Author Topic: RasPiCommPlus: all-in-one Raspberry Pi extension  (Read 7137 times)

Offline notzippyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
RasPiCommPlus: all-in-one Raspberry Pi extension
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:40:42 pm »

There have been a number of expansion boards made for the Pi, I have liked the work this guy has produced in the past, so this is not just a one off project even though it is on IGG...

http://igg.me/p/997426/x/1733288

I am not associated with this product so all questions should be directed igg site
Nz

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: RasPiCommPlus: all-in-one Raspberry Pi extension
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:03:54 pm »
I like the idea, and can see it being useful for some of the projects I do.  It needs an RTC module (well the RPi does...).
A few missing pieces of info, such as max comms throughput, and most importantly what happens if they don't reach their goal.

Offline RainerW

• Part of Amescon. IT-Trainer @Univ. of Vienna
    • Amescon
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:12:40 am »
Hey Kean & notzippy,
thanks for your interest in our campaign - and thanks for spreading the word, notzippy! It's much appreciated.

As you have probably seen on the indiegogo-site already, Kean, we took your questions to heart and put them in the F.A.Q. More updates coming soon!

About the flexible funding: The RasPiComm+ is finished, so we will start even if we do not reach the goal. Why back our campaign anyways? You'll help us out a lot with financing serial production. Apart from our gratitude, you will receive a substantial price reduction and have your RasPiComm+ in hands before it's available on the market!

The RTC module is included on the RasPiComm+ mainboard - you just need to insert a battery. No more time loss when powering down the RPi

About the comms throughput: We have tested the RasPiComm+ with 4 modules simultaneously with 115.200 baud.

If you have any more questions, input or feedback, please don't hesitate to get in touch!  :-+

Rainer

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:06:53 am »
Thanks for the response Rainer.
I've seen the standard RasPiComm board for sale on the ModMyPi and RS websites, and so I feel comfortable that you're capable and committed to deliver.
This modular version is so much more suitable for my typical projects, so I am very pleased to support you guys... and get some better pricing  :-+

Kean

Offline RainerW

• Amescon
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:28:17 am »
Great to hear you like it!

Yes, we have some experience with extension boards already. The RasPiComm was a way easier project and we learned a lot from it that we could benefit from for the modular RasPiComm+.

Thank you for your support, it is very much appreciated.

Rainer

Offline RainerW

• Amescon
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:35:05 am »
We have posted a few updates and tutorials!

• Using the RasPiComm+ to control LEDs with a slide potentiometer
  • Controlling the RasPiComm+ via webbrowser: Getting started with the WebAPI
  • WebAPI in practice: Controlling the LED-Array with a slider in your webbrowser

You can check them out on our campaign site!

Offline RainerW

• Amescon
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 01:09:43 pm »
Time for a campaign update and new tutorial!

Using the RasPiComm+ to display a picture with the LCD module: Tutorial (direct link)

Questions, comments? Send us a note:
Indiegogo Campaign
Find us on Twitter, facebook

Offline RainerW

• Amescon
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:56:24 am »
Want to have nice SMS-chat with your Raspberry Pi?

Check out our new campaign update and tutorial! Step-by-step from hardware setup to AT-commands.

GSM module tutorial (direct link)

Indiegogo Campaign
Twitter, facebook

Offline RainerW

• Amescon
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »
And another one!  8)

New tutorial and campaign update: Controlling a thermal printer with the Raspberry Pi using the RasPiComm+ RS-232 module

Thermal printer on RasPiComm+ RS-232 tutorial (direct link)

Indiegogo Campaign
Twitter, facebook

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 02:27:09 am »
I really like this...but why is the shipping so expensvie? 35$ shipping on a 14$ board? I think that may explain some of the lack of funding.....

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 02:19:21 am »
Hello Rainer, I am about to receive my first RasPi in the mail in the next few days, a B+ model, so I had a look at your offerings.

It appears some of your design group has a background in industrial networking but I don't see a Can 2.0B module in the list. That is the protocol that I am interested in having. Second issue is this was obviously intended for the original B Pi and not the B+. I hope you are planning a follow on mainboard for the B+ which uses the extra pins intelligently or passes them through. Finally I would like to know about the STM32F you are using, you should quote the part number. This micro family is my favorite right now. Particularly I wish to know if a SWD/JTAG header footprint is provisioned  so that the user can solder one in. Additionally I would wish to run Chibios and port your software to it and have available all unused micro pins brought to an external connector.

Yes I am demanding but without the above feature set I am not interested in anything you have now, so I won't post this question to your Indiegogo forum. You have permission to cut and paste my question there and your answer if you want.

Offline RainerW

• Amescon
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:54 am »
I really like this...but why is the shipping so expensvie? 35$ shipping on a 14$ board? I think that may explain some of the lack of funding.....

Hi!

First off: You do need at least the RasPiComm+ mainboard and a module to make it work. Having only the $14 module won't do anything for you.

That said: What makes the RasPiComm+ great is it's modularity. When using only one module (e.g. $14 for an input/output or RS232) you miss out on the prime perk (great versatility and still easy to use). So we figured most people would at least get the mainboard and 3-4 modules. So we set a flat fee for shipping. No matter how many modules you want, you pay one shipping fee and that's it.

$35 is quite a shipping fee, no doubt. A company sending hundreds of packages a week would have way better shipping conditions to boot. We are a small startup company and don't have that throughput, so we didn't get any special conditions.

You might be right in your assessment that this puts a lot of people off so they don't actually take a closer look at the campaign or what it is about. Seems that even crowdfunding campaigns are all about being cheap and having a shiny picture of what the product might once look like and not about giving startups the final push they need to put together something great.

I must admit, we're not about the bling. We're about enabling people to get into mechatronics. Way too uncool for Indiegogo.

Best regards,
Rainer

Offline RainerW

• Amescon
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 08:46:17 am »
Hey chickenHeadKnob!

It appears some of your design group has a background in industrial networking but I don't see a Can 2.0B module in the list. That is the protocol that I am interested in having.

The Can-Module is one of the modules on the roadmap, along with 1Wire, 16 isolated I/O, stepper motor module, KNX, 433MHz and a few others. These will not be available at launch, but are WIP.

Second issue is this was obviously intended for the original B Pi and not the B+. I hope you are planning a follow on mainboard for the B+ which uses the extra pins intelligently or passes them through.

The RasPiComm+ is designed to work with the B as well as the B+. A lot of people are still and will continue to use the B, we do not plan to sacrifice the compatibility with it by using the B+ GPIO header length. The RasPiComm+ does not need those GPIO pins either, but you can of course adress them directly or use them for another extension.

Finally I would like to know about the STM32F you are using, you should quote the part number. This micro family is my favorite right now.

STM32F103RCT6

Particularly I wish to know if a SWD/JTAG header footprint is provisioned  so that the user can solder one in.

There is a development header module available.

Additionally I would wish to run Chibios and port your software to it and have available all unused micro pins brought to an external connector.

We don't support Chibios at the moment, CPLD and STM drivers are open source whoever. If you have the knowhow, you can port them. Heck, you could design your own modules and write your own CPLD/STM code if you want to really get into it.

Offline RainerW

• Amescon
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »
Opening your door with your cell phone: The RasPiComm+ Access Control System

Check out our latest tutorial!
   RasPiComm+ Access Control System tutorial (direct link)

Indiegogo Campaign
   Twitter, facebook

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf