Author Topic: Portable Console for PC games - PGS  (Read 6853 times)

Offline MarmottaTopic starter

• Contributor
Portable Console for PC games - PGS
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:45:45 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1606226331/portable-console-for-pc-games-pgs?ref=popular

This thing is at over $300,000 with 9 days to go. Over 1,000 backers have been gullible enough to put over $250 each into it, when there's not even an image of a prototype in the campaign.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Re: Portable Console for PC games - PGS
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:08:53 pm »
I don't think this project can get off the ground with that price. It is too cheap. It looks good but the cost of manufacturing this complex case, never mind the keyboard and game pads, I don't know. Plus it has to use quite a bit of battery power to run these games at decent frame rates. Will they install Windows and Android or the user? If they are, it is included in their already low price.

Again, even if technically possible to make it, getting a production line of smooth polished finished product is going to cost way more!
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:32:26 pm »
+1. It's a nice curiosity device that is totally possible and that I'd certainly buy when it's available, but the way variables are set in there I've got zero hope unfortunately.

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 05:25:17 pm »
I call bs. I think this will go down the way of a lot of kickstarter projects and will not go into production ending up in people losing their money.

Offline tanstaafl

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:45:14 pm »
They have cancelled it now apparently some people spoiled the campaing by asking to many questions or something. Fortuanally they are opening preorder on their own webpage so you can still get one if you want  :-DD

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 04:12:43 pm »
LOL, looks like that all went downhill when they realized that processors did a thing called heating, and as pointed out by someone who knows just a tad about this kind of devices their attempt at a cooling solution was not working at all.

Then it switched to the usual "paranoid mode" where "everybody is attacking us and wants to shut us down"  :-DD

At least they did the right thing by stopping there.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:22:42 am »
LOL, looks like that all went downhill when they realized that processors did a thing called heating, and as pointed out by someone who knows just a tad about this kind of devices their attempt at a cooling solution was not working at all.

Then it switched to the usual "paranoid mode" where "everybody is attacking us and wants to shut us down"  :-DD

At least they did the right thing by stopping there.

Yes, and also I think they realized they couldn't deliver this thing for the price point they had promised people the units for... and make a profit. A miniature Windows console with game pads, main screen PLUS a touch screen (which by the way will need custom software/drivers), all packed in that tiny package, a decent battery and cooling and everything else.... for ~$300? On a first-run.....  :-DD

Also, the comments seem to suggest they have an investor. So the KS campaign showed there is demand for this device and probably investor told them to cut with the campaign as they will not make any money. Either this thing is another unicorn or they will work on it and release it for what it should really cost... probably about $500-600 or more. I am sure crazy gamers will pay those kinds of prices for this thing.

Funny thing is, even though they cancelled their KS campaign, they moved over their pre-orders to their own website pgslab.com, and still selling it for $299. So they can avoid paying KS the fee, but still I can't see how they can sell this thing for $299 and make a worthwhile profit. Maybe they will have a cut-off also like the first 100 people at $299 and that's it. And as far as them having any more or less liability, even with KS they could run away with the money. So what's the difference whether they scam people through KS or their own website payment system? If anything, it would be easier to take money through KS than their own site.

I just don't understand their strategy here. It is a cool device, if they can pull it off... and people are dropping $500-600 on a phone anyways. Gamers would surely pay that much or more for a Windows Laptop/Android tablet with gamepads and dual screens. So price needs to be higher if they have any hope of producing this thing properly.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:47:35 am by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 06:38:56 am »
but still I can't see how they can sell this thing for $299 and make a worthwhile profit.

Remember they don't necessarily need to, especially if there is a decent investor behind you'd typically price your crowdfunding campaign for only 50-80% of the expected post-campaign selling price. The whole point of the campaign is to get people to talk and get enthusiastic about your thing with a strong incentive to join early, and nearly "as a side" raise enough funding to start a decently-sized production batch without too much loss, not make a profit directly. You'll make up for the loss and become profitable later with post-campaign orders.

BUTwhen doing that you'd want to communicate about it, any big successful campaign will insist on how much you'll save compared to the post-campaign selling price by contributing now.

Offline Ontaelio

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 01:41:34 pm »
Aargh, missed all the fun on this scam.
What buggers me no end though is that there seems to be a wave of shameless scammers from Russia. Which leads to people suspecting any Russian crowdfunder. Nowadays we are doomed to be remembered for the likes of Nadir 'cooler3D' Mursalov, not Pazhitnov, Brin or even Kaspersky.
What buggers me also is that bastard's mention of 'complicated political situation in Russia' when inventing the explanation for the 'community manager Alan Williams', who is in fact a Moscow model named Konstantin Valov. The situation here is certainly complicated for some, like the 200+ political prisoners, but certainly NOT for the guy writing on FB from the ad shooting in Moscow as recently as two days ago.

Offline zeeawk

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 04:48:20 am »
As I scrolled down their web page things just kept getting worse and worse.
ATOM Processor, Intel Video, Windows 10??
Even if it does get off the ground, the games it supports are going to be pretty bad.

Not even sure why they have a dual boot option for android. I do think it's kind of neat but weird regardless.
I would probably order one if it had an Nvidia tegra in it.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:25:15 am »
I get the feeling that the amount of scammers is getting worse on kickstarter projects.
By that I also mean the naive scammers. So people who don't actually want to screw over people, but just have a lack of knowledge to make a project work.
So many niche gimmick like products who don't have a change on the market or are simply based on very bad engineering.
Just upload a fancy video and some pics and you're good as gold.

Such a waste of money  :palm:

Offline krappleby

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:30 pm »
definately BS

how can you fit a modern day Graphics display driver like the GTX780 (even an old one) that i have trouble playing some games including ark or bloodborne etc in a small device like this. lol

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:21 am »
Since I really like that kind of device I got myself a GPD Win, which is basically the closest "realistic" version of this... And I love it!
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

The one in this topic was "just a little" optimistic about the size/cooling needs/2nd screen etc and mainly price, but the current Cherry Trail platform can really make that class of device become a thing.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 01:09:20 pm »
price is not that unrealistic, $100 gets you 90% there. $30 gets you wireless pad.

http://www.banggood.com/Teclast-X80-Pro-32GB-Intel-Z8300-Quad-Core-1_84GHz-8-Inch-Windows-10-Tablet-p-1009964.html

problem is anemic GPU = no proper modern games , maybe 10 year old ones.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 01:33:13 pm »
If you're interested in a more realistic gaming / portable linux console project:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
(I'm not affiliated with them, I just like it and own the pandora)
It's expected to be orderable this year, read the forums to get an idea of the massive amount of work thats behind such a device.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 04:31:26 am »
If you're interested in a more realistic gaming / portable linux console project:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
(I'm not affiliated with them, I just like it and own the pandora)
It's expected to be orderable this year, read the forums to get an idea of the massive amount of work thats behind such a device.
:-DD

10 years later and that Pandora design is still chugging along? FOR 600 EUROS? These guys must be smoking something really good.

Give it a fucking rest and buy a GPD Pocket.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 11:05:05 pm »
problem is anemic GPU = no proper modern games , maybe 10 year old ones.
The Win plays 4-5 year old games fine, there's quite a lot of people publishing optimal settings and tweaks. Since screen size is small you can easily reduce resolution while keeping acceptable viewing pleasure.
A tablet like what you posted wouldn't though, passive cooling only like those have will have them throttle down within seconds.
Price

The pyra/pandora... let's not go there, the way they're managed/produced is a joke. Easier to get a unicorn, likely cheaper too. And they're ARM, not x86 with Windows support.
I've got a PocketCHIP for ARM linux stuff - https://getchip.com/pages/pocketchip
Not to mention a Linux VM running on my Win for when needed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf