Author Topic: Projection watch on Indiegogo  (Read 59597 times)

Offline jebcomTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Projection watch on Indiegogo
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:52:13 pm »
Another Indiegogo flexible funding campaign: Ritot.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ritot-the-first-projection-watch/x/4168696#home

It's supposed to project an image onto the user's hand. Maybe a viable product, but in all of the samples shown in the videos and photos, the projected images are way too perfect. That sharp angle and the imperfect surface of a hand will be very difficult to deal with. I wonder if they even have a working prototype yet. If they do, then I think they're too embarrassed of the projection to show the real thing.

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
Re: Projection watch on Indiegogo
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:57:04 pm »
It looks like lots of stock photography to me. Neat idea, but I'll think about it once they are already shipping ;)

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:46:10 am »
You'd have to be nuts to give them money. They haven't even started on the hardware. From the wording of their project plan, I don't even think they plan to design/build it themselves. I think these are just some "idea guys" who hope to raise some cash and then find someone to make it. But that would mean their pricing is also total bullshit. How can they have a meaningful price without at least a POC and some semblance of BOM?

Also:

Prototypes: Our watches are based on a new projection technology that has proven itself. Our task is to bring our model the closest to the technical ideal. We will do our best to achieve this. You will be able to monitor and even control all production stages and give your suggestions to the first working prototypes.

They don't even know what the "first working prototypes" are going to be!

What sets this apart from Mu is that these guys are at least not lying about where they are with development. They aren't pitching fake CGI of the concept as proof of the final product working. So they aren't as unethical as Mu. But I still think you'd have to be crazy to give them money and expect to ever get anything of value out of it.

Offline nuhamind2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:58:43 am »
The best they can do

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:13:43 am »

Model is looking at wrong hand? :palm:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 04:54:25 am »
What's the point of this?
Requires far too much power to project an image onto a wonky surface that's going to be horrible in many light conditions.
What is the advantage over a LCD watch that lasts 10 years on one battery?
That's a rhetorical question of course, the answer is it's just a wank.

The ring shape won't even stay on your arm in the correct rotation  :palm:

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 01:40:57 pm »
The numbers on the far right (minutes/seconds) are going to look like shit compared to the left, which are still going to look bad.

Projecting stuff at such a steep angle is useless. Shine a flashlight across the back of your hand like that. All your hairs, veins and irregularities cast long shadows. Every bump gets exaggerated.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:53:42 pm »
They are probably going to use laser based pico projectors so focusing is not an issue.

But judging their marketing seems like it's focused towards the young and flashy. You know the type that want to attract more attention by placing neons under their car, spinners, annoying bass levels, modding their exhausts to try to sound like a sports car, etc. thinking that girls will notice them more because they are cool ;)

So as stupid as it is, they might have a chance due to the demographics they are targeting are equally stupid.

Edit: I didn't even noticed they are already funded, not surprised at all. But I agree with the rest that these guys not even having a working prototype and their timeline I doubt they'll be able to deliver in time.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:56:06 pm by miguelvp »

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 10:13:35 pm »
Their "office address" is a virtual office front.
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 04:33:45 am »
man those stock photos make me want to buy something, or at least masturbate
and that sexy CGI? SOLD!

Nicely spotted Dave, I didnt even think about that one, but I dont use watches or bracelets, and neither do they apparently :)
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 04:43:01 am »
There's no real reason why they couldn't make the product, it just seems highly unlikely that they're fully aware of the level of small scale integration needed to make it work.

Using a bright RGB LED and ultra tiny LCD panel would work but you'd need a pretty high resolution LCD to counteract the parallax without it looking pixelated. A special lens block would be better, to correct the image optically, but adds physical size.

A micro laser projector module would produce a great image at that range but is a little big for that size device, both in terms of physical size and available battery capacity.
It's also way out of their product price range.
And, their demo shows multiple colors, an RGB laser projector would be even bigger and more expensive.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:57:11 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 06:06:49 am »
Repurposed.

Offline a.malin

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:50 pm »
I can stand to watch people get scammed out of hundreds of thousands of dollars again. So I said something, here was the response I got.

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for checking in about this campaign. At this time, the campaign, ‘Ritot - the first projection watch’, is under review to ensure that it adheres to our Terms of Use (http://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms).

We take the integrity and security of our community very seriously and we greatly appreciate your patience throughout this review process.

If we can help with anything else in the meantime, please let me know.

Regards,

Derek

Trust and Safety
Indiegogo

Who else thinks they're going to let it happen just so they can profit a little off the scam too?

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:14 am »
There's no real reason why they couldn't make the product, it just seems highly unlikely that they're fully aware of the level of small scale integration needed to make it work.

Using a bright RGB LED and ultra tiny LCD panel would work but you'd need a pretty high resolution LCD to counteract the parallax without it looking pixelated. A special lens block would be better, to correct the image optically, but adds physical size.

A micro laser projector module would produce a great image at that range but is a little big for that size device, both in terms of physical size and available battery capacity.
It's also way out of their product price range.
And, their demo shows multiple colors, an RGB laser projector would be even bigger and more expensive.

it's not even the resolution or brightness. it's (1) that crazy angle on the far right. and (2) the crazy irregular surface. it's just going to be an illegible mess, even with a laser.

Offline marcan

• Regular Contributor
  • If it ain't broke I'll fix it anyway.
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 02:31:33 am »

Wow, they must've invented the Dark Emitting Diode!  :-DD

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:10 am »
Let's look at this from their point of view... Do something, lose money... do nothing, gain money. Which one is easier? Maybe they aren't in this for the long run? Make money while it's hot and then just close the shop. Who cares if in few years everyone knows everything there is just a scam.
Their biggest problem right there  "Terms of Use (http://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms)" no mention about the special cases when you are producing hardware you should actually show what you have done so far.

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 11:59:19 am »
A few years later some Chinese OEM will release something remarkably similar to DealExtreme for about $30.

Uhm... DX already did just that, and a lot cheaper than $30 as well.

http://www.dx.com/p/ben-10-style-kids-projector-digital-wrist-watch-4-lr41-53450

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 10:20:03 am »
Perhaps a new term to describe these types of phenomenon: Confunding

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 04:58:39 pm »
Perhaps a new term to describe these types of phenomenon: Confunding

I think scampaign is already an established term for this type of crowdfunding.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 05:52:55 pm »
My friend has a watch just like that! Just push a button and BAM, a naked babe appears on the wall. :-DD
Although it's only one frame.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 12:05:07 am »

Wow, they must've invented the Dark Emitting Diode!  :-DD

jesus christ. somebody at marketing needs to get fired.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 06:52:33 am »
jesus christ. somebody at marketing needs to get fired.

you made a lot of typos in a word "promoted"
$343,972,Flexible Funding, and over a month to go
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 12:37:35 am »
Over $1.3M...that's going to be a lot of pissed off customers when this fails spectacularly.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 04:58:53 am »
According to the end of the page they show some info on the technology behind it now.

They're planning to use a TI DaVinci DSP to drive a TI DLP (Digital Light Projector Micro-Mirror Array), all off a 1400mAH  battery. With Bluetooth.

Uh huh, good luck with that guys!

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf