

Tho more of a problem is that lossless compression by definition can't grantee a given compression ratio. If you feed it a messy enough uncompressible signal then you simply get no compression or even negative compression. In your case this would make the FIFO overflow and everything to break down.

But if you use lossy compression you can give it a target bitrate, so the data is squeezed down however much is needed to fit. If you give it a particularly uncompressible signal then the result is a particularly distorted signal that still fits in the bitrate. For a wavelet transform this is easily done by adjusting at what threshold data points are rounded to 0 in order to make RLE more efficient. You can often squeeze down the amount of data to only 10% its original size with this.

More of a problem is that lossy compression is generally not desired for a DAQ. In 99% of use cases the lossy compression would not be noticeable at all, especially since it would be very good at compressing the kind of signals it usually gets fed. If anything the data might look better in most cases since the tiny high frequency noise is the first thing the compression is tempted to throw away.
This went over my head quite quickly.  |O
For now I just skip this concept all together because it's a very foreign concept for me.
I must thank you for your contribution, I've learnt a lot from you.

i would imagine quite a few people would hate knowing in the back of there mind that there precious data might have been mucked up in compression along the way.
I can relate  ;D

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2022, 08:29:43 pm »
No problem.

Don't worry not all kinds of compression are hugely complicated. The RLE (Run Length Encoding) is incredibly simple even, you simply rewrite "ABCCCCCCCCCD" as "AB9xCD" shortening repeating characters by counting them and saying "Insert X number of these here". But as you can figure this only works well with very repeating data. For wavelet transform it is best to check a good youtube video explanation on what it is and how it works. It basically decomposes the waveform into wavey pulses called wavelets (Much like the Fourier transform decomposes into sine waves). Simple signals can be represented by summing together just a few of these wavelet shapes, so only those need to actually be written down, thus massively reducing the amount of data. Decompression is then simply adding those wavelets up again to get the waveform back. This is pretty much how JPEG and a lot of other lossy image compression works.

For the case of this DAQ it probably makes more sense to instead just capture high speed ADC data to RAM and then transfer it as a single capture. That way you avoid the USB bottleneck all together while a lot of DAQ applications are fine with just fixed length captures rather than a continuous stream.

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2022, 03:52:33 pm »
For the case of this DAQ it probably makes more sense to instead just capture high speed ADC data to RAM and then transfer it as a single capture. That way you avoid the USB bottleneck all together while a lot of DAQ applications are fine with just fixed length captures rather than a continuous stream.
I'll start with no compression and try to find out the maximum data length that I can stream to PC I guess.
I looked around for large SPI rams (PSRAMs and SRAMs) and those are the things that I've found.
https://www.mouser.com.tr/c/semiconductors/memory-ics/dram/?type=PSRAM%20%28Pseudo%20SRAM%29
They are a bit expensive for this application I definitely want to try them out! :D

Maybe PlainDAQ comes with a memory depth option, and the option includes one of these PSRAMs as extra >:D

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2022, 05:16:01 am »
The RLE (Run Length Encoding) is incredibly simple even, you simply rewrite "ABCCCCCCCCCD" as "AB9xCD" shortening repeating characters by counting them and saying "Insert X number of these here". But as you can figure this only works well with very repeating data.
That could work great with a logic analyzer.  :)

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2022, 04:05:04 pm »
The RLE (Run Length Encoding) is incredibly simple even, you simply rewrite "ABCCCCCCCCCD" as "AB9xCD" shortening repeating characters by counting them and saying "Insert X number of these here". But as you can figure this only works well with very repeating data.
That could work great with a logic analyzer.  :)

Yep this is indeed what they use on a lot of logic analyzers to squeeze way way more data into the sample memory. When nothing is moving it is using pretty much 0 memory.

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2022, 05:22:48 am »
GUI Update

Movable/Interactive Vertical cursors for viewing real-time statistical data.

While waiting for the new PCBs, I had time to work on the GUI for PlainDAQ.

Here is a nice gif to show how it works:

It works by pressing and hold down the middle mouse button. When the cursors are active the plot shows the time difference between the cursors, RMS and peak-to-peak value of the samples in between the cursors in the upper left corner as you can see.

What do you think I should add to the statistical measurement?
Here is a list of the measurement capabilities that I like to add:
✔RMS
✔Average
✔Std. Dev.
✔Peak-to-peak
✔Min.
✔Max.

If you want to try it, it's in my Github

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2022, 08:46:09 pm »
It works by pressing and hold down the middle mouse button.

On Windows the middle mouse button isn't too common. Although I am not a user of this project I can say that my logitech mouse isn't set up for middle button (and when it is it's a curled finger operation, so a bit of a faff). Perhaps a configurable option, or ctl+right/left might be appreciated by some users.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, palpurul

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2022, 01:26:01 am »
It works by pressing and hold down the middle mouse button.

On Windows the middle mouse button isn't too common. Although I am not a user of this project I can say that my logitech mouse isn't set up for middle button (and when it is it's a curled finger operation, so a bit of a faff). Perhaps a configurable option, or ctl+right/left might be appreciated by some users.
Thanks for the feedback.
Maybe I just put a button that turns on/off the cursor and let the user place wherever they want by picking a cursor with left button and dragging it with holding the left button.
Does that sound more intiutive?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2022, 12:00:06 pm »
It sounds a little unusual, to be honest! But, on the other hand, it should be easily discoverable, which arbitrary clicks and presses tend not to be. Any reason you couldn't have both? The button for users who don't use that feature much (or are new to the software) and middle-click for power-users?

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2022, 08:23:06 am »
It sounds a little unusual, to be honest! But, on the other hand, it should be easily discoverable, which arbitrary clicks and presses tend not to be.
I'll think about it.
I thought it would be very intuitive, but it seems like it's only intuitive for me :D
Any reason you couldn't have both? The button for users who don't use that feature much (or are new to the software) and middle-click for power-users?
I think it can be done, but I just want to keep it simple.
I'll make one more iteration show both versions.  :)

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2022, 12:11:33 am »
I've been working on a new revision of PlainDAQ and I had an empty space left on my PCB. I decided to fill it up with some visuals related to sampling theory.

Here is what I've drawn: The thick line supposed to be the signal that's being measured and the dotted line supposed to be the reconstructed waveform. To be honest not sure if it's terrrible accurate depiction.  :-// (Well I'm pretty sure it's not accurate now  :-DD :-DD)

Let us hope that it will be printed well on the silkscreen layer  ;D
I drew this on inkscape and imported it to KiCAD via image converter.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:20:52 am by palpurul »

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2022, 07:34:41 pm »
I’ve been working on a number of different aspects of PlainDAQ lately. In particular, I’ve been cost optimizing the PCB, picking components that are easy to source, and working on an intuitive graphical user interface.

First of all please join the poll on what module to use, I need your feedback.
You can also vote in my Twiteer poll: https://twitter.com/AlperenAkkuncu/status/1521929542218264577

Recent Changes to the PCB
  • I moved all the terminals to the same side so they are easier to use. (In the previous version, analog inputs and outputs were on opposite sides, which would have been inconvenient when using both inputs and outputs.)
  • The front-end is a bit more complicated, but it's a lot cheaper and has the same performance.
  • The form factor has changed as well. PlainDAQ was previously 75 x 60 mm, and it's now an 80x60 mm rectangle, so it has a slightly larger footprint.
  • I added a new visual that displays the basic input and output capabilities of the board along with a cool diagram.
  • I added a Qwiic connector.
  • I changed the terminal to a more affordable type. The new terminals also accept Dupont cables which is going to make it easier for you to interface with PlainDAQ.

Help Me Decide Between Wi-Fi & Bluetooth…
I need change the wireless module, but I need your help to decide between…

• An ESP-WROOM-02 Wi-Fi module (first render below)
  • An HM-BT4502(A) BLE module (second render below)

New PlainDAQ with ESP-WROOM-02 (Wi-Fi)

New PlainDAQ with HM-BT4502(A) (BLE)

Please join the poll on what module to use, I need your feedback.

I also like to show the visuals that I added
  • Designed a simple logo
  • Added a simple visual depicting aliasing
  • Added informative text about PlainDAQ
Here it is, tell me what you think  :D

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 07:43:45 pm by palpurul »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2022, 05:09:41 am »
Neat looking board there.

Oh and your sinx/x interpolation appears to be aliasing due to a too low sample rate. (Then again otherwise seeing the dotted line would be difficult otherwise since it would line up almost perfectly)

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2022, 12:07:34 pm »
PROJECT LOG: Developing a reconstruction filter for the DAC in PlainDAQ, to get nice looking sinewaves.
Compared Sallen-key(SK) and Multiple feedback(MFB) topologies.
MFB performed much better in the stop-band.

LTSPICE files:
https://github.com/AlperenAkkuncu/PlainDAQ/tree/main/Development/SPICE_simulation/Active_filter_comparison

I had to choose between sallen-key or Multiple feedback topology, so I compared them.

Here are the circuits that I compared:

Here are the results:

Multiple feedback performed much better in attenuating the stop band.
I added them to the schematic in my KiCAD project. I also added a switch to switch between filtered and non-filtered DAC output to see the difference between, it's going to be a fun little experiment.  ;D
With the help of the switch I will be able to generate square waves with faster rise-time by using the non-filtered DAC output which is a plus.

We also release a new update on CrowdSupply. It's got the new PCB and sneak peak of the GUI.
Subscribe if you want to get the future updates.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:48:58 pm by palpurul »

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2022, 09:51:53 pm »
Hello,
It's been a quite long sine my last post. There are quite a few changes in PlainDAQ

First of all please check the update that we released on CrowdSupply and subscribe from the same page if you want to get updated: update

It's got the revision of PlainDAQ and the sneak peak of the GUI that'll be used with PlainDAQ.

In the meantime I prepared some visuals for PlainDAQ which shows the connections and the components used in it.

Here they are:

Brief:

Components:

Let me know what you think, what do you think about the colors? Do visuals looks descriptive?

Thanks!

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2022, 09:44:52 pm »
GUI update

Hello once again!
Finally I've had time to work on PlainDAQ's GUI. I worked on vertical cursors and I came up with two ways to control vertical cursors and I am trying to decide which way is the best.

Please see the video and let me know which way you think is the best.

In the video I am showing two ways to control cursors. The first method is by middle mouse button and second way is by using ON/OFF button and left click for cursors. This is my first video edit, I hope it looks descriptive and good.  ^-^

Subscribe to PlainDAQ if you want to get updated when we launch: https://www.crowdsupply.com/kuncu-teknoloji/plaindaq
Note: Pre-launch page will be updated soon. The pictures shown in the pre-launch page are old.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2022, 10:12:42 pm »
The right one seems better to me, partly because the left one isn't discoverable and uses non-intuitive controls. Only today I've spent more time that I would be embarrassed to let on trying to remember how to exit the menu on a RD6002 PSU (no, none of the keys used to get into the menu, or the ones used to navigate it - you press the rotary dial). A left mouse click to remove something isn't something I'd guess, and it'd drive me mad trying to use that to make things happen.

But mostly because the right one is how scopes tend to do it - there is usually an explicit cursors on/off  button :)

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2022, 06:03:40 am »
The right one seems better to me, partly because the left one isn't discoverable and uses non-intuitive controls. Only today I've spent more time that I would be embarrassed to let on trying to remember how to exit the menu on a RD6002 PSU (no, none of the keys used to get into the menu, or the ones used to navigate it - you press the rotary dial). A left mouse click to remove something isn't something I'd guess, and it'd drive me mad trying to use that to make things happen.

But mostly because the right one is how scopes tend to do it - there is usually an explicit cursors on/off  button :)
I agree, I think you reccomeded this method when I first post a video about it :D

Thank you for your contribution!  :-+

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2022, 09:27:27 am »
You're welcome :)

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2022, 10:00:05 am »
Another thought on this: with the tickbox/button thing to activate the cursors, it would be much easier to use (and design to use) a touch screen without any change. No idea why that occurred to me when reading about electric cars!

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2022, 10:24:37 am »
Another thought on this: with the tickbox/button thing to activate the cursors, it would be much easier to use (and design to use) a touch screen without any change. No idea why that occurred to me when reading about electric cars!
That actually makes more sense, why didn't I think of that LoL  |O |O |O :-DD :-DD :-DD

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2022, 06:13:35 pm »
Hello everyone!

After a stupidly long delay, I finally managed to get PCBs for our new design, so I used them to assemble two boards, and I think they look great. I hope you all enjoy the new look!

Here are the picture of the PlainDAQ, let me know what you think 👇👇👇 :)

I know they don't look that consistent, I am still learning about photography and my phone is really crap  :)

Check out our new page: https://www.crowdsupply.com/kuncu-teknoloji/plaindaq

This is the update that we released about the new boards: https://www.crowdsupply.com/kuncu-teknoloji/plaindaq/updates/our-new-design-is-assembled

I have made the following changes in this design:
✅ Obviously the new form factor
✅ Added a Wi-Fi Module
✅ Switched to MCP4911 DAC because of availability.

Some people suggested me to remove the Wi-Fi module because new raspberry pi pico W already includes and therefore I am thinking about adding new features, what do you think I should add?

PS: I've also designed I2C controllable filters, but more on that later (you can see it on the update page.

🔵 Lastly Subscribe if you want to get notified when we go live: SUB

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2022, 07:22:44 pm »
I don't see much in the way of input protection (no larger SMD resistors, not much space behind the connectors). Can those inputs take mains voltage?

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2022, 07:29:00 pm »
I don't see much in the way of input protection (no larger SMD resistors, not much space behind the connectors). Can those inputs take mains voltage?

Input protection is something on my list, but I haven't implemented anything in terms of input protection.

It cannot take mains voltage that's too large, maybe you're thinking that it's like a multimeter, but it's more like an oscilloscope.

Input range in this revision is:
+/-4V, +/-2V, +/-1V

However, I am in the process of collecting feedback I can move the ranges to:
+/-8V, +/-4V, +/-2V
+/-12V, +/-6V, +/-3V
+/-16V, +/-8V, +/-4V

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2022, 07:50:13 pm »
A 220k resistor with a parallel capacitor is cheap.

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2022, 05:21:13 pm »
A 220k resistor with a parallel capacitor is cheap.

THis might be something that I don't know, could you explain to me how that protects the inputs?

That's the input section of PlainDAQ. It's terminated to ground with a 1 Meg resistor and a small series resistor. I know that series resistor can protect to some level, but I'm sure it's not going to protect against mains voltage  :-DD

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2022, 01:46:22 am »
A 220k series resistor can hold off mains voltage to the extent the opamp input protection diodes can conduct the current with the resistor burning less than 0.25W, though some external clamp diodes for the opamp still make sense (it's on the edge). With a 10nf parallel capacitor the resistor contributes noise up to around a 100 Hz and won't really be an issue give the ADC precision. R4 needs to go and the RC filter needs to be put behind the opamp.

About the opamp, why not something nice like say MCP6V69?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 02:09:53 am by Marco »

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 06:52:25 am »
A 220k series resistor can hold off mains voltage to the extent the opamp input protection diodes can conduct the current with the resistor burning less than 0.25W, though some external clamp diodes for the opamp still make sense (it's on the edge).

I get it now. with 10nF cap my bandwidth goes down to 450Hz my bandwidth is going to be around 100kHz.

With a 10nf parallel capacitor the resistor contributes noise up to around a 100 Hz and won't really be an issue give the ADC precision. R4 needs to go and the RC filter needs to be put behind the opamp.

Wouldn't resistor contribute to the noise of the overall system until the equivalent noise bandwdith of the input filter (220k, 10nF) which should be more than 450Hz.

About the opamp, why not something nice like say MCP6V69?
That's too expensive, I am trying make something affordable with jellybean parts.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2022, 10:52:37 am »
I get it now. with 10nF cap my bandwidth goes down to 450Hz my bandwidth is going to be around 100kHz.
As I said, the RC filter has to be moved behind the opamp. The 10 nF capacitor would be across the 220k resistor, not across the opamp input. At high frequencies it forms a capacitive divider with the input capacitance of the opamp (almost unity).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:16:39 am by Marco »

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2022, 09:19:44 am »
As I said, the RC filter has to be moved behind the opamp. The 10 nF capacitor would be across the 220k resistor, not across the opamp input. At high frequencies it forms a capacitive divider with the input capacitance of the opamp (almost unity).

Sorry for my late response,

Could you just refer to a schematic? I am just curious to learn about this technique of protection because it's probably something I am not familiar with :)

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2022, 06:32:47 pm »
As raspberry pi pico W is out, there is really no reasons for me have a wi-fi module in PlainDAQ.

I am considering removing the Wi-Fi Module and adding new features.

Any thoughts?​

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2022, 08:59:05 pm »
Unless your may want to use Bluetooth as well. As said, the Pico W doesn't support BT - only WiFi. If you don't care about that, sure.
Or unless 1/ you want your users to be able to use a plain Pico (not W) or 2/ you have found a WiFi module that would be cheaper than on the Pico W (meaning: your board including WiFi module + Pico would cost less than your board without WiFI + Pïco W). But good luck with that as RPi has found a pretty good deal here.

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2022, 06:55:34 am »
Unless your may want to use Bluetooth as well. As said, the Pico W doesn't support BT - only WiFi. If you don't care about that, sure.
Or unless 1/ you want your users to be able to use a plain Pico (not W) or 2/ you have found a WiFi module that would be cheaper than on the Pico W (meaning: your board including WiFi module + Pico would cost less than your board without WiFI + Pïco W). But good luck with that as RPi has found a pretty good deal here.

THere won't be a BLE module in PlainDAQ because I ran a poll quite a while ago and many people preffered the Wi-Fi module. Not many people want BLE module.

Here is the poll: https://www.reddit.com/r/hwstartups/comments/uivmrr/help_me_decide_which_wireless_module_to_use_in/

Pico W costs extra 2$, I don't think I can find a module cheaper than 2$, so it make sense to remove wi-fi module and add new features. Maybe more storage (SDCard interface, PSRAM etc.) or variable supply voltage etc.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2022, 11:46:45 am »
You were going to put the ESP-Wroom-32 in for WiFi, right? But that also does Bluetooth so you could just slap it in and have whatever anyone wants (both at the same time if it rocks your boat).

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2022, 10:49:43 pm »

THere won't be a BLE module in PlainDAQ because I ran a poll quite a while ago and many people preffered the Wi-Fi module. Not many people want BLE module.

Here is the poll: https://www.reddit.com/r/hwstartups/comments/uivmrr/help_me_decide_which_wireless_module_to_use_in/

Pico W costs extra 2$, I don't think I can find a module cheaper than 2$, so it make sense to remove wi-fi module and add new features. Maybe more storage (SDCard interface, PSRAM etc.) or variable supply voltage etc.

Actually yes you can. The ESP32-C3 chip is about $1. Count a few passives around this an a trace antenna on PCB, and done.
If you want something easier to integrate, the ESP32-C3-MINI (as a shielded module) is under $2.

The downside here is (would need to take a deeper look at the DS for the chip they used on the Pico W) is that I think the ESP32-C3 draws more current. If power consumption matters. (Which it probably doesn't if you are considering WiFi anyway...)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:51:15 pm by SiliconWizard »

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2022, 02:10:37 pm »

Actually yes you can. The ESP32-C3 chip is about $1. Count a few passives around this an a trace antenna on PCB, and done.
If you want something easier to integrate, the ESP32-C3-MINI (as a shielded module) is under $2.

That actually makes a lot of sense  |O, but I've already made some progress with rp2040, so I don't really want to make that much change :-//. Besides that, I make use of PIO in RP2040 which makes data acquisition and waveform generation easier, so I kind of prioritize this over other options.

The downside here is (would need to take a deeper look at the DS for the chip they used on the Pico W) is that I think the ESP32-C3 draws more current. If power consumption matters. (Which it probably doesn't if you are considering WiFi anyway...)

You're right power consumption is not one of my concerns at the moment.

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2022, 02:13:20 pm »
You were going to put the ESP-Wroom-32 in for WiFi, right?

Well yes, it was the plan in the past, but right now I've got some e-mails about removing the Wi-Fi module because people can use raspberry pico W for it.

But that also does Bluetooth so you could just slap it in and have whatever anyone wants (both at the same time if it rocks your boat).

There aren't that many people wanting to have bluetooth module on it really :(

Offline EsPiFF

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2022, 08:11:33 pm »

... after a 5 digit sum, to get your custom design certified, if you like to sell it. If you use a tm name like Bluetooth without a certification, to advertise it, the lawyers get after you.

When this project should show only technical possibilities, without an commercial background, for others to learn from or integrate the open source design into there solutions: then you don't need to think on safety or certification.

But when this project is intended to make a business from it (Crowd Supply) and/or should be used to teach and be used, for example by children, then safety standards REALLY should be implemented.

Here some hints:
  • your github repro does not contain schematics in PDF, but native KiCad files. That makes it difficult for people to help you, by looking over the schematics. The repro got updated last month, so my guess would be thats the latest HW version.
  • you should begin your design, by plan to fulfill safety regulations. Its not expensive, nor difficult, to design the product according safety regulations. This safes our children, and enables you to make money from selling products. I see, you spend much time with your own software, but over several PCB releases, still have unprotected inputs. I would make the device compatible with a standard like Sigrok, (or Labview, or GNU Radio, or Octave). They have all the features you will need years to implement by yourself. But that is your choice, you seem to have fun with it. But still: you need to implement at least the basic safety standards.
  • your inputs are connected, with a 100 Ohm resistor, to the DG611 multiplexer. More then + or - 18V will kill this IC. If 220V comes on the input, smoke comes out in best case, and a splitter of an exploded resistor fly to the eye of a bystander and he is blind. Somebody suggested a 220k resistor in series with every input, what is a good start. That is a good start. But keep in mind, that the resistor must withstand the high voltage. A standard 0603 resistor may be spec`ed for only 50V. So use ether a high volt resistor, or connect multiple resistors in series. Safety standards call for 1000V. I would add at least a pair of TVS diode after the 220k resistor, to clamp the voltage to save areas  for the DG611, +8V/-8V 
  • Input compensation: not required by law, but the 220k ask for compensation at higher frequencies. 10nF parallel to the 220k was suggested, but this depend on many factors, and should be measured for best results.

You should also improve your design, to not disappoint your backer. I doubt, that the current design in your github can reach the claimed Values.
  • It begins, before the signal even reach the terminals. You are talking about 450kHz bandwidth, but unshielded terminal inputs? Why no coax? BNC, SMA, or audio chinch? Not even balanced input. Even Audio with its max 20kHz, need shielded cable and ether coax connector, or balanced+shielded cables and connectors. Without this, you hardly get 8 bit. So use BNC or SMA connectors
  • Channel separation: you need ground between the inputs, or cross talk with ruin your 12 bit. With coax connectors, and a good layout, your can reach your planned specs.
  • Your power supply concept is unpractical for an 14 bit ADC. External 5 V from USB is noisy, and the switching regulator to generate the -5V add even more poison. You could use ether specific low noise switching regulator from Linear Technology(now ADI), but they are costly. Or use low noise linear regulators after the switching regulators. I often use the Richtek RT9193 series: they are ultra low noise, have a high PSRR not only at 100Hz, but also up to a few 100kHz, and still low cost. But they are only up to 4.75V available, and only positive. TI makes special ultra low noise linear regulator for positive and negative voltages, but they are not cheap. Also ADI and other make them. Just look in the datasheet for the PSRR over frequency plot. And of course, the output noise. The RT9193 has, for example, only 100 uV RMS noise.
  • Reference voltage: Why do you use a 4.096V reference, and then divide it by 2? And not use a 2.048V reference IC, like the LM4132AMF-2.0, or MAX6071AAUT21+T? The voltage divider have its own tolerances, temperature drift and will ruin your specs. 
  • AD8137WYCPZ-R7... why an 110MHz GBW, 450V/µs slew rate amp on this position? Such a beast needs extreme care to not oscillate, and is expensive. I would suggest you something like the MAX4462: It cost only 1/3th, has the same low Input voltage offset, easier to handle 2.5MHz GBW. But what ever op amp you use there, you should not supply it with the dirty USB-5V.  USB as power supply is good for digital things. To use it for analog parts with a high requirement on accuracy, you need to careful clean it up. Or galvanic isolate it. In your schematic is not a single ferrite bead, or common mode choke. Not even a linear regulator for the op amps. 
  • My advice: You have a working prototype, that is half of the product. Make a concept for safety according the regulations, and a concept for a clean power supply. You need minimum low noise RF linear regulators, separate analog and digital grounds, ether a star ground or galvanic isolation between the analog and digital parts. Specify the PSRR - over -frequency of each regulator, and each opamp. Also study the impedance graphs from different ferrite beads and common mode cokes, to see where they can help.
  • Even you like your own software solution: When you want this project to become a commercial success, or more attraction in the open source world: consider to add compatibility to standard software: the RP2040 supports tinyUSB, and tinyUSB support USBTMC.
    https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/usbtmcusb488-class-implementation-for-microcontrollers/
    https://k1.spdns.de/Develop/Projects/pico/pico-sdk/lib/tinyusb/examples/device/usbtmc/
    As beautiful your own software is: you will get 10x more attention, when backers can use Sigrok with your plainDAQ.
    Your users can then choose between your software and standard software.

• If you want, that people help you: put PDF schematics on your github, then they can help you. Otherwise your on your own. 

The following users thanked this post: palpurul, Roehrenonkel

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2022, 01:02:04 pm »
Hello I am the guy building the PlainDAQ, unfourtunately I had to take a huge brek because my main job won't allow me to work on it :(

... after a 5 digit sum, to get your custom design certified, if you like to sell it. If you use a tm name like Bluetooth without a certification, to advertise it, the lawyers get after you.

PlainDAQ won't include any bluetooth and wifi capability I moved on from it because there is a version of pico with Wi-Fi already.

your github repro does not contain schematics in PDF, but native KiCad files. That makes it difficult for people to help you, by looking over the schematics. The repro got updated last month, so my guess would be thats the latest HW version.
I will upload it tomorrow. The hardware is not the latest I will have to make a few changes TBH.

you should begin your design, by plan to fulfill safety regulations. Its not expensive, nor difficult, to design the product according safety regulations. This safes our children, and enables you to make money from selling products. I see, you spend much time with your own software, but over several PCB releases, still have unprotected inputs. I would make the device compatible with a standard like Sigrok, (or Labview, or GNU Radio, or Octave). They have all the features you will need years to implement by yourself. But that is your choice, you seem to have fun with it. But still: you need to implement at least the basic safety standards.
Safety regulation issue is of the area that I am not really capable of, how should I get started to make something compliant. I haven't so much thought about making it compatible with already existing standarts, but it's a great idea, I was rushing to et something working, so I haven't had a chance to take a deep look into those issues.

your inputs are connected, with a 100 Ohm resistor, to the DG611 multiplexer. More then + or - 18V will kill this IC. If 220V comes on the input, smoke comes out in best case, and a splitter of an exploded resistor fly to the eye of a bystander and he is blind. Somebody suggested a 220k resistor in series with every input, what is a good start. That is a good start. But keep in mind, that the resistor must withstand the high voltage. A standard 0603 resistor may be spec`ed for only 50V. So use ether a high volt resistor, or connect multiple resistors in series. Safety standards call for 1000V. I would add at least a pair of TVS diode after the 220k resistor, to clamp the voltage to save areas  for the DG611, +8V/-8V
I will add proper input protection, noted. THe new version had inputs directly connected to the opamps not the multiplexers, I had to use cheaper multiplexers because of the price and they are 5V rated.

Even you like your own software solution: When you want this project to become a commercial success, or more attraction in the open source world: consider to add compatibility to standard software: the RP2040 supports tinyUSB, and tinyUSB support USBTMC.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/usbtmcusb488-class-implementation-for-microcontrollers/
https://k1.spdns.de/Develop/Projects/pico/pico-sdk/lib/tinyusb/examples/device/usbtmc/
As beautiful your own software is: you will get 10x more attention, when backers can use Sigrok with your plainDAQ.
Your users can then choose between your software and standard software.
That's a glden advice for me and I'd like to really thank you for this suggestion. At this stage I don't even know what Sigrok is, but I will learn it.

The technical addvices you gave me are great. I am trying make it as noiseless as possible and as affordable as possible at the same time, trying to optimize both is not easy as you know :)
14-bit version is out of question at the moment I am only building the 12-bit because 14-bit is too costly for my price range. I will keep your advises in mind when building the new revision.

Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf