Author Topic: chargeall  (Read 5239 times)

Offline djococaudTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • General rule : Simpler is Better
    • Djo Labs
chargeall
« on: June 28, 2014, 02:16:44 pm »
Hi everyone, I stumbled on this...

http://chargeall.com/portable-power-wall-outlet/

A battery powered inverter, 85W max, can charge a common laptop 2 times... :D

Scam or not ?
Fight !  :box:

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
Re: chargeall
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:51:21 pm »
So it's an 85w portable inverter with built in batteries.

Sorry no, I'm wrong.

It's an 85w portable inverter with built in batteries and a good marketing campaign.

Offline mij59

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »
If they had used the word freaking, like in freaking solar roadway's i would not have believed it.

A curling iron of 10 W 4 hours ( 100% on time) equals 40 Wh, total energy of the batteries 41 Wh. 
At 85 W output power the run-time is less than half an hour, maybe you can use the power supply  then also as a curling iron.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 04:59:21 pm »
The device has 4x 2900mAh 3.6V lipo batteries -> 42Wh. They claim it can charge a MacBook Pro 2 times. A MacBook has a 63.5Wh battery...

Offline JohnWard

• Contributor
    • Youtube jjward
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »
Probably not a scam, such a device could work.  However the USB outlets are no different from any other rechargeable power bank that can be obtained anywhere for a fraction of the price.

The AC outlet is horribly limited.  Unlikely to be of use with the majority of modern laptops, even ignoring the waste of converting DC to AC and back to DC again.
The other suggestions on what it can be used for look like really desperate attempts to find uses for the product - curling your hair in the park?
Powering a table lamp or desktop fan (both of which are not exactly portable items) in a location which inexplicably has a desk and no wall outlets?

The 'works internationally' part ignores the fact that many countries do not use 120V.

If this is shipped, the buyers are likely to be disappointed with the capacity both in terms of how long it a charge will last, and it being limited to only 85W.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:40 pm »
false claims ->  :bullshit:  :bullshit:  :bullshit:

Offline marcan

• Regular Contributor
  • If it ain't broke I'll fix it anyway.
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 04:57:15 am »
They seem to claim 1.5 charges for an iPad and 2 for a MacBook, even though the iPad has a smaller battery and only requires the presumably more efficient USB output. Their Tech Specs table is also full of errors (1V USB? Identical batteries for both models?). Later in the post they confuse mAh with watts (FAQS section).

The idea is plausible, but the claims are grossly exaggerated. Desktop fan 10 hours? Yeah, right. A USB one, maybe. More like one hour for a typical small 120V fan like they show on the video. MacBook Pro 2 charges? More like one, half if you're actually using the thing at the same time - and that's for the 13" MBP and the large ChargeAll, assuming 100% efficiency (ha!).

Then again, this thing is *huge* for the battery capacity - which at least makes the idea plausible (need space for the inverter). I have a 10000mAh USB power bank that is 1/3 the volume of the 12000mAh ChargeAll.

It'll probably work, but the specs are unimpressive, the claims inflated, and backers will be disappointed with the reality.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:01:12 am by marcan »

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:51:23 am »
exactly, the backers will be disapointed because of those false claims.

otherwise it's pretty doable and the price is enough to cover the manufacturing costs.

but looks like the guys behind the project got some issues with calculations and common sense ;)
42Wh battery -> double conversion -> 30Wh (best case) delivered to the device being charged - so it's something like a half of a charge for the macbook (above mentioned 60Wh battery in the macbook).

Offline djococaudTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • General rule : Simpler is Better
    • Djo Labs
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 06:12:18 am »
Yes, I thing it could be a useful toy to have... But I'm affraid It will be just a toy, 85W is too limited to be really usefull :-//

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:16:25 am »
Is it just me, or is having the edges of the powerpoint a couple of mm from the edge of the box seem a bit unsafe... (partially unplugged device, gripped from the sides)

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 08:27:21 am »
Is it just me, or is having the edges of the powerpoint a couple of mm from the edge of the box seem a bit unsafe... (partially unplugged device, gripped from the sides)

yes, you're right. it's definitely not safe, but it would be literally dangerous for 240V ;) but probably they will have a switch detecting when the plug is fully inserted and start the inverter only when fully plugged in.

but anyways, the idea of such a device is good (i could make use of one myself if it was 220-240V), but their claims are bullshit. and if their claims are bullshit, then the engineering might be bullshit as well ;)

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:17:43 pm »
2.9*4 = 18?  Check
USB = 1V? Check
65Wh battery can charge 60Wh battery 3 times? Check
Flexible funding? Check

Looks like a winner to me

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf